News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Miniature painting

Started by Beorning, August 12, 2015, 05:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eBadger

I believe Simple Green and Purple Power will both work for that too.  Just let them soak a bit. 

Beorning

Quote from: Dhi on November 27, 2017, 02:08:50 PM
It'll strip the oils from your skin and might cause redness and dryness. You can inhale it but it comes with an unpleasant odor to warn you when it's around because it is highly flammable.

You're supposed to dispose of it in a metal tin, but sufficiently diluted, it won't harm anything going down the sink.

I see. And do you know if it could damage a ceramic sink?

Quote from: eBadger on November 27, 2017, 02:10:09 PM
I believe Simple Green and Purple Power will both work for that too.  Just let them soak a bit. 

Not sure we have these over here...

eBadger

They're cleaning agents.  Where are at? 

Acetone is paint thinner.  It's very commonly available at hobby or home stores and will have directions.  If dumping in the sink, just pour slowly into running water.  It shouldn't do anything to ceramic. 

Beorning

I see. I'll ask around, then.

On more positive note, here's my latest Infinity mini - Brad Pitt Achilles :)

I admit I'm genuinely proud of how he turned out! :)

Beorning

By the way, Dhi - I took a look back at the thread and as usual, I really like your output. I really am amazed on how much detail you managed to get on, say, Hasht. These scaly arms!

BTW. I see you painted the Druze Hacker. Coincidentally, it's the same mini that's heading for the acetone bath :D She's a great model and I don't want to lose her...

And here's a question: I see that you complained that you had glued her together before painting... So, I gather that you first paint the minis, then glue them together? Because that's the opposite of what I am doing currently?

Oh, could you - maybe - post some more photos of this mini? I really had trouble fitting the right arm...

Dhi

Achilles looks great, awesome job on his face!

I'm very bad about putting everything together before I paint, and end up with places I just can't reach with a brush. Between Druze Hacker's thighs, the small of her back under her hair, under the rifle barrel, and under her left arm are just about impossible to detail when she's put together.

Sometimes there's no choice, like with Fade from Kingdom Death. Her cloak hangs over a ton of details. So I painted her body and cloak separately, but when it's time to glue the finished pieces together, the pressure gets to me. I get finger jitters and things don't always end up exactly where I wanted them in the time it takes insta-cure gel to set.

Druze Hacker's rifle rests on a groove in her hair. I'll try to get a clear photo of how it fits together for you.

Beorning

Quote from: Dhi on November 27, 2017, 07:40:19 PM
Achilles looks great, awesome job on his face!

Thanks! I admit I kind of cheated and made the eyes using a nib of an ink pen. I can never paint proper eyes with a brush, no matter how small...

I'm very bad about putting everything together before I paint, and end up with places I just can't reach with a brush. Between Druze Hacker's thighs, the small of her back under her hair, under the rifle barrel, and under her left arm are just about impossible to detail when she's put together.

I see. I used to do that, too, back when I was painting WH40K - but Infinity minis can be tricky to glue together, so I prefer to glue them first and paint later. If anything happens (c.f. yesterday's misadventures), it's easier just to remove the glue, than to ruin the entire paintjob...

Druze Hacker's rifle rests on a groove in her hair. I'll try to get a clear photo of how it fits together for you.

I'd really be grateful!

Dhi

Here's how the rifle rests on her shoulder

and against her hair

There are some small grooves to help you find the place.

TheLaughingOne

Woo! Got my ironclad Dreadnought! And working on modifying it for two chain fists (the weapon on the left side).

Found a second one (to go on the proper side) cheap and waiting for it to show, gonna try and detail paint it to look like the flamers are heating up the blade..

WIll post more when i get it done!
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

Beorning

Quote from: Dhi on December 01, 2017, 04:14:02 PM
Here's how the rifle rests on her shoulder

and against her hair

There are some small grooves to help you find the place.

Thanks!

I gave the Druze an acetone bath and the glue and greenstuff dissolved very nicely. So, I can try glueing this mini once again... I hope I get it right this time.

Arkaniel

Amazing paintwork, Dhi!

