Deception: Murdered in Hong Kong Game Thread

Started by Galactic Druid, January 04, 2016, 10:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remiel

Corpse Condition - Still Warm, Stiff, Decayed, Incomplete, Intact, Twisted

The FS has picked Decayed.

Madame Professor

I... have no idea what to make of this clue....
The Professor's Research Notes (O/O)  Locked away in the Laboratory (A/A) 
Not currently available for new roleplays
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

Verasaille

I don't see any reason to deviate from my original guess, (not official yet). It still points to Sherlock and electric current. I would need some kind of evidence to point elsewhere to consider it.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

persephone325

I feel like "Decayed" might mean that the body wasn't discovered until some time later.
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Blythe

Electric Current would mean the corpse was warm, stiff, or twisted--not decayed. And none of my evidence points to Decayed. If Remiel really wanted to point to me for sure, he wouldn't have picked "Decayed."

Personally, I think Injection might be looking a bit better right about now for manner of death--it's possible to die instantaneously via injection and do so accidentally in a bathroom. Vera's 'Rat' evidence also fits 'decayed' to me. :/

I'm thinking Remiel played that last clue to tell folks they were on the wrong track somehow?

I don't even know. >_<

Strangefate

Yeah, I don't know what to make of Decayed either.  I'm not sure what it's supposed to point towards.  None of the murder methods cause decay.  It's just what happens if the body is left without being found, right?  The evidence pieces Dirt and Insect are about the only things I can think to link to that clue.
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

"Vanitas Vanitatum!  Which of us is happy in this world?  Which of us has his desire?  or, having it, is satisfied?" - George Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair

BAMF

Yeah, with electricity, I imagine stiff or twisted more than decayed. Decayed sounds like someone would have left the body to rot somewhere. With the bathroom, I feel like the body would have been discovered quickly/easily. Decayed sounds like the person's been dead awhile.
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
by a series of small things
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

Madame Professor

Well... if it is pointing towards the evidence... Hmmm, Oil Stain maybe (it's a bit of stretch, but stains are old)? I just still don't really see anything that fits accident and bathroom....

Hmmmmmmmm.... -thinks-
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

Blythe

Personally, here are my suspicions (should be noted that I am not making any formal guesses at this time, and I honestly still don't strongly suspect anyone in particular--I am including things that are associated with cleaning since 'Decayed' makes me think of filth, not just the condition of the body--this is just to get my thoughts out there):

Yugi006: Cleared. Nothing of his remotely fits.

Strangefate: Cleared. Nothing of his remotely fits.

Assassini: Not quite cleared. Machine may still fit. There are a myriad of machines (like a dehumidifier) that can be in a bathroom that could be used for a quick kill. None of his evidence fits strongly, though. The only thing that could maybe fit at all is Tattoo if the manner of death decayed its appearance, but that seems like a serious long shot to me.

Sherlock: Obviously I'm not clear with Electric Current, but none of my evidence fits at all.

Madame Professor: I'm not ruling out Overdose--those deaths can happen super fast depending on the manner of drug. 'Cigarette Ash' is the only thing that fits to me for evidence--it's got a nasty decayed look. Again, though, this is a supposition only. 'Tissue' also could be found in a bathroom and could have some sort of decayed blood, maybe?

BAMF: Not cleared. Injection clearly fits. And Insects go exceedingly well with 'Decayed.'

Verasaille: Not cleared. If I'm including Overdose, Pills is a possible death. This seems unlikely, though, given that the death was instantaneous. But Vera's 'Rat' evidence clearly fits perfectly with "Decayed."

James Moriarty: Not cleared, but no manner of murder fits. For evidence, though, "Dirt" fits both 'Decayed' and 'Bathroom.'

Persephone325: Cleared. Nothing fits here.

Remiel

Day of Crime - Weekday, Weekend, Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter

The FS has chosen Summer.

Assassini

Time to make a list? Time to make a list. Let's DO this shit.

Sorry folks, I need to do my own one to get my mind together with this! Plus, it sounds like the last two clues have thrown a bit of a spanner in the words regarding who is our accused. Or at least the decayed thing definitely did...

So, our clues thus far:

Cause of Death- Suffocation, Severe Injury, Loss of Blood, Illness/Disease, Poisoning, Accident

Location of Crime - Living Room, Bedroom, Storeroom, Bathroom, Kitchen, Balcony

Duration of Crime - Instantaneous, Brief, Gradual, Prolonged, Few Days, Unclear

I have to say, I feel like Remi has gotten really unlucky with his Evidence cards so far because I'm struggling to link anything to a lot of them.

