DnD Online - Interest Check

Started by Zaer Darkwail, July 18, 2013, 04:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaer Darkwail

*A advertisement occurs in television screen*

A new era of gaming approaches today in year 2022! Now in local stores is on sales special immersion device known as "Nerve Gear"!

It allows a 100% mental immersion into the game! The both advanced battery and cable powered machine which connects with a head gear which you place on your head reads all your mental signals from your brain to move your character in the game around while transfer game in-game visuals into your brain in graphic detail unseen before! It is exactly as if you would be in the game world for real! No feel of clumsy 3D dimensional graphics or disorienting feel when turning head around while game would need upload data for graphics of the new angle!

It transfers also sense of sensation of touch, taste and even smell as electric signals to your brain; fooling your brain think those things are real when in reality nothing happens around your body. The helm also sends dampening signals which prevent your body moving according your own mental signals so you will not wander around blindly or fall off the bed while gaming.

If you do not believe this, all stores who sell "Nerve Gear" have comfortable testing rooms with demos which you can explore. But note the demos are barely even 1% of the ability what final products using this technology will provide! In future games there will functions which will allow log out when you want or even timed log outs, as you do not feel any sensation from real body as hunger or touch of something to disturb your gaming. So automated log out function will help keep on dinner times and allow replenish your energy.

At the moment only game what is developed for "Nerve Gear" is the same company which developed this amazing technology; Wizards of the Coast is developing transfer oldest game platform into now online MMO; DnD Online. There is already screening process going on for beta testers so sign up for now and perhaps you luckily are part of making a opening for new chapter of gaming history! Join on now the new revolutionary era of immersion gaming!

OOC: Okay, above is means of intro to the game concept and idea. Those who are familiar with Sword Arts Online may know what happens here. But idea is that players will be playing a person who joins to this DnD online, either as person new to DnD or old veteran who is eager for full immersion to their old favorite game format which is dungeons and dragons with sword and sorcery appeal with elves and such. Or you could roleplay your RL selves (if comfortable to do so) as in here the game has dual aspect of 'reality' of your char and the in-game avatar who is idealized version of yourself.

I have left it open is this freeform or simply system game where we house rule stuff quite bit to make it more 'MMO' feel alike. I myself I am familiar with both pathfinder and 3.5 editions and we could do mix of the two, lean to purely pathfinder or 3.5 edition. But as note the magic will be definitely changed either way so it is not so 'broken' or 'world breaking'.

Edit; Okay, decided game is on pathfinder and here below are chargen stuff.

Pathfinder Rules

Use following format to post your chars up.

[float=left][img height=200]http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af84/Kazzaroth_photos/Drownoblemage2.jpg[/img][/float][b]Name:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Nationality:[/b] (which country your char's RL self lives in)
[b]City/Province:[/b] (where exactly char lives in the country)
[b]Social Status:[/b] Employed/Unemployed, Married/Unmarried, Kids/None etc
[spoiler=Personality][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Background][/spoiler]

[b]DnD Online Avatar[/b]
[size=12pt][url=Web Address to online charsheet or link to post where char was posted in OOC to here][b]CHAR NAME[/b][/url][/size]
[float=left][img height=200]http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af84/Kazzaroth_photos/Drownoblemage2.jpg[/img][/float][b]Race:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b] Original/Digital (it shortly means did you make a body scan and apply your char's real life appearance on the game or did you choose premade digital body/gender, minus adding racial traits like pointed ears for elves and skin color bit green as half-orc etc)
[b]Body:[/b] Original/Digital (it shortly means did you make a body scan and apply your char's real life appearance on the game or did you choose premade digital body/gender, minus adding racial traits like pointed ears for elves and skin color bit green as half-orc etc)
[b]Class(es):[/b] (class and your levels in it respectively)

Now actual crunchy part;

Standard Starting Player setup
Starting level: 1, unless you want to be betatester (check qualification for it below)
Available classes: Core classes, but betatesters may have some more options (check for it below)
Stats: 30 point buy
Available races: All core races and also aasimars and tieflings. Betatesters get able to choose from bit more races.
Starting equipment: Standard, but betatesters have something more.

