Installing Steam - Win 7 64-bit

Started by Kip, January 10, 2011, 01:48:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kip

Alright, I've had it!

I just recently got a new computer - I got Windows 7 64-bit with it...

I've been trying to install Steam with no success...

To begin with - I got this

and it didn't move.

I uninstalled it, tried again - got to 6% before not moving.  Tried and retried this.  Most I got to was 8%

I started going online and looking for solutions.  I have tried -

Uninstall with registry clear (manual) then reinstall.
Using CCleaner before reinstall.
Removing specific suggested files from the Steam directory and reinstalling.
Restarting in Safe Mode with network support.
Restarting after each of these prior to reinstalling.
Virtually every combination of these.
Most probably something else here that I'm forgetting.

After I restarted the last time, it went through and seemed to complete.  Where it had 'Updating Steam.....' in the above graphic, it had changed to 'Updating Steam Platform...' and went to 28%...

and then stopped.

I went through everything again... and now it's back at the first graphic and just at 4% complete.

I'm getting hints it is something specific to 64-bit Windows but I can't find a solution online or come up with one on my own. 

Anyone have any ideas for a frustrated Kip?

"You say good start, I say perfect ending. 
This world has no heart and mine is beyond mending."
~Jay Brannan~

"Am I an angel or a monster?  A hero or a villian? Why can't I see the difference?"
~Mohinder Suresh~

Kip

Alright, I did all the steps above again and also followed through the steps suggests by the Valve developers here....

and ran the installer and just didn't touch anything...

and it got to the Updating Steam platform again but stopped at 0% -

Here's what it looks like so that you can see the difference and the fact that the installer has actually moved onto a different step...

The percentage complete seems to be unique to this step... or something else is going on.  I really don't know.

~Jay Brannan~

"Am I an angel or a monster?  A hero or a villian? Why can't I see the difference?"
~Mohinder Suresh~

Soran

How odd. I have windows 7 64bit and not had any issues with installing steam at all. When you activate steam and are connected to the internet it seems to always update, most likely with the latest version of the client and its store front (offers etc)

Is it possible your internet security is blocking the update?

Kip

Doesn't appear to be...

I've tried it with my security programs temporarily disabled with no noticeable difference.

I've also looked at factors outside the computer that never impacted before such as ensuring my router is set up to specifically allow required ports through its own firewall. 

No difference there either.

It's so frustrating.

~Jay Brannan~

~Mohinder Suresh~

Soran

Okay, the only thing I can suggest is set steam so it doesn't start with your computer (settings then interface)  and manually start it up after a reboot. I have no idea if it will work or not, but at least it won't be trying to boot with your computer start up. Maybe the update will be okay then *shrugs* Good luck.