Blocking members

Started by Callista, December 01, 2012, 08:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callista

This may sound silly but I think someone may have blocked me by mistake.  We were in the process of setting up a story and when I went to reply I found I was blocked.  I couldn't find any information on how to block and I wondered if it could happen by accident.  They was really no reason to block as there was no real issue we were discussing except 1st  vs 3rd person.
Graze on my lips; and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie.  William Shakespeare
Different hearts beat on different strings
Apologies and Absences
Ons & Offs
Another Ons & Offs
Roleplay Request

Trieste

It's difficult to block someone by accident, so it is very likely that this was intentional.

Callista

Very odd... I guess I just have to accept that.  Thanks!  ;D
Graze on my lips; and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie.  William Shakespeare
Apologies and Absences
Ons & Offs
Another Ons & Offs
Roleplay Request

Trieste

You're welcome. Sorry about that.

Callista

meh , stuff  happens.  :P
Apologies and Absences
Ons & Offs
Another Ons & Offs
Roleplay Request

liulugoommohome

Callista

Apologies and Absences
Ons & Offs
Another Ons & Offs
Roleplay Request

ReijiTabibito

Here's a question.  If someone has blocked you, and you send them a message, will the site tell you that you have been blocked?

Callista

That's how I found out.  I replied to the message and a notice came up saying I was blocked.  It was odd, so I thought maybe they did it by accident, but I guess that would be hard to do.  I was quite shocked as to why, it's not like I was harassing them.
Apologies and Absences
Ons & Offs
Another Ons & Offs
Roleplay Request

Haibane

If you are genuinely surprised by this and have no idea why they'd do it, you could ask a staff member to contact them on your behalf I suppose and politely enquire why. The person may choose to not explain and that's their perogative but it might help and it is just possible someone did it by accident.

Callista

I was told it was rather hard to do it by accident, so I didn't pursue  it.   I seriously have no clue why the  person blocked me, a simple I don't want to continue the RP would have been sufficient. We hadn't even really begun and were still working out a few details.  The only indication I got of any issue was they said they didn't want to write in first person, which is an easy fix.  My advise is to chalk it up to experience and move on.  There are so many talented writers here, who ever blocked you, isn't worth the time to worry about it.
Apologies and Absences
Ons & Offs
Another Ons & Offs
Roleplay Request

Oniya

Quote from: Haibane on December 05, 2012, 05:29:48 AM
The person may choose to not explain and that's their perogative but it might help and it is just possible someone did it by accident.

It takes no fewer than three and usually four discrete clicks to block someone from sending you PMs, in addition to typing their name.  As Trieste said, very hard to do accidentally. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Star Safyre

Isn't it a violation of the rules to try to get around someone's block, even if you're asking staff to do it?
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

Trieste

Star Safyre

Ah!  My spidey senses were correct!  Thankies!
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

Miss Lilly

Callista....have you tried pm'ing them again?  I had something similar happen to me a while back.  Only, it was a staff member.  I actually posted a question in here about it, because I thought it odd that a staff member had blocked me.  Once I knew I wasn't actually blocked, I tried again, and it went through. Veks looked into it, as I recall, but I don't remember if he worked out what the gliche was.

Anyway...try pm'ing again, and see what happens.
Want to get wild in the west?
Visit Lola's!

Vekseid

It actually says you're blocked when you are.

I'm not entirely sure why it sometimes doesn't work. Old software is old and huge forum is huge. Could be 4k pms/day is hard to keep up with at times.

Callista

Quote from: Water Lilly on December 06, 2012, 01:22:16 AM
Callista....have you tried pm'ing them again?  I had something similar happen to me a while back.  Only, it was a staff member.  I actually posted a question in here about it, because I thought it odd that a staff member had blocked me.  Once I knew I wasn't actually blocked, I tried again, and it went through. Veks looked into it, as I recall, but I don't remember if he worked out what the gliche was.

Anyway...try pm'ing again, and see what happens.

I suppose if it were a staff member I would at least try.  I'm pretty sure this person blocked me because they didn't want to explain why they didn't want to write in first person, I know silly.  The thing is I could tell they were someone who had been writing here for a while.  They should know better.  As I said a simple thanks but no thanks would have been better.  I guess they thought so much of themselves, they thought I would plead with them to write with me.  LOL  There are other fish in the sea, who want to swim with me.
Apologies and Absences
Ons & Offs
Another Ons & Offs
Roleplay Request

Beguile's Mistress

Callista, in your case the system may have shown a block when one really didn't exist.  If you try again you may not be blocked.  If you are still blocked it's all water under the bridge or over the dame and we can all move on and let the matter drop.

For everyone - If you've been blocked you can try to contact the member again by PM on the chance there may be a glitch in the system.  However, if you truly have been blocked deliberately by the other member there is nothing that can be done.  Please accept the fact and move on. 

Callista

I actually did try again after 24 hours before I even posted the question here.  It's really not that big of a deal.  I'm not wounded by it at all.  I was just curious if it could happen by accident, because I would have attempted to reconnect with the person, if possible.  I have moved on.
Apologies and Absences
Ons & Offs
Another Ons & Offs
Roleplay Request

Beguile's Mistress

Thank you, Callista.

For future reference Staff does not investigate blocking contact between members of our community.  We never have.  We will suggest blocking people if they make you uncomfortable in any way.  If someone has blocked you your only recourse is to accept it.  Should you feel the block was in error or a mistake try occasionally to contact the member via PM and in the absence of success accept the fact that you were blocked.

Mr Bigglesworth

So now I'm curious, where does one go to block somebody, the option isn't making itself obvious to me.  I don't want to block anybody, I'm just curious now how it works.

Oniya

Click Profile.  You'll see a menu for Modify Profile, and on that is Buddies/Ignore List.
From that, click on Edit Ignore List.
Type the name of the person you want to block.
Go back to Modify Profile
Click on Personal Messages
Make sure that the Receive From: box reads 'All except ignore list.'
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Mr Bigglesworth

Thanks - I thought I'd seen it somewhere, its hidden a little, I guess that's good as it helps avoid doing it by accident.