News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

M.E.C.H.S. (interest thread)

Started by Greytrail, May 06, 2013, 03:34:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greytrail

The Lizards came out of nowhere.  There was no warning, no chance of escape. Over a quarter of Earth's population died in those first few days as we were bombarded from orbit. And four decades of warfare whittled down another half. Earth herself is also heavily damaged and is barely habitable.

Now that the Lizards have been pushed back, Humanity needs to expand. With technologies stolen and invented from the hell that was war, we push out, determined to begin anew.

This is where you come in.

Enter the Mobile Enhanced Colony Habitation Service, your employer.

Several former enemy worlds are ripe for terraforming for Human habitation. Armed with the best tech money can buy, we're off for adventure on a distant world. Danger, giant humanoid machines at our beck and call, teamwork and adventure!

What's not to love?

Okay then, recruits, down to the nitty-gritty! First of all, this is a storytelling game, though I'm leaning towards using a point system essentially only for clarification here and there. It would be based on the White Wolf system as I find it easy to use. This was created (or stolen) from a variety of games, movies and television for the enjoyment of its creators. If you think something looks familiar, you're probably right.

I will only accept people who want to interact with other players with as much realism and fun as we can create in a fantastic setting. This also means that I will accept and refuse people as I see fit. As GM, I also reserve the right to prod a character if the player does not post for some time. I will also be strict about the passage of time. No offense to anyone, but I'm tired of RPs where one day takes two weeks to go by! A reasonable schedule will be worked out.

I look forward to your interest.

Addendum: Further detailed information on the world build may be found at- https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=172789.0

Silk

I'm going to put myself down as interested but unsure at this point.

Greytrail

Quote from: Silk on May 06, 2013, 06:45:48 AM
I'm going to put myself down as interested but unsure at this point.
Fair enough! Did you get a chance to peruse the world building info? I'm always happy to get input from an experienced RPer.

Silk

Well I can only speak for myself, but for a non-system game there is a lot of technicals your asking for your playerbase to know, this isn't nessersarily a bad thing but it does make it fairly daunting for people who are only browsing for potential RP's, which is a good portion of what you'll find in public advertised games. When people are just browsing to come across multiple paragraphs of technical information and jargon it comes off as a bit elitist and offputting. But then I adhere to the rule of K.I.S.S (Keep it simple stupid) and let the world develop overtime instead of having it all thrown at you at once.

Greytrail

My background in table top RPG must be showing.

Baalborn87

Greytrail

Glad to meet you! You have been our first volunteer, but hopefully things will pick up. Wort case scenario will be a bump in a month or when I have more game information before then.

Red Offerings

I'll bite. I'm reading over the other thread atm.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle.

Red Offerings

Well, it is a lot to read. Not that you asked for my opinion but I would suggest putting important information for general interested people and only showing people the technical stuff when they actually go into making a character.

How many people are you looking for? This sounds like it could be gigantic.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle.

Greytrail

Fair enough. I will look into streamlining the intro and clarifying the world build information as voluntary due to it's wordiness. Glad to have you interested, I skimmed your work and I like your style.

As for being gigantic, I've never run a game, so I will do my best to ensure everyone has a good time, but I think 6 or perhaps 8 would be good. There are also personnel aboard the central living platform that can be taken as characters, though at the moment I am treating them as NPCs.

Baalborn87

I may have missed it in the fluff. Are we Mercs or a proper regiment?

Red Offerings

Thanks. Yeah the smaller in some cases the better.  It's a real challenge getting the a large amount of people to be interested in the same thing. I like how the pilots of the mechs have some of the same issues that princeps have in WH40K. Hmmm, I may have a couple people who would join this thing with me. I'll ask.

Red Offerings

Quote from: Baalborn87 on May 12, 2013, 04:34:14 PM
I may have missed it in the fluff. Are we Mercs or a proper regiment?

My interpretation -- which could be flawed -- was more that we'd be a part of this corporation. Kind of like Weyland-Yutani with its joint terraforming and military subsections.

Baalborn87

like a mechanicum explorator fleet (40k)

Red Offerings

Rave

I'm game for this, the only thing is that for me personally, the information is all over the place. I'm a versatile guy but my experience with Mech themes is slightly limited, so a lot of terms used to describe the scenario that may seem common and understandable to you, is lost on me. I suppose it just needs a tiny bit of structure, if you are willing to take the small critisism, for interested players who won't be as experienced in the theme like myself.  :-)

Either way, I'm interested. Hopefully I'll come to understand things better as time goes along.

Red Offerings

Rave's one of the people I'm dragging in here. :D I'm already developing a vague idea for a character!

Silk

Glad to see some love for this idea :)

Red Offerings

Yeah I think there's a lot of potential here.

Rave

Greytrail

Quote from: Rave on May 12, 2013, 05:54:01 PM
I'm game for this, the only thing is that for me personally, the information is all over the place. I'm a versatile guy but my experience with Mech themes is slightly limited, so a lot of terms used to describe the scenario that may seem common and understandable to you, is lost on me. I suppose it just needs a tiny bit of structure, if you are willing to take the small critisism, for interested players who won't be as experienced in the theme like myself.  :-)

Either way, I'm interested. Hopefully I'll come to understand things better as time goes along.
Glad to see the interest! My interest in this genre comes from wanting to see it treated seriously, not like a silly 'giant robot cartoon'. Frankly, I barely understand it myself, so we'll all flesh out the details as we go along. The world build thread is only meant as an information dump accessible to anyone that wants said details and to explain important high points about the little alternate universe myself and my packmates created. I'll be looking to detail things out in a coherent way with time.

Oh, and some of the terms I just made up for flavor. I like lingos in games, it's a quirk.

Greytrail

To all of you, thanks for your interest and hello!  Together we can all make this a fun universe, so feel free to add in your two cents at the world build, which I'm off to update after this. The important bullet points should be there to help with ideas to fit your budding character concepts into what I/we know of the world. Clearly, more details will need to happen, and they will, so ask away and we'll all build a mythos.

Red Offerings

Sweet! Well for now my biggest question is when you think you'll want to kick this bad boy off?

Wargtass

Mechs... and I don't have to GM it? Hell yeah.  8-)

Where do I sign up and what's the details? Because everyone seem to be clear on that point except me...  ???
O/O

ShadowFox89

Looks a bit interesting, I might make a wrench wench. Someone's gotta keep the gear in shape.
Call me Shadow
My A/A