You will be judged on what you can build, not what you can destroy.

Started by Vekseid, January 20, 2009, 03:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

Text of Obama's inauguration speech.

Obviously at least one line stood out to me. I'm sure others here have plenty of opinions : )

WyldRanger

The part that has always stuck me is that he realizes that he has a lot of work to do, and it won't be easy.

With that said, he knows that not only MUST it be done, improvements WILL be done, and that optimistic nature is wonderful to see in a politician of any stature-let alone the President of the United States.

In other words, I share his optimism :)

RubySlippers

Charge up the debt clock we are going to see that baby skyrocket!

Zeitgeist

And let's keep in context wherein that statement was made.

To those leaders around the globe who seek to sow conflict, or blame their society's ills on the West — know that your people will judge you on what you can build, not what you destroy.

He was clearly speaking to the Venezuelas, Irans and North Koreas of of the world, among others.

It was an outstanding speech.

Zakharra

Quote from: Zamdrist on January 20, 2009, 05:48:03 PM
And let's keep in context wherein that statement was made.

To those leaders around the globe who seek to sow conflict, or blame their society's ills on the West — know that your people will judge you on what you can build, not what you destroy.

He was clearly speaking to the Venezuelas, Irans and North Koreas of of the world, among others.

It was an outstanding speech.

I'd also add the leader of Zimbabwe and such organizations as Al-Quda and Hamas to that list.

PhantomPistoleer

I thought the speech was so-so.

I thought the poem was HORRIBLE.  I think that any poem that mentions lettuce is awful.  Well, only if it's glacier lettuce.

I also thought that everyone was cringing inside when that white pastor had an orgasm when he was invoking Jesus.  Way to be sensitive about religion, doofus.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Inkidu

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Vekseid

Quote from: Zakharra on January 20, 2009, 08:44:40 PM
I'd also add the leader of Zimbabwe and such organizations as Al-Quda and Hamas to that list.

Mugabe is just an idiot. They've chopped thirteen zeroes off of their currency so far and are just now releasing a one hundred trillion dollar note in this new currency. It's not really an appropriate comparison >_>

Trieste

I enjoyed the speech, although Urd's comment in IRC that Yoda was giving the benediction had me in stitches. Oh my god.

I liked the poem. I thought it was crappily read, though.

I expected Aretha's bow to chew through her ear halfway through the singing or something.