News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Most recommended FPS games?

Started by Skynet, August 01, 2014, 09:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skynet

A lot of times a common criticism I hear about the first-person shooter genre is being too monocolored (brown terrain everywhere), aping Call of Duty, and monotonous gameplay.

I do not know how genuine these comments are, although I've been considering checking out a few games.  I've played the Mass Effect series (and love it), although it's more an FPS/RPG hybrid.  I already own Half-Life 2 and Portal, and loved them both.

I've tried Call of Duty before, although I did not enjoy the gameplay in either single or multi-player.  If I don't like CoD, then would a lot of FPS games on the market be a bad deal for me?

How about Gears of War?  It seems to fit a lot of the cliche tropes, although I remember enjoying the original back in 2006.  How's the latest one, Judgment?

Halo I pretty much played more than I ever could, and won't be getting back into that anytime soon.

A lot of folks recommend Spec Ops: The Line for subverting the genre in particularly horrifying ways, although I heard the gameplay's lackluster.

Metro series?

Battlefield?

What are people's experiences?

Sabby

Depends on what you want. If you'd like a half hour of stress relief, try Painkiller: Hell and Damnation. It just drops you in an area and then a few thousand monsters come at you and you just blow their limbs off 20 at a time.

Or, if you'd like something a little more intricate that rewards precision and reflexes, try Rage. That's one of my personal favourite games. Most enemies are a genuine threat on their own, being very mobile and intelligent, yet are easily taken down, so you spend most of your fights dashing from cover to cover and responding quickly to enemies flanking you, sometimes by wall running and trying to lodge an axe in your face. Most successful shots effect them pretty heavily, so it's easy to graze someone with a shotgun blast and then circle strafe out of cover to finish them off before they can crawl back up on their feet and respond.

Hemingway

Wolfenstein: The New Order is an excellent game. I want to get that one out of the way right away.

If you're looking to avoid the colors brown and brown-green, let's see ... Far Cry 3, obviously. Crysis is excellent, even if Crysis 3 disappointed me. Titanfall has a lot of color - and is a generally good game. It might not be for you if you're not into Call of Duty, though.

Battlefield is my preferred online shooter. Hardline looks absolutely pointless, though. ( The same with the upcoming Destiny, too - it's like they deliberately tried to make the game as generic as possible! )

Sasquatch421

If you want some color you can always give the Borderlands a try. You can also set up the characters how you want them, and there are some RPG qualities to it as your character levels up. Bulletstorm offers a lot of fun as you rack up points to use to buy upgrades and the character talk is fun to listen to. You also get to control a large T-Rex with attached guns by remote control!

One of my personal favs would be F.E.A.R it's a dark game with excellent A.I. They will try to flank you or even set up cover if caught in the open by overturning table or cabinets. Then of course you add in Alma and everything goes up a notch. The later games aren't as good, but do expand on the story if you look for it. The first game you learn more by listening to phone messages and files you find. Quake 4 is also a game I like or you can find the Doom BFG edition.

If you are with your buddies Left 4 Dead is fun or go Unreal Tournament....

Inkidu

Some of those you've named aren't first person shooters, but my recommendations:

Bulletstrom
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Since you like third-person shooters too try Resident Evil 5 and 6. You don't really have to know the series to appreciate the plots.
Halo Reach
Spec Ops: The Line (another third-person shooter), everyone needs to play that game. If I ran a gaming school it'd be required reading.
Doom 3 might be fun for an old-school kick.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Formless

If you're looking for a single player experience , The suggestions everyone made so far are great.

However if you're looking for a multiplayer experience , I'd suggest a main stream game solely for the population the game has. Call of Duty ( My own personal favorite ) Isn't as pleasant anymore , unless you've got your own group to play with.

Battlefield on the new generation of consoles is fantastic , but rather dull compared to games like call of duty and borderlands since it is less action based and more strategic ... in a sense.

However , I'd suggest giving Call of Duty Ghosts a try. But not for the multiplayer or the Single player. But for the Extinction mode. I have to say that it is the best addition to the series they ever added. The story is engaging , but here's the downside of it. You'll have to purchase the DLC in order to have more maps for Extinction and continue the story. But the gameplay is very engaging. Some compare it to zombies in previous installments. But its not really a survival game as much as a mission you'll have to complete.

Though I may suggest ' Sniper Elite '  as well , though I admit that it requires much more patience than I have recently.

You've got bioshock as well.

HairyHeretic

Planetside 2. There's nothing else like it.

Hundreds of other players across 3 factions, infantry, air and vehicle combat. It helps to run with an organised group, but once you get an idea of what you're doing, you can solo quite nicely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clcbFOGhxMA

It's free to download and free to play.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Mikem

You say you've overplayed Halo. Do you mean the ENTIRE Halo series or just Combat Evolved? Honestly, if you have or will get an Xbox One, get the new Halo: The Master Chief Collection set. Halo, Halo 2, and Halo 3 remastered with current day graphics.

