News:

Main Menu

Bullet Journals

Started by Malrunar, January 11, 2018, 03:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malrunar

I know that this has been a 'thing' for at least a couple years now, but it's something that I've only recently started to do. And by recent, I mean I've started today and was also wondering who else might dabble in this form of creativity and organization.

Any tips?

Words of warning?

Is this like Jumanji, and now that I've started I'll be sucked into another world and forced to play the game?? Would make life a little more exciting, wouldn't it?

Cheers!

Caeli

Don't be afraid to make mistakes.

Keep your pages simple to start.

After a couple of months, re-evaluate to see what pages you stuck with, what doesn't work for you, etc.

And as always, Pinterest or Instagram for layout ideas!  You'll see a lot of layouts that are fantastic and beautiful because they're created by artists, but I like the minimalist or minimalist-inspired layouts and spreads because they're a little more functional and less work to make.

As a personal example:
I like my bullet journals as a way for me to track "floating" tasks throughout the week/month, that I might otherwise lose track of.  I don't like having to go back once a day to check off things (like habit trackers). I do like having visual representations of goals I'm working on - for example, weight lifting, food, tracking water intake, etc. - but I use apps on my phone to track them on a day-to-day basis and just record the results in my BuJo so I can see overall trends a little better.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Lilias

The official tutorial is here. See how it all started, what the creator had in mind, then go on and adjust to fit yourself. :-)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

RedRose

I've always been fascinated by that concept! I remember when it started becoming a thing, though I don't think I know anyone doing it among my friends. Following!
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

The Lioness

I don't use specific "bullet" journals. I hate not being able to take a page and move it someplace else. I do, however, use a similar page layout with tasks and whatnot in a filofax. I create and print/draw my own pages and use them for daily things, monthly appointments, and trackers.

My best advice is to browse Pinterest and see what layout works best. Try one way for a little while, and adjust to how you do things until you have something that works for you. Like Caeli said, don't be afraid to make mistakes. You can always adjust to something more personal that works best for your frame of mind and the way you can continue to stick with things. Also, don't feel the need to make things pretty while you find the best layout for yourself. You don't have to make it pretty to be functional. Once you get more comfortable, then you can feel free to doodle, decorate, and the like to your hearts content! I say that because I personally have a tendency to jump too deep into something too fast. Doing so burns me out way too fast and I tend to quit before something is finished. I've been using my filofax for a few years now, and I still use it every day.
♥ Poems ♥ Story Ideas ( Updated 3/20/24) ♥ Ons/Offs ♥ F-List♥ A/A (Updated 1/23/2024)♥ Art ♥ My Kingdom ♥

♥Posts owed: 1/1 ♥ Posts completed: 0/1 ♥ Pending: 0 ♥
♥Status: Open ♥

Trieste

I've been doing it for like 18 months now, give or take. I love it. I've fiddled with lined and dotted pages, and finally settled on blank pages for my fave. I glued in a length of ribbon hanging around, for a bookmark.

I like playing around with stuff. Like, I'll raid Target's dollar bin for new stamps or ink pads or whatever, and try that for a while. I think switching it up makes it fun.

himawari

I tried. I designed everything and I gave up. To upkeep it needs dedication. I am too lazy. Ahahahaha.
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
Himawari’s Fields of Ideas

rou

I don't know if this belongs here, but I really want to make a digital journal. Whether it's some kind of web page or word document or a series of Evernotes... I'm still trying to figure out a system that works for me. I've considered learning some Desktop Publishing so I can really make something fancy.

// A&A: July 17, 2022 //
“succubus angel” — anonymous

VashtiDreamer

I tried bullet journals, filofax layouts, even the disc planners... they're too much planning for me and not enough free space.

I favor traveler's notebook style. Where each insert is dedicated to something. I've got way, way too many of them. I started off with the personal size, loved it, upgraded to normal size, still love it.

I've got my wallet/planner/every day carry in one, and my writing stuff in another, and even ended up turning my sketchbook into one and low and behold found myself drawing more often.

But I know people where the bullet journal works for them. I think I'm just... much too much or something, for it to work for me. :D
Current Response Schedule: None.

Current Status: Not Seeking partners or Rps.

Ons/Offs

rou

I'm such a perfectionist that bullet journals — anything written on paper, really — kind of make me anxious. :O

Malrunar

Well, I've been picking away at my Journal for the past week and I have to say --I really like it.

