The Hands of Their Winged Overlords: (DnD 3.5/ NC-E)

Started by Idej, December 21, 2009, 11:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Mnemaxa on December 26, 2009, 07:19:43 AM
I'm idly wondering if the Monastic Training and Talsahtora Adept feats from Ebberon are allowed.  Monastic Trainign allows a second class to be taken as if it were part of the monk's training, allowing for multiclassing for that one class without monk penalties.  Talashtora adept allows a psionic class that the character has monastic training in to continue Flurry of Blows, Wisdom bonus to AC, and Unarmed strike damage to progress as if the monastic training class were equivalent levels of monk (but no other benefits accrue). 

A monk 1/Ardent 7 with Talashtora trainign would have the Unarmed Damage, Ac Bonus from Wisadom (while unarmed) and Flurry of Blows of an 8th level monk.  I was considering an Elan servant fo a lawful gem dragon of one sort or another....either a Sapphire or an Emerald gem dragon....

Hey, I called dibs first on monk char :P. Altough your concept is more a psion than monk but still it means there will be two 'dragon fu' practioners.

Mnemaxa

I was mostly just curious; I wouldn't want to step on anyone's toes, and I just realized the build would also be another blaster as well as a secondary healer, so it would be repetitious in any case.  So, please ignore my question, Idej.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Ryvaken

I wish I had dragooned internet access sooner. A few more days and I'll be back home.

Anyway, before I forget, I have thematic opposition to drow. The world as devised has no Underdark and the closest analody are the caves held by the Sapphire Dragons, who do not abide the vast majority of Underdark dwellers. This was an intentional choice.

Second observation: psionic types should tend from the Gem lands and seas. They are rare among both Metallic and Chromatic.

Third observation: Demonic or Chromatic descendents will need to demonstrate some kind of redemption from their evil heritage before they get within a mile of my ship unless they want to be shown the color of their blood.

Fourth observation: On the early question of power scale, bad question. If the character is going to be fun to RP with, I seriously doubt anyone will care if there needs to be some creative reacessments to make the gameplay more even. Likewise if the character is an overpowered kill-a-lot with no personality, always looking for the next fight, that character may not be welcome. For my part, I know my character to be solidly on the low end of the power scale, but I deliberatly chose a support role I believe to make an interesting character.

...I think I had other observations but I've forgotten them now. Oh yes! I am more than willing to adjust my cohort to fill whatever gap we have...within reason. Being three levels behind (my own level adjustment minus two more for Cohort) kills his effectiveness in certain roles, regardless of his build.
In creativity, meaning.

Idej

Quote from: Relentless Imp on December 26, 2009, 02:19:38 AM
How do you feel about homebrew? Specifically, this race.

Well, I could make my decision if the page would load up for me, so I can't say much about that.  Sorry.

Quote from: Kate on December 26, 2009, 03:01:18 AM
then a demonic futa chick with domme exotic-extreme cult hungry issues it is... (if that is ok with others)

There are plenty of races, templates, and classes that could easily get what you want for what you are talking about. :)

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on December 26, 2009, 05:12:44 AM
No issues with my drow :P.

Anycase I noticed I cannot qualify for ascetic stalker until I have 4th level as monk (as it asks ki strike [magic] as regs), but I do plan get the feat and final monk level needed later. But reason why it should stack with monk PrC is because the feat allows ninja/monk levels stack for unarmed strike dmg and ki strike feature from the monk, and ninja side just increase ki pool. So I thinked as Dragon Descendant improves pretty much all monk aspects (and is 'mystical power' PrC) I find it not unreasonable it would increase ki pool (but not improve ki strike feature as it does not affect that side of the monk). As full build what I had in mind for my drow in 20 level progress would be Ninja 4/Monk 4/Dragon Descendant 10.

Okay sounds reasonable, thanks for explaining yourself. :)  Just let me look at the PrC some more and the feat and I'll get to you later on that.

Zaer Darkwail

Aha, okay. Hmmmm, in that case then I go to the most 'normal' option; a human ninja 2/monk 4/dragon Descendant 2. With dragontouched feat so he has blood of dragons in him but it is very minor. But he has strong spiritual side with his dragon ancestors. In his case of scenario he has blood in both chromatic and metallic dragons in him (mostly chromatic but plan have at least two metallic ancestors from five possible ancestors).

Edit; Ok, I start work on the charsheet once PrC is approved. PrC is in Dragon Magic, pg34.

Kate

i will be a futa demoness - i was tihnking perhaps if there was a picture (happy for others to recommend any) a character could be created to suit it (happy for any to do so who know these rule sets).

Ideally i would like a form another female player (who likes futa) adores.

NobleWolf

Quote from: Ryvaken on December 26, 2009, 05:00:17 PM
I wish I had dragooned internet access sooner. A few more days and I'll be back home.