I've never played Metro, but I've seen the gameplay. It caters more to the Horror or jump scare crowd, however you should find the Review done by DasBoSchitt on youtube, he really focuses on the really bad aspects of that game.

Battlefield. If you want a Battlefield game that has a pretty great Singleplayer, then buy Bad Company and Bad Company 2. Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4 had shitty singleplayer campaigns. People only play them for the multiplayer anyway, even though I never touch multiplayer. Still though, the two BF: Bad Company's are HIGHLY recommended.

Spec Ops: The Line is also recommended. The gameplay is decent enough but the real focus is on the story and how much of a mindfuk it is. And the "enemy" is a United States Army Battalion. Go figure.

And like Hairy said before me, Planetside 2 is a pretty damn good massively multiplayer first person shooter. However because that it's free to play, it is HEAVILY pay to win. If you don't put money into the game you'll find yourself being just obliterated. A lot. Still doesn't mean you can't enjoy most of it anyway.

If you want something a little different with a decent narrative, try Splinter Cell: Conviction. REALLY interesting game, though it's not an FPS, it's a Third Person over the shoulder shooter, though I'm sure you knew that.

And I just need to ask. You said you played Call of Duty and didn't really enjoy it. I'm assuming it was the more recent games, like the Modern Warfare series? Why not try the pre MW games. The early ones set in World War 2 like the original Call of Duty, it's expansions, and Call of Duty 2.
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. So why not take the scenic route?"

My Ons & Offs

Nachtmahr

Well, as most people here have already pointed out it's sort of all about genre really. FPS in itself is more a concept than a class of games. :P I mean, hell, Spyro: Year of the Dragon has FPS elements in it.

Some of my absolute favorites that I'd recommend to anyone at any times are:

Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Crysis / Crysis 2.
Half-Life, if you like classics, or Half-Life 2, which in my opinion is the best video game to date.

And if you'll allow me to get a little abstract: The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim.

I know, I know. That doesn't make sense right? Well, it does if you play through it using a bow and arrows, which happens to be my preferred playstyle. I find the combat in Skyrim, and any other Elder Scrolls game for that matter, to be rather bland and dull, with 'click for swing one, or click for swing two' being a rather unintuitive system - But the bow mechanics on the other hand are great! And Skyrim just might have the most satisfying Crossbow gameplay in any game to date.
Of course you can't avoid swinging a sword every now and again - But most FPS games have some kind of melee-element to it.

And just to throw my 2-cents at Mikem: I'd definitely not recommend Plantside 2 to anyone unless they're specifically looking for an MMO. If you're European, you're going to run into a ton of issues just getting the game to run, and then comes the fact that you're pretty much just a waste of flesh if you're not paying. And then comes the issue that's the main selling point of Planetside 2: 1000 V. 1000 person battles? AZZUM!
And yes.. Yes, in theory! However, 75% of your time will be spent doing skirmishes that involve perhaps 5 people tops, desperately trying to find each other in huge bases. Not all that entertaining.
~Await the Dawn With Her Kiss of Redemption, My Firebird!~
~You Were the Queen of the Souls of Man Before There Was the Word~

Nachtmahr

Oh, and I even completely forgot to mention Enemy Front, a newly released current-gen WW2 shooter taking place in Poland. It's pretty much the first really polished WW2 based FPS to come out in years, if you bar all the fantasy-based ones, like the new Wolfenstein. (Which is actually great too, if you like that kind of Painkiller-style mowing down of enemies with really, really big guns.)

Inkidu

Be warned though, Half-Life 2 has not aged well mechanically or systemically at all. It has a fairly archaic feel to it and is a good demonstration of how far shooters have actually come.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

scribus1000

If you're a fan of DOOM, then what might interest you is a mod that's been done for it called brutal doom. Though there's more than one mod and more than one version of a mod as well. I've seen a COD crossover even.

The below is one such iteration: I'm gonna say 2:40 is my favorite bit of that. Though the exploding barrels before that and the ninja kick immediately after both deserve mention. Putting aside the music--Nothing wrong with it, just not my preference--the compilation looks pretty good to me.

http://youtu.be/iZ9WrEzyq3o
I have taken the Oath of the Drake for Group RPs.
My Ons & Offs (Updated 6/3/2022) and Ideas are here.

The Peak Elliquiy Experience™:
Quote from: roulette on March 15, 2014, 06:59:18 PM"What? Ewww... Well, maybe... actually." -adds to own O&Os-

Lux12

I'd say try Far Cry 3 or Bulletstorm. Far Cry 3 allows for some truly interesting approaches to combat situations. Similarly, Bulletstorm encourages one to be creative with their destruction and it may be a bit crass, but I'll be damned if it's not fun as hell.

Sabby

In defense of Half Life 2 and it's expansions, yes, it does feel a bit dated, but it's designed far better then most modern shooters. Every scenario has some unique twist to it, so every time you enter a new 'level' your learning a whole new game again. It's never a slog from one end of a hallway to another shooting bad guys.

