Pathfinder Skulls and shackles (closed for apps see new thread for second table)

Started by Tamhansen, March 11, 2016, 07:50:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamhansen

Hi guys.

After having been away for a while due to personal stuff, I'm back and finding myself with extra time. I was wondering if there would be any interest in running Pathfinder's pirate campaign Skulls and shackles. Looking for a group of 5 to six daily posters (not enforced too strictly)

Character creation would be very standard
20 point build level 1
No 3pp
Max HP at level 1, then max hp at every level up.
Races: Core and any other Paizo race up to 10 points. (Exceptions can be granted with a good backstory or generous bribery :P)
2 traits, one of which must be a campaign trait. (players guide for the campaign is a free download if you need).  Third trait can be bought with a drawback.
Starting gold is max for your class. (so 300 for fighters, 240 for rogues etc)
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

freeko

Blinkin

I'll put in my interest and call dibs on a swashbuckler. lol
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Chulanowa

Definitely interested. And I think I might actually have a couple concepts to throw into this.

mellowdude

Interested, but not yet sure what as. Probably a full caster of some sort (or maybe a summoner (I'll just focus on the eidolon/buffing/battlefield control and not flood the area with minions if I do) )

Are you running Tamhansen?

Tamhansen

That's the idea yeah. Hopefully get a group maybe two going in the next week or two.
ons and offs

LostSoul

I might be rather interested. Probably wish to be a slayer type.`
"Take another bite/It'll be alright/What's wrong will soon feel right/Dangerous tonight

Take another sip/Let it kiss your lips/And let a little drip on your thighs

If you let me I'll untie your sensuality/I'll open up your heart and satisfy my greed" -A Cooper

Chulanowa

Shoot, I gotta look up what races are 10 points or less now  :-)

Edit: if anypne's curious, I went and looked 'em up (and did calculations on some that didn't have RP listed)
Races with 10 RP or less
Dwarf
Elf
Gnome
Half-Elf
Halfling
Half-Orc
Human
Catfolk
Goblin
Hobgoblin
Ifrit
Kobold
Orc
Oread
Ratfolk
Sylph
Undine
Duergar
Grippli
Vanara
Gnoll
Lizardfolk
Skinwalker
Changeling (8)
Gillmen (6)
Kitsune (9)
Nagaji (7)
Samsaran (9)
Orank-Pendak (8)

Blinkin

I would offer that playing a sea-born race didn't work out for two players in this AP that I know of. Fins and decks didn't work too well it seemed and the constant need to stay wet was more a determent than it really needed to be. So, while there's water all around, actually being in the water didn't seem to of occurred to anyone designing the AP, or at least in the limited exposure that I have had with it.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Tamhansen

AP's are written with core races in mind, hence little underwater adventuring, though there is some swimming involved in every part.
ons and offs

Blinkin

Question.

Can we take a flaw/drawback for an extra trait?
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Tamhansen

ons and offs

mellowdude

Dibs on Wizard with the ship's surgeon trait. With spells like Mending, Infernal Healing, Unseen Servant, Crafter's Fortune, Glue Seal, Jury Rig, Ant Haul, etc. I think a Wizard could do a pretty good job.

Current build idea is Half Elf Exploiter Wizard with the Quick Study exploit (can swap out a prepared spell with a full round action a few times per day) so I can keep combat spells prepared, but swap them out for utility spells at a moment's notice. I'll flesh it out in sheet form soon.

Quote from: Chulanowa on March 11, 2016, 10:54:30 AM
Shoot, I gotta look up what races are 10 points or less now  :-)

Edit: if anypne's curious, I went and looked 'em up (and did calculations on some that didn't have RP listed)
Races with 10 RP or less
Dwarf
Elf
Gnome
Half-Elf
Halfling
Half-Orc
Human
Catfolk
Goblin
Hobgoblin
Ifrit
Kobold
Orc
Oread
Ratfolk
Sylph
Undine
Duergar
Grippli
Vanara
Gnoll
Lizardfolk
Skinwalker
Changeling (8)
Gillmen (6)
Kitsune (9)
Nagaji (7)
Samsaran (9)
Orank-Pendak (8)

Thank you, that was extremely helpful!

freeko

Quote from: Blinkin on March 11, 2016, 01:54:17 PM
Question.