Anyway, before I forget, I have thematic opposition to drow. The world as devised has no Underdark and the closest analody are the caves held by the Sapphire Dragons, who do not abide the vast majority of Underdark dwellers. This was an intentional choice.

Second observation: psionic types should tend from the Gem lands and seas. They are rare among both Metallic and Chromatic.

Third observation: Demonic or Chromatic descendents will need to demonstrate some kind of redemption from their evil heritage before they get within a mile of my ship unless they want to be shown the color of their blood.

Fourth observation: On the early question of power scale, bad question. If the character is going to be fun to RP with, I seriously doubt anyone will care if there needs to be some creative reacessments to make the gameplay more even. Likewise if the character is an overpowered kill-a-lot with no personality, always looking for the next fight, that character may not be welcome. For my part, I know my character to be solidly on the low end of the power scale, but I deliberatly chose a support role I believe to make an interesting character.

...I think I had other observations but I've forgotten them now. Oh yes! I am more than willing to adjust my cohort to fill whatever gap we have...within reason. Being three levels behind (my own level adjustment minus two more for Cohort) kills his effectiveness in certain roles, regardless of his build.
1: Not a Drizzt fan, I take it?
2: Bloodlines know no borders. This is double true among nobility, since marrying off your son/daughter to a distant noble is commonplace. Also, gem dragons aren't the only sources for psionic ancestry, just a strong one. These are just my observations though.
3: Are we to assume you have the resources and time to meticulously scan each person who walks near your vessel? Well, I'll agree they shouldn't walk about with horns like that villain from legend. It's best to be subtle about such heritage, whether or not you take after them.

Tim Curry is so awesome...
4: Well I really have to agree completely there. It's roleplay before roll playing.

I thought you used ECL to determine the max level of your cohort. That would seem like the fair interpretation, anyway. It says your level -2, not class levels.

Ryvaken

The typical interpretation of "level" in that fashion is character level or HD as appropriate, not ECL. Although in this context ECL is much less likely to devalue the cohort. Besides, I used the LA buyback out of UA. I'm only 2000XP shy of level 8 and my ECL is 7.

1. I have only tangental references to Drizzt. However, I present the following. First, I loathe FR as one of the most horrible settings to ever be concieved from the depths of frothing hell. The sourcebooks should be burned and the authors flogged until they learn not to pull that shit again. Second, renegade Dark Elves are trite. I made a few before I really got into the larger communities and suddenly saw that my neophyte RPing with shallow characters that shame me are among the best that archtype has to offer. Third, the Underdark, while interesting, really has no place in a world where the dragons hold sway. No more than Drow coiuld be found in Khyber beneath Eberron, they should not be in the Sapphire Depths beneath Gem, nor exist beneath the protective Metallics nor the dominating Chomatics.

2. You forget just how fanatical the dragons are, and how territorial. This isn't a civilization built upon human concepts, but one that emulates the draconic. Intermingling between breeds is rare with few exceptions. Intermingling metallic/gem/chromatic? Such a union would have crusades against it by the followers of Bahamut and Tiamat alike. Perhaps devotees of Io could protect the offspring, but such a figure makes a better set piece than a PC -- a living axis of political turmoil.

3. If we form a party of some kind, such abilities will inevitably come out. This was more a warning to the idea of "evil, but lawful so she's not that bad" was going to be keelhauled. Repeatedly, if necessary. I have no plans on being an uncompromising no-tolerance lawful-stupi paladin type, but a character who plans to be blatantly evil does cross the line.
In creativity, meaning.

NobleWolf

Quote from: Ryvaken on December 27, 2009, 12:07:22 AM
The typical interpretation of "level" in that fashion is character level or HD as appropriate, not ECL. Although in this context ECL is much less likely to devalue the cohort. Besides, I used the LA buyback out of UA. I'm only 2000XP shy of level 8 and my ECL is 7.

1. I have only tangental references to Drizzt. However, I present the following. First, I loathe FR as one of the most horrible settings to ever be concieved from the depths of frothing hell. The sourcebooks should be burned and the authors flogged until they learn not to pull that shit again. Second, renegade Dark Elves are trite. I made a few before I really got into the larger communities and suddenly saw that my neophyte RPing with shallow characters that shame me are among the best that archtype has to offer. Third, the Underdark, while interesting, really has no place in a world where the dragons hold sway. No more than Drow coiuld be found in Khyber beneath Eberron, they should not be in the Sapphire Depths beneath Gem, nor exist beneath the protective Metallics nor the dominating Chomatics.

2. You forget just how fanatical the dragons are, and how territorial. This isn't a civilization built upon human concepts, but one that emulates the draconic. Intermingling between breeds is rare with few exceptions. Intermingling metallic/gem/chromatic? Such a union would have crusades against it by the followers of Bahamut and Tiamat alike. Perhaps devotees of Io could protect the offspring, but such a figure makes a better set piece than a PC -- a living axis of political turmoil.

