Intrest?

Started by zenpai, June 02, 2014, 12:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenpai

how is it that few to no people are interested in any of my topics?
I heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Life seems harsh, and cruel. Says he feels all alone in threatening world. Doctor says: "Treatment is simple. The great clown - Pagliacci - is in town. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. "But doctor..." he says "I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

Rorschach's Journal. October 12th, 1985: Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."

Kye

Looking through your threads I noticed that you don't have an ons and offs thread and your role playing  preferences are sparse with no personal touches.  My suggestion would be to make a thread and flesh out the information your partners can look at to learn more about you as a potential partner.  I obviously don't speak for everyone, but I won't consider writing with someone if I can't get a feel for them.

Aislinn

I agree with Kyrsa's comment however keep in mind that it sometimes does take awhile to find the right partner for a certain story.

I would start by looking through the O/O threads that other members have created and use them as a bit of template to create your own. I know that it can be a daunting task but it is worth the time. As Kyrsa suggested, fleshing out your personal preferences is a great idea too.

After that, maybe you can start out by approaching other people regarding stories that they have advertised? It may not be -your- stories but you'll be writing and getting your work out there for others to see. It possibly could pique their interest in looking at your threads.

"I am the one thing in life I can control
I am inimitable I am an original
I'm not falling behind or running late
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

zenpai

I have no set on and off. It depends on the story. Their are not a lot of stories that appeal to me. Maybe it just a lost cause. Sorry to bother you all.
I heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Life seems harsh, and cruel. Says he feels all alone in threatening world. Doctor says: "Treatment is simple. The great clown - Pagliacci - is in town. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. "But doctor..." he says "I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

Rorschach's Journal. October 12th, 1985: Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."

Dovel

Greetings zenpai,

I understand it can be very frustrating not to find anyone to write with for a certain RP. Though you should not feel alone in this as many members, myself included, have designed RP that has never gotten a response or reached fruition. Some ideas could take months before seeing any response.

A few things to try would be:

- Updated your On / Off thread to reflect your interests. An On / Off thread can be more than just a basic list of desires. It is a good place to list ideas you may have for RP and it grants other members something to view over when seeking you for RP.

- You may try re-vamping, or re-writing some of your RP ideas. See if there is anything you can add to it to be more appealing. Flesh it out more or enhance the basic plot.

- Be patient. Posting RP requests can sometimes be like selling an item on Ebay. It can be ignored for months but then the right person comes along that has been searching for just that very thing. It just takes time. Myself, I recently came across a RP request someone posted in Sept 2013, that had never been filled. So that RP sat for almost 9 months without any response before finding me. Sometimes things just take time.

- If none of your current requests are finding partners perhaps look at what else is being requested. You may find one you can join that suits your needs for writing. And that may lead to a new RP later if you both find you write well together.

Above all, don't be discouraged. Everything takes time, and you are not alone.
Now we live, tomorrow not
Enjoy your pleasures, lest they rot
Let not them pass this very day
For on the morrow regret may with you stay

jouzinka

In a more tedious way, you can always take an idea and try to pitch it to people you think might be interested in it.

It requires a serious search through people's O&Os, it requires interactions on the forums to stumble upon people you click with and have common interests with, but it is all the more rewarding. :-)
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

zenpai

Wow its hard not to be discouraged. When all I can do is wait

Kye

There was more advice there than just to wait.  A lot of great suggestions in my opinion. 

Rhedyn

I can only echo what others have already suggested particularly with regards to the O/Os. Even something basic that gives an idea of the settings, types of stories and content you enjoy writing is better than nothing. I like to go through a potential writing partners O/Os to get a bit of insight into them as a writer, posting expectations and their writing style.

I also agree with the suggestion to flesh out your ideas a little and add some personal touches. I know from personal experience that I've posted ideas that haven't had any interest only to find one or several people interested in them months sometimes years later when I have revamped the idea.

Blythe

Hey, Zenpai! It can be very frustrating when trying to find a roleplaying partner, but I browsed through your RP requests and read this thread, and I have a few suggestions that might help you gain some interest!

1) You mention not having "set" ons and offs, that those vary from story to story. When you post your request thread, if you don't want to make an O/O, post what Ons you have for that story in your request and what Offs you don't want in the story as well.

2) Tell potential RP partners what kind of posts you are looking for! Do you want long posts, short posts...? Tell them what kind of posts you like to write in your request.

3) Posting rate! Mention how often you can post and how often you would like a partner to post. This can be very important--I know that I myself have been hesitant to contact someone about a roleplay if I don't know how often they'd like me to post.

4) Don't be afraid to go into a little more detail with your request ideas! I see that you have some basic requests, and that's good--it's a good start.  :-) But let's say you are requesting a MxF incest story--perhaps you could talk about what kind of family history you think would be interesting for the family, what direction you think the plot should go in!

5) If you enjoy pictures in roleplay, have you considered posting character pictures to nab a potential RP partner's attention? I know not everyone likes images, but if you do, chances are you'll get the attention of someone else who does if you post some images that support your story idea.

Hope that this advice helps! Good luck to you finding some games!  :-)