The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainNexus616

I think the deal with Zola was not that he grew disillusioned with Hydra but he was more disturbed how extreme Red Skull was growing. It was getting to the point Skull was killing his subordinates off.

With Skull gone it gave him and others he still trusted to rebuild Hydra in their own image. He only sqeaueld in the first movie because he felt his life threatened by Red Skull.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on March 01, 2015, 02:13:38 PM
I think the deal with Zola was not that he grew disillusioned with Hydra but he was more disturbed how extreme Red Skull was growing. It was getting to the point Skull was killing his subordinates off.

With Skull gone it gave him and others he still trusted to rebuild Hydra in their own image. He only sqeaueld in the first movie because he felt his life threatened by Red Skull.

That was the other crap about Hydra that pissed me off. They were so dissimilar to those of their predecessors who revered Schmidt as a god and would gladly kill themselves before squealing or being taken alive at all (hence my complaint about Zola who did not have that level of zealotry). No effort seemed to have been put forth to preserve that old Hydra spirit nor to locating or bringing back the Red Skull or even making a clone or anything of that sort (surely he left some sperm samples behind to create offspring?) They could have made Rumlow be the Red Skull's son, a test-tube baby with maybe 1/2 the level of Cap's strength. That would have worked perfectly with giving Falcon his powers, maybe have them both be around the same level of super-soldier strength but to control the harness, Falcon has some work done on his brain that has the side-effect of communication with and control over birds, and possible limited flight without the harness or some very minor telekinesis (if focused on himself). That would have made the final fight between him and Rumlow actually worth a damn. And made it more like Hydra really was very close to its original roots instead of this pussy-whipped version of itself with no loyalty (Sitwell squealed his brains out, what does that tell you about his sense of self-preservation compared to the guy Cap caught after the chase in the first movie?) or devotion to higher powers.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Deamonbane

Small change of subject but... I think we have had two possible introductions to the Joker in the last two episodes of Gotham.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Mathim

There's no such thing as a change of subject in here, so long as it pertains to superhero media.

That reminds me-I saw some crap about Red Hood in the youtube commercials I've glimpsed. Was there another Red Hood before Jason Todd or was he the first? Because if so then that doesn't make sense because he wouldn't have existed prior to Bruce Wayne becoming Batman and bringing in Jason Todd as the second Robin. This sort of thing is just one of the many reasons I did not want to give Gotham a chance and still see no reason to.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CaptainNexus616

Well Mathim the Joker was actually the original Red Hood. In the comics Joker was originally a failed comedian whom was struggling for money. A gang of criminals recruited him to pull of a heist so he could support his wife. He was hesitant over this at the risk of being discovered so they gave him a disguise and called him the Red Hood. His wife died before they pulled the job off and he didn't back out only because the others egged him to still do it They were planning to rob...I think it was the Chemical Plant when Batman arrived to stop them. Of course Batman shows up and in the chaos Red Hood falls into a tank of acid/chemicals and volia the Joker is born!
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

TheGlyphstone

Red Hood existed before Jason Todd - first appearance in Detective Comics #158, apparently; it was the original identity of the Joker. Jason was the second Red Hood.

http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/Red_Hood

Deamonbane

There's one boy that looked like the Joker, with a similar grin and laugh, but since the Joker's origins are the Red Hood, and at the end of the episode there is someone picking the Red Hood up... well, It just seemed to be two possible intros for the Joker...
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Mathim

It's just annoying that so many of them aren't even what they are without Batman. Doing a show about Batman without Batman was just...I can't be okay with this, no matter how good it may be.

Mathim

Quote from: RedPhoenix on March 01, 2015, 10:49:20 PM
My favorite candidate for the Joker was introduced ages ago. He's the stand up comic that keeps getting booed off stage.

Wouldn't that be counter-intuitive, though? I mean, yeah, it sounds kinda like him, but...for an actor, at least, not the best circumstances.

TheGlyphstone

I don't watch Gotham, but I do like how they keep playing with different possible Jokers, as opposed to the 'Kid Catwoman' and 'Kid Poison Ivy' stuff. Plays into the Joker theme of having a multiple-choice backstory.

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 01, 2015, 11:01:40 PM
I don't watch Gotham, but I do like how they keep playing with different possible Jokers, as opposed to the 'Kid Catwoman' and 'Kid Poison Ivy' stuff. Plays into the Joker theme of having a multiple-choice backstory.

Agreed I'm waiting for them to reveal it was none of the hints and its someone completely different.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on March 01, 2015, 11:05:32 PM
Agreed I'm waiting for them to reveal it was none of the hints and its someone completely different.

