Recruiting, "The Forgotten Tower" A Pathfinder Game.

Started by Blinkin, June 11, 2016, 07:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinkin

They say third time’s the charm, so…

I’m looking for 4 to 5 players for a homebrew Pathfinder game here on E. This will not be a first come, first serve situation, but selections made based upon what fits the story and the party make-up.

While in pursuit of a band of thieves in a mountain pass, a company of adventurers are caught out by a blizzard and forced to seek shelter. The long disused roadway, barely a rutted path after what must have been decades of neglect offers little protection as the temperature drops rapidly with the disappearing sun…

But, when the storm passes, the band finds itself gazing across a snow filled valley; a silent town situated in it’s center and surrounding a tower… but things may not be as quiet as they seem as a lonely steple shows with a bright blue-white light that simply can’t be natural… What might they find below… treasure? Mysteries? Perhaps something as yet imagined by men nor beast…

Ok, down to the particulars and the quirks… there’s always quirks, aren’t there?

To start with, I only need a character profile; use the one below, please. If you really must create a full character sheet, details are below, but the profile will be used for selection purposes. I’m looking for a more or less well-rounded party, so if you see something not being offered, you may have a better chance offering it.

Character Profile

Player’s Name:
Character Name:
Class(es):
Race:
Sex:
Physical Description: (Note: You may use an image, but I will still require a physical description. This will be more than the vitals of measurements and hair/eye. I want to know how they dress and look.)

Personality (A paragraph, or more, please.)

Background:

List 3 non-sexual things that the character simply will not do. (Serious limits, please don’t put “visit a whorehouse.”)

What is the character’s life’s ambition? What drives and motivates him/her?

What do you see his/her role as being within the party?

Character Generation

* Starting level: 5th.
* Point Buy: 25
* Max HP at 1st. Players have the option of ½ +1HP, or a random roll. Once the selection is made, you’re stuck with it.
* Automatic Bonus Progression will be used. So, starting Wealth will be 4,000 gp, plus a magic item provided by the GM valued at 2,000 gp.
* Background Skills will be used
* 2 traits, plus 1 more if a drawback is taken, but the drawback will be played and must appear in the background.
* No gunslingers or pscionic classes, please.
* Only Paiso material and core races please. If someone simply must have a 3 PP item, it'll be handled on a case by case basis.
* No evil aligned characters, please.
* The characters will be part of an established adventuring company.

Some notes about game play…

Pacing is often a complaint in group games in general and system games in particular. “Fast” is, to me, something of a misperception. It’s been my experience that a round of post in a week is not only fast, but blazing paced for a group game on a forum. Realistically, I’ll be thrilled with 2 post in a 10 day period. So, a post a week is the goal.

The #1 cause for game failure is player drop-outs. So, I'm asking that you be ready to devote yourself to staying in the game if you want in. It is neither fair to your fellow players or the GM to begin a game and just disappear. We all understand that RL happens, but if you aren't getting the game that you want, the only way to fix it is to talk to me. I'm here to give you a game that you want to play and will enjoy; I can only do that if we communicate with each other.

In order to try to streamline encounters, initiative will be used only as a means to determine when PC’s and NPC’s act in a round. I know that some players respond faster than others, so I’ll simply say “One character may act.” Or “two characters may act,” as appropriate and whoever posts first goes first. Then, the NPC’s will act and the next “One player may act.” And so on. It is my hope that by doing things this way, slower players will have a little more time to get in their actions. If this doesn’t work, anyone who doesn’t post an action will be NPCed by me and I offer no promises of what such actions might be or the conquences of those actions.

I love to have a party dynamic that is already in place, or at least a level of trust and understanding between characters that never really seems to develop with games on E with characters who have never met before, so this will be a party of adventurers who have been adventuring together for some time. I would like to avoid a "recent addition" situation, if possible. In addition to this, I often find myself being annoyed by characters who either display an attitude of not wanting to be there, or actively acting like the party is blessed to have such a superior personage gracing them with their reluctant presence. Please, lets try to avoid that. As an added measure of the character development process, once profiles are in, I'll ask each applicant to write their IC reactions or views about each applicant's character submission. This will help to establish a dynamic once play begins.

Sexual content will be up to the players. If you want to visit a house of ill repute or seduce a barmaid (or a bartender), I’ll be happy to accomidate you, but it’ll be in a side thread so play isn’t bogged down.

So, any questions? Any interested players?
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

National Acrobat

As mentioned in the prior thread, I am interested.

Player’s Name: National Acrobat
Character Name: Kess Van Ymir
Race:  Elf (Wood)
Sex: Male
Physical Description: Kess stands a few inches under six feet tall, and has blond hair and green eyes. His body also has multiple tattoos, one for each element, and an additional one for fire, as that is his preferred element, and also has some relating to various elven totems. He wears simple garments, usually pants and sometimes a shirt, and goes without shoes unless needed. As a druid, he finds clothing a bother at times, and likes his feet firmly planted on the ground, although certain situations demand the etiquette of shoes, so he has sandals that he will wear if needed. He has a sickle on his belt, but it is worn and looks more like a device to harvest plants. He is stronger than he looks, but not overly strong at all. His slight frame makes him look weak, but in reality, he is average.

Personality: Kess is outgoing, charming and quite amenable to getting along with just about everyone. He likes the natural world, obviously and is most comfortable outdoors. The customs and etiquette of cities and urban areas makes him uncomfortable, and it is obvious at times that he is out of his element in those settings, but he is a quick study, and will always attempt to make an effort to abide by customs and rules of each specific settlement, as long as it doesn't violate his morals or the ways of his gods. He tends to be upbeat, and loves to learn. He will not hesitate to deal with evil, especially undead and unnatural abominations. He loves tattoos and is a tattoo artist himself, and will gladly put ink on anyone who is interested.

Background: Kess is the son of a pair of elven artisans, hence his affinity for the arts and for his own artwork. His mother is a weaver and seamstress, and his father is a metalsmith. While his aptitude is for other forms of art, his parents encouraged him to explore his. He learned as a young elf that he had an affinity for nature and was surprised when forest dwellers who served the Green Faith approached him and recognized his affinity for fire. He then began to learn the ways of the natural world from his mother's sister, a druid herself, and officially joined the faith. He is a sponge when it comes to knowledge, and loves to hear lore, stories and tales of just about any stripe. His aunt also fostered in him the ways nature is twisted, and how the need to combat abominations is a sacred duty of the druids. Unlike many druids, his bond is not with an animal companion, but instead, the power of fire manifested in him, and the Green Faith provides him extra gifts to combat threats against the natural world in the form of an affinity with casting fire. His good nature and personality often have gotten him appointed as a diplomat from his faith when dealing with other faiths or communities.

List 3 non-sexual things that the character simply will not do. (Serious limits, please don’t put “visit a whorehouse.”)

1. He will not associate with or ally with, evil beings, especially not undead. That is a no-go in his mind. As a druid, they are abominations and must be destroyed.
2. As a neutral good druid, he will not attack or kill those that surrender unless they betray him or his friends. A surrendered foe deserves mercy and to be brought to justice fairly.
3. He will not be a snobby elf and he won't stand for others of his kind looking down upon those that don't have elven blood.

What is the character’s life’s ambition? What drives and motivates him/her? Knowledge, and the desire to use his natural gifts for good. He also wants to see as much of the world as possible. He feels blessed to have found a calling so early in life, and wants to use his gifts, but also wants to enjoy life and see other cultures and learn about them. The world is a large place, and he feels a duty to see as much of it as possible during his lifetime. As far as ambition, he wants to climb as far as he can within his faith as he can, to prove to his gods that he is a worthy student and follower.

What do you see his/her role as being within the party? Support, both with spells, knowledge and melee. Wild shape allows for scouting, combat, and aerial/mobile spell casting, and the druid has a fair number of attack spells available, as well as other support spells.

Respond to the below In Character for your proposed character:
The bartender looked at you over the counter, a mug of ale in his hand and a damp rag in the other. He meets your eyes as he sits the mug down before you, “So,” He says in a rough, gravelly voice, “You think you’re an adventurer?” He points back at a massive skull mounted high on the wall, two long mandibles sticking out from it’s maw… a wide brimmed hat sits on top of it. “Killed that umber… oh… 20 years now, I guess.” He pulled down the color of his shirt to show two scars on either side of his thick neck, “It tried to take a bite out of me, you see.”

Kess looked up. 'Where did you encounter it? How did you kill it? Those scars look like they left rather deep wounds. I can imagine what the beast was like as it was threatening and attacking you. Was it hard to bring down, did it have any weaknesses that could be exploited?'. As usual, Kess was full of questions. He hoped the bartender would be able to answer them. It wasn't everyday that you had someone in front of you that was experienced at bringing down such a creature. He narrowed his eyes, studying the shape of the skull, and pulled out a small pad and pen, and began to draw and make notes. 'That would make a fine tattoo for someone. Just look at how menacing it is even dead, and mounted on the wall' he added. The sketch looked a little more ferocious than the skull really was, but a good artist never missed a chance to add their flair, even if subtle, to something. He'd met many bards who had told him that.

Anything else that you think may help your character get into the game?

Blinkin

Thank you for your Interest National Acrobat. We'll see what happens from this point on.

As an added note, I've made a few minor changes to the initial post to hopefully make it less draconian seeming. I'll add one more point here.

Unless someone wants to work with me on mapping, there will not be any mapping in this game. It'll be strictly old school... and I mean really old school and take place in the imagination.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

ArinTalis

Player’s Name: ArinTalis
Character Name: Fiona Smythe
Class(es): Cavalier (Huntmaster) (Order of the Guard)
Race: Human
Sex: Female
Alignment: Lawful Neutral (I added this because I think it helps. ;) )
Physical Description: Fiona is a pale woman with raven dark hair that goes down to her waist and dark brown eyes. She's 5 foot 9, and physically impressive underneath her armor, with a kind of wiry build that belies her true power. She has an hourglass figure that would be the envy of most noblewomen she meets, and moves with incredible grace and precision.

Character Portrait

Personality: Fiona is a young woman with a regal bearing and a fondness for innuendo. ("In Your Endo, eh?") She fights because its always been a part of her everyday life. Although she's young, and a bit impulsive, she mostly adventures because she doesn't know what else to do with her life. Eventually, the Smythe family will likely find her an arranged marriage and she'll have to be truly responsible, so she's just trying to have an adventure and find herself before reality ensues. She's somewhat fatalistic about her prospects, in fact. Her life has been a series of transitions, and she's waiting to see whether or not the next one will be better or worse than her current state: in the mean time, protecting other people is just part of the fun.

Background: Fiona Smythe was a child of mercenaries, who brought her along their campaigns. As she grew, she quickly became the company mascot. The Smythe Company successfully assisted a local lord with a major bandit problem, and her father became Sir Smythe. The company became his personal army, and Fiona became something she never expected: A knight (Dame, technically, in medieval parlance). The transition was strange, but it had its benefits: learning falconry had been a particular joy, and she's gained the services of a deadly bird of prey known as Hemmingway. Since her transition to minor nobility, Joining the Order of the Guard as one of her proudest achievements, she currently works as a bodyguard, upholding their ideals as well as her own.

