Deception: Murdered in Hong Kong Game Thread

Started by Galactic Druid, January 04, 2016, 10:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Moriarty

Wow, is persephone really that much more innocent-seeming than I am, such that when she admits it could be her, no one raises a brow, but when I do...

Wait.  Nevermind.  Don't answer that.

persephone325

lol Given the evidence we have, the strongest suspects (in my opinion) are: Strangefate, James, and myself.

I just can't help but notice that Strangefate wasn't listed in your previous post, which makes me wonder if you know something we don't.

The Water Stain evidence makes me think of rain, which further makes me suspect Strangefate because of the Raincoat card. Remi also has an Umbrella, but none of his Means seem to fit. So I don't really think he's a suspect anymore.

James, you don't really have anything "Water Stain" related. So, I don't think you could be the murderer.

We should also not forget that one of Strangefate's "Means" cards is that of "Fork and Knife". You can most certainly stab someone with those utensils, which could result in death by blood loss.
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Strangefate

Hm, interesting, the Water Stain really complicates things.  James (machete), Verasaille (bites & tears), and yugi (axe) were my main suspects as means of murder you might find in the woods, but they’re hard to tie to a Water Stain, especially Verasaille. 

So I’m going to alter my main suspects to Madame Professor with a Fish Hook or Yugi with Ice Skates for the moment, although I’m not feeling very strong about either one.  The location clue for Ice Skates should have been the Park though right?  Small possibility it was James with Machete leaving Tissue (with a water stain on it) as evidence.   Can’t entirely discount Remiel now since Umbrella fits Water Stain and Machinery could be almost anything, including wood chippers or lumber mill saws, I suppose.  Seems sort of unlikely though.

Try as I might I can’t figure out any way to make all three clues fit the cards BAMF, Assassini, Kythia, persephone, or Verasaille hold.  So I’m inclined to think they’re investigators.  One could be an accomplice of course.

(Also I look kinda guilty with Dismemberment (blood loss) and Raincoat (water stain) but nothing really ties to me to Woods either.)
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

"Vanitas Vanitatum!  Which of us is happy in this world?  Which of us has his desire?  or, having it, is satisfied?" - George Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair

Galactic Druid

GM Note: Do me a favor, if any of you decide to put your badge on the line and make an official guess (remember, you only get 1!), please post in bold so I notice it right away. Thanks!
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

persephone325

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on January 05, 2016, 10:36:34 PM
GM Note: Do me a favor, if any of you decide to put your badge on the line and make an official guess (remember, you only get 1!), please post in bold so I notice it right away. Thanks!

I wasn't accusing anyone yet. ^^ But we can accuse anyone at any time?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

yugi006

The Fish Hook could work if there was a lake or pond in the woods.

Ice Skates don't really fit into the Woods location.

Remiel

Okay, I'm assuming that RPGuy's first two clues have to do with the method of murder.  If one or both of them has to do with the evidence, I have to go back to the drawing board.  However, given that Location of Crime and Cause of Death are both pretty standard forensic clues, I feel fairly safe in assuming that they both had to do with the murder method.  Therefore, using my previous list to winnow down suspects:

Quote from: Remiel on January 05, 2016, 01:45:38 PM
Yugi006 (axe, ice skates, blood release)
Kythia (whip*)
Madame Professor (fish hook)
Verasaille (bites and tears)
James Moriarty (machete)
persephone325 (pistol*)

The only question is whether his third clue, State of the Scene, has to do with method of murder or with the evidence.   If it has to do with the murder, we have

Yugi (Ice skates, blood release)
Madame Professor (fish hook)

If, however, the third clue has to do with the evidence, we have

Yugi (Food ingredients*, Cosmetic Mask*)
Strangefate (Raincoat, plastic bottle)
Remiel (Red Wine, soap)
James Moriarty (tissue*)

So, depending on what RPGuy's third clue was trying to tell us, I feel like the clues so far point to either yugi006 or Madame Professor.

yugi006

Even with that reason my evidence cards don't fit with the location which is the Woods. Food ingredients is possible but there is groceries in parentheses next to Food Ingredients which makes it weird to be at the Woods. I'm assuming Cosmetic Mask is the kind you would get at a spa which is very unlikely to be left behind at the Woods unless it means something else.

