The Lost Legions (OOC/Discussion)

Started by Aiden, April 16, 2009, 01:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiden

So starting off in the Non-Adult until we discuss what we each want from the game.

When it started it was with me and Desan, following the story of men who might have survived or escaped the massacre in the Teutoburg forest.

If some want to have a few run in with native women or return to Roman wives, I am very open to that.

My personal limit, I will not dong any male/male scenes, even if homosexuality was very accepted back in the day.

Any new people who wish to join in on the discussion, feel free to join.

Lyrus

Well I'm the sort of guy who, when I enter Group Roleplays, prefer to focus on the non-adult nature of it. But I'm open, so I'm basically fine for anything people might want to add.
TIS NEITHER RAPE NOR ABUSE
IF YOU ENJOY IT

My Ons & Offs
My Desires
Ambitious Group Roleplay!

Aiden

I want to play a Roman soldier, maybe a 5-10 year vet, very loyal to Rome and very distrustful of the Germanic adviser trained in Roman combat, on the "rebellion" across the forest.

Those who wish to be Roman, we can all be part of the same legion, division.

Kroduk

I generally prefer to focus on the less adult aspects of any game, though I would like to note that I do very much enjoy stabbing things. ^^
Ons and Offs

How can I be lost,
If I've got nowhere to go?
Search for seas of gold
How come it's got so cold?
How can I be lost?
In remembrance I relive.
And how can I blame you
When it's me I can't forgive?

Lyrus

How far in Roman Warfare and Organisation are we talking about? Early Period? Late Period? There were some important reforms as time went by.
IF YOU ENJOY IT

My Ons & Offs
My Desires

Desan

Lost legions..doesn't the time period center around when the germanic tribes began invading europe? Or where there just rebellions, Ill have to check up on that.

Anyways

My ideal character would probably be a recruit, new and clean. Once he see's the horror's of the legions being annihilated, probably be best for him to travel with either another recruit or with a veteran, if there will be more veterans.
And I don’t really give a f-ck, and my excuse is that I’m young.

Aiden

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Empire

This is the approximate time of Roman history the story takes places.

The Lost legions I mentioned are the three legions the Germanic tribes slaughtered. the ones Varus lost.

During the era of the "Roman Empire"

I would want to START the game here (Basically we start the game losing) , or we can start it in before we are called. I do not expect to follow historical accounts, since there was said to be no Roman survivors.

Desan

I think starting where we're losing would probably be best. Jump right into the action!

Anyways, should we keep it in one thread for now (never did a big game before) and just have multiple points of views and how each of us escape?

Federico

I think it's interesting to start after the defeat. No one came back but nothing can be said on when and where a small group of disbanded soldiers died. And there were survivors, at least from the accounts I read.

The battle is the battle at Teutoburg. You can read about it at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Teutoburg_Forest. This places us in 9 AC, under Octavianus Augustus.

To sketch the story, we could start by running away, fighting with some German scouts, then finding by chance a Roman Villa (a farm essentially - not too likely to find one there..) where we could play a last stand - organizing the defense from storming German troops.

.. I was reading while I typed and I found this:

"One fort (or possibly city), Aliso, fended off the Germanic tribes for many weeks, perhaps a few months, before the garrison, which included survivors of the Teutoburg Forest, successfully broke out under their commander Lucius Caeditius and reached the Rhine."
On vacation until September - Ons and Offs | I am a baladeur
He started to dine at Denny's | From Friends

Lyrus

Or we could start out on an en-masse Roman-Germanic struggle, in which the Romans lose, and when you rout, it's usually every man for themselves, except the veterans often try to rally the younger soldiers together. Oooh, I don't mind being a veteran now.
IF YOU ENJOY IT

My Ons & Offs
My Desires

Kroduk

Hm. I may do a rookie. I've never played an unblooded character before.
Ons and Offs

How can I be lost,
Search for seas of gold
How can I be lost?
In remembrance I relive.
And how can I blame you

Lyrus

Is our Legate with us? Or are we just a bunch of stragglers?
IF YOU ENJOY IT

My Ons & Offs
My Desires

Desan

I'd assume we'd come separate groups and our legates are killed off. We find each other eventually?

Kroduk

As long as there's still a signifer around somewhere, I'm fine. Kroldiers don't fight for free. ;)
Ons and Offs

How can I be lost,
Search for seas of gold
How can I be lost?
In remembrance I relive.
And how can I blame you

Desan

Or maybe, whoever the vets are, we come in a group and they lead us recruits to safety.

Who's going to be recruit and who plans to be a veteran?

Lyrus

I'll be a Veteran and Standard Holder. The Flag usually manages to rally the recruits.
IF YOU ENJOY IT

My Ons & Offs
My Desires

Desan

Like stated, I shall be recruit infantry

So:

Lyrus-Vet (Flag holder)
Desan-Recruit (infantry)

Kroduk

Yay! Signifer! You handlez my pay now.
Ons and Offs

How can I be lost,
Search for seas of gold
How can I be lost?
In remembrance I relive.
And how can I blame you

Aiden

How attached are people to keeping it historical accurate (I can bend it for a good story)

IN history the banners were lost, which made it such an overwhelming defeat. SO much that those legions were NEVER replaced/refilled. If I am correct the Roman Empire much later had to nearly beg for the standards lost in that massive defeat.

Lyrus

Oh damn. Well how about I'm the Standard Bearer, lose it in the battle, then become overly depressed later on?
IF YOU ENJOY IT

My Ons & Offs
My Desires

Kroduk

Ons and Offs

How can I be lost,
Search for seas of gold
How can I be lost?
In remembrance I relive.
And how can I blame you

Desan

Lyrus

IF YOU ENJOY IT

My Ons & Offs
My Desires

Federico

Again from wikipedia, to set the spirit:

"Tacitus wrote that many officers were sacrificed by the Germanic forces as part of their indigenous religious ceremonies, cooked in pots and their bones used for rituals. However, others were ransomed, and the common soldiers appear to have been enslaved."

The cavalry attempted to escape. Big move. Run from the Germans cavalry in a forest under heavy rain.

"the highest-ranking officer next to Varus, Numonius Vala, abandoned the troops by riding off with the cavalry; however, he too was overtaken by the Germanic cavalry and killed"

Hm, I could play an eques. Horse lost, and ashamed for having fled. Can hardly be worse.

No reaction at all to my suggestion about Aliso (or just an isolated villa)?
On vacation until September - Ons and Offs | I am a baladeur
He started to dine at Denny's | From Friends

Lyrus

Well I think the whole camping-wandering thing would do for now, before we needed to find a safe haven later on. Or we could go on foot the whole way. Really depends on how you want the story to turn out.

Should I be an Emo Aquilifer or just a Emo Signifer though?

Someone should go as a Centurion. :3
IF YOU ENJOY IT

My Ons & Offs
My Desires