Interest Check: Legendary Monsters (3.5 DnD)

Started by Zaer Darkwail, November 30, 2014, 01:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kunoichi

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on December 03, 2014, 05:11:28 AM
Yeah, Kunoichi is correct. I would make specific allowance to apply templates to the monstrous humanoids (not otherwise change how monstrous humanoids differ from normal humanoids). But we see can Kunoichi find desired base creature which to apply templates in.

I wasn't able to find a humanoid that fit my needs, unfortunately. ^^; The main problem is that the Sea Hag and assorted templates just have so many flavorful abilities that combine together so well.  Like the Sea Hag's Horrific Appearance and Evil Eye plus the Half-Nymph's Awesome Beauty, or the way the Mirage Mullah template's spell-like abilities would combine with those provided by three Hags working as a covey to make for a great way to shipwreck sailors, then entertain them for long enough that they stay on the island until the sun rises and they become Mirage Mullahs themselves, trapped forever and unable to leave, utterly at the Sea Witch's mercy...

So once again, thank you for allowing me to combine the templates together like that. ^^ I'll be going for a more Charisma-based build and using Dread Necromancer for my Mystical Might side, along with the Dread Witch prestige class.  For the side that's supposed to reflect my Physical Might, would Hexblade work, or does the small amount of spellcasting it gets disqualify it from that?

indarkestknight

It'll be interesting to see how you handle being unable to leave your oasis for more than 24 hours, Kunoichi.

For those looking for non-wyrmling options for a true dragon characters, there are a few. very young black and brass dragons are the equivalent of a 10th level character, very young copper dragons are the equivalent of 11th level characters, and very young white dragons are the equivalent of 9th level characters, with young white dragons being the equivalent of 12th level characters. Sapphire and Battle dragons and  are comparable to Copper, Fang, Ethereal, and Shadow dragons are comparable to Brass and Black dragons.

I would, however, given the nature of Elliquiy, caution that very young dragons are between 6 and 15 years old, and the lower the racial HD, the lower the age is considered to be. Young dragons are between 16 and 25.

Though of course if Zaer so wished for fewer baby dragons he could always increase the ECL cap...  ;D

Sain

If the character is suicidally naive doesn't have trust issues a bag of holding filled with quintessence could be nifty way to get some extra mileage out of that 24h.

Isn't worrying about age kinda redundant for non humanoid fantasy races since their mental capabilities develop at a rate that can't really be compared to human maturation if you're worried about the E rules (then again D&D dragons probably develop much slower  than your average human). Could always play some sort of really old tiny dragon with a stunted growth. Although, when playing a dragon it's understandable to want it to be big :D
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Zaer Darkwail

Hexblades disqualify as little spellcasting (and the variant what I have in my game which I will plan use; it overall boosts hexblade considerable amount) does it plus other class features. So those planning join this game check the house rule stuff in the link what I provided for other game (it has tons fun stuff).

True, young dragons are 6-15 year in age in basic canon but we could rule young dragons are young adults in mental and behavior wise (I do not plan increase the ECL). Anyways I agree 12 HD limit places dragons rather small size scale. So how sounds compromise?

If someone wants play a dragon they give up entirely class level stuff and get off hand 30 HD/LA limit and paragon template (their 'racial HD' gives them both physical and mystical might in form of sorcerer spellcasting). So far red dragon has 28 HD as 'old' and has 11th sorcerer level spellcasting (and room for +2 LA template like Dark creature template or half-vampire). They can enter dragon PrC's if they qualify but cannot enter any other PrC or class even if they qualify.

Lockepick

I've been watching this with some interest, but we still don't have a GM for it, correct?
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Zaer Darkwail

No GM but I am inspired enough do it myself if no GM shows up till next week friday. So you can discuss ideas here safely and design char but no actual sheets done until GM is finalized.

Snake

I have a profile ready for a  Tiefling Vampire Lord if that's feasible.

Using the Monk + Rogue for physical, Dread Necro/Cleric/Master of shadow for Mystic

Zaer Darkwail

Tiefling Vampire Lord is feasible (it fills all 12 levels in third path).

