Galaxy Nexus

Started by Autumn Sativus, January 10, 2012, 02:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autumn Sativus

Does anyone have this phone? My SO just got a BlackBerry Storm and I'm looking to finally jump on the smartphone bandwagon. I can get this phone for $160 so I'm not too concerned about cost, I'm just looking to find some info from users on how it works for them. :-)
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

I have it and it's awesome. It's the best smartphone on the market at the moment, as it was intended to be.

Martee

I just got mine this weekend. I went in for the RAZR but for the same price they had the Galaxy Nexus, which already had the updated OS, larger screen, yadda yadda.

It's so fast. Mr. Martee has the iPhone 4 and he is wicked jealous of the Galaxy Nexus. I cannot believe the processing speed and memory in it- I once upon a time built a gaming computer with the same specs.

Oh my gosh, and the most adorable thing ever? The ringtones are all named for galaxies, and the notification tones after stars. Which also leads me to my one gripe: it doesn't have all the standard android ringtones. Minor quibble, as I know I can google around for them, but I was miffed I didn't have 'growl' available right out of the box.

Cool thing: Facelock! Look at the phone, it recognizes you and unlocks! How cool is that?

About damn time thing: The device isn't tied to one, and only one google account (like my tablet). Therefore, I can switch between gmail accounts on all the google apps.

Um. So can you tell I love the phone? And I don't even like cellphones!

Status as of March 5th: In like a lion - only one response outstanding

Well, don't be fooled by the specs. These are low-power devices, and you won't get the same performance out of a dual core 1.2ghz mobile processor that you would out of a modern desktop equivalent. The GN is not a powerhouse, either; the Galaxy SII that's been out for a while is slightly more powerful in every way. The major difference is that the GN will have priority on all Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade schedules. The software will make up for the mildly outdated hardware, at least for a while

Martee

Well, I'm not trying to game on it- I don't even have Angry Birds installed  ;D  I just thought it was amusing, how much punch they can pack into these wee little cases, when I used to suck every watt I could out of a 350W power supply to keep all the case fans running.

4G is very zippy, though. I am well-pleased with the phone. A fair step up from my G1.

Status as of March 5th: In like a lion - only one response outstanding

Autumn Sativus

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it. I think this will be my planned next phone, a great upgrade from my keyboard phone to my first smartphone in either case, I'm sure. ;D
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

When it comes time, I'd be happy to give you app recommendations. :)