News:

Main Menu

Favorite Villain

Started by MasterMischief, September 13, 2011, 08:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterMischief

With all the favorite threads, I thought we needed one that addressed one of the most important aspects of all time: Evil.  So come on, boys and girls.  Who do you love to hate?

I liked Magneto.  Sure, his methods were questionable, but at least you could understand where he was coming from.  He had seen the dark underbelly of humanity and knew it was only a matter of time before fear twisted the righteous again.  Better do unto others before they do unto you.

Slaven

Harley Quinn hands down. She's insane, devoted, and sexy. What more could a man want?
Don't worry. That's not my breath on the back of your neck! >.>

Slaven's O/Os and some RP ideas!

Missy

Grand Moff Wilhuf Tarkin

The most awesome Bad Ass Bad Guy on star wars.

Shjade

Gary Oldman.

Any villain played by Gary Oldman.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Primoris

Quote from: Shjade on September 14, 2011, 12:06:55 AM
Any villain played by Gary Oldman.
Very good call that Shjade!

I'd add any villain from the Tick too.

Lilias

The Master.

Especially in his Derek Jakobi/John Simm incarnation.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Imogen

John Marcone from the Dresden Files.

Now, my list of favorite villains essentially is longer than my list of heroes. I adore villains and often find they drive the story much more than the hero, who'd get dull in a second if not for the villains opposing him or her. The Three Musketeers is one of my favorites in that regard: Cardinal Richelieu, Rochefort and Milady in ONE package! What more is there to long for?

Still, when it comes to a single villain it has to be Marcone. Because he's ruthless, all business with a soul as efficient as an accountant's and despite all that, he's more sexy than any white court vampire!
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Sabby

For me, the best villains are the ones with the simplest of motivations. Like Venjix.

Venjix Tribute

At first, he was a Superman villain, always with the "I'll be back!" and "This time, Corinth will be destroyed!" and all the while, he simply sat in his base, letting others do the work. He got fed up, downloaded himself into a body, took the fight personally, and did extremely well, and then continued to contribute in person. And yet still he remained one dimensional.

Then, when he finally is on the verge of victory, and by extension, ending the human race entirely, we see his true motivations. He's just an angry child who never got to know him mum. She created him, was taken away before she could pull him in and give him his boundaries, without the parents guidance, he just destroyed everything, for as much reason as any kid destroys anything. None.

That's the scariest motivation for any villain. None.

Hemingway

Alysanthia

Rita Repulsa...

She was hilarious, had an awesome costume, and minions to do her every bidding.

Missy

Quote from: Hemingway on September 14, 2011, 04:19:20 PM
NOD Transmission Kane Lives

/thread

That game was pretty cool. I wish the acting had been better on the live action portions of it though.

Inkidu

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Inkidu

Quote from: MCsc on September 14, 2011, 05:36:22 PM
That game was pretty cool. I wish the acting had been better on the live action portions of it though.
Kane's actor is probably the best in any of the C&C games, at least consistently. C&C 3: Tiberium Wars had probably the best acting of the whole series. They got Ironside and Billy Dee Williams. Trisha Helfer was in it too.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on September 14, 2011, 05:42:49 PM
Kane's actor is probably the best in any of the C&C games, at least consistently. C&C 3: Tiberium Wars had probably the best acting of the whole series. They got Ironside and Billy Dee Williams. Tricia Helfer was in it too.

I removed the unimportant bits.

I'm joking, of course. C&C3 had great acting, and Joseph D. Kucan is ... I mean, I don't know if he could play anything but Kane, but he plays Kane so well. I mean, when you listen to him, you sort of get how the Brotherhood of Nod can have so many supporters. Heck, I'd probably join up. Add Tricia Helfer to the list and I wouldn't think twice about it. And that's despite how much I like Michael Ironside.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on September 14, 2011, 06:04:35 PM
I removed the unimportant bits.

I'm joking, of course. C&C3 had great acting, and Joseph D. Kucan is ... I mean, I don't know if he could play anything but Kane, but he plays Kane so well. I mean, when you listen to him, you sort of get how the Brotherhood of Nod can have so many supporters. Heck, I'd probably join up. Add Tricia Helfer to the list and I wouldn't think twice about it. And that's despite how much I like Michael Ironside.
C&C also boasts live-action performances from James Earl "Pay to hear him read the New York Phone book" Jones.

