Vampire: The Masquerade - DC By Night

Started by Nicolae, March 23, 2014, 08:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kckolbe

Thanks.  I just bought the VtM book.  I had VtR, but wasn't sure how different they were.  It's still downloading, will be about an hour.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Nicolae

@Flana: Dementation is fine. (As someone whose introduction to V:TM was Bloodlines, I didn't even know there were Dominate Malks until I got into the PnP version.) Hints in tier 3 Dementation? Certainly!

@kckolbe: Sure thing. Just bounce ideas off of us and we'll be happy to help you.
O/O   Ideas

RubySlippers

Oh mighty and wise Storyteller can I take this Merit?

Dual Nature: (2pt) (VPG)
You have two distinct Natures, both of which have an influence on your personality and behavior. When you pick these Natures, be careful to choose Archetypes that are somewhat compatible. Dual Nature does not mean schizophrenia (that is a Derangement).

And kckolbe when your ready PM me your questions and anything you need help with.

Nicolae

@RubySlippers: Yes, you certainly can.
O/O   Ideas

RubySlippers

I sent the character I finished minus Freebie Points I will use those to tweak the character along role-playing lines, I don't min/max usually mostly need to flesh out her things to fit her background.

kckolbe

Still considering concepts, but had an idea for an old noble with a twist.  13th gen is the standard, right?  I was thinking he would be 12th or 13th, having been among the most thin-blooded back when he was sired. 

Cedric Cadigan was a minor noble who'd always preferred to bide his time.  He was a cautious lord, a tendency that remained with him.  He still considers himself too weak to be bold, even though I am sure our chars are stronger than many run of the mill types. 

I'm not sure whether he makes the most sense as Caitiff, Malk, Ventrue, or Toreador.  I seem to remember hearing that Brujah were once cultured.  He might have been sired by one of those and now be different than his fellow clan members.

Disciplines have me a bit confused.  Each Clan starts with 3 Disciplines, but it seems you can buy any Discipline.  What's the significance of the starting ones?
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

AndyZ

Quote from: kckolbe on March 24, 2014, 11:44:14 AM
Thanks.  I just bought the VtM book.  I had VtR, but wasn't sure how different they were.  It's still downloading, will be about an hour.

There's some serious differences.  Nosferatu turn into actual monsters that have to stay in hiding, many clans have different flaws, vigor is called potence, celerity is actually useful, resiliency is called fortitude, no predator's taint, blood potency is called generation and doesn't go up with age, ghouls get their power just from blood and don't require any WP expenditure (and always get Potence), it doesn't cost a dot of Willpower to create a new vampire (but it is against the tradition of the current people in power in the setting)...

You're still using d10s, but the dice work differently as well.  It's not always difficulty 8 and reroll 10s; 6 is more common a difficulty.  1s always subtract, and if you get no successes but at least one 1, you botch.

There's a lot of difference.

Quote from: kckolbe on March 24, 2014, 12:43:05 PM
Disciplines have me a bit confused.  Each Clan starts with 3 Disciplines, but it seems you can buy any Discipline.  What's the significance of the starting ones?

I recommend starting with one dot of each of your three starting Disciplines.  It'll help you get used to stuff.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

kckolbe

Quote from: AndyZ on March 24, 2014, 12:50:10 PM
I recommend starting with one dot of each of your three starting Disciplines.  It'll help you get used to stuff.

So do I have to start with points in Clan disciplines?  Could I spend them all in others?  Each Clan has at least one Discipline I could put a point in.

Intro Thread

RubySlippers

For that concept I would go with Malkavian or Ventrue (if the Sire embraces family members) the others favor Bold in some way save Caitiff. Slow and Steady backed by a major clan and taking your time is a Ventrue virtue in fact.

As for Nosferatu I like them more in VtR you can opt for being unsettling in many ways, some not obvious.

And the ST said clan disciplines only my character chose two and the ST gets to pick the last one to pop up at some point save the scholarly ones like Thaumaturgy anything could creep in.

AndyZ

Yeah, Calrond wants us to start only with Clan Disciplines.

Basically, those are the ones that your Clan is good at and that you don't need a teacher to learn.  They're also cheaper to improve with experience.

