What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Quote from: Brandon on January 25, 2012, 12:57:59 AM
Wait, you died on the easiest boss in the whole game, got killed by curse frogs, and got cursed? Are you just continually rushing enemies without trying to learn their patterns or what?
Subjective, so I'm not going to rise to that bait. Remember please, that it was my first time fighting it. You might have had clairvoyant powers of awesomeness, but woe is little old me. -__-; I had no problem with the frogs either, until one one-shot me (going over it in my head the camera gave a fit, and one got me from behind where I couldn't really do anything in the area I was in). From all the reviews I've read Dark Souls give some very cheap deaths at times. In fact, it's one of the things players of Demon Souls don't like about its spiritual sequel.

Wolfy: Actually, I was winning, he had a third of his HP left, and I was running in to repeat the same process that worked this whole time, the whole tine he never hit me, and this time he knocked me down and before my character could get back up (that's a slow animation) he got hit again. :[
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Getting rid of the basilisk curse isn't that hard, though. I think the cheapeast and easiest place to do it is the undead church, in the bell tower, for 3k souls.

Basilisks are also pretty easy as long as you don't get swamped. The curse is awful, but it's easy to avoid. It's usually the first thing they do, so just keep your distance until they've used their cloud attack. They're otherwise puny.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on January 25, 2012, 07:09:32 AM
Getting rid of the basilisk curse isn't that hard, though. I think the cheapeast and easiest place to do it is the undead church, in the bell tower, for 3k souls.

Basilisks are also pretty easy as long as you don't get swamped. The curse is awful, but it's easy to avoid. It's usually the first thing they do, so just keep your distance until they've used their cloud attack. They're otherwise puny.
Really, just what I want to do. Slog all the way back to Firelink Shrine from the Depths, just so I can grind out 3K in souls to pay someone to slog all the way back down to the depths. It's pretty far away from where I am. Not really appealing.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Just gave the demo of The Darkness 2 a spin. It's looking goo-ood.

Sabby

I'll be getting Kingdoms of Amalur on Xbox, because the only way to play a game like that is with a controller, and my Xbox plays on a monitor, and there's no chance of hardware complications. But I'm getting the Demo on Steam ^.^ alongside The Darkness 2.

The Darkness 2, Kingdoms of Amalur, Max Payne 3, Mass Effect 3, Bioshock: Infinite, I Am Alive... fuck the first half of this year is already looking amazing.

Hemingway

Quote from: Sabby on January 25, 2012, 09:29:05 AM
I'll be getting Kingdoms of Amalur on Xbox, because the only way to play a game like that is with a controller

Play on PC, with a controller!

No, no. I sort of agree with you. If there's one type of game that goes really well with consoles, it's 3rd person hack and slash games.

That said, I think I may have encountered the worst enemy in Dark Souls. You ready for it? The damn console itself. I entered Blighttown, and the framerates are awful. I mean, I don't normally complain, but the drops are so intense it makes navigation and combat difficult. I mean, it might be the game itself, I know you can get performance issues even with PCs that are way more powerful than the system requirements, but still. With no way of adjusting video settings, it's ... a problem.

Sabby

I already tried that. PS3 controller was synched up, proper drivers, calibrated, followed every step exactly from every tutorial... and it still didn't work. This is why I'm console >.>

Sabby

The 360 controller need's it's own special receiver, and based on the trouble I've gone through, I'm not fucking paying to do it again >.>

Hemingway

Well, all the same, it's a superior controller.

Dammit. I feel like I've been cheating on my xbox now. Maybe I should fire up Darksiders...

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on January 25, 2012, 12:12:12 PM
Well, all the same, it's a superior controller.

Dammit. I feel like I've been cheating on my xbox now. Maybe I should fire up Darksiders...
It won't forgive you. Honestly, I don't care either way, I think the two consoles are pretty much equal. For me it came down to price and library. I got mine in like 2007ish and the PS3 had just hit shelves and it had a six-hundred dollar price tag and no games to show for it. I went with the one that had been around. Then I got a new black one, and I could have got a PS3, but then I would have had no games to play for it, and would still need a new Xbox. :\

Money speaketh louder than ye olde puerile fanboy. 

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on January 25, 2012, 01:03:02 PM
It won't forgive you. Honestly, I don't care either way, I think the two consoles are pretty much equal. For me it came down to price and library. I got mine in like 2007ish and the PS3 had just hit shelves and it had a six-hundred dollar price tag and no games to show for it. I went with the one that had been around. Then I got a new black one, and I could have got a PS3, but then I would have had no games to play for it, and would still need a new Xbox. :\

Money speaketh louder than ye olde puerile fanboy.

I'm not sure why preferring one controller over the other makes me a fanboy. I mean, I now own both a PS3 and a 360, so I can hardly be accused of blind fanboyism. I prefer the 360 controller over the PS3 based on how it feels. I prefer the size of the 360 controller, but the most important thing is the position of the thumbsticks. Having both in the middle might have been okay back when those controllers were new, and most games still used the D pad, but ... the 360 controller just feels more like it was made for human hands.