3. If we form a party of some kind, such abilities will inevitably come out. This was more a warning to the idea of "evil, but lawful so she's not that bad" was going to be keelhauled. Repeatedly, if necessary. I have no plans on being an uncompromising no-tolerance lawful-stupi paladin type, but a character who plans to be blatantly evil does cross the line.
1. Kinda harsh, it's just a campaign setting. It didn't burn down your house or anything. At least you didn't have to deal with 4e Faerun.
2. How could I forget something I didn't even know? Last I checked humans were humans, whether or not the person up top has scales. Worlds aren't two-dimensional black and white concepts. Dragons probably have more to worry about than who their human great-great-great-great granddaughter is dating.
3. When you put it that way, it doesn't sound so bad. The showing them their blood when they get within a mile sounded just like some overzealous paladins I've dealt with.

Zaer Darkwail

Hmmm, Ryvaken, I wonder what your PC would feel about with a dragongraced (a plain dragonblood human) who follows path of Dragon Descendant? Also I was wondering to pick draconic template but consider the PrC is mostly chromatic themed. I wonder is it even possible that a golden draconic human could have chromatic ancestors? Results from 'rapes' or perhaps scandalous relationships in distant draconic past.

Or plain half-dragons and draconic human ancestory having rapes and such and result in crossbreeding. I moment thinked to play draconic human with blue scales but then it would create conflict between our chars (and proably any romantic interest to zero vs metalic dragonblood women, even if I am redeemed sort).

Delta Echo

Quote from: Ryvaken on December 26, 2009, 05:00:17 PMAnyway, before I forget, I have thematic opposition to drow. The world as devised has no Underdark and the closest analody are the caves held by the Sapphire Dragons, who do not abide the vast majority of Underdark dwellers. This was an intentional choice.
They could be Eberron-style drow.  ;)
O&O - A&A
Southern Gentleman of the Arcadia Clan.

"When the world is against you, find the passion of love to survive"

NobleWolf

Quote from: Delta Echo on December 27, 2009, 09:06:58 AM
They could be Eberron-style drow.  ;)
Hey, if you want to play a dark elf, go for it I say. With or against the stereotype. I mean, it's just a fantasy world, right?
I'll admit, I don't know much about this fantasy world though.

Idej, Any chance more of this setting will go public? Maybe a run down on recent events and a short regional guide or something? It may inspire some character creation.

Ryvaken

I don't know how much material he will use, but after Idej mentioned this concept I more-or-less invented about half the world subconciously and was rewarded for sharing my efforts (this is how I was able to afford an ocean faring ship). I won't detail that too much since I don't know what he's keeping or modifying, although I do hope the Bronze Reef remains intact. It was fun to develop that. I have a thing for Age of Sail civilizations.

On FR, yes it was harsh. I wanted to convey the depths of my despising of the campaign setting. But more than that, the bleed-through into other settings of FR concepts.

On dragons and humans, this is a political system where draconic ancestry translates into aristocracy. Had I the opportunity to delve into the repercussions of this I would, starting with a redesign of classes involving dragons to better reflect urban, cultured, or civilized characters as appropriate, rather than tribal, outcast, or minority groups as the classes currently represent. Arcane magic should aspire to the sorcerous rather than wizardly ideal, and PrCs such as the Dragon Disciple which apply templates or draconic heritage should be viewed as exaltations of draconic blood by some and usurpations of power by others. I would then continue with the social mores that led me to invent a class of item that enhances claw natural weapons as both a statement in war and peace. The various exchanges within dragonkind and the international relationships would be explored in great detail. This and more I would do gladly, as such a project of designing society appeals to me, but I have not been given leave to do so and it is the DM's purview. So instead, all I do is extrapolate from what I know. The True Dragons are universally described as territorial with varying degrees of ferocity; communication between them largely consisting of meetings between dragons with neighboring territories. Their varying environmental niches make the breeds largely seperate, with most overlapping environs being disinclined to cohabitation, such as the Blue and Brass dragons both seeking deserts. Thus it is improbable by environment to have amiable crossbreeding. The political act of alliance by marriage would not naturally arise from this mold.

The virtues of Bronze are very aligned with Paladin. Protection, duty, fighting the just war, these are all things that the culture embraces. This is modified by age of sail captaincy. Tylya is Master Under God and all that of her ship. Her crew trust her with their lives because she protects them, keeps them safe, fed, and well off. This does lead to a natural hyperawareness, particularly with individuals whose personal power rivals her own. My choice of stating her ship was carefully chosen in that she does not seek out to destroy all the evil in the world, but should it present itself on her ship, it must and will be struck down.