Something of a perfectionist myself, I was expecting to be too focused on making every page and layout look flawless. Instead, I've found a creative medium that's bright and follows no particular 'theme' and its been a lot of fun. Basic planners often didn't fulfill my needs, and those that did were ridiculously expensive. I'll consider this a very happy medium. (Although, like starting all new crafts, I can see it becoming expensive simply because of all of the cool stuff they have out there now. Stationary, washi tape, and who doesn't love a gorgeous journal?)

There are a lot of apps and programs out there you could use, for free, to keep track of stuff. Me? I'm a pen/paper kind of girl, always have been. Some habits you just can't break!

The Lioness

Glad to hear you've found a good medium! I'm all for electronic help with things, but if I don't see things every day, I tend to forget about them. Also, I have ADD, so having something on paper that I write in every day allows me to asses things in a weekly and monthly format. I can see what is ahead of me and what needs to be done within a certain time. I'm an admin assistant, so it helps with scheduling bill processing, data uploads, meeting management, and so forth. Things get done on time, and I can also make sure if there are any additional projects required, they get done too.

I also have sections for dailies (ie: weekly menu, exercise, healthy habits, etc), and personal projects I aim to accomplish at home. Since I just bought a house, I have a section for when bills are due and the certain projects to do around the house.

Sometimes I need to work on beautifying my pages, as some weeks are more chaotic than others. I try and save them for the weekend and do some ahead of schedule...but sometimes RL leaves me with just enough room to grab the bull by the horns before I'm thrown off!
♥ Poems ♥ Story Ideas ( Updated 3/20/24) ♥ Ons/Offs ♥ F-List♥ A/A (Updated 1/23/2024)♥ Art ♥ My Kingdom ♥

♥Posts owed: 1/1 ♥ Posts completed: 0/1 ♥ Pending: 0 ♥
♥Status: Open ♥

Lilias

For those (like me) who can't free-draw for toffee, a set of stencils is a solid investment.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Trieste

I grow my washi collection while keeping it under control by allowing myself to buy one roll per trip to the store. I don't go to stores that sell it on the regular, and adding a couple bucks onto another shopping trip isn't so bad.

A tip I picked up on Facebook: you can use embroidery hoops as a holder for your washi tape. Cheaper than the spools, and easier as well.

rou

Okay, I think I've finally been sold on analog. I think developing and creating the bullet journals by hand is, itself, probably pretty therapeutic, and I seem to enjoy it. I decided to print out my own dotted pages (letter size, 8.5in. x 11in.), hole punch them, and put them into a binder. This way, I can actually rearrange and discard pages. However, there's something I love about the index system that sort of makes me want to order everything chronologically, anyway, so I'm not entirely sure what organizational system I'll be going with just yet.

Caeli

I've decided that I'm too lazy to do bullet journals.  I seem to get into them to help myself get organized, but when I get busy/stressed the first things that go are things that are not 100% necessary for me to complete my daily/weekly routines, and it seems that has ended up being the bullet journaling, and a few other things.

On the recommendation of a friend of mine, I have ordered a customizable planner online that allowed me to put inserts for certain types of pages, so I'm going to see how that works.

Honestly I love the idea of bullet journals but an analog planner is not 100% necessary for me in the same way it was back in college. I seem to jump in and out of them as needed, which does bother me a little.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

rou

Quote from: Caeli on January 31, 2018, 04:48:07 PM
I've decided that I'm too lazy to do bullet journals.  I seem to get into them to help myself get organized, but when I get busy/stressed the first things that go are things that are not 100% necessary for me to complete my daily/weekly routines, and it seems that has ended up being the bullet journaling, and a few other things.

On the recommendation of a friend of mine, I have ordered a customizable planner online that allowed me to put inserts for certain types of pages, so I'm going to see how that works.

Honestly I love the idea of bullet journals but an analog planner is not 100% necessary for me in the same way it was back in college. I seem to jump in and out of them as needed, which does bother me a little.

That makes plenty of sense. <3 I hope you find something that works better for you.

Lilias

Decoration ideas for the artistically challenged:

https://youtu.be/7Oq900QZofU

EDIT: Actually, the whole series is awesome.
~Wendell Berry