Left 4 Dead Game - Interest Check

Started by Insight, January 10, 2010, 12:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Insight

So one of my favorite games of all time is the Left 4 Dead series (it's a series if there's two, right?) and I can't help but think it could make a very fun game. The idea is thus:

Four players would start separately and meet up soon. This would probably consist of three guys and two girls, but I'm open to changes. They would have to travel through a zombie-infested nightmare to get to some kind of relative safety. For now I'll GM, but I'm open to people who want to give it a try, if they'd like.

The difference between this and the actual video game is that there can be real dialog; downtime between hordes of flesh-eating zombies for the group to do things like eat, sleep and all those other activities that make us human.  ;) We could even throw in internal conflict at the group level to make it more fun. If there's enough interest I'll see what I can do about making a map for the players to navigate.

Anyone interested in this? I'm eager to find out!
"I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am"

My Desires: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=159468.0

On and Off Thread

Gravik

This sounds fun. I just happened to get Left 4 Dead 2 not too long ago. :P

Lithos

The elements are in game allready and it has been done x.x

Loved that game, might be interesting idea.

Left 4 Bed
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Lyrus

TIS NEITHER RAPE NOR ABUSE
IF YOU ENJOY IT

My Ons & Offs
My Desires
Ambitious Group Roleplay!

Odin

Quote from: bradten on January 10, 2010, 12:28:40 PM
Four players would start separately and meet up soon. This would probably consist of three guys and two girls, but I'm open to changes.

Four or five players? Sorry, confusing...

Anyway. Yeah, I'd join if there was an open slot.

Rachubka

Interested if it's more situationy than system...y.

Spell

Would join no matter if it was system based or not.
Darling,
What is going on...
Honestly that never happened,
Lying is your favorite passion...

Insight

Well it looks like we have some interest. Awesome!

To answer the first question, it'll be four 'players' and a GM, so five in total. As I don't see anyone jumping up and down for the GM spot, I guess it falls to me. Happy days ahead, boys and girls. Happy days.

It won't be system based. That's my job. I'm not sure how I'll work out elements such as medpacks, pills, what have you, but the goal here is to bring a more realistic environment to the game. Ten round of friendly fire to the face will, generally, kill the recipient and I'm not sure how I feel about bashing zombies with gunstocks while reloading. I'm looking for some intelligence and strategy on the part of the survivors when the horde comes a'knockin.

As for players, I might give it another day to see who's really, really into it. Rachubka, you can move to the front of the class because females are always welcome. Those of you who still are showing interest, go ahead and PM me with some character ideas. Please do not post character bios on this thread. I'd like to see some contrast and internal dynamics between characters.

Character sheet: (Tentative. Feel free to add what you think is appropriate)
--------------------------------------------------------------
Name:
Played by:
Physical appearance. Pictures are welcome:

Job before the zombies, or other relevant experience:
Combat training, experience with weapons (if any):
Other notes:
-----------------------------------------------

Very basic, so I hope to see some detail! I'll see what I can do about creating a map, unless the popular vote is to use a pre-existing one from the game itself.

Happy hunting!

On and Off Thread

Rachubka

Whoo! I love being at the front of the class. Will PM you a bio shortly! Gonna use a recycled character since I never got to use her that much. Sadful.

Keikai Kami

I'd be happy to join as well, if all the spots aren't already taken.

Gravik

Rachubka

Name: Michelle 'Chelle' De Vries

Appearance: Always into sports, namely soccer, Michelle has the typical frame of an athlete. Her body is lithe and small, with not a whole lot in the chest department to speak of. Her years of training and playing have chiseled her body into an ideal shape. (34B - 24 - 32) Green eyes, naturally strawberry blonde hair, rather short at 5'2", deceptively gentle features.

Personality: Michelle had been a rather warm spirit before the crisis, if not a bit arrogant considering her love for soccer. That hasn't changed a whole lot since she's been on the run and surviving for the last two years, but now the girl has developed a sort of edge. It's hard for her to trust people right off the bat, as everyone else seems to be looking out for themselves. At times, Michelle gets a little depressed, wondering why she should just bother trying to live in this scary world.

Skills: Before the outbreak, Michelle was known for her studious tendencies, and her skill on the pitch. Her fitness and calculating, analyzing eye carried over, though she has lost the will to really read a textbook. Using the same pistol and other weapons over the last couple of years, she has become proficient enough with them to be comfortable. Can drive, too.

History: Michelle was born into a well-off family; a mother, a father, an older brother and a dog! Settled in Detroit, Michigan, things came easy in her life with no real struggles to speak of. As early as she can remember, she's been strapping cleats to her feet and kicking around spherical objects. She got so good at it, in fact, that a university was willing to pay her way through school if she kept doing it. No complaints there.

Upon moving to New York's Columbia University, her brother decided that she needed a parting gift. This parting gift was a Colt M1911A, a modern model. He said something about the neighbourhoods there being rather... inhospitable. Coming off the streets of Detroit really made her wonder what he could possibly be talking about, but it was already purchased and registered under her name, so no point in denying it.

The soccer starlet had been in university for one year before the outbreak truly made itself known to her and the entire world. At first she had grouped with a few of the girls in her soccer team and some other stragglers, but a few weeks and zombie attacks later, they had all eventually turned. Whether or not she or anyone else had killed them, the images of their deformed, unrecognizable faces and bodies had more or less hardened Michelle. It had given her the will to survive and see the end of this blight, but two years later... she was starting to lose it.