On drow specifically, there was some musing on the drow race being largely enslaved by chromatic masters as menial servants and foodstuffs. I don't think it got anywhere as that was basically a somewhat heavyhanded version of all the "we hate drow" that was being thrown around during worldbuilding and didn't add anything other than making it very clear that we hate drow, and would lead the good drow types to create characters out to rescue their misunderstood and enslaved brethren...which is exactly the kind of thing that makes us hate drow in the first place. I wonder if I missed an opportunity to mention hating drow in this paragraph.
In creativity, meaning.

NobleWolf

That info really helps. I can better grasp such a world now.
I still see a lot of racial mingling, even if its taboo and forbidden. That sorta stuff is commonplace, especially in a fantasy setting. The fact that the half-dragon template can be put on nearly any creature, including animals, is proof enough that dragonkind doesn't mind a little "mingling" now and then.
Drow being slaves to evil dragons sounds plausible to me. If anything their leaders would work for such an overlord. They wouldn't even need to be slaves, really. As long as the higher born Drow revere their tyrannical overlord, the others better just follow suit if they know what's good for them.
And yeah, you got the "I hate drow" and "I hate FR" points across.
What is your take on the "Spawn of Tiamat" found in MM IV? Do these creatures exist in this setting and if so, what sorta roles do they play?

Idej

Quote from: Ryvaken on December 27, 2009, 03:16:35 PM
I don't know how much material he will use, but after Idej mentioned this concept I more-or-less invented about half the world subconciously and was rewarded for sharing my efforts (this is how I was able to afford an ocean faring ship). I won't detail that too much since I don't know what he's keeping or modifying, although I do hope the Bronze Reef remains intact. It was fun to develop that. I have a thing for Age of Sail civilizations.

On FR, yes it was harsh. I wanted to convey the depths of my despising of the campaign setting. But more than that, the bleed-through into other settings of FR concepts.

On dragons and humans, this is a political system where draconic ancestry translates into aristocracy. Had I the opportunity to delve into the repercussions of this I would, starting with a redesign of classes involving dragons to better reflect urban, cultured, or civilized characters as appropriate, rather than tribal, outcast, or minority groups as the classes currently represent. Arcane magic should aspire to the sorcerous rather than wizardly ideal, and PrCs such as the Dragon Disciple which apply templates or draconic heritage should be viewed as exaltations of draconic blood by some and usurpations of power by others. I would then continue with the social mores that led me to invent a class of item that enhances claw natural weapons as both a statement in war and peace. The various exchanges within dragonkind and the international relationships would be explored in great detail. This and more I would do gladly, as such a project of designing society appeals to me, but I have not been given leave to do so and it is the DM's purview. So instead, all I do is extrapolate from what I know. The True Dragons are universally described as territorial with varying degrees of ferocity; communication between them largely consisting of meetings between dragons with neighboring territories. Their varying environmental niches make the breeds largely seperate, with most overlapping environs being disinclined to cohabitation, such as the Blue and Brass dragons both seeking deserts. Thus it is improbable by environment to have amiable crossbreeding. The political act of alliance by marriage would not naturally arise from this mold.

The virtues of Bronze are very aligned with Paladin. Protection, duty, fighting the just war, these are all things that the culture embraces. This is modified by age of sail captaincy. Tylya is Master Under God and all that of her ship. Her crew trust her with their lives because she protects them, keeps them safe, fed, and well off. This does lead to a natural hyperawareness, particularly with individuals whose personal power rivals her own. My choice of stating her ship was carefully chosen in that she does not seek out to destroy all the evil in the world, but should it present itself on her ship, it must and will be struck down.

On drow specifically, there was some musing on the drow race being largely enslaved by chromatic masters as menial servants and foodstuffs. I don't think it got anywhere as that was basically a somewhat heavyhanded version of all the "we hate drow" that was being thrown around during worldbuilding and didn't add anything other than making it very clear that we hate drow, and would lead the good drow types to create characters out to rescue their misunderstood and enslaved brethren...which is exactly the kind of thing that makes us hate drow in the first place. I wonder if I missed an opportunity to mention hating drow in this paragraph.

Yes it is true Ryvaken did quite a bit.  I haven't said too much besides what I have said mainly due to the fact that for one, I did not want to make an error in what Ryvaken has said and cause problems that way.

Two is the fact that I got a little busy with a few after holiday events and so things were a bit hectic.

Three, I knew Ryv was going away for the holidays and I did wish to infringe upon his work and to use something and then make a mistranslation without him being there to correct that flaw or to not be there for immediate defense.  I was trying to use courtesy on that one.

Now that, it appears people are thirsty for information I shall get that info. out to all of you to better help everyone.

Ryvaken

I should be home in 22-23 hours from now. Assuming the Christmas unpleasentness hasn't made the airports so jumpy that I have insufficient sources of ID, in which case I will get a train ticket instead and be home Thursday at the earliest. But I find that unlikely in the extreme.