1. Will never take a bribe
2. Will never go back on a vow to protect someone as a member of the Order of the Guard
3. Will not go take part in a conflict that could put her noble family in danger.

Fiona is listless, and her ambitions are tempered by duty. She is chained by her devotion to her family, and its noble status. She fights as a bodyguard and member of the Order of the Guard because it gives her purpose, and without that purpose, she would feel lost. She needs to protect others, because that is what makes her happy right now.

Tank. 200% combat tank, with heavy DPS added from the combined efforts of her and her falcon. As a huntmaster, she's an interesting combination of Ranger Hunting and Cavalier Challenges, so she'd also be an excellent utility character in the wilderness. She would also be a good peacemaker, and quite skilled at negotiation with various groups the party may encounter.

The bartender looked at you over the counter, a mug of ale in his hand and a damp rag in the other. He meets your eyes as he sits the mug down before you, “So,” He says in a rough, gravelly voice, “You think you’re an adventurer?” He points back at a massive skull mounted high on the wall, two long mandibles sticking out from it’s maw… a wide brimmed hat sits on top of it. “Killed that umber… oh… 20 years now, I guess.” He pulled down the color of his shirt to show two scars on either side of his thick neck, “It tried to take a bite out of me, you see.”

Hemmingway flies off of Fiona's shoulder, landing on the skull, examining it more closely. Fiona gently presses a finger to her cheek thoughtfully as she considers something.

"I wouldn't like to be ambushed by that thing. Though, I'd more likely do the ambushing. It might surprise you to learn that I'm a skilled hunter, and something that size is likely to leave some nice tracks."

She gives the old adventurer a shrug, and a soft smile. She's in the mood for a drink, not a fight. Hemmingway returns to her usual shoulder, holding the wide-brimmed hat in its beak, eyeballing the old adventurer warily. Fiona hands Hemmingway a bit of jerky, and the falcon eats it dutifully, dropping the hat into her waiting hand. She passes it over to the adventurer with a light smile. With any luck, he wasn't so drunk this would end in a fight.

Give her something to protect using her class features. That'll be an easy hook.

Blinkin

She seems interesting, but I have a question about the Challenge feature and a conflict between the Order's challenge and the Huntmaster's Beastial Challenge feature.

As these seem to be in conflict, which are you going with? The Order, or the archetype? You can't have both, I don't think and under the rules, the archetype usually replaces it. But, as it's a part of the Order... I'll let you choose.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

ArinTalis

There is no conflict. At first glance, her "hunting pack" no longer being a mount would make it seem as though half of Order of the Guard's order bonus would no longer apply. However, Bestial challenge changes challenge so that the benefits of it apply to both her and her hunting pack, which also grants her and her bird their order bonus. Now, if "Order (ex)" was modified, then we'd be having an entirely different discussion. ;)

Although, truth be told, the text IS a bit of a gray area. It doesn't entirely match up with normal rules for Order of the Guard, though the change from Mount Animal Companion to Hunting Pack Animal Companion(s) is a bit tricky. It's basically the same class feature, except I get a Bird animal companion instead of a Mount. If you want to say that the Bird cannot gain the benefits of Order of the Guard's non-challenge class features because it's not technically a mount, I'd understand, and I'd be willing to swap things around... although I would point out that they're basically the exact same class feature.

Your call. Should I change up my order?

EDITED: Made a more thorough read of the class features and came to the above conclusion.

Blinkin

After looking at the challenge feature again, I see where I misread the description. You're correct and no change is necessary.

I initially read the Order challenge as a defensive stance, protecting rather than offensive. I see where I made that misunderstanding. She's still required to be between her ward and the thing that she challenges, but the companion also gets that bonus, as long as it's between the ward and the challenged creature.

I was hoping for a little more interest by now, but we'll see what happens.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Chulanowa

There's no conflict.

When your Cavalier issues a challenge, she gets the usual Challenge bonuses and penalties, plus the Order of the Guard's AC bonus when you're between your target and your ward. Your archetype just lets all of that apply to your animal Companion(s) in addition to yourself. They'll get the damage bonus, the AC penalty versus opponents that you didn't Challenge, and if they're between the target's challenge and your designated ward, they'll get the Morale boost to AC. The Archetype [i[modifies[/i] the challenge ability, it doesn't replace it.

Also? I'm interested. I have a character I want to play, I think she's going to be a cleric. Or He might be a wizard. Or something.

Shame about the Gunslinger, but when you sya "Psionic" do you mean the third party psionic classes, or the Paizo-published Occult classes?

ArinTalis

To be fair, Blinkin, you seemed bitter with your initial post on my thread. And I mean REALLY bitter. ;) Might have scared people. Although, a group that has (Cleric or Wizard)/Druid/Tank-That's-Effectively-A-Ranger-Without-Heals is going to be pretty hardy and potent. Ridiculously hardy in fact, and a 3 person group tends to have a lot of cohesion/posting frequency.

This could work. ^_^

Blinkin

As indicated Chewy, I said that I had misread the section originally and I'm willing to admit that I'm mistaken. I should be a politician, huh? ;)

As I've often said, one of the greatest creations of mankind is the written language. It's also mankinds greatest stumbling block as it has little capability of conveying intent and is so very easy to misunderstand. In this case, I intended no bitterness in the post, just somewhat strong views on the kind of game that I wanted to run and thoughts on why system games rarely survive a few months. *shrugs* I'm actually a fairly easygoing person in most regards.

The question about gunslingers... I've never thought that firearms of any type really belonged in a fantasy game and the general representation of them seems much more advanced than the traditional fantasy world represented. It's just a bias on my part, I'll admit that.

In regards to pscionics, I meant both Paiso and 3PP material. I mean in no way to imply that anyone sets out to abuse it, but as someone who played more than my fare share of pscionicist in 2nd Ed, I've seen how easy it is to abuse and I'm just not familiar enough with the system in PF to appropriately deal with it. I've read the sections several times and I'm still nearly as confused now as I was the first time. In the situation, it's better for me to simply rule them out.

Besides, between all of the source material Paiso put out, there seems to be plenty of options in oter areas.

Party size is, probably sadly, a result of all of those years of table-top with either too many people or not enough. I can run with 3, but there always seems something missing... *cough cough*rogue*coughcough* ;) Lets see what happens and if Chewy jumps in, we'll have a minimum that I can work with.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

ArinTalis

Chulanowa

Quote from: Blinkin on June 13, 2016, 06:17:58 PM
In regards to pscionics, I meant both Paiso and 3PP material. I mean in no way to imply that anyone sets out to abuse it, but as someone who played more than my fare share of pscionicist in 2nd Ed, I've seen how easy it is to abuse and I'm just not familiar enough with the system in PF to appropriately deal with it. I've read the sections several times and I'm still nearly as confused now as I was the first time. In the situation, it's better for me to simply rule them out.

Eh. The system's fairly straightforward once you get past the fancy jargon. Basically it amounts to replacing verbal and somatic components with thought and emotional components, respectively. No problem though  :-)

And we don't need a rogue. Just have our Cavalier train up a plucky ferret or something. We'll name him Jimjim and he'll have a little bow tie!

ArinTalis

Only Birds and Dogs according to class features, sadly. ;)

Chulanowa

Quote from: ArinTalis on June 13, 2016, 07:42:48 PM
Only Birds and Dogs according to class features, sadly. ;)

Eh, you have Handle Animal, you can train a ferret to do stuff without it being an animal companion  ;D

Once had a gnome with a flock of trained battle chickens.

Blinkin

Well, as the animal companion so far offered is a bird, unlocking doors may be just a little beyond it... but who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and not set off that fire trap on the door... oops, pretend I didn't say that. ;)

Anyway, while I would like to see one, things could probably go with what there is. There's a little muscle, a little devine and... something... You might even survive. ;)
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

ArinTalis

Fiona trains a ferret army.

When asked why, her response is: "...I was bored, and I found a nest."

Mister Ugly

I am interested. Let me see  what I can come up with.

<MU
"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits"
Albert Einstein

What makes the ugly feel pretty ...

National Acrobat

I'll work on a CS starting tonight. I use Hero Lab so it won't take long.

Blinkin

You're certainly welcome to offer a character. :)
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Grizzly

I'd like to submit something, if there is still room.
We few, we happy few, we band of writers;
For they this day that share words with me
Shall be my fellow; be they ne'er so vile,

Blinkin

No decisions have been made yet. throw your hat in.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Mister Ugly

Player's Name: Mister Ugly
Character Name: Isabeau 'Beau' Hardensen
Class(es): Unchained Rogue [1]/ Archaeologist [4]
Race: Half-Elf
Height/Weight: 5'6"/ 110 pds
Alignment: Neutral Good

Physical Description:
Collar length warm brown hair, a lovely face and beautiful blue eyes. Her lightly pointed ears are normally hidden by her hair and the hat she almost always wears. Isabeau's leathers and top partly hide her desirable figure. Her build is one of a dancer, graceful and athletic as well as toned from years of sword work. She tends not to wear much makeup or jewelry since she has no reason to 'dress' up of late.

Personality:
'Beau' as she is called by her friends and companions often seems to be more concerned with the past then the here and now. She has been known to stop and read the faded inscriptions on some half ruined wall or go to great lengths for a partly destroyed tome. This though is not the case. Isabeau is almost always aware of everything around her. She likes to laugh and tell outrageous and often scandalous stories, and she seems to know a huge amount of them. Beau likes her comforts and has garnered many a chuckle when she digs out of her magic backpack, a cot and a downy filled mattress , half folded camp chairs, tied together bundles of wood and even a folding bath tub. She can 'rough' it with the best of them but figures why should she. Beau tends to be calm and focused most of the time but she does like a good party and then her bardic training comes out. She has a lovely singing voice and knows many dances. She is always optimistic even when faced with tough odds. She will take chances since she tends to be lucky...just not in love.

Background:
Isabeau was adopted by Alexander Hardensen, the famed human explorer and Archaeologist, after an attack on the first main expedition to the ruins of Hazard Mountains. Her parents were both half-elves and close friends of Professor Hardensen. Alex found himself well into his 40s and now watching over a newborn.
Beau grew up in and around museums and libraries. She learned many things about lore and the past. When she was in her teens she fell in with a 'bad' crowd that turned out to be made up of the local Thieve's guild. When they wanted her to help them rob the museum her father was at and assault the professors she turned on them. For a while she had problems with various rogues wanting payback but she and the professor just moved on to a new museum.
Isabeau lost her adorned 'father' 5 years ago...he died at his desk translating an ancient tome at the age of 71.
Since his death she has struck out on her own and though a member of the 'Society of the Archaeologists' she has yet to make a major claim.

List 3 non-sexual things that the character simply will not do. (Serious limits, please don't put “visit a whorehouse.”)
1. Will not deal with undead. As far as she is concerned the dead should stay dead unless resurrected.
2. Would not betray her companions or friends.
3. Will not kill the helpless or children unless they are undead.

What is the character's life's ambition? What drives and motivates him/her?
Isabeau has 2 ambitions; the 1st is find something that is known only in legends or stories. Even if only to prove to herself it exists. The 2nd would be to find the sort of love she was told her biological parents had. For now Beau has found love in all the wrong places and has had many a problematic relationships.

