Re: What are you listening to right now? (Part 1) (Archive)

Started by Mithlomwen, February 10, 2009, 03:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prototype

The puritan filth, where ivy grows
The poisoned tear, the thorn, the rose
The sin, the pleasure, the sexual urge
Is what I choose for my last dirge

Samantha

I am listening to my entire playlist on random, currently its playing Katy Perry's Waking Up in Vegas....
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love... and to be loved in return. ~Moulin Rouge~

~Ons and Offs~
 Here is the link to my O/O thread please take a look if you're interested in writing with me. I will say that long-lasting role plays are my favorite, and romances.

If you are interested in roleplaying, please send me a private message so we can chat more!

I look forward to hearing from you!

[/url]

Salamander

Some more classic punk. For an old fogey like myself, what passes for punk these days is pretty sad stuff. This, on the other hand, is the real thing:

Siouxsie & The Banshees - Love In A Void

DiverseDesires

Quote from: Salamander on December 13, 2010, 05:41:58 AM
Some more classic punk. For an old fogey like myself, what passes for punk these days is pretty sad stuff. This, on the other hand, is the real thing:

That brings back memories of Acklam hall, and under the Westway in London, ladbrook grove and the energy, madness and politically passionate music back then - thanks for that.

Nickelback-If today was your last day

Nickelback-If today was your last day lyrics
"The imagination is the spur of delights… all depends upon it, it is the mainspring of everything; now, is it not by means of the imagination one knows joy? Is it not of the imagination that the sharpest pleasures arise?" ~Marquis de Sade~

Imaginings  ~  Desirables  ~  Wilful Words  ~  Diary - A/A  Updated September 15th

Prototype

Salamander

Quote from: DiverseDesires on December 13, 2010, 06:08:00 AM
That brings back memories of Acklam hall, and under the Westway in London, ladbrook grove and the energy, madness and politically passionate music back then - thanks for that.

You're welcome.  :-)

The late 70s/ early 80s was one of the great periods for popular music. There was plenty of very bad music around then (there always is), but an awful lot of creative, passionate and original music too. There really hasn't been anything like that explosion of musical creativity since- not that I've noticed, anyway.

Some of my favourite music from the period came out of the fusion of punk and reggae. Here's the New Age Steppers, with the incomparable Ari Up on vocals:

The New Age Steppers - Fade Away

RIP Ari.

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

DiverseDesires

Quote from: Salamander on December 13, 2010, 07:26:56 AM
You're welcome.  :-)

The late 70s/ early 80s was one of the great periods for popular music. There was plenty of very bad music around then (there always is), but an awful lot of creative, passionate and original music too. There really hasn't been anything like that explosion of musical creativity since- not that I've noticed, anyway.

Some of my favourite music from the period came out of the fusion of punk and reggae. Here's the New Age Steppers, with the incomparable Ari Up on vocals:  RIP Ari. 

Not a huge fan of so much sampling but their heavy base line was good. 

With reggae fusion bringing out the greats like UB40 and The Police, no one could argue with you there. And I think if we are talking about Punk, Reggae (Hammersmith Palais Oh Yeah!) we have to lead onto some Ska don't you think?  ;)

The Specials - Too Much Too Young

The Specials - Too Much Too Young
"The imagination is the spur of delights… all depends upon it, it is the mainspring of everything; now, is it not by means of the imagination one knows joy? Is it not of the imagination that the sharpest pleasures arise?" ~Marquis de Sade~

Imaginings  ~  Desirables  ~  Wilful Words  ~  Diary - A/A  Updated September 15th

Salamander

Quote from: DiverseDesires on December 13, 2010, 10:46:53 AM

With reggae fusion bringing out the greats like UB40 and The Police, no one could argue with you there. And I think if we are talking about Punk, Reggae (Hammersmith Palais Oh Yeah!) we have to lead onto some Ska don't you think?  ;)

I was never a fan of UB40 or most of the Two Tone stuff- all a bit too mainstream for me. The Specials were definitely the pick of the Two Tone bands though, and that one brought back some memories. Thanks.

Meanwhile, interesting music was coming out of Manchester, notably Joy Division...

Joy Division -Love Will Tear Us Apart ( Album Version) - 1980

Chaosengine

Wyrd

Ragtime Dandies!

CaringGuy

Salamander

Pink Floyd's early stuff- the psychedelia, basically- is wonderful. Don't like anything after Meddle very much though, and to be honest its only the first two albums that I like a lot. Here's Astronomy Domine from Piper at the Gates of Dawn:

Pink Floyd - Astronomy Domine

Parlabane

Bubbles

A/AO/O's
No more RP's.I am swamped for now.

Prototype

Salamander

Here's another piece of vintage psychedelia, which also happens to be from a soundtrack (for a film called Deep End, which I haven't seen).

Can - Mother Sky

DiverseDesires

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Chaosengine

Skye

.snaps fingers, bounces, might whip her hair back and forth TOO..

TOOT IT AND BOOT IT
[tr][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]

Inkidu

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Prototype

Chaosengine

Obsidian Isolabella