News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

A Correction of the Monkey Kind

Started by Inkidu, July 14, 2009, 09:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

I'm sure most of you are familiar with the whole: If you put an infinite number of monkeys with an infinite number of typewriters, and an infinite amount of time in one room they will produce the works of William Shakespeare, or something similar to that end.

Well I thought about this a long time and I have come to a conclusion. The above statement really shows how limited our thought process is as humans. So I will make an amendment.

If you put an infinite number of monkeys, with an infinite number of typewriters, and an infinite amount of time in one room, they will create every writing, good, bad, or ugly that has ever existed, and will ever exist.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Trieste

Vekseid

Any sequence of truly random bits will eventually reproduce any ordered sequence given sufficient precision. I'm not sure why you bash the layman's version of that principle for being insufficiently specific.

Paradox

"After bashing the computer with a stone and using the machine as a toilet, several of the monkeys eventually produced five pages of text."

Hahahhaa

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Inkidu

Quote from: Vekseid on July 14, 2009, 09:39:07 PM
Any sequence of truly random bits will eventually reproduce any ordered sequence given sufficient precision. I'm not sure why you bash the layman's version of that principle for being insufficiently specific.
Not really bashing per se, I was just remarking that (probably to protect our own sanity) that humans are invariably limiting the scope of our own thought. As demonstrated by the above adage. I feel it simply needed correction.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it is simply my version of Q.E.D.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Vekseid

...err no. It's not a correction, it's an overcomplication. There's nothing at all wrong - outside of Trieste's link - with the idea as presented. It's just a natural, easily imagined presentation of the more general case.

What I find more amusing is that you didn't even take it halfway, much less all the way as should normally be the case for most intelligent people. And -then- claim that -we- are limited.

Inkidu

Quote from: Vekseid on July 14, 2009, 10:09:21 PM
...err no. It's not a correction, it's an overcomplication. There's nothing at all wrong - outside of Trieste's link - with the idea as presented. It's just a natural, easily imagined presentation of the more general case.

What I find more amusing is that you didn't even take it halfway, much less all the way as should normally be the case for most intelligent people. And -then- claim that -we- are limited.
I meant we with me included. I am a person after all. At least I hope.

HairyHeretic

I prefer the updated version. An infinite number of rednecks with an infinite number of shotguns will eventually create all of Shakespears works in braille ;)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Oniya

You forgot the infinite supply of 'Deer Crossing' signs.   ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

HairyHeretic

I don't think they're that picky :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Inkidu

You do however need an infinite amount of beer in an infinite cooler. Otherwise they're not sticking around.