I want to help my friend :(

Started by GloomCookie, July 22, 2011, 12:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GloomCookie

There's a girl I was once dating who I keep in contact with.  She got a job and she was doing fine until her boyfriend cheated on her, and she freaked out and tried to commit suicide.  While in the hospital, her employers told her she didn't have to worry and that she'd have a job when she got out.  After getting out, she called and was rudely told she wasn't getting her job back, and that she was the cause of problems and that they no longer wanted her around.

She contacted me today to say that she's trying to get the hospital to provide free care, but they won't give it to her without proof of termination.  She called her former bosses and they rudely told her that she was a problem for them and that she was 'on her own', before hanging up.  I told her they had to provide a notice of termination and what she should do to go about getting it (such as pursuing legal help from a lawyer).  I wish I knew what more to tell her so if anyone can help, please do so :(
My DeviantArt

Ons and Offs Updated 9 October 2022

Beguile's Mistress

I don't know how big this company is but if there is a Personnel or Human Resources Department she should contact them and ask for a letter spelling out the date that she was terminated.  Also, if she was terminated and is receiving unemployment compensation that is proof of termination.  Even if she filed a claim that was denied because the employer said she had been fired for cause the denial would be her proof.

GloomCookie

The company is a funeral home, owned by two people.  They pretty much handle everything.  And since she's already got a job, she can't file for unemployment.  My mom suggested the hospital call the old boss directly and try to get them to confirm she wasn't working there anymore, so that's what I told her last night.
My DeviantArt

Ons and Offs Updated 9 October 2022

Enmuro

Sounds like a rough time for your friend. Hopefully having the hospital call the employer directly will work (and they'll give just dates of employment and not anything else which is illegal where I live at least). I don't know if it's of any immediate help but if she can't afford a lawyer she could always see if the DOL or your states department of labor could be of any help here, this seems like something up there alley but Im just guessing.

Beguile's Mistress

They should be reported to the Department of Labor in her state in any case.  Nothing may come of it for her but a list of complaints against a company builds a case.

Xanatos

If my information is correct - an employer has to provide a job of equal or greater value to an employee who is forced into a leave of absence for medical reasons, for up to a period of a year. I don't imagine she was in the hospital for a year was she? As a note, this law is California law, so I can't say if its this way for another state. I hope it is, because if it is the law in her state, then she can sue them for firing her unjustly. That means she can get money to cover any medical bills and just as importantly, money to cover the lawyer's fees (always get money to cover lawyer fees).

I hope this helps.