500 Kingdoms and 500 Fairytales

Started by Wistful Dream, April 09, 2009, 04:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wistful Dream

Tales of the Five Hundred Kingdoms
*brief overview
          A fantasy series that deals with the more mature side of fairy tales. In the Five Hundred Kingdoms (almost certainly a literal name), the destiny of witches, knights, princesses and such are regulated by The Tradition, a magical force that is one of the primary sources of magic. Fairy Godmothers, Champions and Wizards are responsible for ensuring that The Tradition is upheld with a minimal loss of life. As with The Black Swan, place-names suggest that these books are set in a fantasized version of late-medieval Europe.

I have a few different fairy tales I would like to try twisting into this. You can take several different ones like the author does but I find it fun. Its fairy tales, only the whole point is to avoid the cliches!

List of Fairytales I would like to use

The Six Swans
Brother and Sister
Three Little Men in the Wood
The Two King's Children
The Goose Girl
Snow White and Rose Red
Donkeyskin

The Light Princess
Oh I think this one could be hilarious!

And of course classics like

Cinderella
Sleeping Beauty
Beauty and the Beast
The Little Mermaid

so...basically, a small group of players, take a story's background, twist it for your character and here we shall discuss a quest of some sort, with the different character's all struggling against the "Tradition" so lets make fairytales not cliches!!

Wistful Dream

Players Interested and their Fairytale

Wistful Dream - The Little Mermaid (no memory instead of no voice)
Ordell - Beauty and the Beast (emotional beast)
Lilias - Cinderella (turned Godmother apprentice)
Neroon - ? (hobbit)
Emma - Rapunzel
Dreamweaver
Chris Brady
Thaleia - Snow White (vampire?)
Will1984

Only really want 8 or less, and have to have some sort of concept before you PM me or Emma about it.

Emmaline

Anything I can do to make this happen, just let me know, this is going to be SO much fun!

Ordered the book (just to give me an idea how to play anyone) and will work up a char later tonight... as well as point a few people toward this thread!

Wistful Dream

Sweet ^^ Oh and I guess...I should probably work on a character sheet.

Ordell

*hopes we get a few more people, looking excited* I feel so giddy about this story for some reason

Emmaline

I am thinking of a Rapunzel who is a hairdresser... need to ponder that over a bit more ...

Will

*looks longingly*

*looks some more*

:-\  Want.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Dawg

Good Idea Whistiebelle

Would join in the fun but already have Little Red Riding Hood and Beauty and The Beast going

Good luck though, I love twisted fairy tales
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
iTs noT reaLLy tHat imPortAnt
untiL yoU're noT geTtiNg anY.."
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
Suffering should be creative,
it should give birth to something good and lovely
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

Duchess

oh my i love fairy tales...

i like

alladin
brother and sister
snow white
the six swans
the little red ridding hood
Rumpelstiltskin
the frog prince

cant chose..

Dreamweaver

*enters the thread with a sheepish grin*

I'm thinking about my character, Wisti - to be honest, first thing I pondered was a Pinocchio character, but you did talk about avoiding cliches!  *snickers*

Wistful Dream

Will pretty please? You even read the same books as me!

Emma, the books I read and the idea I had for it is more high fantasy, granted, hair dresser works, just rethinking it Victorian London would be hard to set up a quest you know?

DW, perhaps instead of always having to tell the truth he always has to lie? Or you could twist it into a bit of Greek mythology and have him made of marble instead of wood and perhaps that causes issues of its own? Backgrounds can be semi cliche, its the story itself that we don't want cliches in.

Thaleia, just chose a fairytale story focused on a girl to give her a background, what happens in the rp isn't going to be like the fairytale, though the Tradition will want it to be.

Will

I'll give it a shot, I think.  I just need to come up with a character.

And I didn't read the last one, Wisti. :P
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Wistful Dream

Well once I finish reading Goddess of the Rose I'll start reading you it....sorry Mister. xp

~tacklehugs and smothers with kisses~ Thank you!!

Duchess

i'm going with snow white...would be cliche if i say instead she cant stand the sun  and only come out of her house at night because of a curse from her step mother...man i have to think this over but yeah

i chose snow white

Wistful Dream

Okay, well I'll start working on a profile layout.