Jag

Quote from: Alysanthia on September 14, 2011, 04:50:02 PM
Rita Repulsa...

She was hilarious, had an awesome costume, and minions to do her every bidding.

And she married a galactic, evil warlord through the use of a love potion and even when it wore off he stayed with her because she's just that awesome.

<3 Rita
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Ryven

I see your Rita Repulsa, and I raise you HIM from Powerpuff girls! ^-^

Sabby

Oh, yeah, Lord Zedd gets Power Rangers banned in New Zealand for being too creepy, and no one lifts a brow at the transvestite Satan with the perpetual rape face -.-

Slaven

Quote from: Ryven on September 14, 2011, 09:18:58 PM
I see your Rita Repulsa, and I raise you HIM from Powerpuff girls! ^-^

..I think you just won this thread.

Wyrd

The Greatest villains EVER! Period.

The Dark Crystal "Skeksis Dinner"
Ragtime Dandies!

Ironwolf85

Kane from C&C was already mentioned he takes my number one spot for just being one of the most cunning and intelligent villians I've ever seen.
Cobra Commander not from the old Gi-joe, the newer Renegades series, he kinda reminded me of kane a bit.
basicly this cobra commander is dying of old age and disease, having single handedly built cobra into a world wide group and terrorist superpower, he's facing his own subordinates, trying to keep the sharks from smelling the blood in the water so to speak. at the same time he's trying to push for a cure, and keep the US military in the dark.
Then these joes stumble across his lab and fuck up his bio-viper project, and nearly expose cobra's dirty underbelly to the world.
he actually acts like the head of a "ruthless terrorist orginization" instead of his bumbling, buffoonish 80's counterpart.

other villians let me see...
in terms of pure and simple evil Soron from the Lord of the Ring's trilogy, not the movies, but the way he's described in the books as a sort of evil mind without a body that's been festering, and the only thing that prevents him from going to the afterlife is a ring, his one weakness. a being that casts a dark shadow across the land even beyond death, who's corruption tears down the greatest wizard of the era, playing on his desire for industry and greed, who controls all the dark things across the land wild and tame, and twists everything... and the battles were freaking brutal in the books, straight out of WW1.
Aragon and the heroes fought him not to win, but all as a distraction so that somthing so small... a pair of tiny hobbits. Could carry his anchor into the heart of his empire and destroy it.
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Lilias

Quote from: Slaven on September 14, 2011, 11:15:09 PM
..I think you just won this thread.

Kiddie shows have the best flavour of evil around. Just ask Dr. Heinz Doofenschmirtz.

Or was that kiddie evil?

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

jouzinka

When I was a little kid, the villain I was most scared of was Gmork!
Neverending Story Clip - Gmork Scene
[noembed]The end of the previous scene[/noembed]. For some reason it's cut out of the previous vid.

A little later (but really only a little) I was scared shitless by a villain in the Maiden and the Monster tale. It was made in 1978 (void of all CGI, boy, it's a sight for sore eyes) when Juraj Herz was politically prosecuted by the regime and was forbidden to create real movies, so he at least made a fairy tale. Only it's not a fairy tale, it's a full-blooded horror! And a very clever one. You don't actually see the monster until almost half of the movie had passed - until then you only guess while you're served terrified looks and shocks of those who happen to cross the path of the monster as he spreads the terror, aided by his (mostly) repugnant servants, always sulking secretly in the shadows.
Panna a netvor 2
The end when the talons dig into the woman's tender flesh and she collapses still gives me chills.

You rarely get to see things clearly, blatantly, more likely they are just hinted. Like here when the maiden [noembed]uncovers the story of the castle and its owner[/noembed].

It's as dark, creepy and suggestive as it just can get from the first second. It's also underlined by an incredibly enigmatic and atmospheric music (by Petr Hapka) from the [noembed]opening credicts[/noembed].

Today I would have to go with [noembed]Khan Noonien Singh[/noembed]. ;-)
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Imogen

[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Jag

Quote from: Wyrd on September 15, 2011, 12:01:56 AM

Hehe, Skeksis. I love that movie, but yeah, those were scary.

