WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Idej

Ahhh

It's a good read and when you get time to go read it.  :)

wander

Quote from: Idej on November 11, 2017, 11:51:16 PM
So to put a close on the Dark Eldar.  I put an advert looking for anyone willing to run a game with a Dark Eldar for Rogue Trader and all that.  If any of you want to run the game feel free to check it out.

On other news who is hyped for Necromunda?

I've been a lil hyped for Necromunda, though my mate who I tabletop and do Geedub games with isn't. He's of the mind it's too boardgamey and too much like Shadespire (it's nothing like Shadespire, despite both being on boards), I'm okay with the Zone Mortalis boards as I know that the Gang War book supplement has the cool campaign stuff my mate wants there (with the 3d terrain and tripping/falling rules) and I know that Necromunda.com is going to release the Legacy Gangs soon (probably a day of release pdf I'd reckon).

TheLaughingOne

Got my pre-order in. Looking forward to it, me and friends are already using the shadow war armageddon rules  with the old edition of Necromunda underhive, and works pretty well, specially nice with the territories and what not added in. Some issues still balancing out, like how only heavies can carry heavy weapons, but some groups their heavies are Melee with bad BS scores. But still pretty fun. Though my days off shifted so i dont get a chance to hang with my friends and play any more...
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

Idej

I haven't got it yet

I want to but alas that had not happened yet

wander

The main difference seems to really be that each player activates a model in turn through each game turn. The old d6 table for mid-game injury now has it's own d6 with symbols, reducing the need to look up a result on a table (it's the same thing as the old rules) and there's a neat random shots mechanic on an ammo dice with a jam symbol on it for gunfire.

Overall the rules otherwise seem mostly like the old version. Heavies are renamed to 'Champions' though otherwise seems close to the Necromunda rules of old, though with 8th edition WS and BS formatting and the 8th edition S/T wounding rules, there's also the readdition of the old Rogue Trader stats of Cool, Willpower and Intelligence, which just spreads out the varying Ld and dexterity tests out some.

greenknight

Quote from: wander on November 13, 2017, 04:47:34 PM
and there's a neat random shots mechanic on an ammo dice with a jam symbol on it for gunfire.
They're bringing back sustained fire dice? >:)
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

HairyHeretic

IIRC the original Necromunda had a chance of your shots running out of ammo.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

TheLaughingOne

Yep, original necromunda had sustained fire, usually a D3 (2d3 for some heavier weapons), number you roll is number of shots you get to take, and each shot is made individually. When making a ranged attack if you rolled a 6 you had to make an ammo check against the weapons ammo rating. Stat was 2+ to about 4-5+, and you needed to roll higher then the ammo rating, and you could buy extra magazines for half the weapons cost to retry a failed roll. It wasnt just the weapon running out of ammo, but feed jams, overheating, ect.

Shadow wars its much the same, though ammo rolls are 2d6 against ratings of 2-8 (8 being things like ork guns and such, very unstable and wonky). This was a back and forth as to this date, over something like 30 games we have only had 2 failed rolls. where as old necro, you were going to have themall the time thus was good to stock on backup weapons.
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

HairyHeretic

I had a Van Saar gang, with I think 3 or 4 guys with armourer (or whatever the ammo bonus skill was). We never ran out of ammo, even for the bolters. :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

wander

So that's what sustained fire dice are, lol, I never really got to play back in the 90s and it's been a while since I read the Necromunda rules. ^^'

Templates are also making a return, funnily enough my local Geedub store (and probably others all around) were doing this Saturday just passed a Necromunda day where you could try the new game and also they were giving away free Template packs, probably getting rid of the overstock seeing as they've been done away with in 8th edition.  ;D

TheLaughingOne

yep! forgot rule where you could target multipule figures within like, 3-4 inches of each other, each shot is made independent, so takes in penalties from range, cover, and so forth.

First time i went against some chaos marines one had a heavy bolter. left 3 models out in the open in line of sight without even thinking. Guy rolled 3 shots, spread them between the three guys, all hits and do d3 wounds, rolled Outs on each one. First round of the game.

ffffuuuucccckkkk.

i managed to get some dignity back by lureing him into a choke point, tar pitting him with scrubs, and managed to have my inquisition crusader take out his chaos berserker. He got himself a nice shiny purity seal for that.
My Ons and Offs!

wander

Outside of melee, where there may be some bolder differences, it seems the real difference between old and new Necromunda aside from what's been discussed is the shift of Overwatch to be a character skill instead of something everyone can do.

There's also a foot long range ruler which has lines on it that class whether models are in partial or full cover too, which mainly puts on a penalty to hit. Also no pre-measuring, as doing the measure to see if the target in cover is part of totalling the 'to hit' roll.

Gangs made up using the 'Gang War' book still are made from 1000 credits and seem to line up with the old game, though new weapons, gear and skills are in to update the House Gangs and make them more different going in, rather than the old Necromunda where they were mainly the same list and grew differently via the skill trees they could roll on.

Anyone seen the Beastman Bounty Hunter model yet? :)

HairyHeretic

Do they have rules for the non house gangs that were introduced in the original expansion? Things like scavvies, spyrers and redemptionists?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

CopperLily

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 14, 2017, 05:52:55 PM
Do they have rules for the non house gangs that were introduced in the original expansion? Things like scavvies, spyrers and redemptionists?

My impression is the plan is for follow-on releases and Forge World support.