To qualify to above you need just write one paragraph long background and only little about personality of the character. Around 90% of players in DnD Online start like this.

Betatester setup
Same as above, but they get to choose one perk which applies to; Starting level, Available classes, Available races or Starting equipment. It's their reward being betatester in DnD Online to have slight starting perk towards other players.
Starting level perk: You start from 2th level instead 1st level when game starts.
Available classes perk: Instead waiting for 10th level to get job change to a advanced class, you get to start with that class instead.
Available races perk: You have option to start out as drow, hobgoblin, catfolk, kitsune, changeling or ratfolk. Normally races which can be achieved at 10th level through quest and ritual.
Starting equipment: You start the game with single magic item up to 8,000gp worth. But this item cannot be never sold to anyone and is bound to your account to point that it does not transfer to your spouse's bank if you die. It's unique named item upon player's choice.

To qualify to above you need to have at least 3 paragraphs of background, which one paragraph must at least describe how serious geek you are about gaming, DnD or general geek lifestyle. Then 2 paragraphs about your betatest experience and how you helped improve the game or give it suggestions and ideas what it would need to fix (some changes may or may not had been implanted in the game). Final paragraph must deal with why you choose your char or class or generally describe your first login experience (do not write logging out as game starts from that point when you have entered DnD Online). Total number of paragraphs; 6. Paragraph is general 4-5 lines of text for me.

House/Game Rules

-Mana Points: A 3.5 sourced material spell points are in use. Here is a link for it. With following adjustments; Sorcerers do not prepare spells, they know them. To compensate lack of flexibility they get x2 amount of listed spell points. Also using metamagic feats on spells are not limited by 'max spell level known. You can empower magic missile in first level if you can pay spell points to do so. Also spell point variant: Vitalizing is in use (so spellcasters can get tired when their spell point pools go low). There is going to be magic items in game which recover spell points and also locations where spell point recovery is increased or hindered. There are 'mana potions' on sale in shops which can be compared to cure potions in cost wise. They 'cure' spell points equal to half of the cure value of similar priced HP curing potion.

-Crafting: Craft skill is needed to make things, but profession skill is needed to know what materials are needed to craft something. Profession describes general IC knowledge 'what herb I mix with another herb to make healing potion?' as craft details 'how well I mix herbs in alchemy'. So to be master cook you need both craft:cooking and profession:cook ranks. In case of materials which are not found killing mobs, profession check is used to harvest the material.

-Magic items: NPC shops sells magic items, but they are capped on 1,000gp x layer level in cost. So at best shops sell +2 swords in final layer. So overall player base is depended onto any magic goods most cases if not count items sold from the bosses which are exceptional.

-PvP/Crime: Players can fight other players in duel and the duels do not kill players (the duel ends at 1 HP). However you can turn off safety setting from duels in options menu and so players can die in duels if safety is off. In towns and cities you cannot attack players. But outside towns and cities you can attack players. There are also arenas where players can fight mass combats inside cities. Attacking players outside cities give you yellow mark on your name; meaning your criminal and it takes a day for it to wear off and you can be arrested by NPC guards into prison. If you kill a player, your name turns to red and your considered murderer and it takes a week for red mark to fade away (if you attack or kill player in duel, you get no colored marks on your name). When your marked red, other players can attack you without becoming yellow or even kill you without becoming red (and loot your body as if you would had been a boss). NPC guards would aggressively try arrest you. Yellow mark can be also acquired if you steal from NPC's or players (which both can be done inside and outside of cities). Intruding on NPC's/player's home and being caught also gives yellow mark. When your arrested, you got option to pay fine to not go to prison. It costs 1,000gp to pay fine from yellow mark, and 100,000gp for red mark. Your prison time as yellow is ten day. As red mark it takes 700 days (two years) and also loosing all items you had. All stolen goods in your person are confiscated and returned to original owners upon arrest.