I’ll see about getting some of my better models uploaded, too. I’m not good at painting by hand, or... better to say, the quality of my painting by hand is variable, but I’m slowly mastering the airbrush. A necessity for my YELLOW imperial fist.

Pockets

Well if you're open to the idea I am a commission painter with experience with 40k armies.
08/02 - New A/A Update

Arkaniel

Quote from: Pockets on December 18, 2017, 10:11:14 AM
Well if you're open to the idea I am a commission painter with experience with 40k armies.

Sorry, not going to send my army out to commission. Even though my painting isn’t a constant GOOD, I still enjoy the painting itself and when a couple of models come out nicely, I’m actually proud of my own work.

Pockets

I understand. But you can't blame a guy for trying right?
08/02 - New A/A Update

Dhi

Got back into painting after being out for weeks, and started with a big project, Kingdom Death's Flower Witch.

Two afternoons spent casting different elements in resin for a custom forest log base with creeping ivy, another spent cleaning all the parts of my always-clogged airbrush and laying down zenithal highlights. Yesterday I gave the whole thing a glaze of olive. Today I put together a wet palette and started painting the skin.

And discovered my glaze medium is beyond its shelf date by ruining the whole thing. Glossy, cracking, color separation, just terrible.

It's my fault, I should have realized this stuff was getting old by the Hobby Lobby sticker. I haven't set foot in one of those since the court case. It sucks to have wasted like a week and all this enthusiasm on shoddy product.

eBadger

Ugh, that sucks.  I usually do that sort of thing with clear coat 🙄

Pockets

Hey Dhi, consider adding Vallejo Flow Improver and a little bit of water to your paint, mix it in the cup then cork the nozzle with the tip of your finger and give it just enough air that it back washes up into the paint to mix it up from underneath. I do about 40% Flow Improver, 30% water, and 30% paint. Rarely have any clogging issues. If I do, I just wet the tip of a Q-Tip and pulling back on the trigger without giving it any air lightly spin it around in the nozzle to clear away any paint.
08/02 - New A/A Update

Dhi

You cut primer with water and flow improver?

Pockets

I use Stynylrez Primers with very little problems.  But if it's fairly dry or I DO see clogging happen, I add a little Vallejo Paint Thinner to the pot, stir with an old brush, backflow it, then use the q-tip and move forward like a boss. Here is a YouTube video about Thinner vs. Flow Improver and in it he shows how you can use Vallejo brush on primers through an airbrush using thinner.

https://youtu.be/0gRUwf1J1Ug
08/02 - New A/A Update

Arkaniel

What airbrush are you using and what is the needle/nozzle width?

I have the harder and Steinbeck airbrush and had clogging issues with white and yellow paints till I upgraded from .15mm to .4mm needles

Dhi

The airbrush that always clogs is an Iwata HP-CS with .3mm needle.

I finished an old white metal Toughest Girls in the Galaxy this morning, but it is too cold outside to spray dullcote. It'll probably be a few months before I can post pictures again. In the meantime, I hope to get a lot more stuff done.

Pockets

Quote from: Dhi on December 24, 2017, 10:09:19 AM
The airbrush that always clogs is an Iwata HP-CS with .3mm needle.

I finished an old white metal Toughest Girls in the Galaxy this morning, but it is too cold outside to spray dullcote. It'll probably be a few months before I can post pictures again. In the meantime, I hope to get a lot more stuff done.

Get some of the non-rattlecan varnishes from Vallejo or The Army Painter lines. Flow Improver, some water, and your varnish of choice and you're good to go.
08/02 - New A/A Update

eBadger

I just get out all my minis and re apply a clear coat every spring.

It's a time honored tradition called "which ones have I not sprayed yet?   Fuck it, I'll just do them all"

Pockets

Quote from: eBadger on December 24, 2017, 09:07:33 PM
I just get out all my minis and re apply a clear coat every spring.

It's a time honored tradition called "which ones have I not sprayed yet?   Fuck it, I'll just do them all"

Use a bottle of white-out and apply a dot to the underside of the mini's you haven't varnished. Then once the varnish dries, scrape it off. That's how I sorted it out before I learned how to Varnish with an Airbrush.
08/02 - New A/A Update