Idej, I am touched. Seriously. I wish I had remembered to grab my copy of Dragon Magic for reference, but I'll jot together what notes I can. The past few days have been idle and my mind is refreshed and eager to engage in such a thought puzzle. Expect PMs soonish.

On the Spawn of Tiamat, and others of their ilk, that would be Idej's call. If present, they would probably represent either a recent upset to the current political and military situation, or they would be cast as sacred beasts and lords in the Chromatic lands.
My view of the world as I wrote the parts I did was one where the Good vs Evil fighting was something of a cold war, with the Bronze, Topaz, and Green Fleets engaging more in trade than warfare and other contact infrequent at best, save for what we would term terrorist actions on both sides. This semistable atmosphere is ripe for the DM to insert any conflict, be it draconic, humanoid, interplaner, or something more exotic.
In creativity, meaning.

Idej

Brief Description of,

Miotalus-Continent of the Metallic Dragons

Miotalus sits in the SouthWest of the World, a subtropical land noted for long growing seasons and mild winters, although the summers can be punishing. The five nations are the Brass Sands, Bronze Reef, Copper Hills, Silver Mountains, and Gold Seas.

The Brass Sands take up much of the southern coast, where the heat is most punishing. The desert is largely uninhabited by mammals except for in the westernmost savanna areas of the Brass Sands. The coastline itself is dotted with settlements, but most of these are at rivermouths, as purifying seawater is a tenuous form of sustenance. The region's capital is one of the few inland cities, situated on a river flowing all the way from the distant Silver Mountains. The city is still small by the standards of the other regions, but represents a vital trade center for the many caravans that keep the region connected. The people of Brass are tough, wary of outsiders, protective of water. At the same time, when water stores are high or outsiders come with gifts, they are among the friendliest and most talkative people in the world. The Halfling people are strong in this region, while Elves are scarce.

The Bronze Reef lies off the continent to the NorthEast, although the political region includes much of the shoreline. For a few miles out to sea, the ocean floor is dotted with spikes and tiny islands. Long ago, this proved to be a hazard for larger ships, but the region has long been tamed. Half of the people of Bronze live on the sea in villages that float on the water or are anchored to islands. The larger islands host port cities which receive trade from their Gem and Chromatic brethren...although few admit to dealing with the Chromatics directly. The regional capital is a massive structure encompassing several square miles of sea and dozens of anchoring islands. Gondolas are everywhere in the Reef, and children learn to steer and sail as soon as they can walk. Swimming is rarely practiced, however, as any sailor knows better than to trust the sea's embrace. The people are regimented and loyal, following the Captain's orders as proper sailors. The region is home to several aquatic species. Dwarves are practically unheard of.

The Copper Hills spread to the west coast, buffering the Gold Seas and Brass Sands. Prevailing winds from the northwest spreading east to the Bronze Sea; the hills and mountains trap moisture north of the desert. The hills range from rolling to rocky and are heavily forested in places. The area has only a few settlements as the area is kept rather uncivilized to provide large hunting grounds for the dragons. The few people who liver there are simple folk for the most part, although many of the finest craftsmen live in the region and every bard worth hearing has been taught at the College of the Hill. The Gnomes find their homes here, but in many ways it is the least civilized region of all, and few travel alone at night.

The Gold Sea is the wide plain to the west, where the hills give way to fertile land. The Gold Sea is home to farms and forests and lakes and the largest cities in the world. As their draconic rulers, the people value wisdom and history, and each village develops a strong sense of who they are very quickly. The regional capital is Dragonmeet, where all the continental lords visit from time to time in congress. It is even said that when great peril faces the world, all dragonkind is represented at Dragonmeet, but such has not happened for an age. The Elves are native to the region's forests.

The Silver Mountains form the center of the continent, surrounding an ancient volcano long sealed by natural and magical forces. The settlements range from Dwarven mines to human castles, but all survive by unearthing the treasures of the mountain cores. The regional capital is a fortress-mine halfway down the ssouthernmost slope, where the river that feeds the Brass capital forms from a series of waterfalls. The region is the most progressive, with edicts handed down from the Silver Dragons almost monthly, finding ways to improve the quality of life for their subjects. Personal freedom is all but unknown, however, and the caste system is at its strongest in the Dwarven cities.

Idej

Brief Description of,

The Rubina Archipelago-Home of the Gem Dragons

The Rubina Archipelago covers far more territory than the other continents yet has the least landmass. Stretching over much of the world from north to south, the people of the Archipelago have little unified identity and live mostly isolated lives. The Bronze Fleet and many dragons have found it possible to sail through Gem waters and fly over Rubina skies to bring battle to the Chromatics and never see any Gem settlements. Rubina is the odd man out in the magic World. Sorcerers are extremely few and Wizardry is considered a low profession. Psions and Wilders dominate the mystic positions in noble society.