Remember that everything has to fit with the location as well as method of murder.

Kythia

Quote from: yugi006 on January 06, 2016, 12:43:02 AM
Remember that everything has to fit with the location as well as method of murder.

I don't think that's right.

yugi006

The example that RPGuy gave in the rules seems to make it seem like that is how it is. I could be wrong.

Remiel

Waiting on confirmation from Reginald, but I think any clue could refer to either.

QuoteScientist: The location board I'm putting into play has the Vacation House, Park, Supermarket, School, Woods, and Bank. This crime took place at the school.

Sam: Looks like I'm off the hook. I have a chainsaw, acid, axe, and blades. None of that fits in a school!

Alice: Nice try, Sam! Sulfuric Acid is super common in school labs.

Sam: But the victim died of Blood Loss! If it were acid, wouldn't Madame Professor told it was a severe injury, or maybe poisoning?

Alice: That's a good point... none of us has a weapon that would cause blood loss and fits in a school though....

Mary: Well, maybe the school is pointing to the key evidence rather than the weapon, like Sam's notebook....

persephone325

Quote from: Remiel on January 06, 2016, 01:59:21 AM
Waiting on confirmation from Reginald, but I think any clue could refer to either.

Ohh... Good catch.
I don't know.

yugi006

Good point but everything seems to circle back to the location. If the location refers to key evidence I'm off the hook as none of those really go with the Woods. If it refers to the weapon then I'm also off the hook as none of those leaves water stains assuming the ice skates are just plain ice skates.

Verasaille

Any way we could get actual pictures posted of the cards?
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Galactic Druid

I'm afraid I don't really have access to a scanner. Even then, uploading 300 pictures and posting 80 per game is a bit heavier a commitment than I'd like to invest. The setup would take as long as the game. ;(

BAMF

Right. It seems as though we have thinned our list of possibilities. If all investigators get a single guess, I vote we start accusing through our list of possibilities. Before I drop an accusation, who do we have on our short list?

With how cagey Yugi is being right now, I'm not liking his chances for innocence.
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
by a series of small things
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

Remiel

Quote from: BAMF on January 06, 2016, 03:45:39 PM
Right. It seems as though we have thinned our list of possibilities. If all investigators get a single guess, I vote we start accusing through our list of possibilities. Before I drop an accusation, who do we have on our short list?

With how cagey Yugi is being right now, I'm not liking his chances for innocence.

The problem is that you have to get all three correct--suspect, cause of death, evidence.  And you have only one chance to do so.

Thus, I'm not sure why anyone would not wait until all six clues have been revealed before making a decision.

BAMF

Ah. My bad. I for whatever reason thought you could throw out a name. :P WHOOPS. Carry on.
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
by a series of small things
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

yugi006

If it weren't for the water stain clue I might have been a plausible suspect but now none of it really fits as my weapons don't leave water stains  and my evidence don't fit the location. That is all I'm saying.

Verasaille

I agree that we need to have some kind of chart or at least a list of both evidence and suspects. Clues as they are revealed would be nice as well.

I am no good at coding things! But I can do something maybe...

Suspects: (quoting from Guy's list)

Player: Yugi006

Means of Murder Cards: Axe, Ice Skates, Work, Blood Release

Key Evidence Cards: Food Ingredients (groceries), Speakers, Cosmetic Mask (spa), (Disguise maybe?)Bell
---
Player: Strangefate

Means of Murder Cards: Fork and Knife, Dismemberment, Dirty Water, Venomous Snake

Key Evidence Cards: Plastic Bottle (source of water stain?), Graffiti, Envelope, Raincoat
---

Player: Remiel

Means of Murder Cards: Potted Plant, Venomous Scorpion, Powdered Drugs, Machinery(wood chipper or vehicle of some kind?)