Note; If you steal from NPC but then kill NPC so that there are no witness, the NPC does not report the theft as when NPC respawns, all memories it had is reset to default values.

-Renting a room: Inns rent rooms for both night stays or extended times in form of rent and each inn has limited guest capacity. Intruding someone's room without permission is same as intruding someone's home.

-Job Change system: Once you reach 10th level you can change your class to a advanced/exotic class of your choice. It needs a completion of a solo quest and 10,000 gold to change your class with the trainer. Below is list of available job classes and what classes can enter them.

-Race change: In 10th level you can also change your race and this is only time able to be done. You can change to any core race or one rarer races like drow. Cost of ritual to change is 10,000 gold. It also allows change your gender and looks if you like.

Job Change classes
Crusader: Fighter or Paladin
Swordsage: Rogue or Ranger
Warblade: Fighter or Barbarian
Cavalier: Fighter or Paladin
Summoner: Sorcerer or Cleric
Witch: Druid or Sorcerer
Alchemist: Rogue or Wizard
Oracle: Cleric or Monk
Magus: Wizard or Bard
Gunslinger: Rogue or Ranger
Ninja: Rogue or Monk
Inquisitor: Monk or Cleric
Samurai: Fighter or Paladin

Note; Anti-Paladins can be chosen during char creation. They are not just listed to save time typing wise.

House ruled 3.5 classes

Tome of Battle

Special Notes; All contested Dex/Str rolls and such become CMB vs CMD. Maneuvers save DC's are based on class; Crusader uses Charisma, Swordsage uses Wisdom and Warblade uses Strength. In addition the maneuver level.

Diamond Mind and Concentration; Perception replaces Concentration. Classes who can get Diamond Mind maneuvers get perception as class skill if they don't have it already.

Crusader

With following changes added in;

Furious Counterstrike; Adds bonus to dmg, attack and CMB rolls.

Zealous Surge works once per encounter instead once per day.

In 5th, 7th, 9th, 11th, 13th, 15th, 17th and 19th gain free Teamwork bonus feat.

Smite; It functions like paladin's Smite Evil, functions when you hit target which has any single alignment component opposite from yours (so true neutral crusaders do not exist).

In 14th level you gain feature called Zealous Inspiration. It allows anyone 30'ft to re-roll single saving throw during a encounter.

In 20th level you gain feature called Champion. You gain outsider (native) subtype, stop aging (but can die old age) and gain DR/10 (your opposite alignment components). In addition you become fearless.

Swordsage

Swordsage gains following changes;

Ac bonus what swordsage gains also applies bonus to his CMD.

3th level gives swordsage a unarmed strike progression like monk does but with -2 level compared to monk of same level.

6th level gives swordsage a Ki pool similar what monk gets.

In 6th level he can spend 1 Ki point (as swift action) to make Ki Strike (which treats unarmed strike or weapon strike to bypass DR as if it's made from Magic). In 9th level it treats attack being made from silver and cold iron (in addition being made from magic). In 14th level it treats attack being made from adamantine both for DR and hardness bypassing purposes. In 18th level the Ki strike allows ignore any DR and perform melee attack as melee touch.

In 7th level Swordsage can choose Ninja Trick from Ninja class list. He can select new trick at 9th, 11th, 13th, 15th, 17th and 19th levels (it does not get Sense Magic feature).

In 20th level swordsage gains Sifu feature. He adds wisdom modifier to CMB and all saves and all knowledge rolls. In addition Dual Boost works 3 + Wisdom modifier times per day.

Warblade

With following changes;

Bonus Feats: Can be used get feat from Warblade or Figther list (and Warblade qualifies for fighter feats with -2 to his level).

4th level: Gain Armor Training like Fighter does. It progresses in 8th, 12th and 16th level.

10th level: Gain Blademaster class feature. It allows add Int to weapon attack and dmg rolls so long you perform maneuver with it.

