Deception: Murdered in Hong Kong Game Thread

Started by Galactic Druid, January 04, 2016, 10:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Verasaille

Alright, time to borrow a list and put the clues together. Keep in mind that a cafeteria can be in many places, including a school, a hospital, an office building, a Courthouse and even an airport. The FS does not have to be specific, but we have to think of possible scenarios rather than accepting only one possibility.

FS clues: severe injury, cafeteria, written, and action

Player: Yugi006
Means of Murder Cards: Powder Drug, Metal Wire, Pillow, Sculpture(could be a decoration! fits a school cafeteria, an office or an airport)

Key Evidence Cards: Pocket Watch, Surveillance Camera, Exam Paper( fits a school cafeteria), Hourglass

Player: Strangefate (don't think he has anything so skipping)
Means of Murder Cards: Poisonous Gas, Scarf, Electric Current, Plastic Bag

Key Evidence Cards: Test Tube, Iron, Maze, Cassette Tape

Player: Remiel
Means of Murder Cards: Sniper, Illegal Drug, Drill, Liquid Drug
(could be slipped into a drink, even though that fits poison better)
Key Evidence Cards: Seasoning, Skull, Push Pin, Soft Drink
(could be bought in a cafeteria almost anywhere, writing on the bottle or can)

Player: Assassini(skipping because none of the clues fit)
Means of Murder Cards: Mercury, Drown, Chainsaw, Boxcutter

Key Evidence Cards: Jacket, Snacks, Dice, Spring

Player: Blythe
Means of Murder Cards: Alcohol (The image on this card shows something like rubbing alcohol, though it IS up to the murderer's/investigator's interpretation), Kerosene, Machete, Hammer (thinking a janitor here with a toolbelt, found in almost any public building where there is a cafeteria)

Key Evidence Cards: ID Card, Certificate(either works, though certificates can be on the wall in Courthouse, hospital or even school bulletin boards), Internet Cable, Table Lamp

Player:Madame Professor
Means of Murder Cards:Wire, Razor Blade, Whip, Bamboo Tip(bamboo skewers make me think of kebabs, easily found in cafeterias)

Key Evidence Cards: Coffee, Menu(this is obvious!!), Playing Cards, Tie

Player: BAMF
Means of Murder Cards: Wrench, Surgery, Bite and Tear, Wine(thinking of a bottle being used as a weapon, smashing someone over the head!)

Key Evidence Cards: Badge, Comics(reading material while you eat lunch), Video Camera, Leather Shoe

Player: Verasaille(skipping because I think it is too much of a stretch, and obviously I am not the murderer)
Means of Murder Cards: Trophy, Push, Folding Chair, Radiation

Key Evidence Cards: Numbers, Dictionary, Banknote (Odd translation there, it's cash), Switch

Player: James Moriarty
Means of Murder Cards: Blender(blended fruit smoothies found in a lot of cafeterias, hey I know its a stretch, but the clues might be limited), Towel, Venemous Snake, Chemicals

Key Evidence Cards: Note(reading a note at lunch is perfectly valid), Bullet, Timber, Cat

Player: Derwaysh
Means of Murder Cards: Poisonous Needle, Machine(could be as simple as a soft drink machine tipped over), Cleaver, Unarmed

Key Evidence Cards: Lens, Mirror(maybe something written on the mirror?), Steamed Buns(still think this fits with Cafeteria, maybe labeled as hot?), Dentures

Player: Red Pheonix
Means of Murder Cards: Ice Skates, Locked Room(shoving someone into the walk in freezer, yeah I know its a stretch, but not out of the running),Sulfuric acid, Arsenic

Key Evidence Cards: Safety Pin, Wig, Confidential Letter(fits for any cafeteria as reading material), Map(could be a cafeteria at an airport)

I am coding things that fit the clues with red for murder weapon, and green for evidence. The last clue could be simply someone seeing the act and all of the clues fit that. Any cafeteria is bound to have people watching.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

persephone325

In Progress - Entertainment, Relaxation, Assembly, Trading, Visit, Dining

The FS has chosen Assembly.
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

RedPhoenix

Okay, sephie is trying to tell us something as I would have assumed Dining after Cafeteria.

Gonna hafta give this all another look over after work tomorrow when I'm awake enough/have time.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Blythe

Assembly?

Like....the kind where you get chairs out? *ponders* Vera's Folding Chair/Bank Note is looking more likely to me.

James Moriarty

The only options I can still see are in this domain:

Player:Madame Professor
Means of Murder Cards: Wire, Whip, Bamboo Tip
Key Evidence Cards: Menu

Player: Verasaille
Means of Murder Cards: Folding Chair
Key Evidence Cards: Numbers, Dictionary, Banknote

"Dining" would have made more sense than "Assembly" for choices relating to Madame.  It's a weird clue, though, so I don't think it's decisive.