Flaws: Like most other survivors, Michelle doesn't have very much faith in the human race as a whole anymore. Trusting is hard to do. She has also had a diminished will to even try and fight, thinking that this life of 'Bang, dead zombie' is getting old and will not end. Michelle also isn't very good at roughing it, making her times on the road filled with cans and cold. Would rather spend the night in a gas station at the edge of town rather than a safe haven in the middle of nowhere. Not exactly the best idea, but she's still alive, right?

Additional Information: Michelle has a killer right foot, which gave her the captaincy of her soccer team as well as choice free kick and spot kick taker. Playing keep up is something that keeps her sane and she even had a ball in the back of her Honda Accord, until she ran out of gas. Definitely hasn't had sex in awhile, and is not opposed to either gender (Whether that is from her times spent in the girl locker room or just a lack of intimacy lately, she wasn't telling). Oh, and http://theoatmeal.com/comics/zombie_how

Gravik

Quote from: Gravik on January 12, 2010, 11:03:59 PM
Name: Jacob (or Jake) Cooper
Played by: Gravik

With a tall, muscular frame. He can be somewhat arrogant and cocky, which has landed him into quite a lot of trouble in numerous situations.
Job before the zombies, or other relevant experience: 4 years as a Blackwater Operative, Mechanic before hand
Combat training, experience with weapons (if any): Extensive hand-to-hand combat training, as well as many levels of weapons training.
Other notes: (very brief bio). Jake grew up in the San Francisco bay area along with a brother and a sister. He always strived to do well in school. He took primarily all accelerated classes, and was offered a partial scholarship to the University of Washington. After receiving a degree in business, and working part time as a mechanic, it was off to join the marines, and soon enough Blackwater had recruited him.

Brief so far. I'll probably update it later on.

Mathim

Can someone explain how this would differ from any other zombie roleplay, if at all? I might be interested, but only if it wasn't system-based.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Orochimaru

Still need a person? I can play various creatures if need be? L4D kicks ASS!.

Insight

Mathim: Left 4 Dead is an established game with some fairly clear cliches. It won't be system based at all, I assure you, simply done by a GM. If you aren't familiar with the game, I wouldn't recommend it.

Orochimaru: One more guy would make this just about perfect. That said, I need to get started on making a map. Hope I get your character bio soon!

On and Off Thread

Orochimaru

Leonis

Is it too late for me to join!? I'll have a bio prepared by tomorrow!

Leonis

Name: Geoff Friedman
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 170 lbs.
Appearance: Short, dark brown hair with green eyes and a stubbly beard. Most notable clothing includes a tattered, bloodstained labcoat and black-framed glasses, where one corner of the left lens has been damaged.
Background: Dr. Friedman is an accomplished scientist who was earning his Ph.D in theoretical physics when he was sent to work in an underground research facility, and was assigned to study a newly-discovered virus found in a test subject in captivity. During one of his live experiments, the facility's security failsafes malfunctioned and the test subject escaped its prison, going on to infect all of Geoff's colleagues. He barely escaped the facility alive and discovered that the virus he was studying had now become an epidemic. He then began a new field of research: witnessing the effects of weapons when used against the infected.

Carlissa

"Damn kids doing work. Back in my day we worked 18 hours a day and still had time for 12 hours of fun before a solid 8 hours of sleep in 24 hours".

Insight

Hey guys, I'm sorry this is taking so long to get off the ground. To address a few questions that have been asked:

This game is more than likely full, I'm just waiting on one or two bios, then I need to create a map which I will post for everyone to see. While yes, this will be an advantage the survivors in the actual game don't have, it's the best way I can think of to transition smoothly from scene to scene.

There may be a second game made! If you were a little late on the trigger for this one, if we have enough interest I will happily start a second.

If you would like to play, please bear in mind: Experience playing Left 4 Dead is mandatory. Even if it's just a few hours, I'd like players familiar with the cliches of the game.

My current hope is to get this game off the ground by tomorrow, barring any further complications. The OOC thread is up and available here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=58284.0

Enjoy, and keep the bios coming!

On and Off Thread

Carlissa

"Damn kids doing work. Back in my day we worked 18 hours a day and still had time for 12 hours of fun before a solid 8 hours of sleep in 24 hours".

Insight

Carlissa, if you've played the game before and you think you're a good match, you're welcome to submit a character via PM.

On and Off Thread

Orochimaru

I suppose since I have been unable to get a character. I am out right?

Orochimaru

In case I am not late.

Name: Ryan Krokstrom (crook-strum)
Played by:Orochimaru

Job before the zombies, or other relevant experience: Psychologist, and parapsychologist
Combat training, experience with weapons (if any):His is a good sharpshooter as he often hunted in Dickinson County for deer. So, a hunting rifle would be a weapon he's most comfortable with.
Other notes: He is a 31 year old that was born in Iron Mountain, Michigan. He's normally calm, but has a tempter and can be short with people, but that depends on what it is said. He is very opinionated and never afraid to put his thoughts into anything. He is moderately strong for an office worker. Before the breakout. He had a wife and a 10 year old daughter. When the "flu" hit, it turned them both into witches which resulted in him having to kill them both. The memory still haunts him as he now travels to find a way to safety. He's 6 foot 1 inch and weighs a solid 210 pounds.