Isabeau is support. She can get into most things. Skill at disabling devices and very perceptive. She is not a bad fighter but tends to weave in and out using her speed and skill to do damage. Her magic aids herself and the party.

Isabeau arches an eyebrow at the barkeep and then slinks over to the wall where the skull is at. Before anyone can say much she is up on parts of the wall and balanced as she pulls out a piece of corded and colored twine and begins to measure the skull. A few minutes later she drops down and comes back to the barkeep. Taking a long sip of her ale she asks, "what color was the skin? where did you find it and was there any ruins nearby? Tell me everything about the fight, who was there? what the weather was like? I will buy a round for the house as you tell the tale?"

Don't mess with her hat or her jacket! Isabeau will have some quirks as well -example being she prefers to be naked when possible- and she is a bit of a pack rat. Planning on her having a Handy Haversack backpack and she tends to stick various and sundry things into it. If allowed would set aside appox 100gp and basically say any low gp item [set by the gm] she has stuck down in her pack.
"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."
Albert Einstein

Blinkin

She looks interesting enough. It might be just a little chilly to run around naked, but as my father use to say... "Seems a bit nipply out tonight."

As long as she can pay for the items, she can put whatever she wants into the haversack. I've never seen a description on how the space is arranged; I usually think of a cube, but as long as she doesn't exceed the weight limit (20 pounds for each of the side pockets and 80 pounds in the main space), she can put whatever she wants into it.I recall having an adventurer's Sash enchanted with Secret Chest and got about the same size... unfortunately, the opening was a lot smaller and getting some armor pieces into it was a challenge... but try pulling a spear from one of those little pouches... impressive!
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Mister Ugly

*chuckles*
The note there Blinkin was 'when possible'. Beau ain't dumb. So normally in the field she dress correctly...but get her an inn room and she sleeps in the nude!

<MU
Albert Einstein

Blinkin

I caught that, but you might be amazed on what I could classify as "When possible" when I play such characters. I played one character who was obsessed with bathing and would drop every stitch at the sight of a large puddle in the middle of a bussling city.... Well, not a puddle, but show her a good sized bucket and she was going to get clean! ;)

Of course, warm water was preferable, but water was water and she had no modesty what-so-ever when it came to bathing.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Mister Ugly

Quote from: Blinkin on June 15, 2016, 02:37:15 PM
I caught that, but you might be amazed on what I could classify as "When possible" when I play such characters. I played one character who was obsessed with bathing and would drop every stitch at the sight of a large puddle in the middle of a bussling city.... Well, not a puddle, but show her a good sized bucket and she was going to get clean! ;)

Of course, warm water was preferable, but water was water and she had no modesty what-so-ever when it came to bathing.

Well prestidigitation can 'clean' an object...which to Beau means it just makes you not dirty...a nice bath is why she carries a collapsed tub and we have a druid to create water and prestidigitation can warm things up...so a nice warm bath when possible...though I may have to alter what she does carry since there is only 80 pd in the main section. For some reason I thought there was 200.

Though I do have to ask how warm or cool do you see prestidigitation being able to do...me I normally say from about 38 -100...not cold enough to freeze but a nice cool beer and not hot enough to fry food but enough to make a hot bath or warm soup...

<MU
Albert Einstein

Blinkin

I'll accept those limits. You're assuming that the druid will know the spell, I think that the focus was on fire.

Still, you can melt snow/ice with that spell there. ;)
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Mister Ugly

I have started Beau's character sheet but will wait until I am approved to finish it. Though I may go ahead and get her gear/things bought. That always takes me the longest and by the time I am done I often have barely 10gp left!

<MU
Albert Einstein

National Acrobat

I should have Kess' sheet done tomorrow. Instead of an animal companion he has the Fire Domain.

Ghostwheel

Player’s Name: Ghostwheel
Character Name: Telthor
Sex: Male

Physical Description:

Tall and quite muscular, Telthor is dark of hair and dark of eye. A prominent brow and scar that crosses across one eye mark his face, throwing off any symmetry that might have been on his visage. He tends to be lightly armored, wearing forester's clothes of green and brown beneath any protection, and even goes so far as to paint his armor in dark colors so that it will not stand out in the light. He favors the three-section-staff at his back, but will not hesitate to draw the temple sword or kukri at his side if need be, or even resort to the cestus around one of his hands.

Zara, his animal companion, is a large, mottled snake that slithers silently at his side. Equipped with a saddle, she often carries Telthor at the times when he must traverse up sheer cliffs or swiftly-moving rapids, and he in turn supports her with both his might and magic.

Personality:

Fairly grim by nature, Telthor believes in the "law of the jungle"--that is, that the weak serve the strong and are allowed to live. The world is a harsh place, and often one has to be even tougher than the world in order to survive. In fact, if he were to speak longer on the matter, he would explain that the world is like a rock tumbler where each person starts with many edges and weaknesses, and slowly those edges are ground down until nothing remains but smooth surfaces, and that this in truth is the purpose of the world--to test and challenge each person in order for them to get stronger.

A devout believer in Tanagaar, Telthor venerates owls in their every form and strives to do his best to maintain the tenets of his faith, maintaining watchfulness and order to the best of his ability. With that said, his zealousness at times takes him too far in his punishment of those who he thinks have done evil, and sometimes goes to great extent and extreme measures to see his brand of justice through. He takes an especially dim view of poachers and trappers who encroach into land that is not their own. He also has a soft spot for farmers, loggers, and rangers as long as they do not take too much from the forest.

Background:

Telthor never knew his father or mother; all he knew was that he had been taken in by the camp whore of a bandit party as an infant. Perhaps the bandits had raided his home and killed his parents; perhaps they had simply come upon him; perhaps his parents were still out there somewhere. Regardless, Telthor never knew the answer to that, as only five years after he had been taken in, the whore whom he had begun to look upon as his mother died from some sickness. Telthor would have died soon after, had he not been taken in by Zaknon, the leader of the bandits and a monk of Zon-Kuthon, the Midnight Lord.

However, this was not to say that there was any love between the two; Zaknon enjoyed tormenting the young boy, and took great pleasure in torturing both his body and mind, defiling him with a myriad of scars and bruises that left equal wounds on the boy's mind. Zaknon even made lazy attempts to kill the boy time and again, though somehow Telthor always seemed to survive. One night in a drunken stupor, Zaknon even "sold" Telthor for a night, and one of the bandits took Telthor, causing further mental damage that Telthor remembers to this day.

As the years passed, Zaknon became more and more deranged, and took to long nights of drinking. One fell night he went so far as to accuse Telthor of killing his adopted mother, saying it was only his fault that she had died before attacking Telthor in earnest. Telthor succeeded in defending himself, but in his attempts to ward off Zaknon's attacks and stop the man whom he saw as a father figure, Telthor killed the man without meaning to.

Telthor quickly fled the camp, knowing that the other bandits would come upon him and kill him when the deed was found, regardless of the circumstances or intent behind it. He wandered through the wilderness for days, until coming upon a small shrine where he knelt and called for help from any god who would listen. It was then that a tall man with glowing golden eyes came upon him, and spoke for a time. Telthor learned that he had been watched for some time, and that a deity would not only answer his call, but even take him into their fold. And so the man instructed Telthor in the ways of the celestial, teaching Telthor the tongue and augmenting his ascetic abilities with divine ones.

It was months later that Telthor would learn that this was Tanagaar, the Aurulent Eye, but by then he had already subsumed his life into Tanagaar's teachings, and had routed out a number of those who encroached upon the lands of other people, turning up almost miraculously to turn the died of battle and help those that needed it. Still, the depravities of the past feed on his psyche, and Telthor has promised himself that he would never again be placed in the kinds of situations where he had been in the past. Those past traumas still haunt him to this day, and while for the most part he acts in accordance to the empyreal lord's edicts, he has a sadistic streak an inch wide and a league deep that sometimes overtakes him.

1. Serve those he deems weaker than himself.
2. Maim an animal and leave it to suffer.
3. Do harm to an owl.

For the most part, Telthor would like to see himself at the top of the proverbial food chain. He detests the idea of being anyone's "prey", and can be quick to anger if patronized though he has somewhat learned to curb that anger and keep his emotions in check. Beyond that, his ambition is to prove worthy of his empyreal lord to one day have the opportunity to hear his lord's words directly and accept any wisdom he might give.

Telthor will for the most part be a melee damage dealer, while Zara will try to tie down enemies by doing what she does best--constricting them tightly within her coils.

Reactions:

Kess Van Ymir:
I respect Kess for his dedication to the land; he seems to get on well with people, and is there for when a kick in the right throat won't get you where you want to go. Only two things confuse me about the elf; his dedication to fire, and his unwillingness to bond with a companion to watch his back. I would wonder if he had trust issues, but who in this line of work doesn't?

Fiona Smyth:
While her bird remains blissfully silent, Fiona is a linguistic mass murderer, wasting so many words to say nothing, though I might be an exception as most seem to like her natter well enough. But put a sword in her hand, and she becomes an excellent communicator. Better even if you've wronged her or gotten betwixt her and her charge--watch out in that case, because you are not long for this world.

Isabeau 'Beau' Hardensen:
You wouldn't think that someone with such thin arms could do that much damage with a blade, but there you are. Take the blade away though, and things change. Still, even without it, Isabeau's skill at sneaking and magic are potent--though I'm unsure how well I trust the latter. She should also be careful carrying on with few clothes... that kind of thing could tempt a man... *dark chuckle*

Elsibette Taggle:
Those whom we worship are quite close, and that by itself should say enough regardin how I feel about the little woman. From observing her, it seems as though she has a deeper connection with her deity than I do with mine, which sometimes leaves me... *trails off...* One place we disagree on is helping those who need it, as opposed to helping who is right. Fortunately, that disagreement hasn't gone anywhere.

Tamerlin Silverscar:
Not quite all there, if you ask me. Maybe it's got something to do with that brand of magic she wields, or that the power dwells in her veins that makes it go to her head. Either way, there's a thirst there for power, one that could lead her astray. Still, don't say it to her face, or the very breath in your lungs may be changed to boiling acid. And as much as I dislike the magic there, it's been of much help more than once.

Murasaki:
Too many questions about the world. "How does this work?" "Why is that the way it is?" Things are as they are; sometimes that is enough, and you should accept the world for what it is. With that said, her spellbook seems to contain the solution for almost every problem under the sun, something I've been grateful for one more than one occasion. If only she would desist from pretending to perform katas before unleashing her magic...

Blinkin

Well, hello GW, long time no see.

He's a fasenating character, is he a ranger or a druid or something else?
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Ghostwheel

Inquisitor, actually :-D

Though he could probably pass as a ranger.

