Are there still Outsiders fans out there?

Started by XxDark AngelxX, February 26, 2014, 09:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Styx26

Quote from: cptBacon on March 02, 2014, 12:22:35 AM
That's an interesting take on Catcher. It's been over a decade since I've read it, but I honestly don't remember thinking it was satirical. I got more of a tormented internal struggle vibe from the book. He's constantly criticizing the phoniness of others, but he's at least as guilty as any other character in being phony. He was a scared kid trying to fit in, and I didn't read that as an allegory on anti-conventionalism. Either way, I think think the proto-hipster moniker still fits.

I believe that you nailed that review of Catcher, cptBacon.

I saw the movie 'The Outsiders' when I was in junior high. That, and 'Grease' made me want to be a greaser. I read the book years later- I have to say the movie was pretty accurate. It made me read 'Rumble Fish' and a few others of S.E. Hinton's books.
Ons and Offs
RP Ideas, Characters
A/A's
Patience is a virtue... it's a good thing I'm trying to be more virtuous! ^^
Quote from: Wolfling72 on December 06, 2013, 06:23:12 PM
Do NOT encourage the Padawan!

joaniedark

The Outsiders was an amazing book, and I still quote it to this day. One of the most memorable books we read in school.

Never got to read Catcher in the Rye, unfortunately. But I think our curriculum made up for it--my school seemed to have some weird hard-on for speculative fiction and sci-fi, so a lot of our reading got to be short stories about robots gaining humanity and the like. Interesting stuff for tiny existential crises in preteen form to read.
O/Os~*~AO3