Verasaille

You know some of these clues could have multiple answers, so just because you have guessed a person with one murder weapon and one evidence, keep in mind you need to get both weapon and evidence right.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Remiel

Yeah, I think Verasaille's Folding Chair is definitely our culprit, but I don't know if the Banknote (Cash), the Numbers, or the Dictionary is the evidence.

yugi006

I'm leaning towards numbers with the folding chair as the culprit. I was leaning towards banknotes up until the last clue. Dining would have been a better choice for it. The dictionary could be the one too but my favorite is numbers.

Strangefate

Could assembly also mean, like, building something?  The clues aren’t always spot on right?  So to me that makes Sniper (how many movies have you seen with the bad guy assembling the rifle?), Drill, Hammer, Blender, and Machine viable choices. 

Which gives me the following possible suspects:

Remiel with Sniper or Drill and Seasoning.  Soft Drink possible but the writing is stretch.

Blythe with Hammer and ID Card/Certificate.  Bit of a stretch to put those in the Cafeteria though.

Madame P with Bamboo Tip and Menu.  Pretty good I think.  Some assembly required to turn bamboo into a murder weapon.  Also you sort of 'assemble' a meal with a menu by picking sides and what not.

Verasaille with Folding Chair and Bank Note.  An okay fit too.  Little confused why Cafeteria was a clue with this one though.

James with Blender and Note.  Not a terrible fit either IMO.

Still way too many people at this point though.  Hopefully the next clue cuts it down further.
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

"Vanitas Vanitatum!  Which of us is happy in this world?  Which of us has his desire?  or, having it, is satisfied?" - George Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair

Blythe

It's been established that James could not have with the Blender and Note, though. That was my official guess, which was wrong. ;_;

*still sad that wasn't the right one!*

Strangefate

Ooops!  I knew I was going to end up doing that.  I knew somebody had made a guess earlier but I forgot what it was with all the activity and was too lazy to look it up.   :-[
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

"Vanitas Vanitatum!  Which of us is happy in this world?  Which of us has his desire?  or, having it, is satisfied?" - George Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair

Remiel

Quote from: yugi006 on January 24, 2016, 10:53:14 PM
I'm leaning towards numbers with the folding chair as the culprit. I was leaning towards banknotes up until the last clue. Dining would have been a better choice for it. The dictionary could be the one too but my favorite is numbers.

I'm going to agree with this, Yugi.  I think that we can safely eliminate the Bank Note, because Persephone did not choose "trading" as her last clue.  If it was the bank note, Trading would have been a dead giveaway.

It's possible that Dictionary could be the evidence, but we were already locked in on the Folding Chair, so "Assembly" could have meant, large numbers of people.

I'm tempted to pull the trigger with Folding Chair and Numbers but I'll wait for one more clue.

Madame Professor

When I think Assembly, I think of a prep rally or the "Rah-rah!" meetings we'd have back in the day when I worked in the office. Usually they were in celebration of some award or something... So it could be the Trophy, too. The Cafeteria and Written clues could relate to the evidence, in this case the Bank Note.. My thinking is.... we've been throwing about the Folding Chair idea for awhile, Perse can see that... so if that was it, why not give us Dining or Trading to help use narrow down the evidence, unless she wanted us to focus somewhere else?

I could be wrong, of course, I was last game.
The Professor's Research Notes (O/O)  Locked away in the Laboratory (A/A) 
Not currently available for new roleplays
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

Verasaille

Are we forgetting that severe injury could also mean a delayed reaction? If the Cafeteria is in a hospital, it could very well be Bamf with surgery, (Maybe he left something in?) And only realizes it when he reads his latest comic in the assembly after surgery! The poor patient may very well fall over dead with internal trauma, like a heart attack?

yugi006

Quote from: Madame Professor on January 25, 2016, 10:03:18 AM
When I think Assembly, I think of a prep rally or the "Rah-rah!" meetings we'd have back in the day when I worked in the office. Usually they were in celebration of some award or something... So it could be the Trophy, too. The Cafeteria and Written clues could relate to the evidence, in this case the Bank Note.. My thinking is.... we've been throwing about the Folding Chair idea for awhile, Perse can see that... so if that was it, why not give us Dining or Trading to help use narrow down the evidence, unless she wanted us to focus somewhere else?

Assembly doesn't necessarily have to be for a celebration of an award. It could simply just be a meeting for like the first day of school or a religious one or just a general meeting and place that with the cafeteria. Banknotes was my first thought but when Assembly was given Numbers became the number one choice for me. Both fit with Cafeteria and Written as well as Assembly.