Deductions n' shit

Sherlock said these guys were exonerated, but if we are suspicious of him then we should take that with a pinch of salt

Player: Yugi006
Means of Murder Cards: Sulfuric Acid, Arsenic, Gunpowder, Punch

Key Evidence Cards: Plastic bottle, Bell, Speaker(s), Graffiti

Notes: Really struggling to fit any of the clues with ANY of the evidence, so I guess he's out of the running for the moment

Player: Strangefate
Means of Murder Cards: Dagger, Pistol, Pesticides, Bite and Tear

Key Evidence Cards: Sponge, IV Bag, Chalk, Mask

Notes: Same as above.

Player: persephone325

Means of Murder Cards: Virus, Wrench, Drill, Video Game Console

Key Evidence Cards: Diamond, Cleaning Cloth, Fiber Optics, Stockings

Player: Assassini
Means of Murder Cards: Trophy, Blender, Machine, Match

Key Evidence Cards: Sunglasses, Toy blocks, Tattoo, Name Card

Notes: I'm going to go ahead and exclude myself from the investigation. Sherlock MAY have a point that Machine COULD fit, but let's be fair, if you wanted someone to think machine then you'd have a far better time if you chose somewhere else (even like Storeroom from the card above).

Player: Sherlock
Means of Murder Cards: Kick, Electric Current, Hammer, Work

Key Evidence Cards: Oil Stain, Wallet, Model, Invitation Card

Notes: So, I understand Electric current was the previous favourite so I've tried to really home in on the evidence here. The Wallet could fit if the body was decaying, so nobody had found it for ages and it still had all its stuff. And an Invitation Card makes me think of Summer parties (in a well to-do locale). I actually think Work could still fit the murder weapon though, like an Accident at Work? Y'know? Even if it is in a Bathroom.

Player:Madame Professor
Means of Murder Cards:Packing Tape, Overdose, Mad Dog, Venomous Scorpion

Key Evidence Cards: Computer mouse, Cigarette Ash, Sock, Tissue

Player: BAMF
Means of Murder Cards: Injection, Towel, Illegal Drugs, Ice Skates

Key Evidence Cards: Uniform, Flip flops, Suit, Insect

Notes: You know, I think there is a lot to work with here. Insect definitely fits the whole Decayed thing. Plus, I can totally see dying instantly while Ice Skating. I don't think the drugs quite fit, but I reckon a bit of a stretch could allow you to see an Injection with the wrong substance as a near instantaneous form of accidental murder. Plus the Flip Flops are definitely a very Summery thing.

Player: Verasaille
Means of Murder Cards: Pills, Poisonous needle, Dumbell, Plastic Bag

Key Evidence Cards: Earrings, Apple, Rat, Receipt

Notes: Definitely also plausible, with Rat fitting the Decay thing perfectly once more

Player: James Moriarty

Means of Murder Cards: Kerosene, Candlestick, Lighter, Electric Bike

Key Evidence Cards: Signature, Dirt, Magazine, Hanger

Okay... When it comes down to it, I made absolutely no progress with this that you guys hadn't made already. In fact I think I've only confused myself further here by going through this so quickly. I'll need to take some time to think things through.

However, it is worth considering something here: Remiel might have realised that his Clue cards are extremely vague and difficult and so might have focused incredibly hard on the murder weapon in order to try and make us guess the right one of those and then go through the various pieces of evidence following that. I'll hope that when it comes to covering Clues up that he gets a better card to direct us, because otherwise I am really struggling here.

BAMF

THE CLUES:
Cause of Death: Suffocation, Severe Injury, Loss of Blood, Illness/Disease, Poisoning, Accident
Location of Crime: Living Room, Bedroom, Storeroom, Bathroom, Kitchen, Balcony
Duration of Crime: Instantaneous, Brief, Gradual, Prolonged, Few Days, Unclear
Corpse Condition: Still Warm, Stiff, Decayed, Incomplete, Intact, Twisted
Day of Crime: Weekday, Weekend, Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter
THE SUSPECTS:
Assassini:
I can't fit an Accidental death with his Means. Nor do most of them work in regards to a Bathroom location.
BAMF:
I can see accidents with drugs and injections very well. A bubble gets in to a blood stream, and whoops. Towel, while not something that reads as instantaneous, does read very Summer, as do my flip flops. Ice Skates don't fit with Summer. The Flip-Flops & Insect both fit well with Summer & Decay, though. This isn't reading well for me, is it?  :-X
James Moriarty:
Though I like the idea of an accidental Vespa death, I'm unsure how one would fit a Vespa in a bathroom, unless you're very, very determined. Or the body's been moved. But that seems like a stretch. Otherwise, JM's Means don't seem to fit our Clues, though he does have a Magazine as Evidence which might fit the Summer clue (the Summer edition? Idk, just tossing out ideas).
Madame Professor:
Again, drug- or injection-related death seem fairly plausible to me, though I'm having a hard time placing any of her Evidence with our Clues.
persephone325:
None of her Means really fit our Clues so far. The only thing that seems to fit anything we have is the Cleaning Cloth Evidence, but when the Means don't fit, the suspect is scratched.
Sherlock:
Though Sherlock has the most Instantaneous death in my eyes, I'm having a hard time placing his evidence in with our clues. Nothing reads as Decayed or Summer to me. With only the Electric Current fitting any of our clues so far, I'm scratching him off my list.
Strangefate:
The Pistol fits for Instantaneous, the Sponge fits for the bathroom, but nothing reads Decayed or Summer, really. Not ruled out yet.
Verasaille:
Rat points pretty well towards Decay, and with two drug-feeling Means, I'm not ready to rule Vera out yet.
yugi006:
None of these really read Instantaneous or Decayed, though perhaps the Acid? But that seems like the Duration would have been more Gradual or Prolonged. Arsenic could be put into a mouthwash bottle?