Can we take a flaw/drawback for an extra trait?

The correct answer is yes.

So far my character is Human, and "fights things".

Chulanowa

I'm leaning towards gunslinger (If I can find a good image) or rogue ('Cause... rogues are goddamned easy). Depends on what I find  ;D

Blinkin

Settled on... surprise coming... An Inspired Blade Swashbuckler with the Eye for Plunder trait. I gave him some roguish skills, but if we have an actual rogue who can actually do roguish stuff, I'll alter that aspect.

Usually, no one likes to play rogues, so I've tended to adopt the critical elements like lockpicking and such, but again, happy to let an actual rogue take those task.

spoiler=Harlo Glazer]

Still a work in progress and open to slight changes. A character sheet will come in the near future. The image is, I'm told, reasonably close to the description, so...
Name: Harlo Glazer
Race: Half-Elf
Sex: Male
Class: Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade)

Physical Description:

Standing at a not-unimpressive 5’10, Harlo is a ruggedly handsome figure of a man with slightly curly dark brown hair that usually looks wind-swept. His hair frames a tanned, strong-jawed face that’s dominated by large, deep green eyes under even dark brows. A strong, patrician nose resides above sensual lips that seem to always be ever so slightly curled as if he finds something secretly amusing, although what that might be is forever a mystery to everyone.
A lean, wide-shouldered form is accentuated by well toned, muscular limbs and a broad chest over a tight waist in a V-shape that runs from his shoulders. Narrow hips move with the grace of a dancer… or predator… with each deliberate movement of his legs.

Most often found in loose, comfortable tunics with well fitted leather breaches tucked into thigh high, turned down boots and a coat of contrasting color, He strikes quite a figure wherever he goes. A finely tooled weapons belt with a rapier on the left under an obviously well crafted buckler sits casually about his hips with a sash that matches his tunic. A wide-brimmed, heavily plumed hat completes the image of the dashing fencer before you.

Personality:

Harlo never lacks for something to say, usually witty and perhaps just a little insulting, but that’s usually to his opponents. A fairly happy-go-lucky man, Harlo is everything that a swashbuckler should be, urbane, polite, and loves a good duel. While he might plan to kill a man tomorrow, there’s no reason why he can’t sit down and have a drink with the man for some banter and piffy interchanges the day before. As long as the rules of etiquette are followed, he’ll even buy the drink. But, when the time calls for seriousness… well, he’s probably not the guy to look toward.  He’s not lazy, or doesn’t take things seriously, he just doesn’t want to look like he’s doing so. But, when the decks are awash with blood and the sails are flapping in the dead air, he’s the man you want at your back… Unless you’ve doubled crossed him, in which case, he’s still going to want to be at your back!

That’s not to say that Harlo doesn’t have morals and principles; he has lots of morals and principles and you can rely on him to stick to them… you may not know what they are, but you can be absolutely certain that he’ll follow them.

Background:

The son of moderately prosperous merchants, Harlo was introduced to ships and sails at a young age and never looked back. While he’s at home on land and is perfectly happy to roam the country-side; the salt of the sea is never far from his heart. By the time that he was old enough to set out on his own, he’s gone to sea and rarely looked back.

A naturally gifted talent with a blade, it only took Harlo a few weeks to begin to learn what would become his career with the rapier and buckler. Quick-witted and quick on his feet, the dance of parry and thrust, of flashing blades and the ring of steel on steel drew him as strongly as the feel of deck planks under his feet. As dedicated as he is to his art, he learned the tricks and traits of fancy sword-play until it was engraved into his very bones; a natural extension of his arms. It’s not enough to simply beat a man, but you must do it with style!

Over the months and years, Harlo has seen many of the places where water meets land and a fair amount of the world beyond that boundary, but in his heart, if it’s not within sight of the sea and he hasn’t laid eyes upon it himself, it simply doesn’t exist. A man with a restless soul, it’s not in him to stand still when there’s still things to see, women to experience and places to go.