Blinkin

The animal companion threw me, I didn't think that they could have them. I need to see how many that makes, a couple of more people showing interest, but there should be a decision by the weekend, I think.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Chulanowa

Player’s Name: Chulanowa
Character Name: Elsibette Taggle
Class(es): Cleric of Erastil 5
Race: Halfling
Physical Description: Elsi is on the tall side for a halfling, nearing three and a half feet. Despite her stature, she seems well-built, with lean muscles earned through a rustic life, and the easy curves of an athletic young woman in her prime. Her skin is a warm, almost coppery brown, complimented by brown, almost black hair that is usually pulled back into a pair of bobbed pigtails at the nape of her neck, Fer face is pretty enough, set with expressive green eyes and a generous mouth, marred by a pink scar that runs from her right eyebrow, across her forehead, and into her hair. When in the field, she dons a suit of well-made chain and leather with all the accessories needed for battle or accessories, but when in "good company" she favors more ladylike attire.

Personality: Elsi is practical and down-to-earth. She tries to keep herself grounded, even when the most fantastical things are happening around her. She's far from dour though, having a good sense of humor and a love of fine meals and companionship. She's uncomfortable in "high society," being a farm girl, but manages to be politic enough to skate by in such situations. She has a strong fondness for animals both wild and domestic, as well as rustic communities - traits which led her to the priesthood of Erastil in the first place.

Background: Elsibette Merrilane Taggle was born in an outlying community of halflings near the Greenmist Forest. It was a typical down-to-earth life, helping her mother in the herb patch while her brothers and father attended the village's carpentry needs. Fairly regularly, Elsi or one of the other children would bring home an injured, ill, or "lost" animal, and the young halfling daughter would do what she could to nurse it back to health, which drew the attention of Meathow Hallistack, the village's priest. He would take Elsi around the village, teaching her the ways of the planting cycle, the animals nearby, and - of course - all about the needs of the village.
   One of the more unfortunate needs of the village was tribute; the Greenmist Forest was home to a particularly irascible tribe of kobolds, who demanded a monthly tithe of foodstuffs and iron... and they had proven powerful enough that the village had no choice but to meet their ever-growing demands. Time and again the halflings had called out to their rulers in the distant cities, but no help was forthcoming. "It's just kobolds," one return letter even read!
   Rescue came in the form of an adventuring band that came to the village en route to one of their goals. When made aware of hte plight the small folk had (and with the promise of gold reward, plus whatever hte kobolds had squirreled away) the adventurers hied off... with Elsi as their guide and caretaker. Though they were a rough, unbound lot, Elsi found an affinity with these tallfolk and their readiness to help others for only what it took to fill their own bellies and tend their wounds. The fight against the Greenmist Kobolds was something of a debacle, but everyone made it out alive if not quite whole. It was a tough decision, but Elsi decided that her village couldn't possibly be the only one out there in need of help. She hugged her parents goodbye, and took on a mission from Meathow to make her "adventuring" palatable to the church, and set off with her new companions into the wider world.

1. Elsi would never willingly go back on her word. If some sort of conflict comes up between two parties she's pledged her good name to, she'll almost always break her promise to the more powerful of the two; She believes that the "little people" need her more than the mighty and strong.
2. You hunt for food, not for sport. Certainly not for bounty! Elsi understands that rarely an animal will become a threat, but that is that animal. She would never participate in hunting animals "for fun," or for profit, and would put herself forward to try to prevent such activities.
3. While generally of a "live and let live" mind, Elsi does have a particular loathing for the cults of Lamashtu and Urgrotha, both of which have caused no amount of pain and suffering to the people she's met in her time as an adventurer. Barring some sort of truly immediate greater danger scenario, she will not abide by these things going unchallenged.

Elsi is a bit of an odd duck when it comes to ambition; to her the ideal end point of her career is settling into a nice home, serving as the nucleus around which a community grows. But that seems so far off! She's more focused on the here and now, seeing the small folk - not just halflings, but the lower classes and peasants of all people - safe and well-off.
   Despite her pride in her own sensibility, she does have a few more fanciful things in the back of her head; She'd love to fly with the silver dragons she's heard exist... or just fly, period. Her faith may favor homebodies, but she's wanted to travel to lands far away, to see what they're up to, to see if the Elk Lord is revered differently there. Are the rumors of a Halfling Homeland true? Is it possible to convert the more savage races like goblins to a more civil way of life - and if so, is it wise? Many of these smaller ambitions are more object of curiosity for her, but hey, you never know.

Elsi looks from the bartender, to the head. Her brow scrunches up. "What on the green earth is that thing?" She makes a face, her nose crinkling, her tongue poking out in disgust at the buglike thing. Then she takes a swallow of her ale. "I've never met one of those, but," She reaches down, tugging off a boot and tugging her trouser leg up, propping her heel on the bar to show freshly-healed bite wounds on her calf. "This goblin popped out of the dirt, like one of those spiders, you know, and he just started going at my leg like a little terrier!" She laughs, her pigtails bobbing a bit on the back of her shoulders. "I couldn't get him off, and I  was just jumping around yelling about it. it must have been five minutes before that one," she pointed a finger towards Fiona "put a blade through it." She's not bragging... but the tale of the pop-up goblin with the fondness for halfling drumsticks was bound to be good for a laugh. "He had a hat too, that's how I got my new tea kettle."

Elsi is a secondary combatant and "toolbox" spellcaster. Yes I suppose she can cast those cure spells, but she's not your Wand of Cure Light Wounds. She's fairly good at ranged combat as well, using her deity's favored weapon to good effect.
   Outside of combat, Elsi is a sort of "pillar." She always has advice, and it's usually pretty good. Her sensibilities and matter-of-fact manner make her a good option for interacting with commoners and no-bullshit nobles alike (think Ser Davos from Game of Thrones.)

"Chasing bandits" is actually a pretty good hook for her as it stands. Most of the ground work will have to be based around interaction with the rest of the group. To which I have the following ideas...
Kess: Let's get one thing straight; While Erastil and the Green Faith might be similar, they're still very different religions. Clerics and druids are different practitioners. And elves are all weirdos. Even after all the time they've spent together, Elsi isn't quite sure what to make of Kess. She trusts him (mostly - she's secretly paranoid that druids want to revert the whole world to a Forest primeval or something) but is never quite sure how to interact with him. Especially when he turns into a fish or something.

Fiona: Despite the knight's title, Elsi feels something of a kindred spirit with her. Maybe it's her bond with that hawk, or her pledge to protect others, but Elsi feels a firm sort of respect for the taller woman. She's been trying to coax her into the ways of Erastil; Elsi's no preacher though, and isn't so rude as to try to be one. Maybe it's been slow going.

Isabeau: This girl is flighty, impulsive, distractable, and probably some sort of pickpocket or con artist! Elsi respects her skills - so long as those skills aren't used to fleece people who oughtn't be fleeced, but if anyone in the party is prone to causing Elsi long drawn-out sighs, it's Isabeau... And not just because the halfling finds her eyes wandering over to the human when she gets that impulse to sunbathe in the nude. I mean what? I didn't say anything!

Chulanowa

I'm noticing kind of a "frontier / woodsman" vibe we've got going here. A Druid, an upjumped mercenary hunter, a law of hte jungle inquisitor, a peasant farmer cleric, and Isabeau the c-c-c-combo breaker

Grizzly

Player’s Name:  Grizzly
Character Name:  Tamerlin Silverscar
Class(es): Tattooed Sorcerer 5
Race:  Human
Physical Description:

Tamerlin is a slender woman, standing at 5’8”, of average proportion.  She has long dark hair, deep blue eyes and her body is adorned with many bright tattoos.  When in town, Tamerlin favours clothing of a very feminine cut but when she is on a quest more practical garb is what she prefers.  Her hair changes colour, becoming streaked with silver, as she expends more of her magical energy and Tamerlin likes to wear a hood over her hair to avoid drawing attention to it.

Still looking for  a decent image but I'll post one when I find one.

Personality

Tamerlin can be friendly and outgoing at times but she has some difficulty in trusting people that she does not know.  She is especially self-conscious around Elves and their kind, too often being reminded of how she was treated by them in the past.  Magic has become a natural extension of herself and she is not afraid to show off a little.  She has slowly grown more comfortable with her appearance and is not above showing a little skin when she wants to. 

Tamerlin enjoys travelling around and seeing the world in good company.  Her desire to prove herself can make her reckless at times and she carries a few scars of when things have gone too far.

Background:

Tamerlin was born from the brief union of an Elf mother and a human father.  Despite this mixed heritage, she shows little Elven traits, taking more after her father.  Her mother, a Wizard, tried to raise Tamerlin in the mystic arts but such training did not come easily to the girl and it was determined after many failures that she lacked the talent.  The human girl did not fit in with the Elves, often being the object of scorn due to the magical markings on her body, and it was soon decided that she should go and live with her father.

Finding her father was not an easy task for a young girl on her own, but eventually she was reunited with him.  Her father had moved on from the moment of passion with her mother and had started a new family.  The family took Tamerlin in and treated her as less of a curiousity and was more welcome.  At least until her Arcane abilities evidenced themselves.

Initially, Tamerlins magical abilities were difficult to control and she was almost sent tearfully away after nearly burning down a barn with her out of control abilities.  It took some time but she was eventually able to control her abilities, but the harm had been done.  Her new family was not as open as they had been before, often treating her like a fireball that could go off at any moment. 

When Tamerlin was old enough, she left to find her place in the world.  Though it would take some time for her to admit it to herself, she wanted to prove herself as a capable spell caster to her mother and a valuable member of her fathers family.

1.  Tamerlin would not betray anyone that she considers a friend.
2.  She does not like bullies and would not mistreat anyone as such.
3.  She will not easily trust Elves.  This is not to say that she would mistreat them.

Tamerlin is driven by a desire to try and prove herself to her parents.  She wants to master her magic, and grow as powerful as she can, to show her mother that her daughter was not a failure.  She also wants to prove that the distrust her fathers family showed her was unwarranted.  How she is going to do these two things is still up in the air.  Perhaps by becoming an adventurer of some renown…

Tamerlins role would be magical support, buffing or blasting as needed.

Tamerlin had noticed the creatures skull when she first sat down at the counter and wondered if there was a story to go along with it.  She no longer had to wonder.  “That’s quite impressive.” She said, flashing a smile.  Having just arrived in town after being on the road for several weeks, Tamerlin found herself thirsty for not only drink but also company.  “Twenty years ago?  You look like you could still fight it today.  Tell me, was it wearing that hat as well?”

Perhaps Tamerlin knows of the adventuring company and has been trying to join them.  She would be initially awkward around Beau and Kess, both being half-Elves, and would need some warming up with them.  Her familiar would be a Hawk so that might give her something to connect to Fiona and Telthor.

Tagan

Player’s Name: Tagan
Character Name: Murasaki
Class: Wizard
Physical Description: Her usually stern, sharp face, make her seem actually old at first glance, though a closer look reveals a normal young, even pretty face.  She rarely smiles, but when she does it's a nice smile.  She wears tight monk wrappings that show her thin form and dull colors so as not to attract to much attention.  She'll often carry a plain looking quarterstaff, and makes martial poses before a combat.

Personality: Hyper intelligent, she has very little patience with fools with power... often taking it upon herself to remove such from power, even if such power is lawfully theirs.  ((She rarely kills such people, but humiliates them in front of their people.))

On the other hand, she cares deeply for the common folk, and protects their interests above her own.  Often she will slay a dragon or bandit army for no personal gain, if they threaten innocents.

She highly respects competence, in any field, martial, magical, academic, or other, and will befriend such folk if she can.

Background: Daughter of a Wild Mage and a Cleric of the God of Magic, Murasaki found adventure all around her from an early age.  Brought along on several quests as she matured, she found her previously academic life view challenged by the notion that she could aid others with her magical knowledge.

1. Kill an innocent, or helpless individual.
2. Enslave someone or thing, (beyond possibly for a few moments to prevent death in battle.)
3. Torture.

What is the character’s life’s ambition? What drives and motivates him/her?: Knowledge.  Of her world, herself, her limits, and her place.  She has a strong sense of duty to make the world around her better by her presence.

What do you see his/her role as being within the party?: The one who knows the esoteric knowledge everyone is asking about. In battle, she focuses on buffing and crowd control, then direct damage once her party is safer.  She also the Swiss army wizard of 'we have this obstacle, can magic solve it?'  Her answer is usually, 'Yes, let me study my spellbook!'

Conversations
Kess

"Kess?"

Murasaki blushes.  "He's very handsome...." she shakes her head.  "Sorry! I mean, I was astonished at first, by... how much we have in common.  His love for art, especially tatoos, makes me excited for the lovely magic we might craft together later, his knowledge of the natural world and local history may even surpass my own in some areas... he's a delight to talk to.  He surprised me quite a bit with his analytical way of thinking, actually.  I am used to Druids being a bit more... quick to act upon emotion, but really, he's quite... logical!  Though you can tell he feels a great passion for ridding the world of the same sorts of evils I detest.  Really, he's quite a catch..."

Her eyes widen.  "I mean that he's a powerful ally, naturally!" she wanders off then, muttering to herself in disappointed tones, shaking her head.
-

Fiona

Murasaki purses her lips thoughtfully before speaking after a few seconds pause.  "Miss Smythe is a professional, and I find her quite... easy to work with.  Her range of experience leaves little doubt for me when I include her into an unexplained tactical manuever.  Her relationship with Hemingway is more fascinating to me.  I have so far neglected to chose a familiar for myself, but their teamwork has inspired me somewhat to examine that choice again."

She tilts her head slightly.  "Yes.  Highly competent... but a little... fatalistic perhaps?  Her attitude about her future worries me at times.  I hope she finds a better reason to fight than her Cavalier's duty."
-

'Beau'

"Isabuea?" Murasaki smiles wistfully, and shrugs.  "What can I say?  I like her, certainly! Hard not to, when we share so many interests."

She shakes her head slightly.  "I mean, she's really more of a dabbler than a true scholar, but she show so much enthusiasm in it, that it's sort of heartening."

She looks thoughtful, and ticks off points on her fingers.  "She's quite agile, of course... good with a lock or sudden trap, quick on her feet during an ambush too, which is always nice."

She shakes her head slightly.  "I might be worried that her curiosity will someday get us killed... but am I that much different in that respect?" she smiles again, wistfully.  "I DO like her.  I mean, she carries around her own bath tub!  That's... so Beau!"

Her questioner asks another quiet question. Murasaki blinks, as if uncertain how to respond.  "Some people aren't hindered by societies ridiculous 'rules' of decorum.  What does it matter if she's a nudist?  Good for her!"

She whispers as she turns away. 'braver than I am, anyway.'
-

Telthor

Murasaki shudders slightly, then glances around to be certain no one is in hearing range.  "Ugh.  Uh, why do you ask?"

She waits hopefully, but sighs when she sees an answer is wanted. 

She shudders again.  "He's... a bit... creepy.  And not because of Zara.  I like the snake.  It's the man I don't trust."

She shakes her head suddenly, and sighs.  "I'm sorry, that was untrue, and unfair.  I do... trust him, at least his integrity.  He does what he says he will do, and that makes him safe to work with.  And certainly, he is extremely competent!  Almost frighteningly so.  I can work with him professionally on the road, or in battle.  It's after the battle that his callous attitude sometimes... rubs me the wrong way."

She sighs.  "I know he's probably got a tragic past... but it's made him... dark.  Darker than I'm really comfortable with.  Just don't mention it too him, OK?  I don't ever want to meet him in a dark alley."
-

Elsibette

"Elsibette Taggle?" Murasaki immediately gives a warm smile.  "Beyond the cute exterior, is a heart and soul that resonates with my own.  I am not a particularly religious person, but Elsibette's way of presenting her faith resonates with me.  I love spending time with her, on or off the job.  Such a good hearted, open person, one I hope to know for many years to come.  A true friend."

She pauses thoughtfully.  "In battle, we have to coordinate carefully.  We both have many spells, and many tactics for using them, but I find with a little effort, our efforts almost always harmonize very well together.  A real pleasure to work with, and truly a vital member of the team.  Probably the first person I would go to, honestly, if I were having a problem I couldn't figure out on my own."

She smiles misceviously "And she's sexy... which never hurts."
-

Tamerlin

"Tamerlin?" Murasaki muses.  "I know she's a bit older than me, but sometimes I feel like an older sister too her.  Magic... failed her, hurt her.  That's not right.  She should have been sheltered and guided.  I want to give her that, though in many ways it's too late.  Still, I do my best."

She nods slowly.  "Yes... a bit of a wild card, as it were, but sweet underneath it.  An innocent still in some ways, while world weary in others.  I hope any kindness that I show her helps her feel more confident about herself... and less fearful."

Murasaki adds, "Oh in battle?  I know where I stand with her.  These days I always prepare the right spells to mesh with and compliment her.  Easy enough... and she's quite powerful in her limited way.  I hope to help her become more creative with her limited selection of powers,"
-

Murasaki looks up blankly as the bartender places the mug in front of her. She raises one eyebrow as her mentions the Umberhulk skull, in her own head judging the authenticity of the scar with her own knowledge of the beasts.

Outwardly she smiles politely and nods.  "Well done, well done indeed!  Umberhulks are notoriously difficult to handle.  I've never faced one alone, nor would I want to."

She pauses, quirks her head slightly as she pears at the mug again, then taps the edge of it with one long finger.  "I didn't order this ale, however.  Have you no light red wines? Water will do, if nothing better offers."

Blinkin

Grizzly and Tagan, interesting characters. Thanks for submitting them. I'll probably make a decision this weekend, but it'll be a hard one to make!
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Mister Ugly

Since in Blinkin's opening he would like our characters to know each other and have some basis to be working/adventuring together and it might help if we started addressing that aspect.

To elaborate a bit more for Isabeau and how I was planning on playing her, think  mix of Peter Quill and Evelyn O'Connell [from The Mummy Returns]. Feisty, educated, and skilled at what she does including combat. Yet also she would and will probably hum or sing a song while working on a trap or to unlock a door. She might very well sing while dancing around a foe in a battle. She might use 'Ghost Sounds' to add in some merry music as she darts into a fight. [never know how it could distract someone].
This does not mean she is 'flighty'. More like she is well aware of life and is having fun living it.

I could see her off in the mountains tracking down some lead on ruins or a lost treasure. Yes she would sunbath nude at times, often with a book open and quill out writing. Though I said she likes being nude that doesn't mean she is so obsessed she would drop her clothes any chance she got.

Blinkin can we offer ideas on that magic item you are going to give us? example -knowing Beua would get a handy haversack would allow me to get her maybe a wand or 2 and a few other items that can help.

anyway let me know what you all would think would be good connections.

MU
Albert Einstein

ArinTalis

I just hope somebody in the party is my Ward/Target-Of-Bodyguard-Powers. That'll make my life SO MUCH EASIER in terms of class features.

Mister Ugly

Oh Blinkin I have not yet finished my Character sheet for Isabeau and will need to make changes a bit in her background based on the drawback I give her. She may need 3 traits not sure yet. I have to see how it all comes together.

MU
Albert Einstein

Blinkin

It's come to my attention that a couple of people wanted specific items but the 4,000 gp that I gave isn't quite enough to aquire the item and personal effects such as backpacks, bedrolls, rations and so forth. To alieviate this problem, each character will receive an additional 500 GP for gear.

Speaking of gold piece values, I would remind everyone that buying magical armor or weapons would be a waste of coin, unless you wish to enchant one of these items with something like Concealment or Flaming, which is priced at 1 enchantment less than the listed price. Instead of 8,000 for a +1 flaming sword, it's treated as a +1 weapon and would cost 2,000+masterworked item cost.

The item that everyone gets free, from the GM, is an earring of Messages. This item acts like the spell Message, with a 150' range. All of the party members can communicate freely at range simply by whispering. Unless you specifically say that you're turning the item off, it is always active. This should be valued, if I do the math right, at about 2,000 GP and was the gift of a grateful wizard who the party did a task for some time ago. Hense, why everyone needs to be part of the party for a duration of time. I have offered to 2 people, that if everyone foregoes the item, I'll give the  players the additional 1,000 GP that is regularly starting gold for the Automatic Bonus Progression. This is now 500 GP, however, as I just gave everyone 500 GP for equipment.

None of the character sheets need to be completed for a few days at least. At the moment, we have 7 porposed characters and I'll have to decide who gets the 5 slots. Which leads me to the bad news.

As a final step to help me decide what would be the best fit, I would like everyone to offer an IC comment on each of the characters offered. Make it meaningful and thoughtful, please. I would be really disappointed if all I saw would be something like, "Like her, she has nice tits." or "SHe's ok, in a creapy way." I think Chewie (And, I know that I spelled it wrong) has already done this for most of the characters. Think about what your character would think and tell me in an honest IC appraisal. If you're concerned about doing this, you can send it to me in PM.

A final note about equipment, if your character sheet doesn't list it, you don't have it. It's possible, even probable that you'll be able to pick up a lot of stuff fairly quickly, but starting out, it might get a little rough if you don't have clothing for cold weather, something to drink and some food for your bellies. Teamwork (Not necessarily feats) will help everyone and I'll give you time to have a quick discussion on tactics most of the time. I will be using strategy and tactics in encounters, so it may not be a bad idea to think about it.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

National Acrobat

In terms of background, Kess is a free spirit. He's a druid, but not one of the 'plants and animals must reclaim the land' types. He has an affinity for fire, and see's his role as the Green Faith giving him fire in his blood to use as a weapon and a source of magic. He loves nature, and the simplicity of it, and abhors the fast paced 'urban' life. Evil and undead are his main points of dislike, as they have no respect for the natural order of things, and seek to take nature into their own hands (in the form of undead) and they destroy and despoil without regard or consequence.

He likes music, art and history, and loves ruins and finding out what history they have. He likes taking the lessons that nature can provide, and applying them to life. He's laid back in most things, and dislikes clothes, especially shirts and shoes. He loves to fly, and aside from the leopard, Falcon is his favored animal shape.

He's also a tattoo artist, and enjoys discussing artwork, ink and the process with folks.

I like the druid class, but he's not a 'militant' druid by any stretch. Just someone in tune with nature, and aware of how the elements and the seasons can impact life. Simple is better, and he'll spread that message.

ArinTalis

Redid my equipment, because taking a penalty to stealth checks is terrible. I need my lovely mithril breastplate. :) That said, I desperately want to keep that earring of message, because that is a fantastic and valuable magic item that no one should leave home without. Seriously guys, that's just worth every single gold piece.

