AVG 2015 causes an auto-restart.

Started by Blinkin, August 24, 2015, 06:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinkin

I don't know if this is a "new" issue, or just one that I discovered today.

When I run AVG 2015, the scan gets to 20% and suddenly restarts my computer. I'm running Windows XP (Yes, someone still uses it) and this is a recent event. I installed 2015 back in early august and it ran fine the last tie that I ran it, which was about 10 days ago. I tried a system restore, but it didn't work.

The only change that I'm aware of is I installed Firefox about the same time as my last scan. I don't know if this is the issue or not, but I can't seem to find anything on the net about AVG restarting my computer during a scan. Anyone out there have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Blinkin
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Tsenta

Recently had a run-in with a ton of malware that caused around the same issue.  Grab MalwareBytes, boot up in safe mode. Scan. Scan. Scan.
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

Blinkin

Additional information.

This morning, I went into my recent documents via the start menu and found this in the list:

"wscui.cpl"

Anyone know what it is and if I need to worry about it? Might it be related to my AVG issues?
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Vekseid

Windows Security Center.

Probably. It's hard to say without you being able to see what it's presumably trying to tell you (beyond 'Windows XP has reached end-of-life' anyhow).

Tempted to get some braille keyboard stickers, put them on a chromebook, turn on the voice assist and have it mailed to you >_>

Blinkin

Ok, I tried to go into the security center last night, looking for the elusive "Windows malware Remover Tool" to see if that might help. Malwarebytes isn't very accessible to me, so it's really hard to see if it actually finds anything and if so, how to remove it.

So, that is probably why it's showing up in my recent documents, I tried to open the security center.

In theory, a friend is giving me his old computer, about 2 years old, but that's been in the works since May and it hasn't appeared yet. Maybe at some point, or I can try to borrow enough money off of people to get a used system off of a pawnshop or something. I have a line on a screen reader for Windows 7, but that's probably going to drop  off of of the usable operating systems list in a year or so at this point.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Vekseid

Windows 7 is going to be around for at least another 5 years. Probably longer.

I suggest a Chromebook because if the voice assist is good enough for you, then that will at least resolve things with respect to web browsing. The keyboard is rather non-standard but some braille stickers would help with that.