News:

Main Menu

So, how large is it?

Started by Lilias, December 26, 2012, 05:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManyMindsManyVoices

"Yeah, there are a lot of factors. People who aren't good at this, probably cheat or just don't take it at all. However, on a site like this, it's not surprising there are a lot of verbose mother fuckers. The nature of play-by-post style role-playing makes it kind of a necessity. Beyond that, practice does make perfect. Lilias is right, if you have the basics of English down, you'll probably learn far more in a few months here than you might in a year or two in a classroom."
My O/Os * Everyone should read 1/0

This is the Oath of the Drake. You should take it.

TheHatintheCat

27,500!  And I'm okay with that.
Ons and Offs
A/A UPDATED back as of 2/2018!
Story Ideas

meilimiao

Quote from: alxnjsh on December 26, 2012, 05:35:31 PM
Can I say that towards the fourth column on the second page I started to feel very stupid!  ::)

I'm glad I wasn't the only one.  >_>

Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be:
words

Hmph.  Not bad for a non-native English speaker, I suppose :>

~Meili
I am a fire; you're gasoline.  Come pour yourself all over me.
Open for play, if you like what you see.

ambrosial

"Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be: 38,800 words."

I think it's the lit degree and obsessive reading. I read Dickens when I was about 8 because I'm a freak like that. >.>

(I absolutely suck at math and hard sciences, though, so it evens out.  :P)
We'll make the honeysuckle jealous.

Ambrosial's Wine Tasting - Original and Fandom Plots (Updated May 2014)
Ons and Offs and Current RP - Updated Sept. 12, 2014
Avatars- For a visual sampler (Updated June 2, 2013!)
Absences - Semi-Absent Through 01/20/15. Please read!

meilimiao

Quote from: ambrosial on January 15, 2013, 09:38:31 PM
"Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be: 38,800 words."

I think it's the lit degree and obsessive reading. I read Dickens when I was about 8 because I'm a freak like that. >.>

(I absolutely suck at math and hard sciences, though, so it evens out.  :P)

Yum, a bibliophile :>
I am a fire; you're gasoline.  Come pour yourself all over me.
Open for play, if you like what you see.

Cthonig

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who played Vampire and looked up clan names and such to find out if they were real words (caitiff - in the test). Also nice to know I'm not the only person to read a dictionary recreationally.
   Although it seems like I might have been the only one to copy the words I didn't know or wasn't sure of into MSWord to check for meanings after the test. I was embarrassed and annoyed that I couldn't remember some words meanings – I used to know them. There was a word I didn't know and had not seen before so I didn't check it off but I did correctly guess the meaning – I was very surprised when I verified the meaning afterwards.
   What is amusing is that MSWord doesn't know some of those second page fourth column words either.

Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be: 39,600 words

Sahariel

29,800 Words. Where is my Thesaurus?

Chris Brady

I've noticed something, a lot of the E ladies have a higher word count than us guys on average.  Very interesting.

And humbling, I admit.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

ManyMindsManyVoices

"That doesn't surprise me a bit. My observation is, ignoring whatever tendency for men or women to be smarter (I don't know that there is one), women (or at least effeminate individuals) seem to be more prone to description, while men (or masculine individuals) seem more prone to be blunt or straightforward. It may be causation (testosterone/estrogen makes people more likely to act one way or another) or correlation (we expect certain things of men and women, as a whole, so it creates a tendency for even non-male masculine or non-female feminine individuals to act a certain way)."

"However, remember that this is also not an accurate sampling of people as a whole, this is E. That means certain men and women are attracted to this place, so that skews the results as well. Of course, the results are even more skewed, as I noted before, by the types of people willing to perform the test (not to mention cheat), or even notice this section of the website."

"Anyway, altogether, I've noticed a definite tendency for females on this site to have dressed up signatures and O/O pages, and less so for males. Thus, the seemingly more 'artistic' (or whatever word you'd like to use) feminine individuals are more likely to be more expressive, which is very important to note. A large vocabulary doesn't necessarily indicate a 'smarter' individual (as many people would like to think, not necessarily anyone here, but still), it denotes someone more interested in expressing themselves. Of course, it might also denote an individual more likely to read flowery prose."

"I realize that's very stream-of-consciouness-y (that's usually how I write these sorts of things), but it's all bits of information to consider when looking at something like this."
My O/Os * Everyone should read 1/0

This is the Oath of the Drake. You should take it.

Barding

"Your vocabulary size is estimated to be: 38,400 words"

Not too shabby, but, like Ambrosial, I blame the literature degree and book-devouring tendencies.

My downfall's also similar...I can hardly count beyond my age at any given time.
:: O/Os ::
Updated 09/08/2021

:: Cravings ::
Updated 20/09/2021

:: Accepting new stories only in very special cases. ::

Oniya

Quote from: Chris Brady on January 16, 2013, 04:06:40 AM
I've noticed something, a lot of the E ladies have a higher word count than us guys on average.  Very interesting.