Also, is it just me, or does the 360 have more exclusive titles than the PS3? Or, well, at least titles that are available on PC and Xbox, but not PS3. It certainly seems that way to me, though I haven't exactly counted them.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on January 25, 2012, 01:34:36 PM
I'm not sure why preferring one controller over the other makes me a fanboy. I mean, I now own both a PS3 and a 360, so I can hardly be accused of blind fanboyism. I prefer the 360 controller over the PS3 based on how it feels. I prefer the size of the 360 controller, but the most important thing is the position of the thumbsticks. Having both in the middle might have been okay back when those controllers were new, and most games still used the D pad, but ... the 360 controller just feels more like it was made for human hands.

Also, is it just me, or does the 360 have more exclusive titles than the PS3? Or, well, at least titles that are available on PC and Xbox, but not PS3. It certainly seems that way to me, though I haven't exactly counted them.
I was just speaking about fanboyism in general. Honestly the only controller I've ever not liked is the original big honker for the first Xbox. Even the N64 wasn't that bad.

I was just saying that I'd buy whatever the best value was at the time.
Oh, and yes the 360 has more exclusives. I think that's just because it's been out longer though.

Sabby

Pfft. The Wiiu's controller is a TV. All other consoles are now rendered worthless.

Brandon

Quote from: Hemingway on January 25, 2012, 12:02:22 PM
Play on PC, with a controller!

No, no. I sort of agree with you. If there's one type of game that goes really well with consoles, it's 3rd person hack and slash games.

That said, I think I may have encountered the worst enemy in Dark Souls. You ready for it? The damn console itself. I entered Blighttown, and the framerates are awful. I mean, I don't normally complain, but the drops are so intense it makes navigation and combat difficult. I mean, it might be the game itself, I know you can get performance issues even with PCs that are way more powerful than the system requirements, but still. With no way of adjusting video settings, it's ... a problem.

I ran into that same problem and its horrible. This was what really convinced me that its time for the next console generation. If consoles cant effectively run console only games it shows studio's are being to limited by hardware
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Sabby

Finally got Okami, to see what all the fuss is about... a Zelda Killer, you say? Well, it's not like that's a steep obstacle to mount, but okay, I'll give it a shot.

2 hours in and I wanna claw my eardrums out x.x it's not just the voices, but those are pretty damn grating (think Banjo Kazooi if you fucked around with the speed and pitch until it sounds like a wind tunnel full of chimes) it's how patronizing they are. GEE! LOOK AT THAT! I wonder if you could fix that somehow... but I guess that's not possible. It's not like you could USE YOUR BRUSH TO MAKE IT WORK! Nah, guess it's pointless, no one could ever HOLD R1 AND USE CIRCLE TO DRAW A STRAIGHT LINE.

Oh, I didn't emphasize in red, the game did. It gives ya about 3 seconds to figure it out on your own and then it gets frustrated and tells you exactly what to do. I haven't had my hand held this tightly since Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom...

I hope the controls improve as well... do you get speed upgrades? Because you need to plod along like a crippled for a minute before you start jogging, and then if you jump you lose your sprint and the PS2 control stick is absolutely awful x.x you can't make minute adjustments to your movement, you have to turn the camera if you want Okami to tilt, because if you point to the left a little he'll just cut all the way and lose all his momentum.

The fights are completely taken out of the game in the same way a Final Fantasy fight does, the cutscenes are long, unskippable, and force you to sit and pound away at the X button for an hour instead of just leaving the controller down to make a sandwich, the camera is painfully slow... gah, I really don't want to give up only 2 hours in, but this thing is just painful to play.

Khanken

They just don't make games like they used to. One of these days, we'll be old farts in a video game store, and a kid will whiz through a cutscene with skill. And we'll say to them, "Back in my day, when we had to raptor proof our homes, we used to fry up a batch of bacon while the cutscene played itself."

We didn't have our hands held when Geno disappeared into a godforsaken maze filled with random encounters in Super Mario RPG, or when finding Yuffie was a miracle in Final Fantasy VII, or when Ragnarok Online had no strategy guide and we had to find out Agility was a bad stat for a mage after several months of hard work and farming for items with, I kid you not, a 0.01% drop rate on an almost impossible to solo boss that only spawn twice a day per server.

I can understand making a game that a tiny kid can handle, but that's what Easy Mode an HUD gametip interface are for. Bog a game down enough with help, and there is no immersion at all. Then its not a game. Its just a set of tutorials with some action scenes.

Inkidu

Quote from: Khanken on January 27, 2012, 07:00:47 AM
They just don't make games like they used to. One of these days, we'll be old farts in a video game store, and a kid will whiz through a cutscene with skill. And we'll say to them, "Back in my day, when we had to raptor proof our homes, we used to fry up a batch of bacon while the cutscene played itself."