Battle Skill feature: It adds Int to CMB in addition to Str.

14th level: Gain swift blade feature. It gives Combat Reflex feat as bonus. But if warblade already has it, he adds Int bonus along with Dex to determine number of attack opportunities.

18th level: Gain Blademaster's Parry feature. Functions like Duelist features of Parry and Riposte feature combined but also but you add Int modifier to the attack roll when you parry (and Battle Mastery adds Int to attack opportunity attack and dmg roll).

19th level: Gain Battle Intuition feature. You add Int on initiative rolls and sense motive rolls to resist feint and in addition you cannot never be surprised with ambush (allowing always act even when you failed perception check detect it).

20th level: You gain Blade Prince feature. So long you have stance active you gain DR 10/- against physical attacks (stacks with any stance which provides similar DR) so long when your able to move (immobilized or paralyzed negates the DR). Also you can re-roll any attack roll 3 + Int mod per day as free action.

Chreestafer

I would like to chalk my interest in freeform.  However, as I am a dnd geek, system would not bother me either.  I've never played a system game over Es forums before so I will most likely need a little tutoring at the beginning.
“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

spooky

I like.. I am bookmarking with extreme interest.

I have taken The Oath of Drake.

Zaer Darkwail

Well, you can comment do you prefer freeform or do you prefer we use the system Spooky :). Just advance note that the magic nerfs would include spells like teleport, plane shift and resurrection, wish etc. Ofc it remains one stronger forces in the game but some spells are removed or changed.

Also I thinked to use 'spell point' system which allows cast spells kind of like using power points from psionics. If we go system but in freeform 'mana points' exist but they are only referred when speaking recovery items/areas and such.

Also like in SoA it's mentioned as fluff but never seen in anime; there is 'moral code' restriction active to all players (and all players who are under age of consent cannot turn it off). The players who meet age of consent in real life can turn it off and so allow physical intimacy contact (sex otherwise said). Kisses and general touching is allowed outside moral code but everything else is inside of it. Because both participants need turn it off it means rapes are impossible (as most people turn moral code on after bedroom activity with their partner).

But as there was 'sleep PvP' killing going on, there is cases where sleeping women have been snuck upon and lifting their hand and finger opened their menu screen and turned the moral code off and so this is only means for rape to occur. Naturally none NPC's nor monsters perform any NC stuff (imagine news paper scandals if game designers allowed that to happen :P).

spooky

I would have to go with System since I feel it would make more since toward the VR aspect of the game kinda like 1/2 prince(I think that's the name of the manga this reminds me of).

I love the idea though, especially if some of us know each other offline as well as meet online. I'm fine with magic nerfs, I understand the reasons for it, but personally don't like making casters on the spell point system(I've done that with 3.5 from the unearthed Arcana rules). In any case I'd be happy to play myself (a glorified me of course) in the DnD online world. Which would mean I'm more a barbarian than anything else.

I hope my input is useful.

Zaer Darkwail

It was thank you :). Just wait is there more interest or not for this concept. Anyways feel free discuss concepts of your char who he is in RL and does he know other folks already (or not). I imagine some curious gamers could try play chick char just for kicks to take off moral code to get feel what girls feel in sexual situation.

As advance note; unlike in SoA your avatars are not 'reverted'. As there are orc, elf etc races in game so appearances and such are not reset (nor gender).

Pipaluk

I've never played DnD, though I've always been curious and wanted to try. I'm a fairly quick study, but I would be starting from the ground up. I like the idea of this RP and thought that it may be a fun introduction into DnD; I could play a character unfamiliar with how everything works, learning how to play in the virtual DnD game.