The Crystal Ridge is in the far north, although not as far as the Great White to the east. The towering mountains are no less frigid, however, and during the long winter all those vulnerable to cold seek shelter beneath the mountain stones. The people of Crystal are open and friendly as a general rule, and any traveler in need can expect some form of hospitality. The regional capital sits at the highest peak above the clouds, a castle made of solid ice. The city is unnaturally warm and comfortable even in the depths of winter, and the residents have a somewhat haughty, superior disposition.

The southern end of Rubina holds the Emerald Ridge, a mirror of the northern Crystal mountains. Rather than iced peaks, the Emerald Ridge features extinct volcanoes in great numbers. The tunnels leading to the deep earth branch off into magma-filled caverns, certain death for the unwary. The residents are loathe to answer questions but quick to ask them, and the regional capital is built into the largest volcano.

Rubina has no other large landmasses, only strings of islands connecting the north and south.
The largest islands are claimed by the Amethyst dragons and hold cave structures, many of which reach the subterranean tunnels. These islands are the farmlands of Rubina, and have no cultural identity to speak of. The regional capital is Rubis Vermeil, which lies almost at the geographic center of Gem. All Gem Dragons visit semi-regularly.

The smallest islands are built into small trading ports for the Topaz people. Like the Bronze Reef, the people of Topaz live at sea. But while the Bronze live stable lives in floating villages and professionally designed ships all in a fleet hierarchy, Topaz build ships as they wish, some big some small, some innovative some barely seaworthy. Discipline is lax, coordination is nonexistant. Most ships drift around Gem, fishing for food and trading for lumber and supplies, but a sizable number make the journey to the Chromatic continent in trade. Few sail to the Metallic lands, as the Bronze Fleet keeps regular trade with Gem by itself.

The Sapphire dragons are almost never seen outside of Rubis Vermeil. Their homes are deep in the earth, in the tunnels that link Emerald and Crystal with eachother beneath the waves. The Sapphire Depths are populated by dwarves and gnomes, without any sign of elf or abomination or elder evil. The tunnels are held together by powerful, ancient psionic enchantments that protect them from the sea and magma. The Sapphire dragons and their serfs constantly enlarge the tunnels, seeking ever rarer treasures. Cold iron is a leading export.

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, after some pondering I decided go with this concept; LN male human Ninja 2/Monk 3/Discipline of the Eye 2/Dragon Descendant 1. Dragontouched feat so he has dragon blood in him but he looks mostly human.

Anycase idea is that my char either works for chromatic dragons, or that he is from secret ninja village which has both chromatic and metallic dragon patrons who manipulate scenery of the world to keep both contigents 'in balance' power wise (if some major guy rises in power in chromatics; he is nuked, if some major dude rises in metallic, try talk sense and if not working then nuke him). Naturally my char travels around the world under a disguise and perhaps mysterious martial artist fellow.

So far I have made concept so that he gets Decisive Strike from the monk (PHB II variant) but also gets flurry of blows from Discipline of the Eye (Races of the Dragon PrC). But if my background is not okay I would like suggestions where my char would fit in as 'martial art skilled ninja'.

Idej

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on December 28, 2009, 11:10:14 AM
Ok, after some pondering I decided go with this concept; LN male human Ninja 2/Monk 3/Discipline of the Eye 2/Dragon Descendant 1. Dragontouched feat so he has dragon blood in him but he looks mostly human.

Anycase idea is that my char either works for chromatic dragons, or that he is from secret ninja village which has both chromatic and metallic dragon patrons who manipulate scenery of the world to keep both contigents 'in balance' power wise (if some major guy rises in power in chromatics; he is nuked, if some major dude rises in metallic, try talk sense and if not working then nuke him). Naturally my char travels around the world under a disguise and perhaps mysterious martial artist fellow.

So far I have made concept so that he gets Decisive Strike from the monk (PHB II variant) but also gets flurry of blows from Discipline of the Eye (Races of the Dragon PrC). But if my background is not okay I would like suggestions where my char would fit in as 'martial art skilled ninja'.

It doesn't sound too bad to me, and it will most likely work out with the way things are socially in the world.  :)

Idej

Brief Explanation of,

Kromatisk-Continent of the Chromatic Dragons

Set to the northeast, Kromatisk is massive, easily the largest landmass in the known world and half again the size of the Metallic lands. However, it is also one of the harshest and most unforgiving lands.

