Fortunately Unfortunate

Started by Sinna Mystika, January 07, 2010, 11:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArlenIronison

Arlen smiled and shook his head at Kodi's comment. "You're hardly a burden, don't trouble yourself with it. Make yourself at home, I should be done in a while." He nods to her, walking out into the garage to work on getting the radio to work.

The only problem with that was that the thing was ancient. He'd had it for a really long time, since he liked old technology for some reason. Looking at it, he frowned, having to connect a direct line to the generator, and craft himself a custom phone jack for it to even get some kind of signal.

Sinna Mystika

Kodi was done cleaning. She hadn't rearranged anything, simply cleaned under it all and put it back. She had even scrubbed the bathroom and kitchen until they sparkled. The only thing she had left was the windows. Kodi looked around for window cleaner and managed to find a bottle that was half full.

She started on the windows, listening to Arlen in the garage. She wished she knew how to do handy things. She was pretty much useless when it came to things like that. Kodi shrugged. At least she could clean pretty well.

After she finished all the windows, Kodi looked around at her work. It looks pretty good if I do say so myself. She chuckled.

"And I do."

ArlenIronison

After about an hour of running around his garage looking for the things he needed, he finally managed to get the radio working, and pulled out a really old book looking for the right channels. After a while of searching, he managed to get a connection with the police station down the road.

"Uh, hello?" The chatter went silent after a moment until a man responded.

"Hello? Who is this?"

"This is Arlen Ironison, I live a few miles down from the station. My house is buried pretty bad from the storm that hit a few nights ago." Again there was silence.

"Good to know you're alive down there son. How'd you get this channel?"

"I had a really old radio and got it working again; didn't think I'd need it, but I've got a girl from out of town who I had to shelter since she was nearly buried."

"That doesn't sound good. We'll see if we can't get someone out to get you, but there's no promises. In the meantime, is there anything we can do?"

"Yea, she needs to get in touch with her sister who lives around the city. I'll go get her so you can get a name." Arlen put the radio mic down and went back into the house. "Kodi! I got the radio working, I'm talking with the police. Grab your coat and come on out here!"

Sinna Mystika

Kodi jumped when she heard Arlen call her out. She had been thinking about nothing in particular, but had been deeply into it. She jumped up off of the couch and ran to grab her coat.

"You got through to someone?? I'm impressed!!" She went out to the garage and looked at the radio. It was.....well it didn't look like much, but it was there. She found it odd that this thing was her link to the outside world. It was a strange feeling. Kodi shook herself and walked over to the radio.

"H-hello??"

"Hello, ma'am?? Could we get your name??"

"Huxton. Dakoda Huxton." She spelled it out for them. "I live in Centralia about an hour west of here. 5749 West Forty-fifth Road. I need to get a message to my older sister, Amanda Renton, in Hendentown. Her number is 3327864453. I need her to know that I am safe, I just wrecked my car up a little bit. If I could get someone to tell her I'm not dead, dying, or freezing in the woods somewhere, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure she's worrying herself half to death."

The radio was silent. Kodi waited.

"Miss Huxton, we can certainly let your sister know that you're safe. Rest easy. Let me be sure I have your information down properly."

He read everything back to her, and with a few corrections, Kodi felt sure her message would get to the right place. She thanked the man and stepped back from the radio.

"Alright. If that's all Mr. Ironison....."

ArlenIronison

Arlen smiled to Kodi, walking over to grab the mic again. "Ah, actually, do you know how long it'd take you to dig us out? What we have here will only last so long, you know." The other end was silent for a moment, but Arlen didn't panic; he figured the police were trying to give him a proper estimate. But the longer they took, the worse it looked for them.

"Do you think you can hold out for another week? We're still unfreezing the snowplows out here and we have other people to dig out over there." The man almost sounded hesitant in what he was saying, but so would Arlen. How do you ask someone to wait a week to be saved?

"I'm sure we can figure something out, officer. I'll try and keep in touch here." Arlen sighed, putting the mic down. He knew the man wasn't going to ask anything else or say anything important now. One week. Arlen took Kodi by the arm, leading her back inside.

"I'm sorry, Kodi; I bet you wanted to get out of here sooner, but there's nothing I can do. I don't think the police now how serious it is out here; with all the snow, it...." He sighed, rubbing the back of his neck. "It'll take longer than a week."

Sinna Mystika

Kodi sighed as he led her back inside.

"Well, at least we have somewhere warm to be. I wonder how many people were caught outside in that storm. How many people were trapped away from home." Kodi sighed again. "At least the house is clean. It took a while. I hope you don't mind. I needed something to do, so I did."

ArlenIronison

Arlen shrugs indifferently. "I don't mind, I usually don't clean because there's not much to clean. Well... when I clean I sort of get lazy and just organize. Don't clean unless it's noticable." He grins a bit, walking back into the living room and sitting on his couch, leaning back. "Didn't think I'd be so tired..."

Sinna Mystika

"Well, I find that when I have nothing much to do, I get tired a lot. It's boredom really. I'll either sleep all day or eat all day. That's why I try to find something to do." Kodi sat down on the other side of the couch so she could look out the window to the road.

The snow still fell softly sometimes, but it wasn't accumulating anymore. The snow in the street was actually starting to melt on top. It would still be a while before it was possible to drive in with anything smaller than a crane, but at least it wasn't getting any worse. That was something to be thankful for. Kodi sighed. At least it's pretty to look at.

Kodi grabbed a couple of her color books and her pencils, and began looking for another page to do. She wanted a springtime picture. Something that wasn't covered in snow. She found a picture she liked and sat on the floor, sitting the book on the coffee table. Kodi began coloring, a look of concentration on her face. This one would have lots of shading and colors. It was going to take a while.

ArlenIronison

Arlen was just lounging in a chair, watching her color with a smile on his face. It was sort of childish, especially since she used crayons, but at least the pictures turned out really well. She had a good touch of artistry to her he could tell, seeing as she drew so well with crayons, but the coloring books he just found amusing.

After a while, he felt himself drifting off, and decided to get some more sleep.

Sinna Mystika

After a while, Kodi looked up at Arlen. He was sleeping. He looked so.....peaceful when he slept. She smiled and stood up. He didn't look cold, but she figured it would be a nice gesture to get him a blanket. She grabbed one and carefully covered him, so as not to wake him. He stirred, but she didn't think he had woken up.

Kodi sat back down and resumed her coloring, but her concentration was diluted. She was thinking as she colored. Life and it's surprises have a way of hitting you like a ton of feathers. They don't seem significant, but they can hit you hard. She yawned, shook her head, and continued with her picture.

Before long, Kodi was asleep with her head resting on the table.