The Trail of Cthulhu: The Kingsbury Horror [INTEREST CHECK]

Started by White Wolf, July 14, 2018, 05:41:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Wolf

Hello!

I'm scribbling this thread down purely as an interest check while I get my notes and thoughts together. I'm looking to run a Trail of Cthulhu game here on E, using the prebaked adventure included in the back of the rulebook - The Kingsbury Horror, pitting the players on the trail of a serial killer in 1930s Cleveland, Ohio, during a protracted partisan war between the city's Democratic and Republican parties.

I'm aiming to make a proper recruitment thread for this about a week from now, but I wanted to get this down so that anybody who would be interested in such a game would have a way to contact me and start bashing ideas and thoughts around. I would like to bring in people who haven't read through The Kingsbury Horror, so that the adventure isn't spoiled for anyone, but given that the book has been out for quite a while this is hardly a deal breaker - so long as I can rely on you guys not to metagame or consult the book during the game xD

My hope for this game is twofold - first, I'll be up front, this'll be my first time playing as Keeper, so I wanted to use the prepackaged adventure as solid ground to get used to the concept and learn the ropes by playing. I'm also hoping to use the adventure as a test case for E's play-by-post format; if an adventure of this length can be run efficiently on Elliquiy, and completed in a relatively timely fashion, I would love to set up a campaign frame - based on The Armitage Inquiry, also included in the rulebook - from which to run several similar-length adventures with whoever would like to play on. Depending on how things work out, The Armitage Inquiry may or may not carry on directly from the events of The Kingsbury Horror.

Some Further Details On The Armitage Inquiry...
My plan for The Armitage Inquiry is to use it as the framework for a number of adventure ideas I'm already toying with and tweaking. Although the frame notes in the rulebook state that anywhere from half to two-thirds of the Inquiry's investigations should take place in New England, I'm ignoring this and have planned for a series of adventures spanning the entire world. My plan is to set up a number of investigations (probably around five, definitely under ten) that the players can stumble upon and investigate in any order, hopefully with clues linking each one to the wider Cthulhu Mythos, likely to set up a grand climax, or series of final investigations serving as a grand climax, as the Inquiry begins to use the experiences of the investigators to piece together a sliver of the Truth.

While I'll leave more detailed setting details for the recruitment thread hopefully to come, the game will be played largely with a lean towards the Pulp mode, though how much I mix and match elements of both styles will be decided closer to the time.

I'm really looking forwards to hopefully getting this off the ground :D If you're interested in playing, reply to this thread so I know where to find a roster list when it comes time to set up a proper recruitment thread. As this point in time I'm looking for in and around five players to participate, but that figure may change as I work towards preparing the adventure.

Thanks for stopping by!

The stars are coming right. Is this really the end?

Captain Whitebread

I’ve read a wide range of the Cthulhu stories although by no means all of them and certainly not the focus of your investigation. I’ve always wanted to do some Cthulhu rp, so colour me interested.
There are nights when the wolves are silent and it the moon that howls.