Oh no, I'm stuck in a big house with lots of halls and windows and levels and enemies are breaching, there's no where I can hunker down and camp to take them as they come! What a well designed home invasion level! I wonder how many times they repeat this? Never! Because now you're controlling giant insects to help you advance over enemy fortifications! Gee, this is such a cool gimmick they might use it for the whole game! Nope, now you need to take down giant robots who are advancing on your base, but the only weapon that kills them is close range, and they're surrounded by enemies that negate the weapon! Quick, get in your car! Oh no, your out of ammo, search the houses, be quick, they're so close!

Half Life 2 is one of the greatest most well designed shooters ever created.

Mikem

Oh oh oh!

If you're going to play the original Half-Life, get Black Mesa, the Source Engine remake. It is absolutely fantastic and stays true to the original. It's completely free and only requires the Source SDK download to function. You won't regret it. It's just beautiful.
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. So why not take the scenic route?"

My Ons & Offs

Formless

Half Life 2 , was so remarkable , it is considered an ' era defining game '.

Inkidu

I'm not saying it's not worth playing, but there has been a lot of stuff done in shooters since, and for the better.

Formless

A game is worth playing for the content in it , itself.

Modern games and classic games are fun in their own way.

Half Life 2 was good during the time it was released within.

Inkidu

Quote from: Formless on August 03, 2014, 08:44:02 PM
A game is worth playing for the content in it , itself.

Modern games and classic games are fun in their own way.

Half Life 2 was good during the time it was released within.
Mechanics and systems are part of the game itself and inform how it's played. So they're important. Things change, but yes it's worth playing.

EDIT: Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light.

Great, detailed shooters.

Nachtmahr

Quote from: Inkidu on August 03, 2014, 08:53:56 PM
Mechanics and systems are part of the game itself and inform how it's played. So they're important. Things change, but yes it's worth playing.

EDIT: Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light.

Great, detailed shooters.

I actually completely disagree with you. I think Half-Life 2 still holds up well today - I really don't see what aspects of it haven't aged well or look/feel archaic. :P In fact, it's even fairly innovative compared to most modern shooters, which in my opinion often feel and handle worse than it. ^^'

As for Metro: I still disagree. :P I've given it about and hour and a half and it just seems like the most dull game released in half a decade. ^^'
It's really pretty, and that's about all it's got going for it. The rest feels really generic, and it's pretty damn annoying how one enemy will go down in 2 shots, and another will take just about 600 bullets without a care in the world!

That, and then the voice acting is just painful to sit through. For whatever reason, everyone in Russia decided that following the apocalypse they'd stop speaking in Russian and just go for the beloved 'English with an entire apple caught in your throat'-accent.
I actually ended up just doing an Alt-F4 when this child started talking to me about spankings. It was just sooo bad. ._.

Edit: Upon further investigation you can actually set the in-game language to proper Russian, and enable subtitles. However, whereas in games like Skyrim and such you will subtitles on everything around you, here you will only get things said directly into your face translated, meaning that you will miss pretty much everything going on around you if you don't speak Russian.
I don't - So now it's bearable to listen to people talking around me, however I've got absolutely no clue what's going on.

HairyHeretic

Not entirely sure if you'd consider them FPS games, but both Mechwarrior Online and World of Tanks are quite fun as well.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Alsheriam

A/A

Sabby

A generally unknown shooter is Clive Barkers Undying. It's a far more varied and cinematic shooter then you'd expect from 2001. Plays pretty fast as well. You're basically a paranormal detective stuck in a mansion filled with cursed inhabitants. You have traditional weapons and steadily learn magic attacks, like resurrecting any bodies that still have all their limbs attached and throwing exploding skulls.

My favourite spell forces them to commit suicide :3

Inkidu

Has anyone mentioned Bioshock? Because you know, Bioshock

The second isn't nearly as good as the first, and Infinite is very good, but I think in general Bioshock runs into brand problems. They do things because that's what you expect in a Bioshock game. :|

Still, definitely worth a play.

Nachtmahr

Quote from: Inkidu on August 06, 2014, 08:45:00 AM
Has anyone mentioned Bioshock? Because you know, Bioshock

The second isn't nearly as good as the first, and Infinite is very good, but I think in general Bioshock runs into brand problems. They do things because that's what you expect in a Bioshock game. :|

Still, definitely worth a play.

I completely agree - After the first one they sort of did a lot of things that felt a bit forced, because hey: Bioshock is Bioshock! And they sort of hold back a bit in some parts in my opinion, because they don't want to risk wandering too far away from the original concept. All in all though they're great games for what they are, even if I think they can get a bit too grindy at times. Like, they sort of try and duplicate that Fallout 3/New Vegas feel of combat being weird, but rewarding, except they don't really have any rewards.

I would recommend playing them on higher difficulties though, because for me the most interesting and exciting aspect of the games are definitely the whole magic VS. guns with limited ammo and what not. On easier difficulties you sort of miss out on the whole 'Shit, I'm out of ammo for everything' aspect.