Let me know your thoughts on this or if you'd prefer more experienced DnDers.

steelsmiter

I might have been interested but you said some of the spells were going to be nerfed. Personally I prefer certain spells to be outright prohibited before nerfing.
I don't play in PMs
Who wants to join an incest registry?
O/Os
Download RPGs I wrote on my Discord!
So anyway I guess I'm steelsmiter on fetlife now. Hit me up and tell me you're from E!

spooky

There seems to be no caster love here lol.

steelsmiter

just the opposite actually. I don't like spells to be tweaked. I prefer them "as is". If you're not doing that, and still don't like the spell, the last resort is to drop them entirely.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os
So anyway I guess I'm steelsmiter on fetlife now. Hit me up and tell me you're from E!

spooky

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Pipaluk on July 19, 2013, 08:50:08 AM
I've never played DnD, though I've always been curious and wanted to try. I'm a fairly quick study, but I would be starting from the ground up. I like the idea of this RP and thought that it may be a fun introduction into DnD; I could play a character unfamiliar with how everything works, learning how to play in the virtual DnD game.

Let me know your thoughts on this or if you'd prefer more experienced DnDers.

I do not mind taking newbie to DnD :). The game would start in 1st level and the game (if using the system) would function like normal forum post based DnD game but there is the fact that you IC realize everything is a game.

Quote from: steelsmiter on July 19, 2013, 09:03:35 AM
I might have been interested but you said some of the spells were going to be nerfed. Personally I prefer certain spells to be outright prohibited before nerfing.

Quote from: steelsmiter on July 19, 2013, 09:51:02 AM
just the opposite actually. I don't like spells to be tweaked. I prefer them "as is". If you're not doing that, and still don't like the spell, the last resort is to drop them entirely.

Well, some spells will be removed (like resurrection and wish) but teleport spell example works so that allows teleport to cities but it does not allow 'freeform' teleport. Dimension Door (or one lower level spell called Evacuation Rune) is used to teleport into start of dungeons (and so skip monsters or traps which may had respawn while you went deeper). So when I speak 'nerf' I mean 'change' on the spells functions to be less broad and sound more 'videogame spells'.

I mostly take spells this approach;

1) The spells must make sense in MMO environment and something what programmer can easily implement (example freeform teleport is hard to program and so this game uses 'key points' for teleport spell example)

2) Spells which would allow immense amount of cheat or are vague (like Wish)

3) Spells which prevent player's death or remove the danger factor entirely from combat encounters via immunity (Resurrection and Spell Immunity)

I welcome your thoughts into the spells which would be okay to stay or how some spell could be changed so it's not broken or too OP. Note that in MMO the designer took account PvP balance when designing spells so spells which have 'save or die' are not allowed (although through exploit some spells can be outright lethal; like illusion covering pit trap which makes lethal fall to char who cannot stop the fall). Some plain attack spells which have certain amount of dmg done like magic missile, scorching ray etc would be in the game.

Also note all divination spells contact MMO's own database and so unlike in canon DnD universe there are 'banned' knowledge what any divination cannot reveal (as design by the programmer).

TheBlazinDragon

I wouldn't mind giving this a go. I'm also relatively new to DnD, as I was able to play for a few hours a few years back but then those people moved away and I haven't been able to play since.

steelsmiter

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on July 19, 2013, 10:37:14 AM
1) The spells must make sense in MMO environment and something what programmer can easily implement (example freeform teleport is hard to program and so this game uses 'key points' for teleport spell example)
Alright, fair enough, I thought most GMs put players at key points anyway. When you say nerf, that describes things like reducing allowable distance. I'm sure the actual online game has teleports that put you at key points, but I haven't played it. Another neat feature would be to have teleportation circles marked off that take you to another district kind of like Moogling Attendants from FFXII.