[/spoiler]
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

freeko

Well, heavily armored Paladins have a minor problem when introduced to water. I have a running joke that Paladins are the only class I have discovered to exist in Pathfinder because I mostly just refuse to play anything else.

I guess I could just forego heavy armor and YOLO it up while still being a Paladin.

I am exploring options, but I plan on fighting things instead of slinging spells.

Actually now that I think about it, I might be able to do a Paladin "Archer" that I guess would be pistols for the purposes of the scenery?

Guess I gotta see where my hallucinations take me later tonight. I'll make sure to get the biggest and cheapest vat of vodka I can find to make sure I get all nice and screwed up to figure out the stats. I never really have a high STR score on my builds to begin with so that part wont be all that big a deal. I could shift into CHR/DEX/CON focus which is not far off from normal since I would go CHR/CON/X.

How much STR does an archer usually have? I need CHR to Paladin, and WIS is pretty much a dump stat along with INT mostly speaking.

Right now I think this could work..

Blinkin

You do know that this is an evil adventure path? Or, at least, as pirates, they'll lean toward evil alignments. That could be a problem for paladins... aside from the sinking characteristics of armor when subjected to planks. ;)

Just for reference, Harlo will be lawful neutral; his own set of morals and principles that'll probably be so screwed up by a vaguely evil tendency that not even he'll understand them.

"Are you calling me a pirate? Good, because that's what I am! No, I never flew the skull and crossed bones, that's for your pictioneers, but I have saught fame and fortune on the seas with no regard for any man's law."
"But that's not to say without morals and principles! Hell, I have morals and principles! I never killed a man who didn't have it coming, I've never raped and I've never pillaged."
--Bully Hazes, "Nate and Hayes"
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Chulanowa

Yeah, the AP specifically calls out paladins as a "tough choice' - 'cause we WILL be murd'rin' and plund'rin,  Y'harr.

Maybe try antipaladin? it's one of the few AP's that they can work in, and there's an archetype that allows for antipaladins with lawful or neutral evil alignments.

freeko

Okay, Paladin and Anti-Paladin are wholly interchangeable and the distinction at least for me between the two is wholly irrelevant. Especially at this stage where I am starting to look into concepts still. I would not stat an Anti-Paladin differently the only change is that I take every instance of Good or Evil and transpose them.

I need to stop feeling like death before I can really concentrate enough on this in the first place. Been sick all week long and today seems to be that day where it really has shown itself with all the coughing and crap. Hopefully it means that tomorrow I should be feeling alot better because it feels like I am at the high point of feeling like death so it should start to level off either tonight or tomorrow.

I still have an idea in mind, and I think it fits the Paladin frame I like to normally use. Being good or evil is irrelevant right now.

RubySlippers

I'm mulling over a LE monk, okay Pirates tend to be chaotic but well they have a structure one could exploit and their own law, and a half-orc monk would be nothing to laugh at on a ship not needing armor and weapons could be as simple as thick gloves to punch in faces with.

Blinkin

Theo The Thief sneaks up behind the monk with a portable ballasta for a sneak attack... ;)

Back in the 90's, when martial arts was at a high point with "kids" and everyone seemed to think that they were Jackie Chan in the making, I continued to tell people that all of that kickin', spinnin' and punchin' will never win against a 12 gauge. Sadly, I knew one of the "kids" who thought that he and his fancy expanding batons were bad ass enough to get into a bar fight... the 12 gauge won.

I do like monkeys; they can be badass when played properly... My rangers usually love them as well because they can turn them into porkupines in realitively short order. ;)
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

freeko

concept

Well thats the fruits of my efforts so far being in the mostly dead state of being that I am with this head cold/sinus infection I have. Probably going to switch out the stabby thing for a shooty thing. As you can see on the image, not so heavy armor.

Tamhansen

Very interesting concepts so far. A bit more lawful than I'm used to in this AP, but that could work.

Hope to see some more folks joining our merry crew, I like a big group for these kind of games
ons and offs

Chulanowa

Don't worry, I'm looking at Neutral / Chaotic neutral / Neutral evil. lawful pirates? Whaaaat?