Wistful Dream

And I think that we only need one more girl before we close this, unless more people approach with well thought out ideas.

Wistful Dream

Character Profiles

Name : (and title as well if there is one)
Age : (unless a magical being, like an elf or something, please use human years)
Race: (I forgot to add this before, but there are many magical races)
Fairytale : (Which fairytale this character comes from)
Occupation : (Anything from Princess, to blacksmith, to wanderer)
Appearance : (I would prefer a paragraph or so, but pictures work just as well)
Personality : (self explanatory)
Special Talents/Magical Powers : (Because in all fairytales characters have this, list/use ones that would make sense with the character you chose)
History : (Use a fairytale to get an idea for the basic back history, try to make it a bit different though. But remember the Tradition would guide them into the 'traditional' paths.)

*** I think we should discuss where we want to have this. I think bondage would be the highest this would go...

Ordell

Name : Prince Silvanus
Fairytale : Beauty and the Beast
Appearance : He stands roughly six foot three inches with a firm muscular build, but not overly defined.  Silvanus dresses elegantly as any prince would given his position of power over the people.  His eyes are a cold ice blue and his hair is a dirty blonde that falls down barely in front of his eyes.  It is about three inches above shoulder length and is more dirty than blonde, giving it more of a brown color with the occasional blonde strands.
Personality : He is cold hearted, closed minded and always wants things his way.  Thinking he is always right, he is never open to suggestions from others.
Special Talents/Magical Powers : Some unnatural strength, making him a physical presence
History : On one stormy night a woman, beautiful and lavish sought shelter in the castle which he dwelled in.  His attitude, despite her appeal, turned her away.  No matter how much she pleaded, Silvanus would simply not let her stay for the night and cursing his name, she left the grounds into the nearby town where all his servants came from.  For weeks, she made a scene and told them of the heartless prince, calling him a beast, among other things. 

Bit by bit, the servants stopped showing up to the castle and left him to fend by himself.  Even the brothels that used to supply him with his other pleasures kept their women away in fear that his attitude may be bad for their women.  Since then, he has been forced to sneak into the village at night and abduct women from the same brothel or stooping as low as wandering women.  They would disappear for weeks at a time and come back with broken spirits and hearts and the townspeople began to say that to the girls that if they didn't behave, the beast would come for them.  Since then, he has been forced to live alone in the dark, damp castle.

Wistful Dream

ooooh....I like him! Wonderful twists <3

Ordell

Thanks Wisti!  I had been thinking about it all day and that's what I came up with.  I'm glad you like it.

Wistful Dream

Name : Oriana
Race : Half Sea Folk, Half Siren
Fairytale : The Little Mermaid
Occupation : Wanderer (a princess as well but she doesn't know that)
Appearance : Her skin is a pale flawless expanse of cream, without scar or blemish, with eyes of a sweet, gentle jade edged with blue. Her waist length hair is often pulled back in a braid or updo, leaving the short strands of the front to frame her face in romantic wisps. She has a tender sweetness to her looks that draws attention to her without her even thinking about it. She prefers natural colors, greens and other earth tones looking beautiful with her coloring.  The only thing she always has on is a simple necklace, made of gold and pearls with a topaz within a shell glittering on the end of it, which is usually hidden within her bodice.
Personality : Sweet and happy, perhaps too happy. But with a lack of memories the girl is at ease and easy to please. Along with eager to please. She honestly just wants to help other people, and puts a lot of energy into it. At times she can seem high energy, and at others she wearies easily. There is a quick intelligence in her eyes, a lively wit but a very innocent mind; she sometimes does not catch onto things that others know. Like how people can be evil, without remorse.
Special Talents/Magical Powers : Her singing can distract and lead people into things that she wants them to do. It also can sometimes play with emotions, sooth and put to sleep.Oria is very graceful and moves and dances with all the elegance of the waves, her laughter is infectious and she seems to draw those she might need to her.
History : She was born the seventh daughter of one of the many sea kings. As the youngest she was perhaps the most sheltered, though her mother shared with her stories of the world above. And the tales caught her young imagination. Her father was of the long line of Sea royalty, thus he did not have tails as some of his people did, for in the sea there are several races. It is a little known fact that the nobility and royalty of the Sea Folk are not in fact merpeople. There are also Siren's, Oriana's mother was half mermaid and half Siren. But she was her mother's daughter and at the age of seventeen she realized no men beneath the sea interested her. At the age of nineteen she had been going to the surface regularly, her Siren's blood allowing her to breath air as easily as water and the magic surrounding her as the seventh daughter let her be clothed in the way of the dry land she ventured to. But on her nineteenth birthday the Tradition struck and she fell in love with a Prince who was sea voyaging. And so she bartered with a Sea Witch to be able to walk on land. Only the spell went awry and instead of her voice she lost her memories. Thanks to the dragons blood she drank going up she can speak in any language, and speak to the beasts, but without her memories she wanders, drawn by something but not sure what it is.