Quote2) Spells which would allow immense amount of cheat or are vague (like Wish)
yeah, it's pretty... broken, except where you have monsters like a certain creature above CR 20 that require a wish to stay dead... Of course changing the creature(s) to a specific kill perameter may solve that problem and allow you to still eliminate Wish

Quote3) Spells which prevent player's death or remove the danger factor entirely from combat encounters via immunity (Resurrection and Spell Immunity)
These removals are obvious. The game affects the player. Players can't be brought back

QuoteAlso note all divination spells contact MMO's own database and so unlike in canon DnD universe there are 'banned' knowledge what any divination cannot reveal
This should happen anyway. Divinations should either not reveal what the DM doesn't want revealed, or do so in such a way that it is vague enough to be almost useless. Almost.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Zaer Darkwail

Teleportation circles are good and teleportation spell may be needed to enter exotic dungeons (casting spell in keypoint to enter another keypoint). Ultimate transport spell is Gate itself. It does not bring creatures from other planes but simply folks from keypoint to your wanted location (or vice versa). Gate however also allows transport boss monsters through so using it during boss fight to escape may invite boss monster entering areas where it should normally be; like 30 Lvl monster in lvl 1 area.

Anyways there will be more changes to spells and removal of troublesome ones. But I do not discount possibility of some spell being nerfed but none come to mind right now.

Anyways new peeps are welcome as they can bring nice perspective of 'new DnD' players who want try the DnD with the new platform format (where they could not get chance try it in RL on tabletop). That can be RP'ed out and some DnD veterans may have bit advantage over them as there will be classic DnD monsters like owlbears, orcs, goblins which most gamers remember racial stats outside memory.

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, we have some interest and I am willing run this. So far folks want system based game (some are new to it and some are veterans).

Now the question is; 3.5 or pathfinder? Now I plan to use spell points from unearthed arcana either way despite what system we use (with edit that sorcerers cannot swap spells but they get x2 more spell points than listed value compensate their limited list). Now what things differ in each edition or what I had thought about them;

If we go Pathfinder; little to no changes as some 3.5 classes are brought over to pathfinder.

If we go 3.5 edition; I would house rule several things. Feats are gained same progression as in pathfinder. Skills are going to be same as in pathfinder and how skill points are spend. Also I thought bring some stuff from pathfinder fighter to 3.5 fighter so it is more attractive class choice past 4th level. Also sorcerer class gains bonus heritage feats and eschew materials feat for free.

Now, I thinked that inside game there is core classes available for everyone, but if someone wants get levels in exotic class (say Binder, Warlock, Warmage etc), they can do so by job change in 10th level which drops their level to half (so if you was 10th lvl wizard and turned to warmage, you become 5th level warmage). There is basically three ladders for classes (basic, advanced and exotic). To get exotic you need to have got job change once already so only rare few players go for exotic classes.

At least my twist about this. What you think?

spooky

I feel likeif we went 3.5 the game would become slightly uneven with the proposed changes. Pathfinder is a very power heavy system that adds much to potential strengths... where as I feel like 3.5 had so many feats and combinations of feats it had the potential to be broken in itself. then again... it really depends on the books you allow us to use.

I think the job change idea is interesting but it sounds very unappealing. losing half your level is a pretty big price.. I suppose it wouldn't be in a game honestly but in a system style it will cause a long period of being underpowered compared to others in the group...

Either way, I feel like I could enjoy the game with or without these twists and find a way to make things interesting.

steelsmiter

I like pathfinder myself. If we're going pure system I have to ask: You ok with a Savage Barbarian Archetype?
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Zaer Darkwail

If most folks want to go pathfinder then I am okay with savage barbarian archtype. Also I have house ruled the archtype to gain +2 instead of +1 bonuses progression wise (both dodge and natural armor) to compensate lack of armor the subtype encourages in.

Anyways if folks dislike the 'half level reduction' then job change is to do both quest and pay gold to do so. So sorcerer 10 could turn another class like warmage (or summoner in pathfinder).

spooky

Very interesting, I like the concept.

Pipaluk

Would I need any resources for this game?

Is there a list of spells/abilities for DnD or is it sort of just make something up and if you roll a good die, it happens? Sounds like there are certain spells and abilities from the discussion so far, so I'm wondering if there would be a resource that I would want to have pulled up during the game.

Thanks!

