Question about British Parliament (Lords) and multiple titles

Started by TheGlyphstone, May 22, 2015, 04:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

Because I guess it's technically politics.

If a peer holds multiple titles - say, the Earl of X and the Baron of Y, do they get multiple votes in Parliament on a topic based on how many titles they have? I found one reference to where the heir of a multiple-titled hereditary peer can sit and vote under one of his father's secondary titles, but nothing about if one person can sit and vote as all of their 'hats' simultaneously.

Lord Mayerling

Votes are taken by voice in Lords, or they leave the chamber into one of two lobbies (yea or nay). Thus, each Lord casts one vote, regardless of their title(s).

TheGlyphstone

So voice votes are taken by name, not by title then  - else I'd assume that the hypothetical example could answer once when "Earl of X" was asked to vote, and again when "Baron of Y" was asked to vote. And it looks like writs of acceleration were abolished in 1999.

If a peer is unable to attend a session of Parliament for some reason, though, can they appoint a proxy to sit and vote in their stead? Or is that vote automatically an abstention?

Lord Mayerling

Voice votes aren't taken by name, but by vote (yes or no, except it's England, so they say "content" or "not content"). All the yeses speak at once, then all the nos. Only those present may vote.

I think you may be hung up on what a Lord actually is in Parliament. Lords are individuals, not titles. A place in the peerage allows you to sit in the House of Lords. Sitting in the House lets you vote on legislation. The title itself does not grant votes, it only places one in the peerage. In that sense, voting wise, all Lords are equal, regardless of title or rank.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Lord Mayerling on May 22, 2015, 06:51:42 PM
Voice votes aren't taken by name, but by vote (yes or no, except it's England, so they say "content" or "not content"). All the yeses speak at once, then all the nos. Only those present may vote.

I think you may be hung up on what a Lord actually is in Parliament. Lords are individuals, not titles. A place in the peerage allows you to sit in the House of Lords. Sitting in the House lets you vote on legislation. The title itself does not grant votes, it only places one in the peerage. In that sense, voting wise, all Lords are equal, regardless of title or rank.

Got it.

gaggedLouise

Slightly off topic, isn't Mayerling the location of a house where somebody famous died, who was supposed to have become a major Lord?   ::)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Oniya

That famous person was Austrian, if it's the incident I think you're talking about.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lord Mayerling

And he wasn't a lord, but the Crown Prince, heir to the throne. Although the other person in the incident technically was.