News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Looking to get into a 3.5 Eberron game [UN]

Started by Kunoichi, November 11, 2009, 12:41:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: The Great Triangle on November 24, 2009, 04:48:34 PM
It means you're being an asshole for trying to pick your race based on what has the most plusses.   :P  Stick with the damned core races if you don't have a character concept which relies on being outside the core races.  Sorry if I get a little annoyed, but people who pick a completely random race for more plusses annoy the hell out of me.

Urr...
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

The Great Triangle

Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Katina Tarask

Quote from: The Great Triangle on November 24, 2009, 04:53:33 PM
Also, Tarrasque, I'm giving you 2,500 xp for helping people make their characters.  :-)
Yay, experience points!
Quote from: The Great Triangle on November 24, 2009, 04:48:34 PM
It means you're being an asshole for trying to pick your race based on what has the most plusses.   :P  Stick with the damned core races if you don't have a character concept which relies on being outside the core races.  Sorry if I get a little annoyed, but people who pick a completely random race for more plusses annoy the hell out of me.
In his defense, he was starting with fey-touched to begin with.  The line between fey-touched and half-fey is pretty much whether great-great-great grandma was a fairy or whether grandma was a fairy.  So I'd put it more on the order of choosing between Beguiler, telepath Psion, and enchanter Wizard for your brainomancer.

Though, the whole 'Fiends Folio isn't on the book list,' thing still stands, so the case is rather moot.

The Great Triangle

Hmm...  I suppose I am being somewhat harsh.  Real life is being a bit of a drag lately.  I do, however, truly hate half races, and the setting hates them to a decent degree too, so I think I can go ahead and deny approval.  Sorry! 

Ons and Offs

PhantomPistoleer

Anyhow, you're right, Terra!  That Mind Over Matter (PGFP.41) doesn't work the way I wanted it to.  Insightful Reflexes (CAdvP110) does work the way I want it to.  ::taps chin::  What to do, what to do.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

The Great Triangle

Here's another link to the game's OOC thread, in case anybody missed it and doesn't want to read the thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=52661.0] [url]https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=52661.0[/url]

Ons and Offs

Katina Tarask

How much should we worry about incidentals like how many arrows we have, or bedrolls, or flint and tinder?  And how important is encumbrance?

Pistol: Mind Over Matter almost certainly isn't worth it in this case, but Insightful Reflexes is still worth it.

If you pick up a levels of Bard, you can take Snowflake Wardance (Frostburn), which lets you get charisma to melee attacks for a limited amount of time (9 rounds if you take full ranks in Perform: Dance), at the cost of a Bardic Music attempt (Extra Music and one level of Bard should cut it for the day).  One level of Swashbuckler paired with Capstone Training to get Insightful Strike will get you permanent intelligence to damage.  So, take both of 'em and you should be a decent melee presence.  It costs you a level of Factotum and the Marshal level, but it should be fine.

The Great Triangle

I'm not going to be particularly anal retentive about supplies.  You will need to indicate if you're carrying strange and expensive gear like flasks of acid, but each character can be assumed to carry or own:

bedroll
lantern + Oil
20 or so tindertwigs
pack of cigarettes or cigars
set of manacles
pen and ink
picture ID
compass
military dress uniform
civilian clothes
knife
birth control
family signet ring
letters of credit for personal and expense accounts
traveling papers for all major countries in Khorvaire, with fake IDs
mirror
chalk
signal whistle

Your character may have other gear, but use that as a guideline for what your character generically has available.  Mass production in Eberron has lowered the price of tindertwigs from 1gp to 1sp, while masterwork weapons cost only 50gp. 

You also have the neccesary tools and kits to perform any skills you have ranks for, so if you're trained in disguise, you own a disguise kit.  This never gives you magical items for free.

Ons and Offs

Katina Tarask

Should we assume that any mundane gear not on that list needs to be listed?  Like soap or pen and paper?  Or should we just keep the most basic of basics like that assumed?

I'm guessing how much rope we have on hand actually matters, so I'm probably going to list that.

The Great Triangle

I thought paper went without saying, and if your character makes a habit of carrying soap around, you should note it.  The amount of rope you have is also important, and I didn't put that on the list of default items.  :-)

Ons and Offs

PhantomPistoleer

All right, a quick question just to clarify things for myself:

If I use the Capstone Training feat, would that mean that I am able to access any LVL 2 Class Feature from a class I don't have any levels in?  For example, if I'm a ranger 6, could I use Capstone Training to purchase a class feature from Rogue 2 (i.e., Evasion)?

If I use the Capstone Training Feat and then the Prestige Training stack?  Could I end up getting a LVL 11 Class Feature if I combine the two?

Thanks!
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

The Great Triangle

Capstone training stacks with prestige training, so you could theoretically get a level 11 class feature that way.  Your interpretation is odd, but I'll allow you to go and take evasion that way if you'd like it.  Given the low hit points of characters in E6, it seems faily reasonable.

Ons and Offs

Tagan

Looks like a NG Mind Blade Style girl for you then!  Thanks, that was very helpful, I'llnpost the character sheet shortly.