Ghostwheel

I would like to add my own interest here ;D
Very familiar with 3.5, moderately-to-mostly so with Pathfinder, and have some different ideas on what kinds of characters to play...

steelsmiter

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on July 24, 2013, 05:51:50 AM
If most folks want to go pathfinder then I am okay with savage barbarian archtype. Also I have house ruled the archtype to gain +2 instead of +1 bonuses progression wise (both dodge and natural armor) to compensate lack of armor the subtype encourages in.
Schweet

QuoteAnyways if folks dislike the 'half level reduction' then job change is to do both quest and pay gold to do so. So sorcerer 10 could turn another class like warmage (or summoner in pathfinder).
So we're only doing up to level 10? I'm confused. If I were to continue being tanky would I end up needing to be a Bbn 10/Ftr 10?
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Zaer Darkwail

You can continue in your class all way to 20th level. But in 10th level you get chance to enter PrC's or do job change (like change from sorcerer to summoner as you cannot start the game as summoner). Job change mostly refers to replacing your class levels with another class which is exotic or more specialized version of your normal class. But nothing stops you from continuing as barbarian or fighter or what have you.

Quote from: Pipaluk on July 24, 2013, 09:13:45 AM
Would I need any resources for this game?

Is there a list of spells/abilities for DnD or is it sort of just make something up and if you roll a good die, it happens? Sounds like there are certain spells and abilities from the discussion so far, so I'm wondering if there would be a resource that I would want to have pulled up during the game.

Thanks!

Online there are free resources both for 3.5 edition and pathfinder.

Pathfinder Rules
3.5 Edition Dungeons and Dragons Rules
General useful wiki for all published DnD stuff, including non-core material

If you want some info which may not be in links (like XP needed for next level in 3.5 rules), other players can provide the info besides GM :).

Anyways Ghostwheel made good question which I answer also here. When pondering what is the 'balance' scale for the game (as shown in here). The balance would be during first 10 levels to be 'Moderate' scale. But after 10 levels it turns to 'high' scale. Reason for change is that in 10th level players get to job change and enter prestige classes (even if they meet qualifications, all quests for prestige classes are closed off until you reach 10th level).

Also as IC game design the game has actually seven 'levels'. To elaborate every level is tiered to char levels.

So starting level or a.c.a 'starting level' is for 1-3 level characters. So the boss to beat this level and advance to next one is 3th level and once your in 3th level you do not gain any further XP from mobs in that level (expect from boss).

However, to create competition for players all quests which can be taken (and returned once) by everyone gives only one level per level. To get to 3th level (or second level in other layers besides 1st), is to find rare hidden quests which can be only taken and completed once (so player doing them robs XP from others). Or alternative is to go and find rare mobs which give generous amount of XP but are more dangerous and do not respawn once killed (and giving rare loot as well).

So to get 3th level in beginner level you need find rare quests or rare mobs to kill. In later levels you need do both to get to highest allowed level (like in level two you can advance up to 6th level by finding rare mobs and rare quests, doing only one or other yields you to become 5th level and doing only common quests gives you 4th level). GM of the game had been generous to give plenty of rare mobs and quests so that more than one char can be max level but not enough cover whole player base (only 50% players can get the XP and extra loot).

This IC mechanic is meant to explain by adventure parties can be pretty aggressive regarding mob kills and hunting quests and may be selfishly so keeping knowledge of said thing than sharing it (and so create rift between beta testers and players who just started at launch even if beta testers do not cover whole 50% player base).

As further competition mechanic every 'boss' in the game has loot table which starts at 100% drop chance, but it falls -1% each time boss is beaten. So only first hundred players get the loot in 1% or so (second group gets loot at 99& and third beaters at 98% etc). After hundredth it goes partial percentages like 0.9% and onwards.

Nothing prevents higher level chars participate in lower level boss fight and help folks, but he gains no XP nor loot doing so.

What are folks thoughts about the IC game world rules how game works? As note to folks new to DnD this is not standard DnD rules but more a 'MMO rules' applied to DnD game.

steelsmiter

RAAH! Savage Barbarian all the way!
I don't play in PMs
O/Os