One of my friends at the call center threw his headset off one day and yelled, "She sounds like a damn Skeksis!"...it made us all laugh till he put her on speakerphone and we heard that she really did sound like one. Then we all just shuddered.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Kristine

Wolf (From the red riding hood)

Alysanthia

Darn Skeksis... Gave me nightmares the first time I watched that movie!

Now I call all buzzards Skeksis.

Aiden

The Joker

Diablo in the Diablo video games series, 3 games later and that motherfucker still isn't dead.

Wyrd

Quote from: Alysanthia on September 15, 2011, 08:19:50 AM
Darn Skeksis... Gave me nightmares the first time I watched that movie!

Now I call all buzzards Skeksis.

I saw this movie when I was around 6 i think. To this day it's the first movie I clearly remember watching because of how friggin terrified I was of the Skeksis.

I'll leave this little tribute song here.
Strapping Young Lad - Skeksis 
Ragtime Dandies!

Samael

Came to mention Kane, from C&C, see others already did so.
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Slaven

..Those guys gave me nightmares when I was small.

Oniya

Personally, I'm a fan of Anthony Ainsley's 'Master' (although Roger Delgado wasn't shabby either.)  James Earl Jones has some epic villains as well - even if he is everybody's father.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

kamil88

Terminator T-800 Model 101 - Perfect villain, who will do anything to terminate its target, mimic mother voice, even when its half body is missing,you still aren`t safe
Freeza from Dragon Ball Z Anime - Before he will kill you, he will torture you, your family and friends, and if you piss him too much, he will also destroy your planet

Sabby

Don't you mean T-1000? Thats the one that faked Sarah's voice.

Wyrd

I think he;s talking about the liquid metal prototype. T-1000's Arnold's model, isn't it?
Ragtime Dandies!

Sabby

I'm absolutely certain the T-1000 is the liquid version.

Wyrd

Oh, crap. Yeah you're right. it is.
Ragtime Dandies!

Sabby

Violence

He's describing the T-800. *nods*  All of that is from the first movie.

The Terminator kills Sarah's mother and answers the phone mimicking her voice so that it knows where to find her and Kyle while Kyle and Sarah are at the hotel making John.
"Inciting Violence" (O/O) | "Random Acts of Violence" (Requests/Ideas) | Language of Violence (A Story I'm Working On)

And it all breaks down at the role reversal . Got the muse in my head she's universal . Spinnin' me round she's coming over me.
Domestic Violence (My OC's) | The Art of Violence (Stuff I Draw'd) | The Absense of Violence (A/A)

Cravings::  ANYTHING with Ballerinas! | Playing a cheating wife/girlfriend scenario. | Something that lets me play Jaime Lannister.

Shjade

Indeed. It could be a description of either the 800 or the 1000 if not for the "half its body missing" remark. The 1000 model doesn't really do the partial-body thing since, if you were to cut it in half, it would just reform. The 800 gets bisected near the end of the first movie and chases Sarah through some kind of machinery with just its torso.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

kamil88

Yes, i was describing T-800, sorry for confusion, T-1000 was awesome too, but,in my opinion, T-800 is more evil and brutal.

MasterMischief

Geeks.

And I mean that in the most affectionate manner.

Oniya

Sideshow geeks, or the other kind?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Melusine

Dolores Umbridge. That woman is simply hateful. Also Man from Bambi, especially when seeing the movie through 8-year-old eyes.

Special mentions must go to Hannibal Lecter, Annie Wilkes and Pennywise.

LunarSage

This has to go to the my two all time favorite villains in Marvel...

DOCTOR DOOM

(One of the many examples of why below)

THANOS OF TITAN

(Again, one of many examples)

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Sabby

Wait, don't Doom and Thanos lose on purpose because of psychological reasons?

LunarSage

I call that plot devices to explain why such badass villains ever actually lose.  :-)

Sabby

Like all good information on the internet, read it on Cracked xD Thanos has a personality disorder where he subconsciously sabotages his own plans, since he feels he doesn't deserve to win with all his powers. I mean, it's a bit unfair... plus he doesn't know he's doing it.

And with Dr Doom, his mum sold her soul to Satan to make sure he was always successful, so whenever he had the Fantastic 4 on the ground, he would get a sudden bout of insecurity and mother issues. Did he do this, or was this just a cosmic hand out from his dead mum?

