Now I know why 'they' hate us...

Started by Zeitgeist, December 13, 2011, 10:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeitgeist

Because at the end of the day, what one frustrated official lays on the table, their trump card, is the threat to release a sex tape.

The advisor reportedly said, "officials from Gulf countries will be shown what 'trump' cards we have after we release their sex tapes to internet websites."

http://www.kuwaittimes.net/read_news.php?newsid=ODYyMDI2MzE3NA%3D%3D

I use 'they' very loosely, but meaning everyone else besides western culture. Tragically humorous though, I thought.

Trieste

"If you do not submit to our demands, we will turn you," *points* "Into Tommy Lee."

"... you'll put me as the frontman to Mötley Crüe?!"

"What? I-No. No. I was talking about the sex tape!"

"Oh... doesn't seem so bad after being threatened with Mötley Crüe."

"... oh, forget it."

Callie Del Noire

I don't see why 'they' would hate us over this. The article is dealing with internal politics. Granted the issue of the Bedoon (or Bedouin) is one of the big issues that is ignored throughout the gulf, but I fail to see how we play into it.

gaggedLouise

Either this Syrian advisor has a very dark, grimy sense of humour or he's a dangerous loonie! This is the strangest example of political vengeance since I read of the KGB's plans to stage an accident and break one or both legs of Rudolf Nureyev, the defector ballet superstar (this is mentioned in The Mitrokhin Archive from real KGB documents, "various schemes which were never implemented"...).

Having stopped laughing, you can tell the idea would look logical to someone in the Middle East. Sex scandals really do fell politicians and businessmen, so why not threaten to bring out a "revealing" tape?

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Zeitgeist

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on December 13, 2011, 10:41:02 PM
I don't see why 'they' would hate us over this. The article is dealing with internal politics. Granted the issue of the Bedoon (or Bedouin) is one of the big issues that is ignored throughout the gulf, but I fail to see how we play into it.

The permutation of western values: the good, the bad, and the ugly. Working under the reasonable presumption that sex tape reveals on the Web is largely a western phenomenon. Though that appears to be changing.

Makes the infiltration of McDonald's and Barbie seem quite harmless in comparison.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Zeitgeist on December 13, 2011, 10:46:22 PM
The permutation of western values: the good, the bad, and the ugly. Working under the reasonable presumption that sex tape reveals on the Web is largely a western phenomenon. Though that appears to be changing.

Makes the infiltration of McDonald's and Barbie seem quite harmless in comparison.

The revelation of illicit sex is way older than modern western society.

gaggedLouise

I want to see the Bin Laden Sex Tape! He did put out a few videos you know, even home movies (the famous clip of OBL watching OBL on tv). Is the CIA sitting on some material taken from his house?  :P

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Callie Del Noire

The sad part (to me) is this guy is pretty much pigeon holing a group of people away from any sort of legal rights.