TheLaughingOne

Yep, forge world already has announced a beastman figure, implying a beastman hired gun, or option for a beastman gang.
My Ons and Offs!

wander

The only gangs supported in the Gang War book are the Eschers and Goliaths, though the full campaign rules are in there. The Legacy House gangs are getting a pdf release on Necromunda.com at some point, I expect the day it releases.

As for Redemptionists, Scavvies, Ratskins, Spryers etc, they will likely be in a follow up supplement book from Forge World in the future, if they're not in the Legacy list release.

The Beastman is a Bounty Hunter, making him a Hired Gun.
I believe the rules to use him will be included in the model's pack from what I've seen mentioned about him on Warhammer Community and Spikey Bits.

The Beastman is a nice surprise, as the devs have hinted new things are going to be added to Necromunda, maybe even new Gangs, so that there is something new coming means we are gonna get some fun new surprises for sure.

My only worry is they'll support it for a few months or a year and then leave it, like they've done with Blood Bowl.

TheLaughingOne

Could be worse...

Shadow War Armageddons getting the shaft pretty hard despite the fact it sold damn good and far as i know, still ha a big number of players about. i got a few friends who play who are saltier then the dead sea that its getting unceremoniously axed as it is.
My Ons and Offs!

wander

It's not so much axed as just leaving it as is, seems to be just another way of playing 40k as a supplement, much like Kill Team. Or I suppose as Skirmish is with Age of Sigmar, which is another neat way of playing though kinda rushed out and left as is.

TheLaughingOne

true enough. it could deffinately use some extra work for factions to give them actual advancement points and what not all.

for necromunda I kinda wanna get a bunch of imperial guard bits, and tau bits, and make a Gue'vesa infiltrator gang. give them access to tau weaponry and few gear pieces. show the tau trying to slowly subjugate the hive from the inside out by sending in their human turn coats...

Side note...

Genestealer cult that saw just what the Nids are up to, and bugged off the planet but got caught by inquisition... Given a new chance to show they arent worthless xeno tainted filth deserving of being jettisoned into the void. Give them a damaged ship, and shove it off towards Tau space. When they make contact they are to surrender and happily join the Tau. Once settled on a planet (they can explain away genetic weirdness as being abhumans bred for hard and dangerous labor on their home world, just barely managed to escape the horrible imperial conditions, totally wanna join the greater good...) they start expanding the cult out until its to the size it begins attracting Hives to Tau space. Once hive is close enough use inquisition supplied gear to bug out to new area.. Repeat.
My Ons and Offs!

wander

I know Forge World had a book/supplement with Guevesa rules in it. Though honestly if you wanted to do them then I would make them by getting some Cadians and Fire Warriors, use the Tau torsos, guns and arms and use the Cadian heads and legs to finish them up. You could also stick some Tau helmets on some if you don't want all of them to have Imperial helmets or use them to differentiate between the different classes. Then use the crunch for the Tau from Shadow War in that game and bob's your uncle. I would think it'd be a hard time trying to homebrew them into Necromunda proper, or at least getting the points balanced with the credits for both.

Genestealer Cults would be fun for Necromunda and the old corebook had stats for them as hive wildlife. I'd like to see some updated rules to get them in as a gang type, something like the Shadow War one, though more... Necromunda-y with some more cool 2nd edition options thrown in for nostalgia.

On the issue of spreading Xenos taint to the Tau, I think only radical Inquisitors would think of doing that and only as a way to easily weaken Tau resolve and mop them up. Having the Inquisition give a Genestealer Cult the provisions to jump from planet to planet infecting others is... counter-productive, one would think. I mention it as whilst it's a decent plan in theory, the Tau are neighbours with Ultramar and Macragge and A) Tyranids are waaaay worse a threat to galactic stability than the Tau and B) I really don't see the Ultramarines happy with Tyranids being corralled so close to their space with their own history with the bugs.

TheLaughingOne

Wooo!!! Necromunda stuff has arrived! Models look fuggin awesome, terrain stuf looks cool, and im exhausted as fuck so cant focus enough to read the books!

FUUK!
My Ons and Offs!

wander

We also have news on how the new Gangs will be coming along and also the Necromunda site has a free pdf download for the old 'legacy' House Gangs you may already own from the old edition, to last until they're updated with the new coverage.

House Orlock will be coming first of all, I believe the ETA is February. Then each quarter other Gangs will be released, one at time. Makes the gaming fairly expensive, as more than likely extra bonus optional rules will be added to the supplements for the page count (More Hired Guns are confirmed to be in the Orlock supplement) and to keep costs decently high, similar to how Blood Bowl has been doing Death Zone booklets.

So we're looking at a 2018 release schedule of roughly Feb, May, August and then November again, which will cover the House Gangs. I did read somewhere the order of the other Houses being released, probably on Spikey Bits, I know House Delaque will be last.

I expect the end of next year will have the old Underhive stuff become a thing and 2019 will have a schedule of the Ratskins, Scavvies, Redemptionists and Spyrers with a high probability a few surprises in the books to bulk them out somewhat, like that Beastman Hired Gun. There's already rumours of a Genestealer Cult Gang, though I see them more likely being added as either Hired Guns or as bestiary profiles like in the old Necromunda stuff.

TheLaughingOne

Hey, dont suppose anybody knows a site that lists the contents of a box? Like whats actually in it, what weapons and how many of them?
My Ons and Offs!

HairyHeretic

Try doing an image search for the box spring. It's a little clumsy, but you should be able to work out weapons and such that way.

Cattle die, kinsmen die