Violence

Quote from: Sabby on September 24, 2011, 05:27:05 PM
Wait, don't Doom and Thanos lose on purpose because of psychological reasons?

I've heard that explanation applied to Thanos... wherein it may make sense, especially given how much he's in love with Death.  Personally, I'd be more inclined to think that rather than "lose on purpose" he sets up a means by which his enemies could defeat him.  So it's less about a "want to lose" than a desire for the game to at least be somewhat balanced.

But I've never heard it applied to Doom.

Usually Doom loses because he can't conceive of failure and thus doesn't account for the possibility.  Kind of in the classic Bond villain respect.  There's no way that Plan A could fail, so I don't require a Plan B.  He's typically up against Reed Richards.  A man that's not only Doom's intellectual equal (or arguably superior) but also a man that spends every waking moment coming up with contingencies for eventualities that have like a .0001% chance of happening.  Richards has typically already considered Doom's Plan A and made up a B, C, D, E, and F of his own.

Now, I don't doubt that there's been a huge number of stories where Doom is reduced to an emo kid with mommy issues.  But I think that's more from a misunderstanding of the character and what makes him interesting.  There are writers who always feel a need to reduce a character to a pathos.
"Inciting Violence" (O/O) | "Random Acts of Violence" (Requests/Ideas) | Language of Violence (A Story I'm Working On)

And it all breaks down at the role reversal . Got the muse in my head she's universal . Spinnin' me round she's coming over me.
Domestic Violence (My OC's) | The Art of Violence (Stuff I Draw'd) | The Absense of Violence (A/A)

Cravings::  ANYTHING with Ballerinas! | Playing a cheating wife/girlfriend scenario. | Something that lets me play Jaime Lannister.

Oniya

Quote from: Violence on September 24, 2011, 06:16:02 PM
Richards has typically already considered Doom's Plan A and made up a B, C, D, E, and F of his own.

And this is why we wonder that Reed had enough of a social life to end up with Sue.  ::)

Violence

Quote from: Oniya on September 24, 2011, 06:25:04 PM
And this is why we wonder that Reed had enough of a social life to end up with Sue.  ::)

Well... um... he worked out every scenario where they wouldn't end up together and plotted the most logical course of action to avoid all of those scenarios?  You know... with science?

Or um... love beam?  With science.

Also a possibility:

She might just have a kink.

Torch

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Oniya

Quote from: Violence on September 24, 2011, 06:41:54 PM
Well... um... he worked out every scenario where they wouldn't end up together and plotted the most logical course of action to avoid all of those scenarios?  You know... with science?

Or um... love beam?  With science.

Also a possibility:

She might just have a kink.

Except, weren't they married before the space flight?  ;)  [/geek]

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on September 24, 2011, 08:46:20 PM
Except, weren't they married before the space flight?  ;)  [/geek]

I don't think so..they were dating then.

Sex Bobomb

Hi all! I was just cruising the forums and I saw this thread. It was one of my acceptance questions so I thought I'd repost here and share my thoughts. My favorite villain is Anton Chigurh from No Country for Old Men. This clip gives you an idea why I like him.

The coin-toss scene No country fo old men

Cold Heritage

Probably Gul Dukat from Deep Space 9.

Quote from: Sabby on September 24, 2011, 05:59:22 PM
Like all good information on the internet, read it on Cracked xD Thanos has a personality disorder where he subconsciously sabotages his own plans, since he feels he doesn't deserve to win with all his powers. I mean, it's a bit unfair... plus he doesn't know he's doing it.

And with Dr Doom, his mum sold her soul to Satan to make sure he was always successful, so whenever he had the Fantastic 4 on the ground, he would get a sudden bout of insecurity and mother issues. Did he do this, or was this just a cosmic hand out from his dead mum?