And humbling, I admit.

I don't know about the younger ladies, but when I was in school there was a stronger 'push' to pigeonhole women into the language arts and men into the sciences.  (I bucked the curve, and ended up with some very attentive math professors in college - there were some classes that barely made the minimum size.)  These days they're trying to rebalance that, with things like the STEM program.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

ambrosial

Quote from: meilimiao on January 15, 2013, 09:46:51 PM
Yum, a bibliophile :>
Ambrosial fully endorses tasty reading. ;)

Quote from: Oniya on January 16, 2013, 07:28:45 AM
I don't know about the younger ladies, but when I was in school there was a stronger 'push' to pigeonhole women into the language arts and men into the sciences.  (I bucked the curve, and ended up with some very attentive math professors in college - there were some classes that barely made the minimum size.)  These days they're trying to rebalance that, with things like the STEM program.
My own experiences were the opposite. Everyone in my educational experience tried to steer girls to engineering, math, etc (most of my female friends ended up going into biochemical or nuclear engineering). But I just hated all of those subjects. I could be good at them, when I studied, but that sort of thinking was so against my nature.

Now I'm a practicing archivist with a Information and Library Science degree - a humanities hybrid?

Anyway. Done derailing the thread now.
We'll make the honeysuckle jealous.

Ambrosial's Wine Tasting - Original and Fandom Plots (Updated May 2014)
Ons and Offs and Current RP - Updated Sept. 12, 2014
Avatars- For a visual sampler (Updated June 2, 2013!)
Absences - Semi-Absent Through 01/20/15. Please read!

Oniya

*peeks*

Like I said - the younger ladies may have a different experience.  ;)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Saidi

Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be:  35,100 words.

Not bad for a second, might as well be first, language.  Hahah nice moral boost, I'll try to remember this next time I hit writer's block.
Laughter is the shortest distance between two people. --Victor Borge

Help me revive my muse?

Deamonbane

bleh, I thought I was proficient in the English language... 26,500... I hear it is good for a second language, but still...
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Tharic

Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be: 25,300 words.

mj2002

Quote from: Avis habilis on January 15, 2013, 08:28:51 AM
For someone who speaks it as a second language, it's masterful! By way of comparison, the average native English speaker tops out at 10,000.

Elliquiy just happens to be rife with bookworms, I think.

I scored consistent 9 out of 10s on my university English course though. I guess I just expected a bit more. Time to start reading dictionaries and Jane Austen books I guess.

Callie Del Noire

That last column was HARD.

Neroon

Am I the only one that did it in rows, not columns? 

I think that had I done it in columns I would not have scored as highly, as my memory deteriorates when I am put under stress.  The fact that I was two thirds of the way down the page before I noticed that every fourth word was harder than the others means I was much less stressed looking at those words than had I thought to do it in columns and so I remembered the meanings easier.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

My yeas and nays     Grovelling Apologies     Wiki
Often confused for some guy

Lilias

Quote from: Neroon on January 20, 2013, 09:50:27 AM
Am I the only one that did it in rows, not columns? 

I'm much more likely to skip rows than columns, especially when there are as many as that, so I try to go vertically whenever it's an option.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

The Unholy Potato

Well, this was much more enlightening and relevant to my interests than the sort of link I'd expect, given the thread name. Still, it was quite a good deal of fun. I hit 35,800 words, which I consider to be reasonable, given that I think I'm near the younger end of the Elliquiy populace (though, of course, that's basically just conjecture).

I'll probably double back and take another look at it, as I did go through it relatively quickly. I think I didn't miss-mark anything, though.

Miriam‪

Some words in that test just don't exist! It wasn't fair! But hey, it's not too bad for a non-native huh?

Caehlim

"Wow, this is so easy, how can this be a test... let's move onto the last column and... oh."

38,200 apparently.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

Caehlim

Quote from: Oniya on December 29, 2012, 06:59:34 PM
You know how some people get on Wikipedia and follow hyperlinks for hours?  I was doing that in grade school.  With real encyclopedias.  By the time dinner rolled around, I'd have half the set spread out on the family room floor.

I've been there.

According to my parents, in primary school my brother was once given a homework assignment to count the numbers of certain objects in their house. Doors, windows, etc... and books.

My parents had to include a note apologizing for not getting the assignment complete because we had lost count somewhere around 3,000.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

Lilias

I'd never manage to count all the books in the house. They're stashed in the unlikeliest places - anywhere that could double up as storage. I'm sure there are some batches I've forgotten about, and I'll find them only when we move.

There are two encyclopedia sets at my mum's that provided my growing self with endless reading material. I plan to bring them over sometime, because, even though they're decades out of date, they still make for exciting reading and viewing (some of the photos are Pulitzer material).
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI