Star Wars... Post Jedi Purge/Pre-Rebellion RP (preferably FEMALE MECHANIC WANTED

Started by MaiMizzu, May 03, 2014, 07:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheLostCastor

I dropped you a PM Mai, you have me interested. Thank you for consideration. :)

apygoos

Batman4560

Yeah I am curious about what kind of characters we are going to be allowed to play and what characters we cannot?

MaiMizzu

Quote from: Batman4560 on May 04, 2014, 09:53:51 PM
Yeah I am curious about what kind of characters we are going to be allowed to play and what characters we cannot?
'Kind of characters'... um.. well my thought is that.. well this is a crew in need of work. So as long as your char listens to the captain and doesn't cause to much trouble, it shouldnt be an issue. As for species.. sky's the limit. If it's in the SW universe, you can play it. But be reasonable, okay? No.. Vong or anything dumb like that. Your character can be an asshole, as long as he/she does his job. As for what job you have.. think of it this way. When the captain hires you to be on the crew, he's going to hire you for a certain skillset. Not because you're pretty. ... okay MAYbe because you're pretty, but that's rare. So if you can be co-pilot, the captain will probably want you in. If you're a mechanic, you're in. If you're good in a fight or tracking, maybe you're in. But keep in mind.. well the captain won't need 2 mechanics (as an example). Does this make sense?
The definition of a hero, at least in my mind, is someone who can protect what is right. To change and stop the wrong. To fight against the forces that seek to destroy you. And, at the very least ... live life well, and enjoy it with those you love.

ManofDawnLight

Could we have a total of how many are interested in the game now?  You said 4-6 crew member with rotating crews.  Have you met your quota?
Short stories for now.  Light posts.

I am returning slowly.

apygoos

Quote from: Batman4560 on May 04, 2014, 09:53:51 PM
well the only thing thats off the table is a Jedi. As we assemble the crew for this tale, as Ash said from the get-go, this is intended to be a LONG term RP, so a character that bring..well character. What I have envisioned by the captain thus far is he is a man that appears to be of about 27ish years old with a past he doesn't like to discuss. He claimed to serve in the Republic armed forces before the Clones were implemented, and after that worked on the global security force on Courscant until the rise of the Galactic Empire. then he hijacked a ship and has been working as a smuggler ever since
Quote from: ManofDawnLight on May 04, 2014, 10:05:10 PM
Could we have a total of how many are interested in the game now?  You said 4-6 crew member with rotating crews.  Have you met your quota?
"rotating" crew serves to say if for some reason you need to drop out of the RP, you would be able to be replaced, hopefully with proper actions in the story. Hopefully no one will need to be replaced at all. once we put together a character sheet of sorts to work on, perhaps if you can entice us, we might, or might not, raise our hunt number from 6 to 8. mostly because most of you here seem really excited and pumped up about the idea, the kind of ambition we're looking for. It's going to be a small, family like RP, set for a smuggler and his crew sticking it to the empire, with a sandbox feel on day to day life. There will be action of course, but, this will be about the relationship between this crew.

MaiMizzu

The definition of a hero, at least in my mind, is someone who can protect what is right. To change and stop the wrong. To fight against the forces that seek to destroy you. And, at the very least ... live life well, and enjoy it with those you love.

Florence

Quote from: MaiMizzu on May 04, 2014, 10:03:53 PM
'Kind of characters'... um.. well my thought is that.. well this is a crew in need of work. So as long as your char listens to the captain and doesn't cause to much trouble, it shouldnt be an issue. As for species.. sky's the limit. If it's in the SW universe, you can play it. But be reasonable, okay? No.. Vong or anything dumb like that. Your character can be an asshole, as long as he/she does his job. As for what job you have.. think of it this way. When the captain hires you to be on the crew, he's going to hire you for a certain skillset. Not because you're pretty. ... okay MAYbe because you're pretty, but that's rare. So if you can be co-pilot, the captain will probably want you in. If you're a mechanic, you're in. If you're good in a fight or tracking, maybe you're in. But keep in mind.. well the captain won't need 2 mechanics (as an example). Does this make sense?

I'm gonna be a Hutt Mandalorian :B

... no, but seriously... Nealla was human, so... actually that doesn't mean crap. Adoption is completely legitimate among Mandalorians, so... theoretically, her bloodline could be like... 100% Rodian and still be considered a direct descendant of Nealla as far as Mandalorian culture is concerned xD

Honestly though... she'll probably be at least part human. I might have her be part of a near-human race... maybe part Kiffar, or Ubese.

We should definitely have an "Inara" type character being a Zeltron :D

... or a Twi'lek, I suppose, but dem Zeltron ladies :D
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Green Goo Theory

Is it just jedi or should all force users be on the ban list?  'cause there are more than just Jedi and sith available at this point in the timeline.  kind of ruins the presence of the jedi if there's other force users on board.  Or at least trained force users.
Coming soon...

vin26m

Batman4560

Cool, cool. Hmmm I think I will play a Bounty Hunter who does alot of slicing. If that would be o.k.?

Florence

Quote from: Tonberryshuffle on May 04, 2014, 10:36:12 PM
Is it just jedi or should all force users be on the ban list?  'cause there are more than just Jedi and sith available at this point in the timeline.  kind of ruins the presence of the jedi if there's other force users on board.  Or at least trained force users.

Its worth nothing that Jedi weren't the only targets of the Empire's Inquisition. Any force users who weren't subservient to the empire were either MADE subservient or killed.

That said, I'm curious if we could have untrained force sensitives on the crew, perhaps the Jedi could eventually train them.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

apygoos

Quote from: Tonberryshuffle on May 04, 2014, 10:36:12 PM
damn it stop trying to tilt my hand! When it comes to the force, there is something about the captain in that department, but i don't want to say too much or it will be ruined from being found out through RP.
Quote from: Batman4560 on May 04, 2014, 10:43:59 PM
Cool, cool. Hmmm I think I will play a Bounty Hunter who does alot of slicing. If that would be o.k.?
bounty hunter is possible, but of course make sure you explore all options you may have that you think may be fun for you. like said before, this is a long term RP, pick osmething youll hang in long term for
Quote from: vin26m on May 04, 2014, 10:37:36 PM
Are the captain and the Jedi going to be a couple?
that will be determined through RP.

Batman4560

Yeah I as thinking something along the lines of basing him on a cross of Mission and Canderous.

Florence

Quote from: apygoos on May 04, 2014, 10:54:21 PM
that will be determined through RP.

I vote on a love triangle. Or. Squiggle.

Everyone in the ship competing over the Jedi. xD

Quote from: apygoos on May 04, 2014, 10:54:21 PM
damn it stop trying to tilt my hand! When it comes to the force, there is something about the captain in that department, but i don't want to say too much or it will be ruined from being found out through RP

If you really didn't want to ruin it, you could have just said yes or no :P

Is there an ETA on when we'll get character sheets to fill out, I'm brimming with ideas for my Mandalorian.

MaiMizzu

Quote from: Florence on May 04, 2014, 11:13:38 PM
Everyone in the ship competing over the Jedi. xD

I know you're just joking, but I want to make it clear.

I'm playing the Jedi. And though this was partly my idea, I don't want this to be about the Jedi. I mean she'll have her own story, but she won't be the star of the show. Our unfolding story will be about this small crew of misfits trying to survive in the darkness. It's how they interact with one another, their feelings towards one another, their feelings towards the changing galaxy around them.. it's about their survival as a whole. They are all parts of this symphony we are putting together. Which reminds me of an old Bebop promo that kind of helped put me into the mood for this thing.

"4 cowboys, 4 bounty hunters, 4 hearts 4 notes
Following a dusty trail of money, sin and desperation
Living day to day, dreaming hour to hour
4 beats, 4 parts of a movement
Mars to Venus, Callisto to Ganymede
Bounty to bounty and outlaw to outlaw
1 ship, 1 crew, 1 destiny"

I think that mirrors my intentions for this RP pretty well. The hunted Jedi will just be one piece. But we are all the puzzle. We may get hired to help out a small colony against some assclowns, we may smuggle goods for crime bosses.. whatever we have to in order to make it to the next day, to the next payment.

Florence

Quote from: MaiMizzu on May 04, 2014, 11:27:15 PM
I know you're just joking, but I want to make it clear.

I'm playing the Jedi. And though this was partly my idea, I don't want this to be about the Jedi. I mean she'll have her own story, but she won't be the star of the show. Our unfolding story will be about this small crew of misfits trying to survive in the darkness. It's how they interact with one another, their feelings towards one another, their feelings towards the changing galaxy around them.. it's about their survival as a whole. They are all parts of this symphony we are putting together. Which reminds me of an old Bebop promo that kind of helped put me into the mood for this thing.

"4 cowboys, 4 bounty hunters, 4 hearts 4 notes
Following a dusty trail of money, sin and desperation
Living day to day, dreaming hour to hour
4 beats, 4 parts of a movement
Mars to Venus, Callisto to Ganymede
Bounty to bounty and outlaw to outlaw
1 ship, 1 crew, 1 destiny"

I think that mirrors my intentions for this RP pretty well. The hunted Jedi will just be one piece. But we are all the puzzle. We may get hired to help out a small colony against some assclowns, we may smuggle goods for crime bosses.. whatever we have to in order to make it to the next day, to the next payment.

I'm liking how this rp sounds so far. Star Wars meets Firefly meets Bebop... This rp is starting to sound like what we all hope Rebels will be like, but terribly fear it won't.

Also, my Mandalorian is totally better than Sabine :C At least based on what they've revealed of her so far. Stupid pink-armored graffiti-punk :C

(Just watch, Rebels comes out and Sabine turns out to be my favorite character.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBgp5aDH23g

I feel like that song would fit.

Batman4560

JamesSureWould

Hmm, this seems like fun.
Okay, so three (very rough) ideas
* a slacker pilot/co pilot. He's great at flying (maybe even went to a republic flight school a few years back), but good luck waking him up to do his job. Joined up with the crew after the repuvlic became the empire. Well, there was some time inbetween, but what happenes in hut space stays in hutt space
* a bookish mechanic. His father and mother worked at a university on the outer rim, so he learned a great deal about everything he could. But, with the collapse of the republix, his family fell about shortly after the university.
* a non force user with a lightsaber. Yes, it's kinda silly and cheesey, but it's a character I've had bouncing around in my head for awhile. Basically, someone with little to no force sensitivity decides they want to try and be like the jedi. So they train constantly in order to use the one weapon of the jedi that doesnt require the force; the lightsaber. They'd also try to follow the jedi code of honor as best as they could.

Please, comment and critique

ManofDawnLight

Is there a character sheet in the works?  I'd like to pm my character idea formally.
Short stories for now.  Light posts.

I am returning slowly.

Florence

Quote from: JamesSureWould on May 05, 2014, 01:02:22 AM
Hmm, this seems like fun.
Okay, so three (very rough) ideas
* a slacker pilot/co pilot. He's great at flying (maybe even went to a republic flight school a few years back), but good luck waking him up to do his job. Joined up with the crew after the repuvlic became the empire. Well, there was some time inbetween, but what happenes in hut space stays in hutt space
* a bookish mechanic. His father and mother worked at a university on the outer rim, so he learned a great deal about everything he could. But, with the collapse of the republix, his family fell about shortly after the university.
* a non force user with a lightsaber. Yes, it's kinda silly and cheesey, but it's a character I've had bouncing around in my head for awhile. Basically, someone with little to no force sensitivity decides they want to try and be like the jedi. So they train constantly in order to use the one weapon of the jedi that doesnt require the force; the lightsaber. They'd also try to follow the jedi code of honor as best as they could.

Please, comment and critique

I should point out that while use of the lightsaber doesn't require the force, deflecting blaster bolts with it pretty much does. I mean, you can luck out and deflect one by chance, but a Jedi uses the force to sense the blaster bolts coming, and react quickly enough to deflect them. Someone without the force can really only flail wildly and try to get lucky.

Also, lightsabers do require extensive training, far more than vibroblades, as the weight is entirely in the hilt. That means that it can be incredibly difficult to 'feel' where the blade is, which can mean life or death in the heat of battle. You have to be able to focus on your enemy, not be staring at your weapon to make sure you know where its pointed.

A big part of sword-fighting comes from feeling the weight of the blade and knowing where it is so you can easily coordinate your attacks and parries.

That said, its not impossible to use one effectively. Just look at how much ass Pre Visla kicks with his saber. Though, of course, he is a Mandalorian. :3

apygoos

Quote from: ManofDawnLight on May 05, 2014, 01:14:19 AM
Is there a character sheet in the works?  I'd like to pm my character idea formally.
Ash went to bed a while ago. sheets wont be coming till tomorrow earliest.
To clarify, I'm not a GM here, as I have obligations in many other Games[Marvel Liberation (GM), Gotham Origins [the only other hero in the game right now], Classic Xmen, Marvel ANB, and HAF and it would be irresponsible for me to say "ill run this game". The idea for the game started as my thought, and Ash and I talked about it over the course of a week, now here we are
The more I think about him, the more my captain pilot is coming together in my head, he will be quite fun, and faceclaimed by Bradley Cooper.

MaiMizzu

Yeah please allow me to add a lil something to the lightsaber conversation. When I first started RP'ing, I played with one of the best Jedi RP'ers ever. And eventually he asked me to help build a site for guidelines to Jedi RP. And I was tasked with helping to write the pages for lightsabers. ANYwho...
Anyone can use a lightsaber. It's not a matter of being Force sensitive or anything. Anyone can use a lightsaber, but only Jedi can use it well. As stated, the blade has no mass. The center of gravity is in the hilt, which makes it awkward. It's hard to tell where the blade is by the 'feel' of the handle. So most that try to use one in combat end up lopping off one of their own arms or other limbs.

Im gonna go see Spidey now, but when I get back we'll cobble together an application for you guys. Note I said application, not CS. We're only looking for 4-6 more people (at this moment, could change). So not everyone will get in. As stated, we want this to be long term. This is going to be the journey of their lives, not just an episode or so. I'l have you PM me your application and we'll make decisions then. If you're not chosen..  please do not feel bad. We want this RP to be special for everyone, not just a random RP you joined that week. Takun Apygoos is the captain, so he'll have input in this. So please be patient. Oh, and it's not gonna be a matter of who turns in an Application first. It won't be first come first serve. So don't feel the need to rush. You can't do your best if you're feeling rushed, okay?

See ya'll later!
~Ash

Florence

Quote from: MaiMizzu on May 05, 2014, 09:18:04 AM
Yeah please allow me to add a lil something to the lightsaber conversation. When I first started RP'ing, I played with one of the best Jedi RP'ers ever. And eventually he asked me to help build a site for guidelines to Jedi RP. And I was tasked with helping to write the pages for lightsabers. ANYwho...
Anyone can use a lightsaber. It's not a matter of being Force sensitive or anything. Anyone can use a lightsaber, but only Jedi can use it well. As stated, the blade has no mass. The center of gravity is in the hilt, which makes it awkward. It's hard to tell where the blade is by the 'feel' of the handle. So most that try to use one in combat end up lopping off one of their own arms or other limbs.

Im gonna go see Spidey now, but when I get back we'll cobble together an application for you guys. Note I said application, not CS. We're only looking for 4-6 more people (at this moment, could change). So not everyone will get in. As stated, we want this to be long term. This is going to be the journey of their lives, not just an episode or so. I'l have you PM me your application and we'll make decisions then. If you're not chosen..  please do not feel bad. We want this RP to be special for everyone, not just a random RP you joined that week. Takun Apygoos is the captain, so he'll have input in this. So please be patient. Oh, and it's not gonna be a matter of who turns in an Application first. It won't be first come first serve. So don't feel the need to rush. You can't do your best if you're feeling rushed, okay?

See ya'll later!
~Ash

Slight addendum I feel I should point out: TECHNICALLY, non-force users have, in the canon, used lightsabers to a degree I would classify as 'well', but they were definitely atypical cases. The two most prominent I'm aware of are Grievous, who was aided by the fact that he was basically entirely cybernetics, and had various enhancements that made him deadly with his lightsabers without requiring the force. Someone with his level of cybernetic replacements is extremely rare, however, and it was considered extreme by... basically everyone else in the Star Wars universe. I don't think even Darth Vader's level of cybernetics came close to rivaling Grievous'.

The other was Pre Visla, who was an elite Mandalorian with presumably a lifetime of combat training. One can only assume he trained night and day to because as proficient with the lightsaber as he did, and even then, if you really watch him... while he was certainly GOOD, he was not much more deadly with it than he could have been if he'd just stuck with a vibroblade for instance.

I swear I'm not trying to be... ya know... that one Star Wars nerd who points out all the random obscure Star Wars facts xD And again, I'm not disagreeing with you, just pointing out that exceptions to the rule DO exist. That said... I'd have to be personally against player characters in this being among those exceptions. And, ICly, if my character is accepted, she'd probably slap a non-Jedi trying to use a lightsaber, "While you're playing around, trying not to lop your own leg off with that damn thing, you could be mastering a weapon you'd actually be good at."

Personally, I think unless you're setting something during the Old Republic era, or during the New Republic, a story or rp typically feels more true to the Star Wars 'feel' if lightsabers remain rare. In the Dark Times and Rebellion eras, I feel like a lightsaber should be something that when another character sees it, its a 'holy shit, you're a JEDI!?' moment xD

apygoos

Quote from: Florence on May 05, 2014, 10:09:33 AM
Slight addendum I feel I should point out: TECHNICALLY, non-force users have, in the canon, used lightsabers to a degree I would classify as 'well', but they were definitely atypical cases. The two most prominent I'm aware of are Grievous, who was aided by the fact that he was basically entirely cybernetics, and had various enhancements that made him deadly with his lightsabers without requiring the force. Someone with his level of cybernetic replacements is extremely rare, however, and it was considered extreme by... basically everyone else in the Star Wars universe. I don't think even Darth Vader's level of cybernetics came close to rivaling Grievous'.

The other was Pre Visla, who was an elite Mandalorian with presumably a lifetime of combat training. One can only assume he trained night and day to because as proficient with the lightsaber as he did, and even then, if you really watch him... while he was certainly GOOD, he was not much more deadly with it than he could have been if he'd just stuck with a vibroblade for instance.

I swear I'm not trying to be... ya know... that one Star Wars nerd who points out all the random obscure Star Wars facts xD And again, I'm not disagreeing with you, just pointing out that exceptions to the rule DO exist. That said... I'd have to be personally against player characters in this being among those exceptions. And, ICly, if my character is accepted, she'd probably slap a non-Jedi trying to use a lightsaber, "While you're playing around, trying not to lop your own leg off with that damn thing, you could be mastering a weapon you'd actually be good at."

Personally, I think unless you're setting something during the Old Republic era, or during the New Republic, a story or rp typically feels more true to the Star Wars 'feel' if lightsabers remain rare. In the Dark Times and Rebellion eras, I feel like a lightsaber should be something that when another character sees it, its a 'holy shit, you're a JEDI!?' moment xD
a Lightsaber is also a good way to get a fuckton of unwanted attention to you. When the Jedi were wiped out, the knowledge of how to make one went with them. Good luck getting to Illum for a crystal anyway. You're generally right though. pulling out a lightsaber should have a real oh shit moment in this game.