I hope that's not the case, but if it is, I'm glad I haven't read many stories with the two characters; making them out to be so perfect the only reason they lose is themselves just drags them down and every character in the story.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Sabby

Hey, this is a medium where Spiderman, the most goody good to ever do good, gave up his marriage and kid to Satan to save his Aunt from a bullet wound. Dr Doom being an emo kid with insecurity over a dead mother is pretty par for the course.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on September 25, 2011, 02:14:24 AM
Hey, this is a medium where Spiderman, the most goody good to ever do good, gave up his marriage and kid to Satan to save his Aunt from a bullet wound. Dr Doom being an emo kid with insecurity over a dead mother is pretty par for the course.
If you have to make a deal with the devil go with the Marvel devil. He's really kind of inept at his job. *nod nod*

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/2501-The-Devil-Mr-Parker

Violence

Quote from: Sabby on September 25, 2011, 02:14:24 AM

Everybody blames Peter for that, but when it came to that point Peter wanted to back out of the deal.  It was Mary Jane that said "Okay" and talked him into it.  Even telling Mephisto that he'd never agree unless she pushed him into it.

Also, they didn't have a child.  Well, at least not at the time that the story takes place.  There was a daughter, May, in the 90's but she just sorta vanished from continuity.  To my knowledge no explanation was ever offered as to what happened.

Not that either of those two concessions justifies the story.  But that goes back to the "bad writing" or in that case, "bad editorial mandate".  Especially since Aunt May's come back from the dead more times from Jean Grey, most commonly due to the fact that the editors just forget she was dead after a while.

On Topic::

Recently read an IDW event that reminded me just how bad-ass this guy can be when handled by the right creative team.

All hail, in deed. ^.^

Sabby

PR Villian Tribute: Mesogog

Mesogog. The creation of Anton Mercer, a famed Paleontologist, studying strange orbs that were formed by the asteroid impact of the great ice age. Along with dinosaur DNA, his research went up in smoke in a lab accident, transforming him into the Jekyll and Hyde of Power Rangers. As Mr Mercer, he is working tirelessly to reverse the effect, while Mesogog attempts to restore the world to the way it was, making reptiles the dominant life forms on Earth.

What I loved about Mesogog wasn't an attack or a gimmick or even his design, it was how unflinching and threatening he was. Seriously, his voice, the way he looms over his henchmen, pacing with his arms folded behind him like he's absolutely calm, and then out of no where moving in to speak, watching for them to flinch. He loves it. You can just tell, he gets off on the fear in his subordinates, and he has absolutely no qualms throwing them to the fire to further his goals.

But with the way he moves, and the long slitted attire, I was expecting a more oriental fighting style, something where he waits for an attack, then just sort of flows out of the way and puts his palm into their back once, gently, and somehow this makes them fall to their knees and their suit starts exploding sparks randomly. What we got seemed the polar opposite, a lot of powerful but slow attacks with grabs and throws.

Violence

Mesogog had to be cool.  He was up against Tommy. *Tommy fan* But yeah, he was pretty bad-ass.  From the production side, too, you have to give it to the effects team to do his face as well as they did on the budget they probably had.

I think my favorite MMPR baddie would probably be Ransik, though.  I liked the father-daughter story, and his semi-redemption... turned full-redemption in Wild Force.

One thing always bothered me about him, though...

When Ransik fights the Rangers at the end of the series, he so thoroughly owns all six of them in such a short effortless fight that I spent the whole climax screaming, "Why didn't you just do that in the first place?"

Also, he had his fair share of goofy silly episodes, like the one where he tried to set up his daughter with the Blue Ranger.  So I can see how he might lose some of his intimidation factor when he spends just as much time acting like the dad in a sitcom as he does acting like the leader of a mutant empire.

Sabby

Yeah, Ransik fell short for me for those reasons. Too silly at times, his motivations were pretty weak, so hard to consider him a Magneto when he's not sympathetic, but really, the main problem was the writing in Time Force was VERY erratic. It was like there was a full team of writers who weren't working together and had poor oversight. And really, Power Rangers must be an absolute nightmare behind the camera, considering how its made from stock footage.

OMG! I can't believe I forgot my favourite villain of all time D= this must be corrected.

PRLG-Trakeena & Deviot Merge and Villamax Dies

A lil backstory. Daddy was an evil insect, sheltered her, but tried to make her mutate into a full bug. She didn't want to lose her beauty and ran away. She was unprepared for the harsh world, got her ass kicked, and an honorable but still evil knight took her under his wing. the Rangers mortally wounded her father, she came back in time to say goodbye, and his tentacle became her staff. And thus begins the fall of Trakeena to insanity, one of the darkest, most well written villains in Power Rangers history.

