Cyberpunk Detective [EX for violence, gore]

Started by GloomCookie, September 04, 2010, 09:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GloomCookie

With the world population nearing 12 billion, with 600 million in the United States alone, life has become horribly cheap and meaningless for most.  Murders in overcrowded cities are so common that many are simply written off at the crime scene rather than investigating anything.  The few crimes that are investigated to any sort of depth are those revolving around political figures or people considered popular.  These murders end up taking almost all the time available to the NYPD Homicide division.  Large profile cases are given to senior detectives while lower profile cases get shuffled off onto junior detectives who try and work hard to get up the ladder of promotion.

Most of the city has slowly been rebuilt over the last century by wealthy business ventures and the city itself.  With commerce becoming the singular focus of the city, offices have begun pushing out of Manhattan into the surrounding boroughs, pushing housing closer and closer together.  The corporations are left to conduct most of their business without interference from the government, and this has attracted interest from biomedical firms interested in studying on humans.  The corporations in New York want the latest in advanced research, and the overcrowding combined with poverty means these research firms have numerous ways of obtaining research subjects.

While technically illegal, the harvesting of humans has become quite standard, so much so that many of these labs no longer strive to keep their subjects alive beyond what is needed for testing.  Many subjects who sell themselves do so to feed their families, or are simply sold by the families and are hauled away kicking and screaming.  NYPD turns a blind eye to this practice, and as long as they don't actually find anything, the corporations are free to do as they please.  But the problem with inviting the unwashed masses into the research institutes invites problems that only the middle class seem to bring, such as disease and genetic defects.

The only way around this would be to start getting more adequate candidates, but none are eager to volunteer.  The only way around this is to start making suitable candidates disappear from the population.  And it so happens that one such disappearance lands on the desk of Junior Detective Jessica Norsworth.  Does she have the wits to piece together the evidence?  And if she does, what will she do with this information?

Looking for someone to play a GM for this scenario who isn't afraid to play mind games and give clues to work with.  If interested, PM me and we can discuss details.
My DeviantArt

Ons and Offs Updated 9 October 2022

Le Immortelle

Just posted to say, this is a fantastic idea..hope you find someone for that. :)

GloomCookie

*shakes her fist* You are evil for making me think someone was taking interest only to have that hope dashed to pieces!  Darn you I say!
My DeviantArt

Ons and Offs Updated 9 October 2022

PeacethatPowerbrings

Well, I'd be interested in doing it. If you still need someone you can PM me and we can work it out.
I am filled with recollections of lives I have not lived.