The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mia h

Quote from: Far eyes on April 08, 2016, 01:52:57 PM
For a long time i had the sneaking suspicion that the american style endless "Series" is a rotten way to tell any story. For some it kind of works (Star trek, Babylon 5)
Babylon 5 was planned as 5 year story right from the beginning, and only just managed to make to year 5.

Arrow has probably suffered because the production company has gone for 1 superhero show to 4 in 2 years. As the grimmest of the 4 shows it's the hardest to get right, and when it spends the first 8 episode setting up Legends of Tomorrow the rest of the season is going to be a little off. One thing I think they'd be smart to do is take a leaf out of Gotham's book and have half season focus on a different villain.

As for Castle, it's just a show that's gone on a little too long.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Far eyes

Ha i actually did not know Babylon 5 was a planed out series
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

What he means: "I like lesbians".
A/A
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180557.0

mia h

Well it didn't exactly go to plan, it was under threat of cancelation during season 4, so bits of what would have been in season 5 were brought forward so that the show could have a proper ending if it didn't get picked up for the final season.

Mathim

Apparently one of ABC's networks is picking up a Cloak and Dagger series. Could end up being just a teen drama. We'll see how that pans out. Like with many of the other planned spinoffs.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

With the expansion of the Marvel tv shows, it would be awesome if they added Heroes for Hire to the lineup since they will be introducing Luke Cage and he was a member. Same with adding Misty Knight and Colleen Wing to the shows as they were a part of the team and ran an investigation style agency which would fit in.

If ABC is going for a teen drama superhero show they should do either something like New Warriors, or the one team which had a telepathic raptor, a sort of Raven like character. I think they were called the Runaways?

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 08, 2016, 11:38:31 PM
With the expansion of the Marvel tv shows, it would be awesome if they added Heroes for Hire to the lineup since they will be introducing Luke Cage and he was a member. Same with adding Misty Knight and Colleen Wing to the shows as they were a part of the team and ran an investigation style agency which would fit in.

If ABC is going for a teen drama superhero show they should do either something like New Warriors, or the one team which had a telepathic raptor, a sort of Raven like character. I think they were called the Runaways?

Cloak and Dagger is supposedly going to be broadcast on one of the more teen-oriented channels, is my understanding. So it'll probably be reflected by that demographic.

And yeah, once they get the origin stuff for IF/LC out of the way, they should just combine them for Heroes for Hire instead of having them be flying solo in future seasons. Even Daredevil is going to have a hard time keeping up that momentum without awesome supporting characters like Elektra and the Punisher.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

It'll probably be on Freeform which used to be ABC Family. They've been changing up their programming lately. They rebooted the Mortal Instruments with Shadowhunters, and it seems to mostly be following the book.

I agree it would be easier to eventually bring some of the solo characters together into an ensemble show. Their first seasons serve as their origins, then move into the ensemble Heroes for Hire, The Defenders.

mia h

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 09, 2016, 12:00:14 AM
It'll probably be on Freeform which used to be ABC Family.
That's fairly safe bet as when they announced the show they said it would be on Freeform : The Network for "Becomers"

Mathim

That's what it was, Freeform, I forgot the name since I'd never heard of it before. The article was on imdb but you can probably google it.

I really don't know what they're going to do in terms of a second season of Jessica Jones. Seems like she'd prefer to be one of the Heroes for Hire too. Just throw most of them into that, minus Daredevil and Punisher, and let the group when everyone is together be the Defenders.

Dice

Far eyes

I am not sure how i will end up feeling about Avengers 3, i always hated the whole civil war thing granted i only followed it partially and in the rough but conceptually it never appealed to me and often felt more like everybody was just being a tad stupid about this.
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

A/A

TheGlyphstone

NobodyVery few people liked the Civil War comic plotline. That's a large part of why they are using it In Name Only for the most part, the central issue of this 'civil war' is entirely different.

Dice

I liked most of it. Well, all but how Front line ended.

CaptainNexus616

So heading into the animated DC Movie Verse who here has noticed they are really giving Damien Wayne a huge push. With like four movies focusing on him as of late.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on April 09, 2016, 04:28:35 PM
So heading into the animated DC Movie Verse who here has noticed they are really giving Damien Wayne a huge push. With like four movies focusing on him as of late.

Really not a fan of that kid. I did like the ones that tied their origins together in Justice League War and Throne of Atlantis (was Flashpoint Paradox in that same continuity or no?) But all the Batman-focused ones lately aren't appealing to me, at least not the ones available on Netflix.

SapphireStar

Apparently, according to some reports concerning the Suicide Squad movie there will now be more scenes featuring Batman. I guess those were the ones they wanted to reshoot.

TheGlyphstone

I got the impression the reshoots were to make the whole tone of the movie more comedic, to match up with what people thought they were getting from the trailer.

SapphireStar

That too. But, with the latest news, I'm guessing they hope by adding more Batman into the movie then just the brief cameo they hope to regain some box office mojo after what has happened. BvS has fallen 60 to 80 percent in box office revenue and apparently was narrowly beat out for the the top spot by Melissa McCarthy's The Boss. With The Boss grossing 23.5 million for the weekend and BvS grossing 23.4 million.

Far eyes

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

New spoiled leek of Suicide Squad, or at least its what it really sounds like

A/A

Inkidu

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 09, 2016, 01:33:34 PM
NobodyVery few people liked the Civil War comic plotline. That's a large part of why they are using it In Name Only for the most part, the central issue of this 'civil war' is entirely different.
I actually liked the concept of Civil War (the comic book). I just think that it was doomed. You needed established characters, but you couldn't leave the universe status quo as per usual. It would have caused some permanent shifts that I'm not sure the Marvel Universe could absorb (case in point the magic retcon that happened to Spidy despite Joe Q. Saying no). I mean some stuff changed, but it wasn't nearly drastic enough.

The idea of Super Hero Registry is not a terrible idea, but it would be kind of something you'd end a universe on, so you know it could never happen in a big Universe like DC or Marvel.

Continuity Gordian Knots, whatcha gonna do.

Though I'm happy that the movie is only taking the name. It'll probably have more to do with Hydra. (Trying to keep myself as blind as possible before I go see it.)
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Dice

It's likely going to have a lot to do with Bucky. If I am reading the tea leaves correctly, much of this movie will deal with the past of The Winter Solider.

Far eyes

Quote from: Dice on April 11, 2016, 06:56:35 AM
It's likely going to have a lot to do with Bucky. If I am reading the tea leaves correctly, much of this movie will deal with the past of The Winter Solider.

Hmm thats possible, perhaps they will manage to make it less teeth grinding. I just hope we do not go back to "Tony Stark dos something"

A/A

Dice

Well if the follow the comics at all... they are going to need Bucky when the dust settles. Oh and Carter is in this one... I wonder.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 11, 2016, 12:44:25 AM
Apparently, according to some reports concerning the Suicide Squad movie there will now be more scenes featuring Batman. I guess those were the ones they wanted to reshoot.

Well, Batman's performance was one of the few things that was praised about the film, so no surprises there.

Far eyes

Just saw the 3rd Tailor for Suicide Squad, its looking a bit interesting there is a lot of action in there and i still feel like it could just be more DC can only do Batman but maybe i am more willing to go watch it then before.

Also saw the TMNT2 tailor...   yah no, no...    just no. I have noting ells, just nop. It could work maybe but we all know who this is directed by so it will not. 

A/A