CONCLUSIONS:
At this point, I'm having a difficult time finding any Evidence that fits the Clues we've been given so far. The first three Clues the FS gave us (Cause of Death, Location of Crime, and Duration of Crime) all feel like they point towards the Means rather than the Evidence. The Decayed Corpse Condition makes me think of vermin (Vera's Rat) and my incest insects. Summer is such a broad category, but Flip Flops (me), Magazine (JM), and Plastic Bottle (yugi006) would be my first choices for things that tie in there. When my short-list points to myself more than anyone else, I really start to think that we need more, and better Clues.
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

Blythe

I'm formally using my guess to narrow this down. I honestly think BAMF is our guilty person.

I'm guessing BAMF with the Injection with Insects as the evidence.

Hopefully that'll narrow things down.

Madame Professor

Okay, this clue has me going back and reevaluating things... Decayed had me off a bit and I wasn't ready to let go of the Electric Current. Now, though... if like this more points to the evidence and nothing Sherlock has fits... So, looking back on things, this is what I am thinking:

Clues in Play:
Cause of Death- Suffocation, Severe Injury, Loss of Blood, Illness/Disease, Poisoning, Accident
Location of Crime - Living Room, Bedroom, Storeroom, Bathroom, Kitchen, Balcony
Duration of Crime - Instantaneous, Brief, Gradual, Prolonged, Few Days, Unclear

Yugi006
Player: Yugi006
Guess Used:
Means of Murder Cards: Punch, Sulfuric Acid, Arsenic, Gunpowder

Key Evidence Cards: Plastic bottle, Bell, Speaker(s), Graffiti

Strangefate
Player: Strangefate
Guess Used:
Means of Murder Cards: Dagger, Pistol, Pesticides, Bite and Tear

Key Evidence Cards: Sponge, IV Bag, Chalk, Mask

Player: Assassini
Guess Used:
Means of Murder Cards: Trophy, Blender, Machine, Match (the fire kind)

Key Evidence Cards: Sunglasses, Toy blocks, Tattoo, Name Card

Sherlock
Player: Sherlock
Guess Used:
Means of Murder Cards: Kick, Electric Current, Hammer, Work

Key Evidence Cards: Oil Stain, Wallet, Model, Invitation Card

Madame Professor
Player:Madame Professor
Guess Used:
Means of Murder Cards: Packing Tape, Overdose, Mad Dog, Venomous Scorpion

Key Evidence Cards: Computer mouse, Cigarette Ash, Sock, Tissue

Player: BAMF
Guess Used:
Means of Murder Cards: Injection, Towel (again?!), Illegal Drugs, Ice Skates

Key Evidence Cards: Uniform, Flip flops (goes well with the uniform!), Suit, INSECT (Not the other thing  :-[)

Verasaille
Player: Verasaille
Guess Used:
Means of Murder Cards: Pills, Poisonous needle, Dumbell, Plastic Bag

Key Evidence Cards: Earrings, Apple, Rat, Receipt

James Moriarty
Player: James Moriarty

Means of Murder Cards: Kerosene, Candlestick, Lighter, Electric Bike (like a vespa)

Key Evidence Cards: Signature, Dirt, Magazine, Hanger

persephone325

Player: persephone325

Means of Murder Cards: Virus, Wrench, Drill, Video Game Console (The card shows a PS4!)

Key Evidence Cards: Diamond, Cleaning Cloth, Fiber Optics, Stockings

And well... I agree that I think BAMF is prime suspect at this point, but I'll wait until after Sherlock's guess is confirmed or denied before I continue...