We didn't have our hands held when Geno disappeared into a godforsaken maze filled with random encounters in Super Mario RPG, or when finding Yuffie was a miracle in Final Fantasy VII, or when Ragnarok Online had no strategy guide and we had to find out Agility was a bad stat for a mage after several months of hard work and farming for items with, I kid you not, a 0.01% drop rate on an almost impossible to solo boss that only spawn twice a day per server.

I can understand making a game that a tiny kid can handle, but that's what Easy Mode an HUD gametip interface are for. Bog a game down enough with help, and there is no immersion at all. Then its not a game. Its just a set of tutorials with some action scenes.G
Games actually haven't changed that much, people just want them to so they can complain. It took a guy six hours to get through the original Doom and Modern Warfare 2 on comparable difficulties. That was interesting.

LunarSage

Quote from: Inkidu on January 27, 2012, 07:39:17 AM
Games actually haven't changed that much, people just want them to so they can complain. It took a guy six hours to get through the original Doom and Modern Warfare 2 on comparable difficulties. That was interesting.

That have, actually.  Turn Based was the norm for years until Real Time became popular.  I hate real time and love turn based, so I don't really play video games much anymore.  The fact that these days I don't have $60 to buy a new game doesn't help either.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Oniya

Quote from: LunarSage on January 27, 2012, 07:45:44 AM
That have, actually.  Turn Based was the norm for years until Real Time became popular.  I hate real time and love turn based, so I don't really play video games much anymore.  The fact that these days I don't have $60 to buy a new game doesn't help either.

This is why I haunt the 'used game' sections of my local game stores.  Cheaper games of the sorts that I actually want to play.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Hemingway

I remember when every other game that was released was a strategy game, not an action game. I also remember when action games were less scripted, and didn't hold your hands or slow down time for you.

Not that things were really better before, but they were different. I think these things come and go, though. Just like we got fed up with WW2 a few years ago, it seems like, however slowly, people are getting tired of scripted modern shooters. It was fun for a while, but I'm starting to agree with a few of the criticisms I've heard. Like how, through all of MW3, you're following someone else, doing what you're told, and basically just following a script.

LunarSage

Quote from: Oniya on January 27, 2012, 07:55:36 AM
This is why I haunt the 'used game' sections of my local game stores.  Cheaper games of the sorts that I actually want to play.

Hehe even the "cheap" games are like $30 though for the 360. 

End result:  We have an Xbox 360 that we haven't even turned on in months.  We have a Wii, but we only use it for Netflix for the mini.

I dunno, I suspect I may just be over video games.  I wonder if I would even enjoy old games like MG:Solid and Dino Crisis if I played them again.  Sadly I think I'd be put off by the outdated graphics. 

I did love the gameplay of those older games far better.  Oh and Gameshark was my best friend!

*Laments the lack of cheat codes on modern games*   :'(

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Inkidu

Quote from: LunarSage on January 27, 2012, 07:45:44 AM
Games haven't changed I didn't say trends hadn't. Besides, SimCity and Railroad Tycoon. RTSs were a lot more prevalent than most people think.

TankNSpank

Active:
Space Rangers 2 (PC) - Bought it from GoG.com on sale for $2.99 but it's a GREAT game
EverQuest II - My current main MMO
Heroes of Might and Magic III - I play this co-op with my wife when we feel like taking a break from MMOs
America's Army 3 - for the FPS itch

On hold:
EVE - Got an active subscription and keep training my skills but I've been too busy to give it much attention
Skyrim
WoW - I have the year-long commitment subscription going but I only log on once a month to refresh ownership of my guild

Recently finished:
Space Rangers 1 - Really really good game, I highly recommend it to anyone

Also, for anyone looking for cheap games I cannot recommend GoG.com enough.  They have a huge selection of older games for $2.99 - $9.99.  And since they're older games there's a lot of turn based, 4X and adventure games there that aren't really represented much in today's releases.

Inkidu

So I decided to restart my Dark Souls game, and my run in with the Capra demon this time around confirms that Dark Souls is a positively mediocre game that has nothing really going for it but brutal difficulty. I tried no less than ten times losing at least three stored humanity and probably upwards of 10K in souls to beat the Capra demon. Here's the kicker. It's freaking luck based, absolutely luck based. Will he hit me when I roll this time? Will his dogs suddenly get to me in a burst of speed? Will one of his tracking attacks (of which every enemy in the game has the majority of, people who say different can actually use the useless roll mechanic. I can never get it to work without getting hit all the time) hit me as I go up the stairs? You can say, well luck is a factor in anything, but when it comes to needing good luck to actually beat a boss then it's pointless. People can't change their luck. They can get practiced, they can get skilled, but you can't get lucky. You can only be lucky.

It's a game with a bunch of poorly-implemented tendencies and mechanics defended because it's "hardcore" and "Old School". Forget that I'm going to go play games that are actually challenging and fun and if hardcore and old school mean the opposite of that, I wash my hands of it.