Despite being temperate by latitude, ocean currents pull tropical waters northward a streach, and seasonal storms follow to bring warm winds and rain to the southern extremes of the continent. Far too much, however, for the Black Marsh is little more than swamps, moors, and fetid jungle. Tribes survive in the few patches of approximately dry land, where the climate allows lush vegitation, but much of the terrain  reeks of death and decay. The dead walk in the Marsh, and the Black Dragons seem to rarely care if their subjects breathe or not, so long as they serve. The marsh is home to few cities, only tribes who are quick to kill eachother when they happen to meet.
Ships bearing Black colors are almost all prizes taken by means fair and foul. Their sails tattered and masts neglected, the ships instead turn to undead rowers to tirelessly push the ships through the waters. No port welcomes Black ships without posting guards first, but the treasures of a Black Pirate are many and varied.

Away from monsoon and hurricane are the Jade Forests, west of the marsh and north. Away from the currents but taking rain from the winds, the forests are the most fertile region of the continent and home to one of the two true civilizations on the continent. Elves, men, and the rare Drow cultivate the meadows and harvest orchards, providing an abundance of food that is traded to the infertile desert region. The Green Fleet is the third largest in the world, after Bronze and Topaz, and the port-city of Rasen is the nation's capital. Green, Black, Topaz, and even Bronze and Gold ships can be found trading at the piers, the latter only rarely.

The Crimson Mountains strike up from the western coastline north of the forests and streach into the frozen wastes. Smoking volcanoes and deep valleys define the Red Dragons' land. The land, hyper-fertile with ash, is farmed with abandon by the largest civilization crushed beneath Tiamat's spawn. The Reds do not rule, they own their subjects. Each person is part of a dragon's hoard from birth, and whole cities have been devoured by dragons seeking a peaceful passing to the next life (see Draconomicon if you don't get the reference). Escape, often dreamed of, is rare. However, the Reds do protect their slaves, as they would any treasure in their posession, so they are perhaps the safest of all creatures in this forsaken land. The heart of the Crimson Mountains holds Viskayt, the Chromatic capital. The Reds decree that their lesser brethren report to them every century.  There are have been sightings of dragons with glossy black hides reside in the Crimson Mountains, but no one is talking not even the Red Dragons.

The Azure Desert is unremarkable. A barren wasteland, as much rock as sand, covers the eastern portion of the continent. A few scrawny rivers and wind-swept ash allow live to spring up here and there, and a few larger rivers flood to give rise to small cities. However, most of the desert is given to creatures who have no need of water or plantlife. The Blue Dragons spread out, with a nominal capital on the largest river, but by and large each dragon's territory is defined by what can live there.

The frozen lands of Hvítur is why the continent is so massive. A quarter of the continent by area, the north is where land gives way to tundra, then water and land alike give way to ice. No one knows what secrets are hidden in the frozen land. The White Dragons, little more than hyperintelligent animals, rule the fewest subjects of all dragonkind, attend the fewest meetings, and have the least interest in anything beyond their own territories. It is said that the only reason they have not been wiped out is that no one can find a reason to expend the effort, but even these are Tiamat's creations and may well have a part to play in the deity's endless war with her twin...

Idej

These three areas is what is known of this world, and nothing else has been discovered as of yet.  Whether it be how the wind currents move or other phenomenoms is to be determined by non-dragon races.  It is speculated that the north pole lies in the crystal lands as any form compasses and other navigation devices that relies upon similar technology has pointed towards those lands.

Any travel away from these lands has always led to the ships to never return back from their voyages and if the ships do return there is no one on board.

Idej

General Traits Throughout the World

Classes and Prestige Classes that emphasize draconic traits are considered to be classes of high status and thus what most of the nobility in the world are.

Due to the more developed statuses of civilizations barbarians, warriors, and other less refined classes are frowned upon.

Slayers of dragons, are watched very closely in all lands and are only allowed to travel the lands if they have proper permits, authorizations, or other forms of methods that will allow your presence to go smoothly in the lands of Gem, Metallic, and Chromatic dragons.  Though of course since each dragon needs to be able to kill potential threats some dragons keep an entourage of dragonslayers at their command if such a need arises.

Any class that is devoted to or empowered by the slaying of dragons is typically considered unclean, however the metallic/chromatic conflict makes dragon slayers potential aides of the state. Unsanctioned slayers are generally considered with the same fear and loathing as sociopathic murderers.

A class that offers a dragon-descended, halfdragon, or similar template represents a signifigant jump in caste from gentlemenry or even peasentry into the nobility. The LG and LN types will see it in similar terms to buying a knighthood -- acceptable but they're not really one of us. The LE types will either kill the usurper or kiss his ass depending on ability. The Chaotic types of all kind are less likely to care.
The Dragonborn race is an exception in Metallic lands. While it is the elevation of a commoner into the nobility, none dare tell Bahamut who is worthy and who is not.

The Knowledge(Nobility and Royalty) skill might want to take knowledge of Dragons from Knowledge(Arcana), or share it so either skill functions equally in this regard.
Likewise, Knowledge(N&R) and Diplomacy should be added to the skilllists of those classes ennobled above, in exchange for skills like Bluff or Survival where appropriate, dennoting those classes' ascension from idiosyncratic discipline to high society vocation.