That said, Fiona's thoughts on the party members. (Subject to change if one of them is named as her Ward/Target she Bodyguards).

Kess: "Druids take everything I know, and go a few steps further holding a kind of bond with the wilderness I could only imagine. Handsome, wise, deadly, Kess is everything you'd expect. Until you find out he's also a historian and can put together a mean tattoo. I've seen his handiwork, it is truly impressive, although I'd likely never have him work on me. It's nothing against him, but personally, I have no real desire to put ink on my body. Beyond that... I have found myself staring at him a bit longer than I should. I have work to do. His elvish form is distracting. He needs to wear shirts more often. Yes, that's the nature of the problem. Shirts, that he needs to wear." She blushes, adjusting her stance. Further inquiry would get a response of "Shirts. He's distracting. We need to maintain discipline on the battlefield." She wouldn't say much else. It seems the knight is a bit internally conflicted about something.

Isabeau: "Deft with a pick, and many other things, the beauty can be a beast if you're on the wrong end of her blade. Her conduct is unbecoming, she is undoubtedly a thief before all else, though I've heard her comment that something 'belonged in a museum' rather than a rather toady man's collection. She has principles, and that is why I count her as a good friend. Every party needs a Beau, someone to be sneakier than the sneaks you'll be going up against, someone to fight trickery with trickery. I just ask that she give me as few details as possible when she goes to work, as it is much easier to lie about something if you honestly have no idea what happened."

Murasaki: "Wizards make me nervous. Murasaki does not. She doesn't run around messing with forces beyond her control, they're very much in her control, of which she can easily remind you. Although she has a tendency to fight for others in ways that could get us in trouble. There's no reason to be worried about her magic, it's her strong code of ethics that, ironically, is the greater danger. If there's one thing I've learned over the years, its that no good comes from fighting the lawful lord of a land, and Murasaki will humiliate one at the drop of a hat if she thinks they've deserved it. Not that a few of them hadn't deserved it, but there's a fine line between the law and our personal feelings. She forgets that. Though Baronet Kessler getting dunked in a vat of horse piss was absolutely glorious!" She giggles as she's reminded of it, stifling it after a moment. "Um... Right. We should avoid such acts. Though, I regret nothing. I confess, I enjoy her company most because she will do the things I am honor bound not to, she can say the things I will not and do what I will not. I would keep her company as long as she would have me."

Tamerlin: "Sorcerers worry me even more than wizards. Wizards, I can understand. For every hour I spend swinging my sword, they spend an hour studying. There is a simple equivalence of time and training, possibly more so for the wizard. But sorcerers just... make things happen. And they practice in the strangest ways. But she tries hard, and she is growing on me. We're not that close at this point, she's very guarded."

Elsibette: "Good things come in small packages. Elsibette is a joy to have in a difficult fight, and I can even appreciate the blessings of her deity. Although, I fear I enjoy the comforts of the city a bit too much to examine them too in depth. As a sidenote: she really needs to come with me to one of the formal balls the nobles hold, she'd be a real hit! Though, she doesn't seem too invested in the idea."

Telthor: "I will confess, I laughed when I first saw that odd weapon of his, the segmented staff with three sections. Who could possibly fight with such an implement? It turns out, Telthor can. And he can do so with some skill. I find him trustworthy and skillful, never to be underestimated. Unfortunately, Zara and Hemmingway despise each other, as is to be expected: a falcon and a snake will always be mortal enemies, though we can keep their hatreds in check as necessary. It concerns me that he is an extremely aggressive warrior. Too aggressive. He does not have the temperament for a cat-and-mouse environment, where the difference between predator and prey changes from moment to moment. Were it not for that, I would prefer to make every journey with him. For now though, we are allies of convenience"

National Acrobat

Fiona: 'Tough as nails, respects nature, and understands how nature and the races can interact. Respects the art I practice, but chooses not to partake, and I can respect that. She stands by her convictions but listens to reason. She gets underestimated regarding her ability to wield weapons and fight toe to toe with bad guys and that's actually entertaining to watch play out sometimes. There's a beautiful young lady under all that steel. A great friend to have on your side.'

Isabeau: 'More of a historian and pursuer of lore than I am, plus she's got some deceptively deft hands. She somehow finds her way into places that I swear were never meant to be entered. I thought I disliked clothes, but I've got nothing on her. Hers seem to somehow come off often. Not that I'm complaining. She's all work though when needed, and she's got a quick mind and cat like reflexes. She's the life of the party, no I'm serious, sometimes when we need a quick answer, she's the difference between life and death. Always positive, which if you're trying be moody and brooding, doesn't work all that well.'

Telthor: 'Focused. Perseverance. Has the aggressive hunter aspect of nature in him, and his companion. Not that I'm complaining, but sometimes a little restraint is good. Still, he is a deadly warrior, and a trustworthy ally. We may not always see eye to eye on how nature and it's hierarchy works, but that is of little importance. I trust him to have my back, and I have his. He despises evil like I do, and is a champion of good. Mostly focus to describe him however. He finds a path, and follows it to it's conclusion.'

Elsibette: 'Pragmatism and warmth come from her, even if she thinks I am weird, or that I'm trying to have nature run wild all over everything. She's a champion of those that cannot defend themselves and sticks up for those who cannot always speak for themselves. She reminds me constantly that as a group of friends, we're a community that moves together. She respects nature, and only takes what is needed, which I respect, and thank her for. I think of her as the conscience of the group, and the glue that keeps our 'community' together.

Tamerlin: 'Tamerlin is the one I have the hardest trouble relating to. I personally didn't have anything to with the way our more elitist and snobby elven brethren treated her, but since I am an elf, I bear some distrust. Still, I respect her, and trust her, and I envy her effortless ability to simply draw magic from her blood and wield it. I admire sorcerers for being able to tap into their inner self and bring forth magic. I don't see her as less of a person because of her mixed heritage, and I treat her like I treat everyone else, as a unique person. Hopefully we'll be able to grow as friends and comrades, and she'll trust me despite my elven-ness.'

Murasaki: 'Ah, Murasaki, the academic, and person who can ruin your day from a distance. She knows a lot of things, and a lot of it is mundane, but she always seems to know what we need to know, at the right time. Her moral stand against evil and undead mirrors mine, and she has my respect in regards to that. Smartest person I know. I am a mere dabbler in academic pursuits compared to her. She'd not always buried in her books like a lot of wizards, and is surprisingly not an introvert. Like Elsibette, she doesn't hesitate to stand up for those who cannot do so on their own. She's got a noble heart.'

'

Chulanowa

I've gotta chop a sheet together. Buuuut it was a 13-hour day at work. So.

Ghostwheel

Charsheet, background, and reactions have been completed and added to application.

Tagan

Kess

"Kess?"

Murasaki blushes.  "He's very handsome...." she shakes her head.  "Sorry! I mean, I was astonished at first, by... how much we have in common.  His love for art, especially tatoos, makes me excited for the lovely magic we might craft together later, his knowledge of the natural world and local history may even surpass my own in some areas... he's a delight to talk to.  He surprised me quite a bit with his analytical way of thinking, actually.  I am used to Druids being a bit more... quick to act upon emotion, but really, he's quite... logical!  Though you can tell he feels a great passion for ridding the world of the same sorts of evils I detest.  Really, he's quite a catch..."

Her eyes widen.  "I mean that he's a powerful ally, naturally!" she wanders off then, muttering to herself in disappointed tones, shaking her head.
-

Fiona

Murasaki purses her lips thoughtfully before speaking after a few seconds pause.  "Miss Smythe is a professional, and I find her quite... easy to work with.  Her range of experience leaves little doubt for me when I include her into an unexplained tactical manuever.  Her relationship with Hemingway is more fascinating to me.  I have so far neglected to chose a familiar for myself, but their teamwork has inspired me somewhat to examine that choice again."

She tilts her head slightly.  "Yes.  Highly competent... but a little... fatalistic perhaps?  Her attitude about her future worries me at times.  I hope she finds a better reason to fight than her Cavalier's duty."
-

'Beau'

"Isabuea?" Murasaki smiles wistfully, and shrugs.  "What can I say?  I like her, certainly! Hard not to, when we share so many interests."

She shakes her head slightly.  "I mean, she's really more of a dabbler than a true scholar, but she show so much enthusiasm in it, that it's sort of heartening."

She looks thoughtful, and ticks off points on her fingers.  "She's quite agile, of course... good with a lock or sudden trap, quick on her feet during an ambush too, which is always nice."

She shakes her head slightly.  "I might be worried that her curiosity will someday get us killed... but am I that much different in that respect?" she smiles again, wistfully.  "I DO like her.  I mean, she carries around her own bath tub!  That's... so Beau!"

Her interlocutor asks another quiet question. Murasaki blinks, as if uncertain how to respond.  "Some people aren't hindered by societies ridiculous 'rules' of decorum.  What does it matter if she's a nudist?  Good for her!"

She whispers as she turns away. 'braver than I am, anyway.'
-

Telthor

Murasaki shudders slightly, then glances around to be certain no one is in hearing range.  "Ugh.  Uh, why do you ask?"

She waits hopefully, but sighs when she sees an answer is wanted. 

She shudders again.  "He's... a bit... creepy.  And not because of Zara.  I like the snake.  It's the man I don't trust."

She shakes her head suddenly, and sighs.  "I'm sorry, that was untrue, and unfair.  I do... trust him, at least his integrity.  He does what he says he will do, and that makes him safe to work with.  And certainly, he is extremely competent!  Almost frighteningly so.  I can work with him professionally on the road, or in battle.  It's after the battle that his callous attitude sometimes... rubs me the wrong way."

She sighs.  "I know he's probably got a tragic past... but it's made him... dark.  Darker than I'm really comfortable with.  Just don't mention it too him, OK?  I don't ever want to meet him in a dark alley."
-

Elsibette

"Elsibette Taggle?" Murasaki immediately gives a warm smile.  "Beyond the cute exterior, is a heart and soul that resonates with my own.  I am not a particularly religious person, but Elsibette's way of presenting her faith resonates with me.  I love spending time with her, on or off the job.  Such a good hearted, open person, one I hope to know for many years to come.  A true friend."

She pauses thoughtfully.  "In battle, we have to coordinate carefully.  We both have many spells, and many tactics for using them, but I find with a little effort, our efforts almost always harmonize very well together.  A real pleasure to work with, and truly a vital member of the team.  Probably the first person I would go to, honestly, if I were having a problem I couldn't figure out on my own."

She smiles misceviously "And she's sexy... which never hurts."
-

Tamerlin

"Tamerlin?" Murasaki muses.  "I know she's a bit older than me, but sometimes I feel like an older sister too her.  Magic... failed her, hurt her.  That's not right.  She should have been sheltered and guided.  I want to give her that, though in many ways it's too late.  Still, I do my best."

She nods slowly.  "Yes... a bit of a wild card, as it were, but sweet underneath it.  An innocent still in some ways, while world weary in others.  I hope any kindness that I show her helps her feel more confident about herself... and less fearful."

Murasaki adds, "Oh in battle?  I know where I stand with her.  These days I always prepare the right spells to mesh with and compliment her.  Easy enough... and she's quite powerful in her limited way.  I hope to help her become more creative with her limited selection of powers,"
-

A note.  The sheet is nearly done... just need to tweak a tiny bit.