Galactic Druid

Quote from: Sherlock on January 16, 2016, 07:32:46 PM
I'm formally using my guess to narrow this down. I honestly think BAMF is our guilty person.

I'm guessing BAMF with the Injection with Insects as the evidence.

Hopefully that'll narrow things down.

Incorrect!
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

Madame Professor

Well, with that done...

I don't think Sherlock is wrong in thinking it's BAMF. After the summer clue, nothing in Sherlock's evidence fit. So I went back. The Flip Flops practically slapped me in the face when I saw that; they scream Summer. Then I saw the Towel... and the Crime happened in the Bathroom... Of course, the Insects could be it, too, with both Summer and Decayed.

So I'm going to follow Sherlock's example and make a formal guess:

I think it was BAMF with the Towel and Insects as evidence.

Galactic Druid

Quote from: Madame Professor on January 16, 2016, 08:08:07 PM
Well, with that done...

I don't think Sherlock is wrong in thinking it's BAMF. After the summer clue, nothing in Sherlock's evidence fit. So I went back. The Flip Flops practically slapped me in the face when I saw that; they scream Summer. Then I saw the Towel... and the Crime happened in the Bathroom... Of course, the Insects could be it, too, with both Summer and Decayed.

So I'm going to follow Sherlock's example and make a formal guess:

I think it was BAMF with the Towel and Insects as evidence.

Incorrect

BAMF

Y'know, just because I can implement myself really well doesn't mean I'm a suicidal murderer. ;D
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

Verasaille

Well for the record, Bamf, I did not think it was you!!  ;D

I am a little stymied here, to tell the truth. I am still thinking of Sherlock, but I have been wrong before. To me Decayed could mean the body was of an older person and/or the summer heat just accelerated the rate of decay after death. Oil stain could be suntan oil? That sounds like summer to me.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Remiel

Time of Death - Dawn, Morning, Noon, Afternoon, Evening, Night

The FS has picked Night.

Galactic Druid

That was our 6th clue! After this one, the next ones will replace an existing one.

BAMF

»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

Remiel

The FS has covered up Corpse Condition - Decayed

Trace at the scene - Fingerprint, footprint, bruise, blood stain, bodily fluid, scar

The FS has chosen Bodily Fluid.

Blythe

Bodily Fluid? That makes me think "IV Bag" but none of Strangefate's murder methods fit. :/

Assassini

Quote from: Blythe on January 18, 2016, 01:17:01 PM
Bodily Fluid? That makes me think "IV Bag" but none of Strangefate's murder methods fit. :/

I still think it makes more sense to focus on the Murder Methods, but seeing as we surely must be needing to stretch for things now, perhaps the Pesticides COULD fit? I don't think this is the case, but it's worth putting forward.

Now, here's a couple of theories... Be warned, they ARE both an absolute stretch and-a-half, but I feel like there's a plausibility here.

So my first though is: Yugi with the Sulphuric Acid and the Plastic Bottle.

My reasoning here is that when it comes to the murder weapon, it seems entirely possible to spill Sulphuric Acid by accident, so that's straight forward. As for Bathroom, well perhaps Remi was trying to make a slightly obscure reference to a laboratory? Because the benches there could be seen to resemble the surfaces in a Bathroom. Or, possibly, there might be connotations of it sounding like a cleaning supply (it ISN'T, but it sounds like it could be). And the Plastic Bottle, well, I think Remi has had a really tough time with his clues and so has been trying to be quite round-about, because there really is no other way to reference the right cards. So, I'm just thinking of links here that the Plastic Bottle might have been linked to "Decay" because plastic doesn't degrade. But now that Remi realises we're going on some wild goose chase he has covered up Decay. Now instead he uses "Bodily Fluid" and a Plastic Bottle could HOLD a Bodily Fluid (at least that's what American TV tells me happens on long car journeys), it could also be a link to drinking which causes bodily fluids... Or it could just be a tenuous link to fluid over all. So that's an idea.

My other idea is: Sherlock with the Electric Current and Oil Stain.

Now the Electric Current as a given is a perfect choice for the weapon, but I think the its possible originally Remi was trying to make us think of preservatives when he said "Decay" and that was supposed to make us think of embalming oil. But, again, instead it sent us off in the completely wrong direction. Now, he's trying desperately to make us turn around again, so he covers Decay and uses the only thing that could possibly resemble Oil: "Fluid" of some description. Plus, I guess one could stretch even further and think about oily skin and stuff.

My current favourite is actually the latter, because it at least seems reasonably logical. As far as I can make out, at this stage we need to look for anything tenuous given how little the clues seem to tell us.