Duchess

Name : Whitney Snow
Race: enchanted human/vampire traits
Fairytale : snow white
Appearance : Whitney had a skin white as snow, lips red as blood, and hair black as coal. Her slender figure, shaped around the hips and breast made her look like an unnatural nymph-like creature. Her small quiet steps were soundless and almost like floating in the air. Whitney had an eerie beauty and her pale skin adorned by her coal black hair made her a walking mystery. yet the sad glint in her eyes is unmissable and her distracting smile makes you question what burden is she carrying.
Personality : sweet , innocent and caring , very naive and trusting. caring for the young dwarfs made her competitive and a little boyish. sometimes her short temper gets the best of her personaity but that doesn't happen a lot.
Special Talents/Magical Powers : Whitney has the ability to call up animals of any kind with her soothing songs
History : Whitney last view of her father was as a decayed and lifeless king and after his death her stepmother took complete charge of his Kingdome. As Whitney grow older the queen becomes more jealous of her extremely beautiful features, and orders a huntsman to take Whitney into the woods to be killed. She demands that the huntsman return with Whitney heart as proof of her killing. The huntsman takes Whitney into the forest, but after raising his knife to stab her, he finds himself unable to kill her. Instead, he lets her go, telling her to flee and hide, and brings the queen the heart of a young deer, which is then prepared by the cook and eaten by the queen. In the forest, Whitney discovers a tiny cottage belonging to seven dwarfs, where she rests. There, the dwarfs take pity on her, saying, "If you will keep house for us, and cook, make beds, wash, sew, and knit, and keep everything clean and orderly, then you can stay with us, and you shall have everything that you want." They warn her to take care and let no one in when they are away delving in the mountains. Meanwhile, the Queen asks her mirror once again "Who's the fairest of them all?", and is horrified to learn that Whitney is not only alive and well and living with the dwarfs, but is still the fairest of them all.

The Queen disguises herself and visits the dwarfs' cottage while they are away during the day, trying to kill Whitney. First, disguised as a peddler, the Queen offers colorful stay-laces and laces Whitney up so tight that she faints, causing the Queen to leave her for dead. The dwarfs, however, revive Whitney when they loosen the laces. Next, the Queen dresses as a different old woman and brushes Snow White's hair with a poisoned comb Whitney again collapses, but again is saved by the dwarfs. Finally, the Queen makes a cursed apple, and in the disguise of a farmer's wife, offers it to Whitney When she is hesitant to accept it, the Queen cuts the apple in half, eats the white part and gives the cursed red part to Snow White. She eats the apple eagerly and immediately falls into a deep stupor. When the dwarfs find her, they cannot revive her, and they place her in a glass coffin, assuming that she is dead. However, she was not dead, well partially. Every morning the dwarfs woke up and found the house neatly cleaned a breakfast ready for them. until one day , they decided to stay up in the middle of the night and saw a pale figure wandering thought the house and worked hard after feeding on animals she carefully called on  before the first rays of the  of the happily made  there way through the windows Whitney quietly returned back to her glass coffin.

They search for many days with the help of an experience wizard to only found the cure for her curse; was a bloody love sacrifice.

Wistful Dream

Ooooh I love the twist.

Just a note, the ages of 17, 19 and 21 are the major magical birthdays. That's why I worked around that in my profile.

Duchess

hehe..like ordell said been thinking the whole day on it

Wistful Dream