Additional note.  Both Fiona and Murasaki seem to have a bit of a crush on Kess.  :) that'll be interesting.

ArinTalis

Mister Ugly

Greaatt!! :o :o one comment about Beau liking to be nude and now she is a nudist. Next thing you know everyone will swear she dances naked on a table top after a few rounds of dwarf ale.

MU
Albert Einstein

Blinkin

After a few rounds of dwarven ale, I might dance naked on a table... lol
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Tagan

Quote from: Mister Ugly on June 17, 2016, 10:44:29 AM
Greaatt!! :o :o one comment about Beau liking to be nude and now she is a nudist. Next thing you know everyone will swear she dances naked on a table top after a few rounds of dwarf ale.

MU

Lol.  Murasaki wouldn't know.  She was answering the rumor that was going around. She would never have asked Beau about it. 

It's kind of amusing.  When I read Beau's description, I certainly didn't see why Blinkin suddenly mentioned that she liked running around in the altogether!  But suddenly it's a huge thing.  I had to read it twice to see it mentioned at all.

I thought it was an amazing example of the game 'telephone.'

National Acrobat

ArinTalis

Well, to be fair, Fiona is Bi, although she tends to swing more in favor of men. And so far, there's only one walking shirtless scene that she's likely to have encountered on a regular basis. ;)

National Acrobat

Kess really dislikes shirt and shoes, it's in his background!

He is a wood elf after all and a druid, so you know, nature and natural and all...

Plus it shows off his ink.

Blinkin

A note for everyone,  remember that at least this part of the game is in a cold environment and everyone should equip themselves appropriately.

I'm just about done with the selection process and should have the final list up either later today or tomorrow morning. At which time, character sheets (for those who didn't go ahead and do them) will be welcome. Some minor tweaks might be requested, but overall, as long as the math works, things should be good.

A quick note on Mythweavers... I can now read sheets on the site, although creating them is beyond me still. There are two areas in which I still have a little trouble and I'll ask everyone to help me out a little with it.

The site list all of the skills and I have to go through them one by one to see what skills are being chosen by players, so I will ask everyone to send me a list of active skills that they are selecting.

The Equipment section is totally incomprehensible to me still, so if everyone will send me a list of gear that they are carrying, that would be great. I don't need weights, but just a list and the cost of any items that have special materials or differ from the base price in some way. As noted before, if something isn't on the equipment list, you don't have it, so make sure that you have it listed before you try to employ it.

Another note on familiars and companions. I let the player control their animals, but I reserve the right to employ them as potential plot devices as needed. I've discovered that sometimes, it's just entertaining to let you learn something via your critters. ;)
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Mister Ugly

it will be later today before I can get a responce up for 'Beau' about the other characters

MU
Albert Einstein

Chulanowa

So, here's a question BLinkin.. .Could you houserule a spear as a one-handed weapon? 'Cause I just realized the damned thing is two-handed, preventing use with a shield.. .And.. .well, the entire breadth of military history makes that pure nonsense.

Ghostwheel

Quote from: Chulanowa on June 17, 2016, 03:03:39 PM
So, here's a question BLinkin.. .Could you houserule a spear as a one-handed weapon? 'Cause I just realized the damned thing is two-handed, preventing use with a shield.. .And.. .well, the entire breadth of military history makes that pure nonsense.

That's because they used a shortspear, which is a one-handed weapon, and thus is legal for using one-handed ;)

ArinTalis

Yeah, one of the things I really appreciate about 5e was that they made it a Versatile weapon (Can be wielded with one hand, or with a higher damage dice using two hands).

Ghostwheel

o.O That's still a thing in Pathfinder; when you wield a weapon two-handed, you add more of your strength to the damage, as opposed to one-handed.

Blinkin

From a quick look at Paiso forum's on the subject, the general agreement is that a spear can be used one-handed as a martial weapon, but you lose the 2-handed damage. GW also offered a solution in the form of a short spear, but again, you would lose the damage dice for 2-handed. On the plus size, you wouldn't have the issue of someone getting inside the arch of your weapon.

Historically, a spear was used in the 2nd or 3rd (Even the 4th) rank of a formation and didn't need a shield. But, as mentioned above, I'll allow one-handed use of a spear and a shield. If you use a regular length spear, you'll have to worry about getting inside your reach, a short spear, you have the reach, but less damage.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Mister Ugly

By the way, Ghostwheel I am curious, whom is carrying the big snake, Zara? It has been made clear we are in a very cold envioroment and that does not go well with a snake. All the ones I see listed are cold blooded. Now Isabeau will have a handy haversack but that allows only 80lbs max in the main area and being Zara is big enough for your character to ride...i figure that means Zara must be several hundred pounds at least.

MU
Albert Einstein

Ghostwheel

Who needs to carry the snake? Rules don't coincide with reality, and she gets the same Fortitude save as everyone else, and has a specially-made heavy "turtleneck" sweater just for her ;D

National Acrobat

I'll finish my sheet tonight since the power just came back on. I purchased a haversack for Kess as well.

Blinkin

Unfortunately, haversacks, like bags of holding, can't support a living creature; it only holds the amount of air equal to it's size, minus whatever is in it... so, you would suffocate in a few minutes.

I was greatly tempted to give everyone a handy haversack, but thought that it might be too much GP value for the level of character.

Remember your encumberance levels, I usually don't worry too much about weight, but if someone gets too crazy with it, I'll start being much more particular about it. No dwarves carrying 500 pounds of looted weapons, armor, coin and various nick-nacks, please. ;)
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Mister Ugly

Kess Van Ymir:
"I do wonder at times how he can walk around barefoot like he does. I mean when i try to walk barefoot over stones and stuff it hurts. Anyway druids are always a good friend to have. He does go on about his art at times and even has wanted to tattoo me. We are still discussing that!!. His ability to shape shift can be unnerving...come on have you ever seen anyone within seconds just change from an elf into a bird or a wolf...*shivers*...that aside his ability to scout and summon various creatures improves our ability to survive."

Fiona Smyth: "I still giggle when I think about Fiona looking at Telthor and asking what she should Tell Thor? The woman has a wicked sense of humor she needs to show more. Steadfast in the middle of a fight and willing to be the anvil I can hammer foes against. Fiona does need to loosen up. I keep telling her she needs a get roaring drunk and then get laid. She also can be too darn listless when deciding what to do. I may one of these days bop her on the back of her head and tell her to make the choice and not just follow along."

Telthor: "I swear I think it would hurt the man to smile. I checked once when he was asleep to be sure his face was not just frozen in place. Grim and dark seem to be his nature. Heck he wears black all the time. That snake of his is so huge I swear it could shallow me whole without blinking. All that being said do not get in his way when he decides you are in the wrong. Even his fists hurt people. And he wears a hat like me ...and no one I have ever met that wears a hat is all dark and grim all the time."

Elsibette Taggle: "A cute halfling never is a bad thing and Elsibette handles things really good. She has a great laugh and likes good things which is why she gets first dibs on the tub when I am done. I have known holy clerics that can be damn annoying Elsibette is not. In fact she makes religion cool and we have long discussions on the subject. Good in a  tussle and better when we need her magic afterwards."

Tamerlin Silverscar:' Tattoos! A lot of them. I gave up trying to figure them all out. We do get along though because her magic like my own comes to her ...it is just there without reading spell books and researching things. We may be more limited in the spells we have but we can choose which ones to use. At first me being part elf kinda threw her off but once in you can trust her to be there when needed. I do though have to at times remind her she can't beat them all by herself"

Murasaki: "Mura can wear on you at times. She may not mean too but someone as smart as she is can be a bit annoying. Luckily I have a lot of knowledge more then she thinks I do and a I grew up around those that were as smart or smarter then she is. Like Elisbette she really cares about the common people and I like that. Her magic is precise and to the point and though she at times makes those we need to work with look like fools. I still though do chuckle at the 'Baronet Kessler' getting dunked in a pile of horse manure. That was priceless especially when he stood up with the spitting the stuff from his mouth. *works hard to suppress a giggle*"

The group "I am not sure where but somewhere my companions have the idea that I take things. I was in a Thieves's guild at the age of 14. The guy that recruited me had dreamy eyes and rugged face and was older okay. I have never ever stolen anything from a party member and would never do so. Hell I barely remember the last time I tried to pick a pocket. I do have that well made set of tools I use on traps and doors and such so I guess I can see how they may think things...but come on...I am a member in the 'Society of the Archaeologists' King's Port Branch."
"I won't even go into this idea that has sprung up that I am a nudist...geez so I sun bath nude and like to sleep naked when it is safe to do so. What is wrong with that"

<MU>
Albert Einstein

Mister Ugly

Quote from: Blinkin on June 17, 2016, 04:30:59 PM
Unfortunately, haversacks, like bags of holding, can't support a living creature; it only holds the amount of air equal to it's size, minus whatever is in it... so, you would suffocate in a few minutes.

I was greatly tempted to give everyone a handy haversack, but thought that it might be too much GP value for the level of character.

Remember your encumberance levels, I usually don't worry too much about weight, but if someone gets too crazy with it, I'll start being much more particular about it. No dwarves carrying 500 pounds of looted weapons, armor, coin and various nick-nacks, please. ;)

I would be willing to give up 1000 of the gold you are giving us for a handy haversack. They are very useful to have even if they cant carry as much as a lvl 1  bag of holding. !!

MU
Albert Einstein

Blinkin

Unfortunately, the Haversack is 2K, so a thousand won't help you much and it's getting into that range of too much for the level. At 5th, starting gold is 10,500 gp. Automatic advancement cuts that in half, but you get that much and more in personal atunements. Several people have said that they like the magical item that I've given, so giving it up isn't on the table now.

You could reduce your armor a little and buy the haversack that way, you have 4,500 GP, plus a magic item at a discount. I'm really not comfortable giving much more coin and over-powering the group.

I will admit that most of the planned encounters aren't combat oriented, unless someone decides that a "Kill it!" mentality is the way to go... it's always a balancing act.

On a side note, one of my complaints about 5th is the difficulty of getting AC up. There's something wrong when you're 7th level and the best AC you can manage is 13. But then, if Grog's AC is 18 at 10th level... who can complain I guess.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Mister Ugly

Are you allowing alternate Racial Traits?
Also per the rules I have found a half elf can use human, elf or half elf favored class options. Is that okay with you? I ask cause half elf gives a Bardic Performance per favored class and a human gives an extra spell [lower then current highest spell level] both of these options are important for Isabeau's build.

MU
Albert Einstein

Grizzly

The young woman took her seat, smoothing the skirt of her dress beneath her as she did so.  "I heard that you wanted to speak with me?  What about?"

Kess

Tamerlin shifted noticeably in her seat as the Elfs name was mentioned.  "What do I think of Kess?  Why?  What have you heard?  If you're concerned about my being able to work with him, then don't be.  Sure he's handsome, I suppose, and some of the other ladies hearts flutter upon seeing him but you get used to attractive elves when you've grown up amongst their kind.  He's...not like the Elves that I remember though.  Less polished and more...earthy, if you'll forge the pun.  Less shoes and shirts, or so I've heard.  Jovial at times too.  And artistic.  Have you seen some of the tattoo designs that he does?  Some of them are quite intricate and beautiful."

