Warhammer 40k Black Crusade (freeform) - Interest check

Started by HairyHeretic, September 03, 2016, 09:31:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warlock

Think I'll shift to a Slaaneshi Possessed Word Bearer Champion.
Keeping it short, writing from my phone.

Cataclysmic Archangel

I would love to show interest for this.  In fact, I'm fairly certain that about 2 years ago you opened up this game, we all made characters... and then it never actually started.

HairyHeretic

Hmmm .. I don't think that was me. I've both run and played in a few BC games over the years though. It seems like we have enough interest to get this one up and running though.

And on that note .. ploty stuff.

Seems we have two potential bases of operations, with the Rogue Trader and the Pirate. Both offer pros and cons, depending on the situation, and while there's nothing to say we couldn't use both, the players can (generally speaking) only be in one place at one time, and I'd prefer not to split everyone up from the get go.

I could see a down on his luck Rogue Trader engaging in a little pre-emptive salvage operations (that's piracy ;) ) under the right circumstances, as well as running other dubious cargos. Depending where they were going to, trading would offer a nice cover for the other heretics to plot dastardly deeds.

Thoughts?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

TheLaughingOne

A team up between pirates and trader..? He has large cruiser class ship or something, makes for a good platform for pirates to launch from. in exchange, he gets extra firepower and muscle from pirates, and decent share of the loot..?
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

Warlock

Rogue Traders are almost a political entity onto themselves and the dynasties can be quite cutthroat just from its internal family bickering. Likely wouldn't be the first time a minor scion tried to gain a advantage by dealing with Chaos, or alternatively a favored child trying to protect their position from ambitious pretenders.

The usual roles that the Traders fulfill I'd also see as attractive for any follower of Chaos. In the role as colonizer they may be offered an oppertunity to sow the seed of Chaos. As merchants they may be allowed to peddle tainted trinkets amongst other exotic wares. Rogue Traders may also be tasked with reclaiming lost worlds, allowing a cunning cultist to take advantage of the situation to spread their tendrils.

Rogue Traders can also be a quirky bunch, reflected in their choice of followers ranging from Orks to Eldar and even Space Marines. So a rag-tag group of cultist would likely not be the strangest thing of the Trader's entourage.

And at their core they're privateers, which is really just a nicer name for pirate anyway.

TheLaughingOne

Haha, true on the rogue traders being... Quirky. But a xeno can get approv fortraveling with trader.. you bop in with traitor marine.... Not so much ok. Though, hehe, if thry can pass, hubt down loyalist, kill him, take his armor, and disguise inbthat.. double more as can disgrace the guys chapter to...
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

HairyHeretic

If you think about it though, most Imperial citizens will NEVER see a Marine. They'll see pictures, and heroic statues, but never one in the flesh. If a Traitor marine didn't look particularly evil, or mutated, there's a good chance the average Imperial couldn't tell the difference.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TheLaughingOne

oh yeah, but the mutations some traitors sport, the make of their armor, these are things that make a normal person uneasy, and not in the normal way a marine would.

And you do see the heroic statues, prop-novels, and other things. aside from a few distinct traitor chapters, they dont really line up with the standard look of loyalist marines, with work yes, and part of that is killing a loyalist and stealing his armor to defile from the inside while spreading chaos!
My Ons and Offs!

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Landshark

Also if you go by whats said in the novels, a normal person just being near a CSM can feel the chaos coming off of them in waves making them anywhere from uneasy to violently ill or temporarily insane.

So what is the driving force to make this random band of chaos function together? I mean some will be at direct odds. A feat that only Abadon could accomplish.

TheLaughingOne

Its not completely impossible a group like this could fall together. Perhaps a hood portion dont want to follow failbaddon, his crusades seeming to accomplish little, and for all his talk about how weak horus is he hasnt accomplished anything himself.

Rogue trader, his motivation being revenge on those that largely betrayed him (which he considers the Imperium as a whole) and to make his own fortune, no longer wanting to have to justify his actions to petty bearucrats looking to gouge him for bribes.