Quote from: Verasaille on January 25, 2016, 01:33:17 PM
Are we forgetting that severe injury could also mean a delayed reaction? If the Cafeteria is in a hospital, it could very well be Bamf with surgery, (Maybe he left something in?) And only realizes it when he reads his latest comic in the assembly after surgery! The poor patient may very well fall over dead with internal trauma, like a heart attack?

Un;ess otherwise specified it's just a regular cafeteria in my opinion. With every other clue that has been given out it does make sense to associate this with a hospital.

RedPhoenix

Wow I was brain dead last night. I thought Assembly meant like, Assembly Line, or Some Assembly Required. I completely spaced that it meant gathering of people.

Remiel

Quote from: Madame Professor on January 25, 2016, 10:03:18 AM

I'll admit, the Trophy could be a possibility, except that I can't see how it fits with the Cafeteria.   I mean, maybe a school could have a trophy display case in its cafeteria?   But I think if I was going for Trophy, I would have said either Classroom or Dormitory.  I think Cafeteria fits much better with the Folding Chair.

RedPhoenix

Can we possibly get the op updated with the clues in play please? :)

Verasaille

Check my post #250, it has all the clues not on this page.

Remiel

Quote from: RedPhoenix on January 25, 2016, 06:34:00 PM
Can we possibly get the op updated with the clues in play please? :)

Clue #1: Cause of Death - Suffocation, Severe Injury, Loss of Blood, Illness/Disease, Poisoning, Accident
Clue #2: Location of Crime - Playground, Classroom, Dormitory, Cafeteria, Elevator, Toilet
Clue #3: Evidence Left Behind - Natural, Artistic, Written, Synthetic, Personal, Unrelated
Clue #4: Noticed By Bystander - Sudden Sound, Prolongued Sound, Smell, Visual, Action, Nothing
Clue #5: In Progress - Entertainment, Relaxation, Assembly, Trading, Visit, Dining

persephone325

Are you referring to my post, or Guy's opening post?
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

RedPhoenix

The first post in the thread! :)

And thanks, working on big huge effort post.

RedPhoenix

Cause of Death- Suffocation, Severe Injury, Loss of Blood, Illness/Disease, Poisoning, Accident

The FS has chosen: Severe Injury.

Location of Crime - Playground, Classroom, Dormitory, Cafeteria, Elevator, Toilet

The FS has chosen Cafeteria.

Evidence Left Behind - Natural, Artistic, Written, Synthetic, Personal, Unrelated

The FS has chosen Written.

Noticed By Bystander - Sudden Sound, Prolonged Sound, Smell, Visual, Action, Nothing

The FS has chosen Action.

In Progress - Entertainment, Relaxation, Assembly, Trading, Visit, Dining

The FS has chosen Assembly.

Okay going through the clues...

Yugi
Means
Powder Drug - Clearly out, Poisoning, Illness/Disease, Accident.
Metal Wire - Possible, fits Severe Injury and Action
Pillow - Clearly out, Suffocation.
Sculpture - Possible, fits Severe Injury, Action

Key Evidence
Pocket Watch - Not specifically ruled out, but fits nothing
Surveillance Camera - Not specifically ruled out, but fits nothing
Exam Paper - Clearly Out, Classroom
Hourglass - Not specifically ruled out, but fits nothing

You have to squint really really hard to see a case against Yugi here. Still don't think it's him, but I suppose there are a few remote options hovering around in there. Still it would have to be a series of clues that our FS hasn't been able to actually suggest and I just don't see that.

Strangefate
Means
Poisonous Gas - Clearly out, Poisoning
Scarf - Clearly out, Suffocation
Electric Current - Clearly out, I think it is some combination of Accident or Sudden Sound or something to that effect if this is the means
Plastic Bag - Clearly out, Suffocation

Key Evidence
Test Tube - Clearly out, Classroom
Iron - Possible, could fit in any room and fits with Action
Maze -Not Ruled out, but fits nothing
Cassette Tape - Clearly out, definitely would have been a sound clue for this, or Entertainment

And once again, with all four means clearly eliminated, I am more certain of Strangefate's innocence than anyone else.

Remiel
Means
Sniper - Possible but Unlikely, Fits Severe Injury, Action etc. But I think Sudden Sound has to be the pick when it's Sniper Shot.
Illegal Drug - Clearly out, Poisoning, Illness Accident etc.
Drill - Possible, fits Severe Injury, Action.
Liquid Drug - Clearly out, Poisoning, Illness, Accident etc.

