Welcome to Hell

Started by ZK, April 06, 2008, 02:14:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZK

The world is slowly spiraling out of it's orbit of false tranquility into the grim truth as to what is happening to it's inhabitants. The world is changing and far from the better, no, it's actually growing worse. If pollution and global warming wasn't enough, something else decided to spin itself and lodge itself into the proverbial engine of it all.

The economy in the Western world teeters on toppling in on itself, hundreds of thousands lose their jobs, their homes, divorce rates up high... so many things that can just get the average man or woman angry... well, that's the problem there. It seems people are grown more prone succumbing to this irritation, this blight that is kicking them in the face, in fact... they take up arms and lash out at it, but the problem is, they don't stop there.

It's 2008 and there is seriously something wrong here. The Violent Crime Ratio has nearly tripled since it was last categorized to 12% and it seems to continue to rise. But it isn't just the US that is suffering, the entire world is slowly descending into chaos and further down the path of insanity. Riots, break ins, murders, serial acts of depravity, it's turning over and over again so much you can guess what's on the news tonight. Many homes, many city buildings slowly turning into the "new hood" and the places not even the bravest cops or even thugs dare travel... and yet no one has any clue as to why this is happening. Something has to be stopped before the insane are the only ones who judge who is sane or not.

Plunge face-first into the darkness to find out the truth before it's too late, but don't forget to shine the light or the darkness may consume yet another soul.

People of different backgrounds, pasts and other occupations from a street bum to that of a beat cop find themselves banded together as they're brought closer to the truth and to the source of insanity, but will they solve this mystery before it's too late or will they succumb to the insanity that is slowly clenching it's dark, heavy death grip around the neck of the earth.

This game is a hybrid game I intend to run. Using various elements of survival, horror, self-discovery and the usual bit of splatterpunk throw in. It'll be a system game using the core nWoD rules, so mortal creation only. This will be a violent game with many dark themes involved. Using the nWoD core rules to keep the system simple, streamlined and deadly.

Now, go out my children and kill their pain.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Stattick

I might be interested in this one. I've been having apocalypic dreams as far back as I can remember, so the subject matter does appeal to me.

What are you looking for as far as posting rate? ZK, what do you see as your own posting rate?

I ask only because slow paced multi-player games tend to loose my interest quickly. As a player, if I'm not posting at least 4-5 times a week in a multi-player, then it probably won't hold my interest. My ideal posting rate in a multi-player would be more then once a day, so let's call it about 10-15 posts a week.

EDIT: I neglected to mention that I have absolutely no experience w/ nWoD, I've never even had any of the books in my hand. I am familiar w/ oWoD, so the mechanical paradigms of the system shouldn't be entirely unfamiliar, but some of the nuances will certainly will be (for instance, I read somewhere that the nWoD used some bizarre combo for perception rolls, like Wits+Ettiquette  ???).
O/O   A/A

ZK

Posting rate is solely dependent on the player base, not me as the ST. And for nWoD, it's Wits + Composure for Perception based checks. Unless it was a specific like Wits + Survival to see what type of scenery is around and just what to expect for example.

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Kazyth

I really like this idea.  I'm in, if you'll have me.

My base idea would be a caseworker, an overworked and underappreciated guy who's pretty much burned himself out trying to help person after person, family after family only to watch them make the same mistakes.  He knows something is wrong.  It's getting worse every year.  Something has to be causing it.  You can say what you want about population pressures, the influence of tv, internet corruption, or polution, but it has to be more than that.

And he's gonna find it, if it kills him.  Better than burning out entirely and eating a bullet, or dying slowly of alcoholism... isn't it?
A rose by any other name... still has thorns you can prick someone with. - Me.

Stattick

For character concept, I'm leaning toward an ex-cop turned Private Investigator. He was a guy that had seen too much in too short of a time, and just started to buckle under the stress of work plus a marriage that was disintegrating. He quit the P.D. before depression and recklessness could get him fired. Then his wife left him, and gained sole custody of their kids. Since he seemed to be somewhat emotionally unstable, he was only given monitored visitations with his kids once a month, although he never hurt them.

It's a secret that few know, but he did attempt suicide via pills last year, but he was able to keep the information private, so didn't loose his ability to legally carry a concealed weapon. Since then, he's been slowly trying to put his life back together. Now coming back from his own inner darkness but still a bit more depressed and reckless then is probably healthy, he's ready to confront the growing darkness in the world.
O/O   A/A

ZK

Need only one more person interested.

Kazae

This demands more science.

And as a researcher into human psychiatry, frequently called in for court cases involving the need for mental evaluations of defendants, the pattern indicates that there is a need for someone in the field to take a more in-depth look at what's going on.  Caseworkers are already bringing seemingly-discrete cases, but commonalities are cropping up more and more along the way.  The person who can figure out why the world's going crazy, even if they're starting at a city municipal level, stands to possibly earn fame, fortune, and renown.

Of course, the person who can see the most clearly is often the one who can't see the forest for the trees...
...................__
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
..........................'...../
..........''............. _.·´
..........................(
Yes, I'm probably over-thinking.  Yes, I'm going to continue over-thinking.
There are enough people out there running on autopilot;someone has to make up for those lost synaptic cycles, and it may as well be me.

Push Button...