I'll admit openly. I was very sadface when she got beaten :(

Violence

Quote from: Sabby on September 25, 2011, 05:18:49 AM
Yeah, Ransik fell short for me for those reasons. Too silly at times, his motivations were pretty weak, so hard to consider him a Magneto when he's not sympathetic, but really, the main problem was the writing in Time Force was VERY erratic. It was like there was a full team of writers who weren't working together and had poor oversight. And really, Power Rangers must be an absolute nightmare behind the camera, considering how its made from stock footage.

I think Time Force was one of my favorites of the Power Rangers (probably tied with Dino Thunder, and right behind Zeo and SPD) franchise.  It was actually probably one of the easier ones for them to make, too, it follows the plot of Mirai Sentai Timeranger pretty closely.  So it was probably just a matter of getting them into similar locations and hoping people ignored the fact that, once again, yellow was a dude.

It will probably bug me forever that Wes' power-up mode was magic based, though.  Everything else in the series had a future-tech theme... and suddenly he's got magic.  It felt out of place.

As for Ransik specifically, I think it's the lack of ability to sympathize with him that actually makes him better for the medium.  You can't tell yourself that his victory won't effect characters you care about.  With Magneto, no matter which side wins the end-result is peace, it's just the cost that he and Xavier disagree about.  With Ransik it was just rhetoric to further his actual goals of power and revenge against a perceived enemy.  There may have been a very real event or prejudice that had caused him to lash out in the first place, but in the end, even he wasn't trying to use it to justify how far he wanted to take his payback.

He felt a lot like Megatron in that respect.  Only he lacked the charisma and strength of will to hold his army together all at once... since the excuse for not letting them all out at the same time was that he couldn't control them.

That's not to say he was... at all... a better villain than Magneto.  My personal opinion is that Magneto's probably the best that Marvel has, and certainly my favorite thing about the X-Men.  Well... my favorite thing about the X-Men, right after Rogue.

>.> Unless Goth Rogue counts as a separate thing.  Then it's Goth Rogue > Rogue > Magneto.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Violence on September 25, 2011, 04:36:52 AM
Everybody blames Peter for that, but when it came to that point Peter wanted to back out of the deal.  It was Mary Jane that said "Okay" and talked him into it.  Even telling Mephisto that he'd never agree unless she pushed him into it.

Also, they didn't have a child.  Well, at least not at the time that the story takes place.  There was a daughter, May, in the 90's but she just sorta vanished from continuity.  To my knowledge no explanation was ever offered as to what happened.

Not that either of those two concessions justifies the story.  But that goes back to the "bad writing" or in that case, "bad editorial mandate".  Especially since Aunt May's come back from the dead more times from Jean Grey, most commonly due to the fact that the editors just forget she was dead after a while.

I think the true villian in this piece is Joe Quesada (sp?)

Violence

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on September 25, 2011, 02:23:40 PM
I think the true villian in this piece is Joe Quesada (sp?)

He really should be on a list of best Marvel Villains.  After all, he did more harm to the marvel universe than Doctor Doom, Ultron, and Magneto combined... *sigh*

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Violence on September 25, 2011, 02:30:03 PM
He really should be on a list of best Marvel Villains.  After all, he did more harm to the marvel universe than Doctor Doom, Ultron, and Magneto combined... *sigh*

My (least) favorite comment of his is how Captain America was 'irrelevant' to modern American values. IE.. an honorable soldier type was an antique.

Violence

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on September 25, 2011, 02:31:33 PM
My (least) favorite comment of his is how Captain America was 'irrelevant' to modern American values. IE.. an honorable soldier type was an antique.

Yeah, I don't think the ideals of character of Steve Rogers can really ever be "obsolete".  Then again, I'm kinda biased, he's my favorite Superhero. ^.^;

But he embodies the same character spirit as Superman, Optimus Prime, or even The Doctor.  That whole "Freedom is an inherent right to everybody" belief accompanied by the "And I will personally fuck up whoever tries to take that right away from somebody" spirit embodied in a really badass way.

TheStampede

The Laughing Man, from Ghost in the Shell, S.A.C.

Okay, it might depend on your definition of villian, but even when he was just faceless villian, I got the feeling that it was more than a stereotypical villian.
"If you stay right where you are, then people will eventually come to you."

