Jaeger Rising - A Pacific Rim interest check

Started by Primarch, July 24, 2013, 12:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revenent

Can I make a suggestion at this point? I don't think we should have to stick by the canon timeline if it's to the detriment of the RP's enjoyability. I say we just take history from the point we choose and leave everything that comes after completely open as an alternate universe/What If scenario. That way we can have major, situation-changing events without having to worry about conflicting with canon.

Ember Star

Quote from: Revenent on July 30, 2013, 04:57:40 PM
Can I make a suggestion at this point? I don't think we should have to stick by the canon timeline if it's to the detriment of the RP's enjoyability. I say we just take history from the point we choose and leave everything that comes after completely open as an alternate universe/What If scenario. That way we can have major, situation-changing events without having to worry about conflicting with canon.
I agree. I always prefer doing fandom RPs as AU
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

TheGlyphstone

That's sort of a given, since we're used Fan-Jaegers that didn't exist in the original timeline to begin with. We've already broken from said canon timeline at that point, and Primarch had originally picked a good point that wasn't central to any future events....the Kaiju are still appearing at wide-spaced enough intervals to not be overwhelming, the Kaiju Wall hasn't even been started yet. So we're entirely free to make our own stomping grounds without gluing to any of the above (aside from maybe the increased attack speed, but at our point in history it'll still take a few years for the effect to be noticeable, and I doubt the RP will last that long).

Revenent

True, but we're very limited in having to avoid things like category 4 or 5 kaiju or any sort of event that effects the rift (or whatever they called it). I'm saying we should just have full artistic freedom if we feel it would improve the RP.

TheGlyphstone

Not necessarily that limited - we can give ourselves as much artistic freedom as we want, it's certainly easy enough to justify. Maybe, instead of a Category 3 attack, the Kaiju Masters mix it up and throw a double-event of Category 2 Kaijus. It never happened in canon, but it's a deviation that still echoes the spirit of the canon (attacks get more powerful/frequent as time goes on). And it gives 4 PCs the spotlight instead of 2. Stuff like that - there's plenty of wiggle room to find a middle ground between slavish adherence to the canon and throwing everything out the window. We just need to find it.

I'm with Glyph - Primarch already gave us a perfect point from which to launch into practically any scenario we prefer. If we get too loose with it, or go back too far, we run the definite risk of falling into a new setting entirely, and somewhat defeating the point of having it be Pacific Rim at all. It needs to stay recognizable.

Primarch

Quote from: evangel on July 30, 2013, 04:28:39 PM
Definitely could use those. Also, if I'm gonna do this then I'm going to drop out of the Ranger position. Maybe I'll make an NPC Jaeger but sorry, Darkcide! We'll find you another partner. Should I make a new topic or is it possible to transfer control over to me? I wouldn't mind making new recruiting/OOC/character application forum topics if only not to bother Primarch.

Quote from: Karma on July 30, 2013, 04:31:21 PM
Yeah, you should. Having to go through him to edit top posts would get old real quick, believe me.

I can copy the contents on the threads and PM them to someone with the code for ease. Least I can do for leaving you guys high and dry.

Yukina

Revenent

Quote from: Karma on July 30, 2013, 05:36:40 PM
I'm with Glyph - Primarch already gave us a perfect point from which to launch into practically any scenario we prefer. If we get too loose with it, or go back too far, we run the definite risk of falling into a new setting entirely, and somewhat defeating the point of having it be Pacific Rim at all. It needs to stay recognizable.

Not really, in my opinion. Having a Category 4 kaiju appear now instead of in several years isn't going to make it not Pacific Rim.

As I understood it, the game would progress from the high point of the Jaeger program, but from then on would not hold to the established continuity. We can already choose our direction. What more control do you want over the story?

Ember Star

I think this conversation has taken a route of misunderstanding. 

What Rev meant (or at least what I think he meant when I agreed with him) was not that we should totally divert from Pacific Rim but like when we were worried about cannon interference (future and past) with what base we pick. That we don't have to keep the series of events completely cannon. I.E: Maybe the Marshall doesn't manage to pilot alone. Maybe he never has a needs to or maybe he dies. That kind of stuff. Make the story our own, don't follow cannon plot points exactly.
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

I mean, there's not a whole lot of canon to consider in the first place, so... *laughs* I apologize if I contributed to misunderstanding.

