News:

Main Menu

Good Fantasy Species?

Started by Xenphir, September 26, 2013, 01:00:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

King Serperior

Good fantasy species?  Well.....I really am fond of Lamia/Naga, perhaps some Centaur thrown in for good measure  ;)

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

Lancelot

Since we're on the topic of 'taurs' I would highly recommend a Minotaur. They're an embodiment of brute force.

Oniya

Felitaurs are kind of fun, too.  I like the idea of thinking about how a 'taur culture would differ (especially technologically) from the standard bipedal configuration.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Xenphir

I like all taurs so far, but the felitaur is new to me. Sounds like an amazing cat :O

Nadir

My favourite mythical creatures are reptile-based, mostly. Winged snakes, Quetzalcoatl, dragons, nagas... yup, they are wonderful fun ^w^

RedPhoenix

Cattaur talk reminds me of Wemics.

Pretty awesome.  ^-^
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

Nadir

I don't know why but that reminds me of owlbears

Moraline

Thundercats?

Oniya

Quote from: RedPhoenix on September 29, 2013, 01:45:26 PM
Cattaur talk reminds me of Wemics.

Pretty awesome.  ^-^

I couldn't remember the D&D name, but yes.  I've also seen them with other great cats (like tigers and panthers).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Lancelot

I wonder how well a Canitaur would work.

Hemingway

Magic the Gathering has a few I like. Kor, for instance, are pretty neat. Magic also has some interesting takes on more traditional fantasy races, like the elves of Lorwyn, who have horns ( and hooves, I believe ). And humans ( and other creatures ) of a particular shard of Alara, Esper, all of whom have body parts replaced with metal. Which makes them look badass.

I'm also very much a fan of vampires. In particular World of Darkness vampires, the more traditional Dracula type, and the vampires from the MtG plane Zendikar, who have a more tribal society.

What, else, what else?

Lancelot

Can you mention Vampires without mentioning their counterfoil? Werewolves, or Therianthropes in general are an amazing species - or, at least form of a species.

Xenphir

Werewolves are an odd species to me. No idea why but I always forget about them. xD

Oniya

I made a race of semi-controlled therianthropes in the first (still unpublished) book I ever wrote.  I thought 'Why should wolves have all the attention?'  :D

Jag

Quote from: Dim Hon on September 29, 2013, 01:40:39 PM
My favourite mythical creatures are reptile-based, mostly. Winged snakes, Quetzalcoatl, dragons, nagas... yup, they are wonderful fun ^w^

Scales are of the good. *nods*
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Madriv

I'm partial to satyrs/fauns. And lacking them, I'll add to the dwarf vote. FEARD THE BEARD!

;)

Inkidu

I like humanoid merfolk (no fish tails, but legs).

Also, winged humanoid bird people. I generally refer to them as buteos.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Zekromnomnom

I really like lizardfolk. I haven't actually seen them used in any fantasy stuff in a way I really liked, but I always liked the idea and I think it would be cool to see something like a D&D setting where they play a larger role. Also, frog people. Just because I think it's a neat idea. Which is weird, because in real life I hate swampy marshy places, but I think they're neat in a fantasy kind of setting.

Also, I tend to like any time someone does something to sort of flip a common fantasy trope on its head. The only example I can think of is how Eberron handles some of the common races, half-orcs and goblinoids, but still. I like seeing those kinds of things.

Florence

Quote from: Inkidu on September 30, 2013, 10:03:10 PM
I like humanoid merfolk (no fish tails, but legs).

Also, winged humanoid bird people. I generally refer to them as buteos.

Isn't a mermaid with legs just a woman?
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Oniya

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on October 01, 2013, 01:18:42 AM

...who can breathe underwater, possibly through gills.  Since this is the public side of the site, I'm going to leave the significance of not needing to use a trachea (or more precisely, not needing to open the epiglottis) to the imagination.

Gob Bee

Pink humanoids generally bore the crap out of me, with exception to dwarves and hobbits.

I won't get into how morals cannot be applied to a whole race (elves can never be 100% good, anything that's green can't be 100% evil no matter how hard people try to write them as such).

As for favorite races? Sentient zombies (liches), anything reptilian or amphibian, ogres, trolls, goblins, orcs, bugbears, the like. My DM knows better than to make bad guys out of any of those races, I'll just bring them to our side and/or annoy the hell out of him by calling him a speciest for a week until he gives in.

I always like bringing out my goblin librarian or half-orc shaman (whose parents are happily married, by the by, and the mother is the orc) to shush the nay-sayers.

Inkidu

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on October 01, 2013, 01:18:42 AM
They still have scales and fins and webbed feet/hands. :P

Just no giant lower-body encompassing fish tail.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Drake Valentine

*Takes out his list.*

Harpies
Naga
Demons

Mimics
Orcs
Minotaurs
Satrys(sp?)
Chimeras
Alraune
Goblins
Mermaids
Dark Elves/Drow (Whichever some may relate to them as, but I think they are different?)
Gargoyles
Sphinxes

Bold are personal favorites.

And other monstrous humanoids and things of that ilk.

But out of all that, I do believe I like Minotaurs the best. I mean, who doesn't like a huge brute smashing face in, wearing a loin cloth? Kind of like, medieval Hulks but less green and more hairy....

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Zekromnomnom

Something I forgot to mention, since I've been on a huge Skyrim kick lately. I love the idea of the Falmer.

A few other more...I dunno, kind of out there concepts I like are the idea of ghouls, but not the undead kind, more like the way they were in...I think it was some Lovecraft story? Where basically they're just like deformed cannibal humans? And speaking of Lovecraft, the half human half fish people from that one story. Where the humans in this fishing village fell on hard times and they were offered prosperity and immortality if they would breed with these fish monsters that I think were servants of Dagon, but I might be mixing some things up. These just seem like good things for scarier kinds of stories.

And one more I like is the idea from Final Fantasy IX where the
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Black Mages are like living dolls that are made in a factory.
Also Freya's species.

Oniya

Quote from: Zekromnomnom on October 01, 2013, 04:48:31 PM
Something I forgot to mention, since I've been on a huge Skyrim kick lately. I love the idea of the Falmer.

A few other more...I dunno, kind of out there concepts I like are the idea of ghouls, but not the undead kind, more like the way they were in...I think it was some Lovecraft story? Where basically they're just like deformed cannibal humans?

Pickman's Model was the story.

Quote from: Zekromnomnom on October 01, 2013, 04:48:31 PM
And speaking of Lovecraft, the half human half fish people from that one story. Where the humans in this fishing village fell on hard times and they were offered prosperity and immortality if they would breed with these fish monsters that I think were servants of Dagon, but I might be mixing some things up. These just seem like good things for scarier kinds of stories.

The village was Innsmouth, and several of his stories refer to someone having 'the Innsmouth look'.