AmberTrash

I'm currently on a A Song of Ice and Fire kick, so I'm going to go with Tywin Lannister. The guy's just a friggin jerk.

LunarSage

Sylar (Heroes: 1st Season ONLY)

He was freaking scary as hell... then they ruined him and the rest of the show 2nd season on.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: LunarSage on September 25, 2011, 03:54:23 PM
Sylar (Heroes: 1st Season ONLY)

He was freaking scary as hell... then they ruined him and the rest of the show 2nd season on.

Agreed.. as much as I love Sylar.. he should ahve been dead at the end of the season.

Violence

Actually, I think Heroes would have been more successful in general if each season had focused on a new group of super-people entirely.  With maybe certain characters playing support roles later on.  That way they could have left Sylar mysterious and threatening and predatory even if they'd decided to keep using him after the climax of season 1.

But that's just an opinion... Sylar never being as awesome as he was in season 1 is something I can agree with, though.

Saphir

Yes! I'm glad someone posted Him from PPG <3

I have some villains worth mentioning...

Frollo!

I think he's the only disney villain to get away with singing about wanting to lay the heroine and burning her to the stake is she didn't comply with his desires...

And since I saw other PR villains mentioned:

Also:

But she did teach us the importance of body language. XD

Probably my favorite Final Fantasy villain:

Yes, dude looks like a lady.

We can't forget the Mistress of all evil can we?:

Sain

Yagami Light anyone? Probably most well written anime where protagonist is also acting as the main villain of the story. Will never forget the endless plot-twists <3.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Callie Del Noire

Hmm.. another 'comic book' villian (courtesy of my DC comic friend).. Dan Didio of DC

Samael

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on September 26, 2011, 02:30:42 PM
Hmm.. another 'comic book' villian (courtesy of my DC comic friend).. Dan Didio of DC

Oh, that is a good choice.
The wannabe Quesada (which is not good. No one should want to be like Quesada).

I would mention Black Adam.

Hero turned villain, turned anti-hero, turned king of his country, turned family father, turned widower, turned into stone.
He went through many different phases, and he was definitely one of my favorite "villains" during and after Geoff's JSA run.
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Samael on September 26, 2011, 06:53:18 PM
Oh, that is a good choice.
The wannabe Quesada (which is not good. No one should want to be like Quesada).

I would mention Black Adam.

Hero turned villain, turned anti-hero, turned king of his country, turned family father, turned widower, turned into stone.
He went through many different phases, and he was definitely one of my favorite "villains" during and after Geoff's JSA run.

I think what set my buddy off was the total shitty treatement of Stephanie Brown and her time as Robin. And the fact that while Jason's costume had a 'memorial' spot, it's like she was totally never been around.

Cold Heritage

The Secret Six were pretty cool under Gail Simone. Especially King Shark.

SentinelDreams

I "feel" for Harley Quinn as the ultimate "villain"...she chose her fate etc.

To me it's the Joker. The random-elephant in the room that only knows it's plan when it makes it up at the end.

LunarSage

One more pic of epic awesomeness in Thanos' favor...  ;D

Keefie

I'd probably have to go with Colonel Hans Landa, from Inglorious Basterds.
Christoph Waltz' oscar was well deserved.

Violence

In the same vein as Thanos... Darkseid from DC comics.  He might even be more awesome.  I mean, when's the last time Thanos broke into somebody's house and totally sat on their couch?  'Cause Darkseid does that all the time.

In seriousness I think they're about even on coolness.

QuoteI'd probably have to go with Colonel Hans Landa, from Inglorious Basterds.
Christoph Waltz' oscar was well deserved.

He was definitely one of the best characters in film that year.  Not often an actor manages to make a Nazi such an enthralling and captivating character.

Cold Heritage

I'm ready to die for Darkseid.

Scarie187

ofDelusions

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

I rest my case

Edit: for some reason images don't seem to show D:

Spero

Megatron, I don't know why but he is THAT GUY you love to hate but would love to be him at the same time.
RP Status: Seeking New Roleplays // Muse Status: Active and Around // Mood Status: Hopeful
CRAVING!: Dark Fantasy & Warhammer 40k Roleplay! Please PM if you want to RP~