Ember Star

Quote from: Karma on July 30, 2013, 06:18:59 PM
I mean, there's not a whole lot of canon to consider in the first place, so... *laughs* I apologize if I contributed to misunderstanding.
True. There's not. Especially given the time period in which we're starting. Which is kinda my point in not worrying about following it exactly.

I guess my question is what changes even need to be made in the first place? There's so little that I can imagine having to fiddle with, which is why I was concerned about the scope of whatever changes you're considering. Most changes made would end up being pretty major.

TheGlyphstone

Pretty much, which is why I was in favor of leaving anything pre-game start untouched and opening the future up to a blank slate, or as close to a blank slate as we can keep it. There is almost no canon to alter between 2018 when we would be playing, and 2024, when the movie takes place. About the only thing that could potentially be canon-breaking is the fate of the original Gipsy Danger, and even that is 2 years from now, so even assuming we get to that point, we'd be so far into our AU that altering those events wouldn't be a problem at all.

Ember Star

Quote from: Karma on July 30, 2013, 06:21:54 PM
I guess my question is what changes even need to be made in the first place? There's so little that I can imagine having to fiddle with, which is why I was concerned about the scope of whatever changes you're considering. Most changes made would end up being pretty major.
Not changes so much. But moreover not worrying about keeping it exact or having to actually incorporat cannon plot points into our story line. Either we do or we don't, but we make it our own and set it as AU (alternate universe)
Quote from: TheGlyphstone on July 30, 2013, 06:31:45 PM
Pretty much, which is why I was in favor of leaving anything pre-game start untouched and opening the future up to a blank slate, or as close to a blank slate as we can keep it. There is almost no canon to alter between 2018 when we would be playing, and 2024, when the movie takes place. About the only thing that could potentially be canon-breaking is the fate of the original Gipsy Danger, and even that is 2 years from now, so even assuming we get to that point, we'd be so far into our AU that altering those events wouldn't be a problem at all.
Exactly! :)

Revenent

The main thing I'm talking about is whether we maintain that no category 4s have appeared you, no double-events have occurred, and, should we decide to go so far, no operations to close the rift have been successful. I don't mean we have to alter things about canon characters, just alter things they said haven't happened yet to keep it interesting.

Darkcide

Hey, I've given it some thought and I am going to drop. I need to play catch up on here as it is, and I don't want to potentially hold up the game. I do apologize, and I hope this game is a rousing success!

evangel

This is something I've been mulling around. We're going to stock Tokyo with about four Jaegers or so, and what I was worrying about is keeping the stakes high and letting people participate as much as they want. Trust me, I want a good fight as much as everyone else.  8-)

Also Primarch, the topic codes would be friggin' fantastic. Will you be dropping out of the game as a whole? I'm going to reorganize the roster ASAP and see who's staying in.

Could also consider regular invasions of small kaiju. It would require regular patrols and be a strong reason to keep so many jaegers active.

Primarch

Quote from: evangel on July 30, 2013, 09:22:11 PM
Also Primarch, the topic codes would be friggin' fantastic. Will you be dropping out of the game as a whole? I'm going to reorganize the roster ASAP and see who's staying in.

I'll stick around, I've had time to process since my news yesterday and damage control has been performed. In other words if you need another GM to assist I'd be very willing to get back on board. Wouldn't want to run the game myself, but sharing the neural load works as well for GM's as it does Rangers.

On an unrelated note, Glyph & I have our Jaeger pretty much thought up and character apps should be soon to follow.

I'm thinking of Athena having a personal mech, but more along the lines of power armor than a Jaeger. No drift, much smaller, etc

TheGlyphstone

What exactly is the GM(s)'s role in this game, anyways? We're designing our own characters/mechs, we'll be playing the Kaiju opposite each other's mechs, there isn't really any defined story or plot that we won't be agreeing on collectively anyways...