Key Evidence
Seasoning - Clearly Out, fits Cafeteria very well, other connections marginal at best, would have gone with Dining for any food item
Skull - Clearly Out, It doesn't get more Personal than your skull does it?
Push Pin - Not Ruled Out, but far from the best fit for Cafeteria.
Soft Drink - Clearly Out, Fits Cafeteria and has Writing on it. But probably would go with Synthetic here, also Dining.

I think Remiel is basically out at this point.

Assasini
Means
Mercury - Clearly out, Poisoning
Drown - Clearly out, Suffocation
Chainsaw - Possible, but unlikely, it fits Severe Injury but you gotta think Chainsaw would mean Prolonged Sound
Boxcutter - Possible, fits Severe Injury, wouldn't make much noise so Action fits.

Jacket - Not Ruled Out, neither suggested nor excluded by any of the clues
Snacks - Clearly Out, Fits Cafeteria, but would have to think Dining if any food item.
Dice - Clearly Out, Entertainment/Relaxation
Spring - Neither suggested nor excluded by anything

If the answer is Spring, I honestly have no idea what would be picked for that. Boxcutter/Spring is a possibility that hasn't been ruled out, but it's a pretty weak one, same with Boxcutter/Jacket.

Blythe
Means
Alcohol - Clearly out, Poisoning/Accident
Kerosene - Possible but Unlikely, I would think smell would be picked for this
Machete - Possible, fits Severe Injury and Action
Hammer - Possible, fits Severe Injury and Action

Evidence
ID Card - Possible, fits written, and students have id cards, fits cafeteria and assembly
Certificate - Possible but less likely, fits Written, but I think I would have gone with Classroom or Elevator
Internet Cable - Out, would have gone with Classroom, Dorm, Entertainment, etc
Table Lamp - Out, dormitory much better

Four solid possibilities for Blythe - Machete/ID, Machete/Cert, Hammer/ID, Hammer/Cert

Madame Professor
Means
Wire - Out, I'm picturing a garrote wire, so I think suffocation is much better
Razor Blade - Possible, Fits Severe Injury, Action
Whip - Out, definitely sound for this one over action
Bamboo Tip - Possible, Fits Severe Injury, Action

Evidence
Coffee - Out, definitely dining
Menu - Again out, definitely dining
Playing Cards - Out, entertainment
Tie - Possible, not specifically suggested or excluded by anything

I think not picking Dining really did a lot to eliminate MP as a suspect. Still a chance for the tie to be the clue, in which case Razor Blade/Tie and Bamboo Tip/Tie are both viable cases.

BAMF
Means
Wrench - Possible, Fits Severe Injury/Action
Surgery - It's a stretch, I think Accident would go better
Bite and Tear - Possible, Fits Severe Injury, Action
Wine - Out, Poisoning, Illness, Accident

Key Cards
Badge - Out, I think synthetic or personal works better
Comics - Out, Entertainment
Video Camera - Out, I would think Entertainment
Leather Shoe - Doesn't fit or not fit anything.

Wrench/Leather Shoe and Bite and Tear/Leather Shoe aren't excluded, but it isn't really suggested either.

Verasaille
Means
Trophy - Possible, Fits Severe Injury/Action
Push - Possible, Fits Severe Injury/Action
Folding Chair - Possible, Fits Severe Injury/Action, Assembly
Radiation - Out, Sickness, Poisoning

Evidence
Numbers - Fits Writing, but would have picked Classroom, out
Dictionary - Again, classroom
Banknote - I think this is out, would have gone with Trading
Switch - I don't think is is excluded or suggested by much of anything

Several strong means, but I think the evidence has been eaten away at with this last clue. Not sure what Switch is tbh, but any of the three means with Switch are possible.

James Moriarty
Means
Blender - No, would have gone with Prolonged Sound or Dining
Towel - Suffocation
Venomous snake - Poison
chemicals - Poison, Accident, Illness

Evidence
Note - Fits Written/Assembly, Cafeteria dubious.
Bullet - not really suggested or excluded by anything
Timber - not really suggested or excluded by anything
Cat - hrm. same

Well a lot of his clues are vague at this point to me, but I don't think there's a viable means.

Derwaysh
Poisoning Needle - Poison, Duh.
Machine - Possible but I'd think sound would have been picked.
Cleaver - Possible, fits Severe Injury/Action.
Unarmed - Possible, Fits Severe Injury/Action.

Evidence
Lens - I think Classroom by far the best
Mirror - Dorm/Toilet
Steamed Buns - Dining
Dentures - Dining

No viable evidence left imo.

Not gonna bother pretending to do myself.

Remiel

Damn, Red, I'm impressed.

Just remember the old Sherlock Holmes axiom: "Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

RedPhoenix

Unfortunately there is still plenty of possible left...