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose, though? Even 'none of the above' would still be laying down a specific person who becomes the Joker, if they go that way.

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 01, 2015, 11:18:03 PM
Wouldn't that defeat the purpose, though? Even 'none of the above' would still be laying down a specific person who becomes the Joker, if they go that way.

Does this mean all of Batman's enemies are going to be senior citizens by the time Bruce Wayne dons the cape and cowl?

Deamonbane

Black Mask and Penguin aren't exactly teenagers by the time that Batman begins kicking arse...

Mathim

Quote from: Deamonbane on March 02, 2015, 10:01:25 AM
Black Mask and Penguin aren't exactly teenagers by the time that Batman begins kicking arse...

Having never seen the show, you'll need to elaborate on that one for me to fully comprehend it.

Deamonbane

It's not about the show. Most of the villains in the DC Universe (At least the Gotham Universe) Are about Wayne's age or maybe a little younger. Black Mask (Roman Sionis) and Penguin (Oswald Cobblepot), however, are a good deal older. Not quite senior citizens, but in their 50s or 60s. The rest (I am missing some probably) Are about Bruce's age, and thus put in the show as teenagers or children, while Sionis and Cobblepot are slipped in as older characters.

Aiden

Mathim

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck! I wanna see that so bad! Two fucking months...where's a damn TARDIS when you need it?

CaptainNexus616

You know with them bring Spidey into the MCU...I really wish we can possibly get the adult Spidey instead of the high school one.

Mathim

Yeah, it's never occurred to them that in the two times we've gotten barely-legal Peter Parker and boytoy Peter Parker, he's not had terribly great appeal. Let's get an older, wiser Peter Parker who will actually seem so awkward to us for his joking demeanor that it gets good results. They took a risk on Guardians and it paid off handsomely, why not do the same with a hero they have yet to not fuck up on screen?

TheGlyphstone

[Quesada]Because Spider-Man fans clearly cannot relate to a Peter Parker who isn't a unmarried loser struggling through high school.[/Quesada]

CaptainNexus616

Yet he goes ahead and literally erases Peter Parker's marriage through a deal with the devil to save a dying Aunt May. Then turns him into a struggling loser with a girlfriend named after Quesada's real life daughter and has everyone including Mary Jane say she is the greatest thing ever in an attempt to make fans like her only to have the total opposite effect.

Carlie Cooper was doomed from the start but that's what you get for introducing her a few pages right after devil divorce deal was done.

Mathim

Making Spidey older gets rid of lots of problems. No need to focus on aunt May who is more significant as a role model for the fledgling wall-crawler and merely a sometimes-advisor to the seasoned webslinger. His relationship with MJ can be more serious, if they aren't already married, and he alone can show how difficult it is balancing married/committed life with superherodom, something the other heroes have either shied away from (Hulk and Betty) or simply haven't gotten around to it yet (Tony and Pepper) or who just haven't been able to get the hang of relationships enough (Cap).

This all presupposes that the filmmakers don't decide to continue the tradition of replacing characters for the sake of diversity. If they just make it so Peter Parker never existed so they can shoehorn in Miles Morales, we'll still have the problem of Spidey being a young (in this case, ridiculously so) amateur. So sick of that.

Whatever they do, they better do it right. Any more insults to the representation of a character that has already had more TV series about him than probably any other in the Marvel domain will not be tolerated. We really need someone to be in charge of the production to have the attitude of this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As1bd3fSUQY

Deamonbane

Mathim

So with the 3rd Avengers trailer now out, how long until Ant-Man gets another, I would say badly needed, trailer to take the mixed taste of the first one out of our mouths (if indeed such a thing is possible?)

Oh, and a rumor circulating around about the post-credits scene (or one of the two they usually have nowadays, exception being Guardians which only had one, if you don't count Groot slowly regrowing as one of them - which I don't, personally) for Age of Ultron is something along the lines of Hank Pym being approached by someone asking him what's going on, basically setting up Ant-Man's entrance into the MCU. Frankly I feel that that's a bit unnecessary but my favorite version of this is what I heard when the rumor first reached my ears:
Hank Pym is sitting in a bar not unlike General Thunderbolt Ross from the Incredible Hulk and is then approached in said bar by said General. Pym asks what brings Ross there and Ross tosses a newspaper onto the table/bar whose headline reads, "World Government Unite to Regulate Superhuman Activity". Ross then asks Pym, "Haven't you heard? We're at war." This would not only set up Ant-Man, the least important part, but would also actively set up Captain America: Civil War.