Key Evidence Cards: Red Wine(killer was drunk driving and ran over the victim?), Umbrella(if wet, could cause water stain), Spinning Top, Soap
-----

Player: Assassini

Means of Murder Cards: Folding chair, Rope, Baseball Bat(beating someone can cause internal bleeding), Drill

Key Evidence Cards: Toy(squirt gun source of water stain?), Rose(wild rose?), Newspaper, Majong Tile
----

Player: Kythia

Means of Murder Cards: Steel Tube(depending on how sharp the end is, could be shoved into someone, or could even be a needle used to draw blood?), Drowning, Whip, Wrench

Key Evidence Cards: Hat, Sack, Cigar, Broom(have to admit nothing here jumps out at me unless it is Kythia riding a broom? JOKING!!
----

Player:Madame Professor

Means of Murder Cards:Radiation, Injection, Wine, Fish Hook(in the right place could cause a lot of blood loss! also a reason to be in the woods, provided we get some water nearby, admitted this is a stretch)

Key Evidence Cards: Cake, Bracelet, Watch, Antique (nothing here makes sense from the current evidence)
---

Player: BAMF

Means of Murder Cards: Trowel(stabbing possibility also a reason to be in woods, maybe collecting a rare plant?), Unarmed Assault, Arson, Towel (Not to be confused with the Trowel. What are the odds you got both?)

Key Evidence Cards: Luggage(contents could be something wet?), Electric Circuitry, Telephone, Tweezers
---

Player: Verasaille (in interest of fairness even though I am not the murderer)

Means of Murder Cards: Bites and tears(confusing since it is possible the tears are like teardrops from the eye? or tears like ripping flesh?), Sulfuric Acid, Illegal Drugs, Kerosene

Key Evidence Cards: Computer, Cigarette Butt, Apple(only reason I see to be in woods?), Computer mouse (rest of this does not match the water stain or the woods)
---

Player: James Moriarty

Means of Murder Cards: Stone, Crutch, Machete(obviously a possible murder weapon, maybe too obvious), Wire

Key Evidence Cards: Cigarette Ash, Sock, Tissue, Name Card(nothing here suggests the woods or a water stain)

Player: persephone325

Means of Murder Cards: Cleaver(possible but too obvious?), Pill, Scarf, Pistol(more likely, but still obvious?)

Key Evidence Cards: Sunglasses, Toy blocks, Tattoo, Drama Mask (nothing suggests woods or water?)
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Madame Professor

Well, I was actually going to do up a chart much like Vera has done now that I'm home fom work... But since she has saved me the time, I'll just add a few comments.

I'm not ready to discount Yugi's Ice Skates just yet, especially with the Water Stain clue. If it's cold and frozen, ice melts when you go into a cabin, so I think it's still a possibility.

Between Remi's Red Wine and the Umbrella, I lean more towards the Umbrella.

Assassini has that Drill, which I see more plausible than the Baseball Bat, but that is an interesting theory.

I think BAMF's luggage is a stretch and I wouldn't discount James' Tissue (wet from tears?) just yet either.

Everything else is along the lines of what I saw. Almost everyone has a little something that could work, depending on how you spin it, I think there are stronger canidants than others at the moment. I'm honestly not even considering BAMF or Kythia at this point.
The Professor's Research Notes (O/O)  Locked away in the Laboratory (A/A) 
Not currently available for new roleplays
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

Galactic Druid

New Clue time!

Noticed By Bystander Sudden Sound, Prolonged Sound, Smell, Visual, Action, Nothing

The bystander noticed a smell.

Remiel

I feel like this clue is meant to point us at the evidence.  It really doesn't make sense in the context of murder means.

So we have:

Yugi006 (Food ingredients, Cosmetic Mask)
Strangefate
Remiel (Red Wine, Soap)
Assassini (Rose)
Kythia (Cigar)
Madame Professor (Cake)
BAMF
Verasaille (Cigarette butt)
James Moriarty (cigarette ash)
persephone325

I feel like so far, our strongest suspects are still yugi006 and Madame Professor.   I feel like we can safely eliminate Strangefate, BAMF, and persephone.

