Leaking batteries - what to do with them?

Started by Beorning, July 30, 2012, 04:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

Just what the title says...  :o

In the past, I've used up quite a lot of batteries: for my walkman, for my cordless mouse... For some reason, after draining batteries, I didn't throw them away, but I kept them in a drawer. Today, I looked into the drawer and I noticed that some of the batteries seem to be leaking something white and crystal-like...

What should I do with it? Is it acid? Can I touch it? Is it toxic..?

Help!

Trieste

Trieste

The chemicals in batteries aren't really good for happy funtimes with your skin, it's true. Something like vinegar will neutralize them though. Kind of like vinegar and baking soda neutralize one another.

Oniya

Just take a baggie and use that as a barrier between your hands and the batteries. Once you've got the batteries in your baggie-shielded hand, just turn the bag inside out and the batteries will be neatly inside and ready for disposing.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Oniya

Works for many things you don't want to touch.  I learned it when my parents had a dog and we had to clean up after her.  ;)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beguile's Mistress

Check with your local refuse collector for the proper method of disposal.  Batteries are not friendly to landfills and they explode in incinerators.