What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

For the 12 or so collective people on the planet who didn't see it.

Master Chief Sucks at Halo 3

Oniya

It might be interesting to make something - don't call it Pokemon, but going on the same sort of concept - with a dark spin to it.  Summoning circles instead of Pokeballs, that sort of thing.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

I already did that, but it was a rip off of an idea that was a rip off of an old video game.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=105408.msg4574394#msg4574394

Oniya

I see I should wander through the group RP board more often - if only for the brain candy.  (Sorry - I've been burned too many times in group games :-\)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Wolfy

Quote from: Oniya on September 13, 2011, 08:37:27 PM
It might be interesting to make something - don't call it Pokemon, but going on the same sort of concept - with a dark spin to it.  Summoning circles instead of Pokeballs, that sort of thing.

Shin Megami Tensei Says high.

Especially the first two for NES, and Devil Survivor/Devil Survivor Overclocked.

:/ In fact, Shin Megami Tensei was doing the Mon's thing way before pokemon made it popular.

Inkidu

I believe Dead Island played it brilliantly.

"It doesn't matter what we do in terms of game-play and controversy or whatever, the rest of September is dead. What else have they got to play?"

Well played, sir. Well played. -_-
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Brandon

Quote from: Sabby on September 13, 2011, 08:16:00 PM
For the 12 or so collective people on the planet who didn't see it.

Master Chief Sucks at Halo 3

I just dont understand. It completely escapes any logical part of my mind why people watch that show. Why do people watch that show? Its never funny and its not clever so I just dont see any point...
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Sabby

Wolfy

Sabby

Inkidu

I beat Rise of Legends. The only thing that bugs me is that they gave you a lot more research than you would ever fully use in the campaign. I don't think I ever fully completed one side's entire tree.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Red Orchestra 2 is pretty cool. I haven't tried MP yet, but it's ... well, it's more accessible than ARMA, but still a lot more realistic than most FPSs these days. There are no crosshairs for firing from the hip, no counter to let you know how much ammo you have left ( you can check by holding down the reload key, but even that only gives you an estimate, like "over half full" ). I'm pretty sure ARMA beats it in the ballistics department, but it does have adjustable sights, so that's a bonus. And it has a suppression system ( which, incidentally, Battlefield 3 will also have - not sure if they're similar, though ).

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on September 14, 2011, 05:15:30 PM
Red Orchestra 2 is pretty cool. I haven't tried MP yet, but it's ... well, it's more accessible than ARMA, but still a lot more realistic than most FPSs these days. There are no crosshairs for firing from the hip, no counter to let you know how much ammo you have left ( you can check by holding down the reload key, but even that only gives you an estimate, like "over half full" ). I'm pretty sure ARMA beats it in the ballistics department, but it does have adjustable sights, so that's a bonus. And it has a suppression system ( which, incidentally, Battlefield 3 will also have - not sure if they're similar, though ).
What are the platforms it's being released on?

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on September 14, 2011, 05:33:54 PM
What are the platforms it's being released on?

I'm pretty sure it's PC exclusive. It wouldn't work well on consoles, I think.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on September 14, 2011, 06:01:40 PM
I'm pretty sure it's PC exclusive. It wouldn't work well on consoles, I think.
Oh, well... crap.

You know I'd have to look at it but it would probably do just fine on consoles. Hell I figured out how to do Total War Shogun 2 on consoles but no one ever listens to me.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on September 14, 2011, 06:05:08 PM
You know I'd have to look at it but it would probably do just fine on consoles. Hell I figured out how to do Total War Shogun 2 on consoles but no one ever listens to me.

The problem is the complexity of the controls. It's not that you couldn't cram it all into the same package, for instance by using the thumbstick for both crouch and prone, but it would be awkward. I mean, on the keyboard there's a separate key for crouch and prone, there's a melee key ( not an insta-kill knife, thank god ), the mouse wheel for adjusting sights, two separate buttons for firing your weapon ( automatic or single shot with an MG, two different throws for grenades ), there's leaning ( and that alone seems complex enough for controls ), there's a key that ... well, I'm not sure what to call it, but you use it both for changing the barrels of MGs and for switching between iron sights and scopes on rifles. There's a key for taking cover, too. The same key is used to bandage. I don't feel like seeing if I can come up with a way of making it work on consoles, but ... it would be clunky, that's for sure.

Sabby

Thats it? o.o That would work on a controller no problem...

Hemingway

Quote from: Sabby on September 14, 2011, 06:16:53 PM
Thats it? o.o That would work on a controller no problem...

All right, just to please you I went through the controls menu. There's a few things I forgot. There's a map and tactical view, and a command system. I don't know if those are actually used, but still. That's another five buttons you need. Unless you're going to start using menus, but ... back to my point about it being doable, but not exactly ... elegant.

Edit: Now, if only my connection wasn't rubbish.

Edit2: A few more things this game does right; a limit to how many people can play snipers ( 1 on the last server I was on, don't know if that's how it usually is, but even so. Everyone hates snipers. ). Teamplay is also important, genuinely so. This is partly due to the nature of the weapons, most of which are bolt-action or semi-automatic with small magazines. And automatic weapons seem pretty inaccurate when firing from the hip or in anything but bursts. I know all games will tell you to fire in bursts, but most games nowadays don't really require that. MW2 and Black Ops are huge offenders in that department. There's absolutely no need in those games to control your fire.

So, yeah. I'm liking the game. It's very old school. Which I think is sort of the point.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on September 14, 2011, 06:14:44 PM
The problem is the complexity of the controls. It's not that you couldn't cram it all into the same package, for instance by using the thumbstick for both crouch and prone, but it would be awkward. I mean, on the keyboard there's a separate key for crouch and prone, there's a melee key ( not an insta-kill knife, thank god ), the mouse wheel for adjusting sights, two separate buttons for firing your weapon ( automatic or single shot with an MG, two different throws for grenades ), there's leaning ( and that alone seems complex enough for controls ), there's a key that ... well, I'm not sure what to call it, but you use it both for changing the barrels of MGs and for switching between iron sights and scopes on rifles. There's a key for taking cover, too. The same key is used to bandage. I don't feel like seeing if I can come up with a way of making it work on consoles, but ... it would be clunky, that's for sure.

Thumb stick for crouch and prone: Press for crouch and hold for prone (or a more classic click/cycle setup).

Melee key could easily fit in.

Actually most of it could be done adopting Crysis 2s methodologies. Using the D-pad for a lot of the adjustments. Totally possible.
It's doable. Ever since they put C&C 3 on consoles (I beat it on consoles too) I've figured anything has got to be easier. The problem is people want to be A.) PC elitists. B.) Lazy developers. 

Sabby

And the best part is, A) never questions B) as long as B) is making a PC exclusive =3

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on September 14, 2011, 08:48:23 PM
And the best part is, A) never questions B) as long as B) is making a PC exclusive =3
I know, right?

Sabby

Ahh, the early days, when Chief was more innocent stupidity then obnoxiousness. He's actually pretty cute here in his cluelessness xD

"Recon"

:( u an ur big wurds

Wyrd

Have you ever seen the "It's a wonderful Live" series by the same guy who did arbby n the chief. Pretty good.
Ragtime Dandies!

Sabby

Yeah, but I didn't know it was his work. One Life Remaining was morbidly hilarious, Hard Justice made me choke on my OJ, and Deus Ex Machina... was okay. It was a good attempt at a Batman/Ironman kind of deal, with a technologically advanced vigilante, but the set up was fucking stupid.

Wyrd

Have you seen the Mass Effect Machinama series yet. now that is one well done series,
Ragtime Dandies!