Strangefate

Gonna try my own chart.  Never enough charts!  ;)

Things you find in/take to the Woods:
Axe (yugi), Machete (James), Bites & Tears (Versaille), Fishing Hook (Madame P), Ice Skates (yugi), Apple (Verasaille), Trowel (BAMF), Hat (Kythia), Umbrella (Remiel), Venomous Snake (Strangefate), Dirty Water (Strangefate), Raincoat (Strangefate), Rose (Assassini), Machinery? (Remiel)

Things that could cause fatal Blood Loss:
Axe (yugi), Machete (James), Bites & Tears (Versaille), Fishing Hook? (Madame P), Ice Skates (yugi), Dismemberment (Strangefate), Blood Release (Yugi), Machinery? (Remiel), Cleaver (Persephone), Drill (Assassini)

Things that leave/absorb Water Stains:
Ice Skates (yugi), Dirty Water (Strangefate), Raincoat (Strangefate), Plastic Bottle (Strangefate), Umbrella (Remiel), Drowning (Kythia), Fish Hook (Madame P), Tissue (James), Soap (Remiel)

Things that Smell:
Soap (Remiel), Rose (Assassini), Cigar (Kythia), Arson (BAMF), Kerosene (Verasaille), Sulfuric Acid (Verasaille), Cigarette Ash (James), Sock (James), Food Ingredients? (yugi), Apple? (Verasaille), Cake (Madame P), Cigarette Butt (Verasaille)

I then went through and crossed off things that don’t make sense.  Dirty Water may fit Water Stains and the Woods but can’t cause Blood Loss and Blood Loss is the reason for death so has to fit the means of murder.  Remiel, yugi, James, and Madame are the only ones to have items that fit all four clues (if my list is in any way accurate).   The only way James, however, can fit all four clues is if he had both the tissue for water stain and one of his other items for smell, since Machete shouldn't leave either.

I also thought it might be useful to see the options the Forensic Scientist didn’t give us.  IE, things that were on the same cards but he chose to ignore in favor of what he selected.

State of the Scene Options:  Bits and Pieces, Ashes, Water Stain, Cracked, Disorderly, Tidy
State of the Scene Options:  Sudden Sound, Prolonged Sound, Smell, Visual, Action, Nothing
Location Options:  Vacation House, Park, Supermarket, School, Woods, Bank
Murder Options: Suffocation, Severe Injury, Loss of Blood, Illness/Disease, Poisoning, Accident

I think the fact the FS could have selected both Ashes and Smell but chose not to more or less rules out Cigarette Butt or Cigarette Ash as clues so I crossed them off as well.  That would have pointed the finger right at James or Verasaille and really narrowed things down, so to choose not to probably means that neither is the killer.  I also think this makes Remiel even less likely because Accident/Woods or Severe Injury/Woods would have pushed us more towards the Machinery as a murder option than blood loss.  Yet I can't dismiss him entirely because Soap fits both Water Stains and Smell so well.  Also note that given those Locations there really isn't any better clue to have given us to point towards Machinery.  You don't think Woods when you think Machinery normally, but you don't think Bank or Supermarket either!

Which leaves Madame P (with fishing hook and cake), yugi (with the ice skates and food), and Remiel (with Machinery and soap) as my prime suspects for now.  Basically in that order.
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

"Vanitas Vanitatum!  Which of us is happy in this world?  Which of us has his desire?  or, having it, is satisfied?" - George Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair

yugi006

Quote from: Remiel on January 06, 2016, 08:40:16 PM
I feel like this clue is meant to point us at the evidence.  It really doesn't make sense in the context of murder means.

So we have:

Yugi006 (Food ingredients, Cosmetic Mask)
Strangefate
Remiel (Red Wine, Soap)
Assassini (Rose)
Kythia (Cigar)
Madame Professor (Cake)
BAMF
Verasaille (Cigarette butt)
James Moriarty (cigarette ash)
persephone325

I feel like so far, our strongest suspects are still yugi006 and Madame Professor.   I feel like we can safely eliminate Strangefate, BAMF, and persephone.

I understand what you are saying as well as everyone else but although my evidence would fit with smell and water stains it still doesn't fit in to the context of the location which is Woods. For Food Ingredients groceries was in parentheses and for Cosmetic Mask spa was in parentheses. None of these would be found in the woods though.

If you look at the location options supermarket is listed there which if that was the location then Food Ingredients would make sense.

This all hinges on the fact that the Key Evidence has to fit with the location.

Dirty Water is kind of vague though. There could be bacteria or a virus in the water that could make you sick which could cause blood loss. We don't know what's in the dirty water.