The Caste system should be strong in Lawful lands and weak in Chaotic. Good lords should be generous, Neutral should be fair, Evil should be cruel. These are of course generalities.

The dragons at the top of the social ladder are immobile and unimpeachable, although few follow the rule of any dragon who is not an adult. Chromatic wyrmlings and juveniles may choose to play at ruling with small villages or tribes of no more than a dozen, and Metallics may have devoted guards, teachers, and other servants, but true leadership waits for maturity.
The top of the humanoid social tiers are the dragonblooded. The more draconic the visage, the more regal the character. The dragontouched feat is the lowest subtier within the caste. Claws, Breath weapons, scales, tails, and other traits add to the bearing. Wings are particularly favored for their rarity, even among the elite. Classes which grant these traits, like Dragon Shaman, are considered the provence of this caste alone. These individuals weild power wether they want to or not, and often own land as feudal lords, captain great ships, or serve as military officers.
The second tier is the nondragon nobility. Family lines so old the dragon blood is all but extinct. It is a small tier, often folded into the one above. Sorcerers and bards are common in these lines, but for the most part they subsist on old money. Here also are the offshoots of vibrant dragonblood lines that got the human side of the gene pool, or dragonblooded from illigitimate pregnancies.
The third tier is the gentlemenry. Nonnoble, but rich and affluent. Most military officers also fall into this tier, as do successful adventurers and clergy. Mages and psionics can often find their way here around the 3rd spell level.
The fourth tier is the tradesmen. The middle class, skilled laborers, wealthy merchants, physicians, adventurers and others with a PC class. This is the highest caste that works for a living, with no breeding to support them. The lucky can buy their way into the gentlemenry, often by way of military commission.
The fifth tier is the peasantry. Sometimes freemen, sometimes serfs, sometimes slaves. These souls have their lot in life, and have little chance of advancement.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Idej on December 28, 2009, 01:51:25 PM
It doesn't sound too bad to me, and it will most likely work out with the way things are socially in the world.  :)

Ok, start type of charsheet in more detail then. Have notes of stats, hit dice and skills etc. Just need buy magic items and use online charseet.

Tenjou2000

Percephius Bahar

Race: Tiefling (MM1)

Classes: Rogue/Swashbuckler/Urban Ranger/Invisible Blade

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=176939

Description: Stands 5,11 tall with a slender muscular build and walks with an almost cocky swagger. Flawless ashen white skin, feathery shoulder length fiery red hair, and crimson raptor like eyes that seem to glow faintly in dim light. Favors wearing red silk and black leathered garments that are trimmed in gold thread. 

Background:
From the day of his birth, his parents were always a bit uneasy about their youngest son’s otherworldly appearance.  Pale skin, unnaturally red hair, and uncanny eyes. Though it had been countless decades since the Bahar House had broken all it ties with demon race, in it’s attempts to break the yoke of their dark past and start anew. Yet judging from the boy’s odd looks, it seemed that demonic blood  still curse them with it’s looming presence.

Demon blooded or not, they didn’t have the heart to abandoned their son; so they decided they do their best to raise him as a proper nobleman. From a very young age  Percephius was tutored by several scholars and experts, though the more he learned the more he desired to venture outside his  sheltered existence.  His family home resided in the uptown district of a booming port town. Every evening he would lounge in the sill of his bay window and watched as the ships would dock for the night.  How he longed to leave this pampered prison, and sail off to an adventure. His father noted his son’s fondness for the sea and felt his child needed more structure to his life. With that in mind he arrange for Percephius to join the local navy at the age of 13. While there wasn’t much his parents could do about there son’s pale complexion or odd eyes, they could at least dye his hair blonde.

Percephius wasn’t exactly keen on dying his hair, but if it meant he got to leave home and sail on a boat. It was a small price to pay. While at the academy he excelled in his studies and sword play, yet his disregard for rules and spirited nature got him into trouble with his superiors more often then not. After several years of failed attempts to make Percephius conform to their standards, the academy sent him back home. When he returned home his angry father gave him the ultimatum: either return to academy and comply to their ways or  gather his things and go.  It wasn’t an easy choice, but he decided to pack his things and leave home to make a name for himself.  The first few months  away from home were the hardest, and with his last of his money run out, he finally decide to join a band of  roaming mercenaries to earn his keep.

By this time the blonde dye had faded, allowing his natural fiery red hair color return. Though this odd look turned a few heads, many  just assumed he had dyed his hair match his already strange appearance. He usually prefers to work alone, he is willing to work with others if company is pleasant and pay is decent. When he’s not hunting a bounty he likes to spend his leisure time in taverns living it up: gambling, drinking, and the flirting with women.