She paused on the edge of a smile that quickly disappeared.  "You don't need to worry about us being able to work together.  It's fine.  I'm not going to stick a dagger in his back, he's a team mate.  It's just that he reminds me of..."  Her voice faded with a hint of hurt and Tamerlin looked away.

Fiona

"Fiona?" Tamerlins eyes lit up at the mention of the warrior woman's name.  "What do I think of her?  That's a silly question.  What's not to like about her?  She's strong, tough, a great fighter, definitely someone that I'd want watching my back.  She has that lovely dark hair and is just so beautiful and graceful.  And those dresses that she wears sometimes, it's like she stepped out of a bards song.  I get so jealous.  If only I could cut the same figure that she does in those..."

"Why are you looking at me like that?  It's not as if I'm in love with her.  I mean really, can you imagine?"  Tamerlin gave a dismissive wave of her hand as if the very thought was either ludicrous or perhaps a veiled truth.  "Besides, I'm pretty sure that she has eyes for someone else.  I just admire her, even with that odd sense of humor.  I think that I make her nervous too.  I'm not sure why.  Perhaps I haven't been as open with her as I could be, something that I'll have to work on I guess."

Isabeau

Tamerlin smiles.  "I like Isabeau.  She and I have a lot in common.  Her magic is like mine, natural and less studied.  We are both Elvenborn and raised by humans so there's that.  It's kind of strange sometimes because she keeps her ears covered up so you wouldn't know she's Elvish and she seems more human at those times.  Laughing and singing, and breaking into a quick dance so easily, it's easy to forget her heritage.  She's just Beau.  Then when she has her hat off and her ears show, and...well you know my history with Elves.  With Beau though...it's just not the same.  Maybe a little awkward at times but it's not like it is with Kess."

Tamerlins smile widened until it broke into a light laugh.  "And her haversack, have you seen the stuff that she pulls out of it?  I remember this one time that Beau and I were...<chuckle>...and then her shirt...no wait...I probably shouldn't tell that story.  Ah Beau."

Telthor

A serious expression fell over Tamerlins face as she thought about Telthor.  "Telthor.  He's an impressive man.  Tall, strong, and kind of intimidating.  I'm glad that he's on our side.  He's a good fighter, as good or better than Fiona maybe, but there's just something about him that makes me nervous.  It's the way that he looks at you.  There's a hardness in his eyes, the look of a man who has seen the worst of the world and become as accustomed to it as breathing.  I don't think that I've ever seen him smile.  Even the thought of him smiling seems just wrong somehow."

"He's a good man, a good team mate.  It's comforting to know that he's there to pull us out of trouble should it find us.  I just can't get over that look in his eyes.  He likes owls.  He can't be all bad if he likes owls, right?"

Elsibette

"Elsi?  I think that if there was anyone in our little group that could lay claim to being the most grounded, it's Elsibette."  Tamerlin nodded her head slowly and fondly put her thoughts in order about the Halfling.  "She's adventurous and caring and good for a laugh.  She's pretty scrappy for someone so small, you have to see it.  Each of us have got our own little quirks and I think that Elsi helps to keep us together.  And maybe out of trouble.  She also has the most amazing green eyes that I've ever seen.

"Now that I think about it, I owe her a drink.  Elsi may not look it but that girl knows her way around a good meal and flagon of ale.  It's always a pleasure paying up those kinds of debts to her."

Murasaki

"Murasaki."  Tamerlin let the younger womans name roll around her tongue for a moment before continuing.  "It's kind of hard to describe Murasaki.  No one can debate how intelligent she is, and she's very good with magic.  Better than I am, I hate to admit, even though our magic stems from different sources.  It is nice to have someone else to talk to about the Arcane.  Sometimes when we are talking, it's like she's a wiser, older sister, which is funny considering that she's younger than I am.  I do worry sometimes that she'll think that I'm just a talented amateur. 

"One thing that we do not have in common is sense of clothing."  Tamerlin gave a small laugh.  "I think that she believes that those wrappings that she likes to wear make her less noticeable but they cling so tightly to her that you can't help but notice her womanly curves.  I think that the guys have, well maybe Kess.  Some of those looks that she gives him when he's not paying attention are pretty telling, so maybe she's trying to catch his eye.  I probably shouldn't have said that.  You didn't hear that from me.  That doesn't explain those weird poses that she likes to do. I can't help but wonder if that's part of her magic too."

This was a fun little exercise.  I enjoyed reading over everyones posts and seeing the little stories begin to develop.  :)

I'm still working out a few last minute details on the Character Sheet but here is what I have so far.

Blinkin

I am allowing alternate racial traits, as long as the source is Pathfinder.

"Elf Blood: Half-elves count as both elves and humans for any effect related to race."

It's a bit vague; I always thought that it refered to feats and traits, but I could see where it might include favored class options. The problem here is that the half-elf has a favored class option specifically for it, so I would have to rule that the Elf Blood would not apply there. I would also point out that you have 4 levels in bard, so that's just +4 rounds of Bardic Performance per day. Your level in Rogue would have to be taken from the Rogue favored class option.

Hope that helps.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Mister Ugly

Quote from: Blinkin on June 17, 2016, 08:39:31 PM
I am allowing alternate racial traits, as long as the source is Pathfinder.

"Elf Blood: Half-elves count as both elves and humans for any effect related to race."

It's a bit vague; I always thought that it refered to feats and traits, but I could see where it might include favored class options. The problem here is that the half-elf has a favored class option specifically for it, so I would have to rule that the Elf Blood would not apply there. I would also point out that you have 4 levels in bard, so that's just +4 rounds of Bardic Performance per day. Your level in Rogue would have to be taken from the Rogue favored class option.

Hope that helps.

The referance I was using comes from here http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/half-elf a side bar down where the favored class options are listed.
So would Human blood apply?
Currently I have favored class options as follows; rogue- 1 hp, bard- 2 Bardic Performances, one 1st level spells [human], 1 hp.

Extra spells would be more important then extra bardic performances. So given a choice I would prefer the human favored class options.

MU
Albert Einstein

Ghostwheel

They actually FAQ'ed this up:

"Yes. Half-elves and half-orcs may select racial favored class options, archetypes, traits, and so on, as if they were a full member of both races (a half-elf can select elf and human rules elements, a half-orc can select human and orc rules elements)."

So by the Pathfinder rules, yes, you would be allowed to choose either of the favored class racial options, and switch between them at your discretion. Of course, if Blinkin decides to house rule it, that would be a different matter altogether.

Blinkin

Ok, as promised, here is the list of players and characters who have gotten the 5 slots. I wish that I could take all of you as all of the character concepts were both interesting and intriguing in regards to the game that I'm planning. But, I can only handle so much and I'm afraid that 7 would simply be too many for me to challenge and accomidate.

Having said that, if anyone wants, I'll keep you in mind if there is a drop and would be happy to offer the empty slot to you. Again, this was a difficult decision and I apologize to the two who didn't make it.

And, without further ado...

Arintalis, playing Fiona Smythe

No party can survive without a front line fighter and as the really only tank offered... The Character also has a certain charm and attitude that'll fit the story well.

Chulanowa, playing Esibette Taggle

This was one of the more difficult decisions, but ultimately it was the simple versatility of the character and class that won the day.

Ghostwheel, playing Telthor

Not to put too finer a point on it, the party needed someone who might be quite so light and easy-going to balance out the others. A little more of a wildcard to keep everyone on their toes and things interesting was just too much to resist.

Mr. Ugly, playing Isabeou Hardens

This was perhaps the easiest decision among the bunch. The party will need someone who's a skill monkey and the face of the party; a role perfect for a bard and rogue all in one package.... and there's that nudist thing ;)

Tagan, playing Murasaki

This was the most difficult decision of the selection process, but ultimately, the versatility of the class and the character concept won out. It's pretty much that simple.

I want to thank National Acrobat and Grizzly for their submissions and interest in my game. As mentioned, if someone drops, I would be happy to keep your characters in mind and offer the slot to either of you. This was a very difficult selection process for me and I'm glad that there weren't more to choose from.

For the players who are now in the game, I'll create an OOC thread tomorrow, but please restrain from posting before everyone has posted their character sheets, both the initial concept and a link to your character. Once that's done, feel free to chatter away. In a few days, once characters are set, I'll open an IC thread. If there are sexy times, I'll open a side thread for that so that we don't lose pacing in the main thread. As a reminder, I would love to see more than 1 post a week, preferably at least 2 every 10 days and a post every 3 days during an encounter.

Thanks to everyone again for your interest.

On Favored Class options for half-elves. I stand corrected by GW. A Half-elf can select one of the 3 options per level of favored class taken, but only 1 of the three at each level.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Grizzly

Have fun, folks.  :)

Keep me in mind should someone drop.

Mister Ugly

can we have a mule? i do not mind paying for it if someone gets a pack saddle...lots of things we can put on it.
I am also considering getting Beau a guard dog almost as good as an alarm spell.

MU
Albert Einstein

Tagan

Murasaki tends to cast Mount, rather than keep an animal herself.  But she'd share upkeep of a mule.

Ghostwheel

Zara has saddlebags, and a maximum weight capacity of 1.6k lbs, if that helps. If we're starting in a cold environment, not sure that the mule has the fort save or the HP to survive such a place easily.

Blinkin

I would add that you'll have to buy and carry food for the animal(s) as hunting may be scarce, and some animals are not suited for heavy snow or the cold without protection.

I might suggest that if you're carrying that much weight... meaning enough that you think that you need a pack-animal, that you may want to reconsider your equipment.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Blinkin

Well, it looks like a post didn't get through. In regards to favored class options, GW's answer corrected mine, if this has been answered by Piaso, then that's the answer as I have no real reason for not going that route. She can take any of the 3 favored class options that a half-elf allows..
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Blinkin

The OOC and Character Sheet threads have been put up.

The Character Sheet thread is Here

Please copy your profile, To the Background section, and put it, with your current character sheet, there. I'm still going over character sheets, and I may have questions, but I'll address them in PM.

The OOC thread can be found Here. Feel free to post and say hello. As soon as the characters are finalized and approved, we'll start play.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Chulanowa

Quote from: Ghostwheel on June 17, 2016, 08:59:21 PM
They actually FAQ'ed this up:

"Yes. Half-elves and half-orcs may select racial favored class options, archetypes, traits, and so on, as if they were a full member of both races (a half-elf can select elf and human rules elements, a half-orc can select human and orc rules elements)."

So by the Pathfinder rules, yes, you would be allowed to choose either of the favored class racial options, and switch between them at your discretion. Of course, if Blinkin decides to house rule it, that would be a different matter altogether.

S'why one of my favorite builds is a half-elf Unchained rogue with the Eldritch Scoundrel archetype from Arcane Anthology. Trade a racial trait for elvish weapon proficiency for an elven curve blade, take the human favored class option, and suddenly you're a dex-based two-handed fighting sneak attacking wizard who still gets a fair number of Talents.

I gotta find somewhere to play that thing, see how it turns out.

And glad to be aboard, BLinkin