Kunoichi

Quote from: indarkestknight on December 04, 2014, 07:52:35 AM
It'll be interesting to see how you handle being unable to leave your oasis for more than 24 hours, Kunoichi.

I was thinking a custom item of Acorn of Far Travel might be of help there.  A continuous duration version would probably be pretty cheap, although I'm thinking it might be more fun and flavorful to make it a 1/day version with a boosted caster level to increase the duration, so that she'll still have to return to the island every week or so.

Snake

phew i was worried for a bit.

MOnk has alot of special abiilties so I thought it may cross lines into mystic abilities.

BTW on the third path can we fill any empty levels with species HD? Like a half dragon taking dragon HD for example?

Zaer Darkwail

You cannot take dragon HD unless base race you pick has them (or racial dice get converted to dragon dices).

Idea is simple; you got single base race with one inherited template (like half-dragon, half-fiend, half-vampire) and potentially one added template (like vampire albeit I do not let half-vampire + vampire templates stack or work). But it's possible example be Unholy Scion + Lich (as one is inherited and one is added template). Plus whatever base creature/race brings.

Snake

Vampire + vampire lord works because vampire lord modifies the existing template?

Zaer Darkwail

Yeah, but when list what you are, vampire lord is in total +11 LA (including all vampire stuff plus upgrades brought being a 'lord').

Snake

the char I made is a vampir elord that kind of behaves like a succubus (as that's the root of the tiefling bloodline)

Zaer Darkwail

Sounds okay. Succubus or Incubus? Anyways think legend and such for said char; how it differed from 'standard' monsters besides becoming badass enough being gestalt, powerful monster and paragon creature?

Sain

I'm assuming sphinx has 2 claws, but how would you rule whether or not they (and by extension other handless monsters) can wield weapons / do unarmed strikes with those (assuming non monk)? Fluff wise I'll have the character be able to hold teacup etc. but just wondering about the mechanics part. If they are not normally able to melee attack outside of claws can they still gain attacks from class features like from the Whirling Frenzy Barbarian ACF?

Zaer Darkwail

Claws are natural weapons so whirling frenzy applies to them (or any feature which allows manufactured or natural weapon). Whirling Frenzy fits for claw attacks in shortly said. What comes to manual dexterity, they are paws with Sphinx than just hands with claws so they can hold (clumsily) teacup. But your paragon creatures and so have supreme agility even in hands so you can be surprising flexible and eloquent even with paws but there are physical limits what you can do (just use common sense).

Sain

No manufactured weapons then I suppose. It's a shame that all best ways to increase natural attacks make your characters look very silly.

Snake

necklaces of natural weapons dude.  it's in savage species.

Zaer Darkwail

Yup or use special bracers which were build enhance claw attacks (and enchanting bracers enchants your claws).

indarkestknight

Pretty sure you can get magic fang/greater magic fang cast permanently on your natural weapons, too.

Snake

And my character's legend? I was thinking a sort of the bloodline spawning from a succubus that's a fallen angel.

Zaer Darkwail

Well, that explains tiefling part, but vampire and paragon part? Paragon creatures are often 'born more special' than others but some are self-made paragons through epic scale feats.

Kunoichi

By the way, Sain, might I recommend the Rapidstrike feat?  It'll be another good way to add on an extra attack, in addition to Whirling Frenzy.

Quote from: Snake on December 04, 2014, 01:25:29 PM
And my character's legend? I was thinking a sort of the bloodline spawning from a succubus that's a fallen angel.

Fallen angel turned bloodsucking undead fiend?  Sounds like an interesting legend to me. ^^ What was the event that triggered the angel's fall from grace, though?

Snake

Paragon can also just be a flux of genetics or coincidence by description of the template in the epic level handbook. And Vampire? Perhaps she was a worshipper of the Evening Glory (in libris motris, believes in immortality through undeath for the sake of love.) but in this char's case: it didn't go the way she hoped. and basically went on a rampage.

still brainstorming.

Kunoichi: Love, plain and simple. blinded by love for a mortal that led her to give heaven the finger.