Teaming with warband gives him access to superior forces, goods that normally couldnt be obtained and worth a great deal, and chance to earn "favors" from the powers... General chaos undivided follower all around!
My Ons and Offs!

HairyHeretic

In order to find out why the characters would be working together, the question to ask is what motivates them.

For Draugr, he has sworn an Oath of Moment to bring down the Imperium, to destroy one Imperial world in the name of each of his Legion brothers. In short, vengence. Anything that contributes to that goal, he's more or less okay with. He'll work with the others because whatever damage they do to the Imperium brings him that bit closer to his own goal.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Landshark

Thinking of a dark mechanicum. Looks like a regular mechanist because he cuts off mutation and replaces with machine. Its always nice to be invited into a factory that you plan on ussurping. Plus someone has to keep his lordship cruiser flying.

JoanieSappho

All the Plaguemother wants is to make the lives of the Imperium's citizens better.
By bringing them into Papa Nurgle's somewhat sticky embrace.
Aaaaand usually in ways that result in plagues of rapey zombies.

But she can be talked into not sharing that particular blessing with the population of a planet and, well, Nurgle. Not to mention former Hospitaller. She's an ironically good healer, even if the poor dears she treats tend to come back a little bit infected with something. But it won't kill them and they were suffering so much, how could she not infect them just a tiny bit?

She doesn't bring much combat ability - although, being a devoted follower of Nurgle she is incredibly hard to kill or slow down - but she keeps the cultists and such healthy enough to fight, is excessively sweet and maternal and can, if allowed, kind of cause brief zombie plagues if they need some minor chaos.

TheLaughingOne

*Keter, the rogue trader, Keeps extra amounts of Universal Vaccine on hand JIC... Both for himself... And for the good Sister to distribute to planets after she makes sure they are all up to proper snuff..* ;3
My Ons and Offs!

Warlock

The creature known as Sekhess seeks new ways to glorify Chaos, using the living as the canvas to represent hir unending faith by turning them into champions that sow discord and destruction in the name hir gods. A muse that whispers promises of the never ending pleasures and release that comes from being enslaved by an all-consuming devotion. Even those already on the path have the oppertunity to descend to new depths of depravity to become the perfect servants, bringing them closer to their ultimate rewards for their convictions.

As a Gol Vorbak, Possessed, Sekhess is capable of altering hir form to appear as normal marine and even gazing into the empyreal hellscape of the warp to guide ships as a Navigator would on an Imperial Ship. Sekhess also has traits inherited from hir union with a Daemonette along with those of a Space Marine, making hir a seductive and dangerous enemy.

Landshark

Quote from: Sun Wukong on September 06, 2016, 05:30:41 PM
Mine were mostly villains in that they only served themselves. Every now and then they'd do 'the right thing' but only when it served their purposes. IE raiding orcs/chaos marines etc. for their own gain. I'd definitely be up for having a read of their history, sounds fun. My chapter's only honour was a sort of tribal code of basic rules. Things like 'Don't stab your friend in the back, stab anyone outside the chapter while they're sleeping but if you fight your own do it head on' and 'Anyone can challenge the chapter master to ritual 1 on 1 combat'. Fairly sure me and a few others worked on some rules and I remember the chapter master being an absolute monster in duels because he's been through so many to get there.

This sounds very much like the Red Corsairs. Rogue marines who technically are chaos but really more like pirates.

HairyHeretic

Ok, I've opened an OOC thread here where we can discuss game related stuff in more detail.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Urbanzorro

Still room in this for another character? If so color me interested!
I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Urbanzorro

I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Ironwolf85

got a character, I'll be watching this.
made a berserker.
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

HairyHeretic

Pop on over to the OOC thread I linked earlier, there's more discussion ongoing.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

DartimusRae

Waah! I'm craving a warhammer RP, but I'm too fanatical for the true Emperor-God upon his Golden throne (I run black templar armies)... Of only there was a way to fit in a non-heretic, even temporarily....

HairyHeretic

Pop over to the OOC thread, we can kick some ideas around :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die