Power Rangers. Kamen Rider, Sentai, suits and monsters

Started by Sabby, December 20, 2010, 06:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drake Valentine

Well, I tried to catch up on PR, but I can't.

I remember watching it sometime when the 1993 was released, so watched first episode and stopped. Too corny and my tastes have grown more mature over the years. ;(

Unless there is a more mature series of it somewhere(which I doubt since it was mostly for kids TV,) I will probably browse other Super Sentai shows.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Sabby

Jmorty33

Dude, don't go from Kuuga to Gaim. Try Kiva or another series like it.
Converted Mana Cost: 2 colorless 2 White 2 Red

+2 Target Player has writers block

+0 Target Player receives a post of two paragraphs or more.

-12 Player writes a novel.
THE BATTLE FOR ZENDIKAR IS HERE!!!!!

Sabby

Quote from: Jmorty33 on September 29, 2014, 03:50:27 PM
Dude, don't go from Kuuga to Gaim. Try Kiva or another series like it.

I'm watching the whole Heisei Era xD I have 16 seasons of this to get through.

Also, Drake, I wasn't able to go into details before because I was on my phone. If you're looking for actually good modern Power Rangers, definitely try RPM. It's the pinnacle of the series in my opinion. Good writing, good characters, great effects and fight scenes, cool theme (aside from the out of place vehicles), and it's quite dark at times without seeming 3edgy5me. All the Rangers were important, not just Red, they all had a fairly unique character (Red was a bit weaker, ironically), and most of the side characters were important and got screen time as well. It's impossible to get away from the occasional bit of silliness, since ya work with the footage Sentai gives ya (a soda based monster showing up in a post apocalypse setting is just stupid), but so much of the footage is original American stuff and the storyline is so different to the Sentai that you could watch this even if you were a Sentai fan.

I've actually spoken with a few Sentai fans who have a pretty low opinion of Power Rangers who said that RPM was a superior show to Go Onger (or whatever the fuck the original Sentai is called).

Definitely give it a try, just forgive the awful intro.

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Yukina

*reminisces about various sentai and their facts*

Revelation

For something of similar tastes, you could always try one of the various Kamen Rider series - they're similar to Sentai/power rangers stuff that I feel are a bit funner to get into. There's also Garo which is a more adult/mature oriented Tokusatsu style.

Yukina

Quote from: Changingsaint on October 25, 2014, 01:22:49 PM
For something of similar tastes, you could always try one of the various Kamen Rider series - they're similar to Sentai/power rangers stuff that I feel are a bit funner to get into. There's also Garo which is a more adult/mature oriented Tokusatsu style.

I love Kamen Rider. :) Gaim was great this year and Drive is having a nice start.

Sabby

Is this what you mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C08AhXvUgQ

Because it looks really good, but I get the feeling this is going to be more like Kamen Rider then Power Rangers :( Are most of these Japanese morph suit shows just like that and Power Rangers is the odd one out? Because I kind of prefer the whole 'few vs many' over one on one duels.

Revelation

Quote from: Sabby on October 25, 2014, 02:13:08 PM
Is this what you mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C08AhXvUgQ

Because it looks really good, but I get the feeling this is going to be more like Kamen Rider then Power Rangers :( Are most of these Japanese morph suit shows just like that and Power Rangers is the odd one out? Because I kind of prefer the whole 'few vs many' over one on one duels.

Yes, that's Garo. It's more Kamen Rider-esque than Sentai-esque. there aren't really any 'mature/adult' oriented Sentai shows, as I believe most are made for a younger audience. I'm really trying to think of good  ones but i'm coming up blank, apologies! I have to admit i'm more of a fan of kamen rider-esque series though.

Sabby

Watched the first 2 episodes of Garo. Very impressed, though trying to follow the viewing order is a bit of a headache. Too many spin offs, and all the official entries have their own ridiculously long names, so there's no clear season to season progression, at least going by the wiki page.

Edit: Wow... Garo is kind of dark.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
The new monsters power isn't some laser or sword, he just makes you brutally honest. He just did it to a group of a dozen young couples and they all just started letting lose all the things they hated about each other and then threw each other onto the curb to kick each others fucking skulls in.

And I thought Kamen Rider was brutal when it showed blood.

Sabby

Jmorty33

I find the scene to be a little bland. The editing in it was a bit more sloppy and fight choreography to be  blander  than what I'm used to seeing in a Kamen Rider or Super Sentai. That could purely be budgetary issues, but still it's a bit lacking.

Sabby

Sabby

Finished season one. This is pretty much Japanese Batman. A rich, emotionally repressed orphan with a devoted butler perches on roof tops all night waiting for The Grudge to show up so he can cut he head off. I really love the variety in monsters as well. Usually these shows just have human sized bipeds, this has some bigger and less human shaped things, like tentacle monsters and giant demons. Granted, it's done with shitty CGI, but I can deal with that.

I remember Kamen Rider Dragon Knight only ever had a non-biped in one episode, and the fight scene was rather short. It was some kind of spider knight I think. This throws one in every few episodes.

Sabby

Sabby

Oniya

If it makes you feel any better, the evidence is pointing to self-defense.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

Jmorty33

Sweet that means he did Jungle Fury! I've been dying to hear his thoughts on that season since I found it rather enjoyable an done of the best recent seasons to date. The lore behind the Rangers was awesome, the characters were well written, and the fighting was pretty sweet.

Sabby

Yukina

Sabby

PravicordiusRex

Oh man, this was a much-needed reminder that there's a whole bunch of Drive for me to watch.

I think it'll be a while before I see the likes of a W or Gaim again, though.