Ruby is a Caitiff, which means Clanless, so her rules are a little different.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Nicolae

@kckolbe: A few quick things to go over.
QuoteYour characters will be neonates, so no matter how old they were when they were Embraced, they are relatively young Kindred (less than 50 years old) who are trying to establish themselves in vampire society. They're no longer under the direct supervision of their sires, but they're still newcomers to Kindred society.
The age of your character idea doesn't quite work in this case. Even if they were sired when they were 50 years old, they'd still be less than 100 years old total by now.
QuoteI seem to remember hearing that Brujah were once cultured.
Depending on who you ask, but this is usually referring the Brujah philosopher-kings of Carthage, which was sacked by the Romans under the Ventrues' direction. Again, too far back in history to really apply much to a modern character.

And yes, only Clan Disciplines.
O/O   Ideas

kckolbe

Oh wow, my bad on that.  Scratch True Brujah then.  My download has failed twice now, both times over halfway done.  Fortunately rpgnow doesn't charge by the attempt.

I'll go back to the drawing board on the concept.

Intro Thread

kckolbe

Question about Virtues.  According to the site, you start with one point in each, then get 7 points.  Is there a way to lower that and get something out of it?  Those numbers were just higher than I visualized his scores being.

Intro Thread

Nicolae

To my knowledge, no, unless there is a Flaw that lowers one of them and gives you more Freebie points.
O/O   Ideas

RubySlippers

You could be a noble just would have to be more recent a Scion of an Old World lineage for example would work you might be from Russian nobility who left when the Revolution was happening and an ancestor embraced you OR a noble from some other nation. There are options. In fact it would work well you could have a limited military background easily a stint at a Military Boarding School and a few years in the Royal Army if British as an officer comes to mind. Or if not military sided went to a University and work in Charity. There are options.

As for the Brujah not all are thugs in fact any kind of rebel would work an Academic, a Social Critic Writer, a Religious Leader, Blood Cult Leader, Hacker etc.

Nicolae

Ah, that didn't even occur to me. There are European nobles alive today, and a Brujah could be a very interesting direction for one of them.
O/O   Ideas

RubySlippers

Outside the Box Gamers are fun, especially building budget CCG decks.

In fact there are nobles in Europe, in Asia, in the Americas (descendants of Portuguese and Spanish aristocracy or Eastern European nobles fleeing the rise of Communist Russia and those lands) so there are options its just more what approach is taken.

zenpai

I was look at the gangels coyotes And l know very few thing about there lore. So what would have to do play then.
I heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Life seems harsh, and cruel. Says he feels all alone in threatening world. Doctor says: "Treatment is simple. The great clown - Pagliacci - is in town. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. "But doctor..." he says "I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

Rorschach's Journal. October 12th, 1985: Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."

VonDoom

Always interested in Vampire the Masquerade. For this, I might try a Tremere; since this may well pertain to others, this question is probably better asked in advance and this thread: is there any particular way you wish to handle Thaumaturgy paths and rituals?

I have a particular Tremere character in mind I have played before (but whose game died off all too quickly) and in that incarnation, he used a path from the Blood Magic book called 'Mastery of the Mortal Shell'. For a V20 game, it may need a bit of updating/nerfing, but it's simply such a stylish and frankly scary magic, so if you're amendable I'd rather enjoy reviving the character as he was (though would of course be willing to adjust the path if you aren't). Plus, I'm sure some here might enjoy having their bodies immobilized and played with like a string-puppet.  >:)
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Nicolae

@zenpai: I'd recommend reading up on them and the game setting until you're more comfortable with how much you know about it.

@VonDoom: I'd rather stick to the V20 book for now. If it's in there, with very few exceptions, you can use it.
O/O   Ideas

Ebb

Greetings, all. I've submitted a Nosferatu character to Calrond who looks likely to get acceptance. This looks like a fun group to be a part of.

Florence

Hehe, I'm putting some finishing touches on Amara Lewis, Brujah hacker :D
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

RubySlippers

Quote from: Calrond on March 24, 2014, 05:52:03 PM
@zenpai: I'd recommend reading up on them and the game setting until you're more comfortable with how much you know about it.

@VonDoom: I'd rather stick to the V20 book for now. If it's in there, with very few exceptions, you can use it.

zenpie I will list some movies/tv shows good for inspiring Brujah ideas:

Lost Boys (all three)
Blade (Frost)
Forever Knight (Main Character)

This they are rebels now like I said that can be Thugs, or Academics or Writers or Hackers or a Pimp or a Hitman and even Old World types that oppose the ideals of the others rebelling on their own clan in a way while supporting the Elders. If you want ideas what kind of concept do you have to start?

Florence

Can't go wrong with Lost Boys :D

-kicks Netflix for not having it anymore-
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

RubySlippers

Well idea is to rebel against something, this is a broad area for example look what impact some writers had on the American Revolution using the quill to cause rebellion and inspire others would fit.