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: The Great Triangle on November 24, 2009, 07:27:27 PM
Capstone training stacks with prestige training, so you could theoretically get a level 11 class feature that way.  Your interpretation is odd, but I'll allow you to go and take evasion that way if you'd like it.  Given the low hit points of characters in E6, it seems faily reasonable.

But that was an example, and it wasn't what I was planning to do.  I had a problem figuring the whole cap thing.  :o

So just to clarify, if I pick up Rogue 6, and then I got the Prestige and then Capstone in the assassin class, I could end up with a L6 character that has 6d6 of sneak attack damage -and- improved uncanny dodge?  On top of that, I could probably get a LVL 2 Rogue + LVL 4 Swashbuckler, pick up the Daring Rogue feat that lets you stack grace and sneak attack, too?

::head explodes::
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Katina Tarask

Mind how many feats and how much XP that would take, Pistol.

PhantomPistoleer

Wouldn't it just take the following:

15,000 XP for a sixth level character;
5,000 XP to purchase prestige;
5,000 XP to purchase capstone?

o_O
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

The Great Triangle

E6 doesn't mean your gimped at a permanent 6th level of power, just that heroes have to start taking other routes to power after hitting the top of human capability.  :-)

Ons and Offs

PhantomPistoleer

All right, so I have another question:

If I pick Prestige Training in Invisible Hand and pick up Unfettered Defense, and then pick up Sneak Attack +3d6 via Cap Training, how many points of Intelligence am I applying to my AC with Unfettered Defense?
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

The Great Triangle

Phantom, you know what Tarrasque told you about annotating? 

I haven't memorized the entire line, and I can't answer these questions easily without more information. 

Tarrasque can answer it for 250xp though.

Ons and Offs

PhantomPistoleer

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

The Great Triangle

You would only apply 1 point of intelligence bonus to your AC.  If you take Class Training (Unfettered Defense) though, you get to apply 3 points of intelligence.  Capstone training only increases your effective class level for the purpose of qualifying for feats.  (mostly for fighters)

Ons and Offs

Katina Tarask

Unfettered Defense is a feature unto itself, advanced independently.  By taking Prestige Training to gain Unfettered Defense, you get it as a first-level Invisible Blade.  To advance it any further, you need to take Capstone Training, which advances it by two levels each time.  Advancing Feature B does not advance Feature A; a Paladin who advances her mount via Capstone Training would have to spend another feat to advance Lay on Hands.

Also, I do not believe you can cut straight to the 3d6 sneak attack; that 3d6 sneak attack is, in fact, a +1d6 advancement to your current Sneak Attack ability, same as any other, so you would be using Capstone Training to advance your Sneak Attack by +1d6 each time.

PhantomPistoleer

Just when you think you're getting somewhere with character creation...
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: The Great Triangle on November 12, 2009, 07:32:44 PM
You'll have to pick four feats to get all of those bonuses, yes, although you can receive class features from higher levels through the capstone training and ultimate mastery feats.  You can also pick abilities from multiple presige classes if you could qualify for all classes you pick abilities from by 9th level.

All right, here is the source of all of my confusion.

Quote from: The Tarrasque on November 24, 2009, 09:50:31 PM
Unfettered Defense is a feature unto itself, advanced independently.  By taking Prestige Training to gain Unfettered Defense, you get it as a first-level Invisible Blade.  To advance it any further, you need to take Capstone Training, which advances it by two levels each time.  Advancing Feature B does not advance Feature A; a Paladin who advances her mount via Capstone Training would have to spend another feat to advance Lay on Hands.

But the thing is, I'm not actually picking Unfettered Defense at LVL 1 Invisible Blade, but at LVL 3 Invisible Blade.  o_o

DISREGARD:

QuotePrestige Training (General)
Prerequisite: 6th level
Benefit: Choose a prestige class you could qualify for by 9th level.  All special requirements for the class must already be met.  You gain a class feature that presige class gets at 1st level.  For the purposes of the capstone training and the ultimate mastery feats, you are considered to be level 1 in the selected prestige class.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times, its effects do not stack. Each time you take this feat it applies to another class feature.  You may only take this feat if you could qualify for the prestige classes you have abilities from simultaneously.

I get it now.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

TheGlyphstone

@ Tagan: Something you should consider, and by 'consider', I mean 'get at all costs, including bribing the DM', is the Talashatora feat from Secrets of Sarlona (an Ebberon book). It lets you count Psychic Warrior levels and Monk levels for unarmed damage, AC bonus, and Flurry of Blows. At level 6, that's +1 AC, damage boost from d6 to d8, and reducing the Flurry penalty from -2 to -1. It'll cost 2 feat slots though (Monastic Training - Psychic Warrior and Talashatora) - you would probably want to get rid of either Combat Expertise+Whirlwind Attack or Mobility+Spring Attack - my preference being the latter, because Whirlwind Attack can get quite ugly once you fire off Expansion and become Huge with delicious 15ft reach*, and because Spring Attack deprives you of Flurry, your second-best Monk feature.

*Will require Practiced Manifester, naturally).