YouTube and other Flash issues

Started by Darwishi, July 01, 2012, 12:30:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darwishi

Okay! I've tried everything I can think of... including, but not limited to, uninstalling and reinstalling both Firefox and Chrome (I'd do it to Explorer but Windows doesn't let you), uninstalling flash, reinstalling the new version onto each browser.  And...I don't even know what all else.

So here's the problem.  About two weeks ago my YouTube on Chrome just randomly stopped playing audio.  It's not limited to just YouTube, but also ArmorGames.com, the videos and games still play fine...except there is no sound.  Yes the speakers are on, and yes the volume is turned up all the way (both on the player and on the speakers).  No sound.

I finally found a temporary fix for Firefox.  Which is essentially this option under Help> Troubleshooting Information> Reset Firefox.  And it does what it sounds like, it resets...something, in Firefox that allows me to play YouTube videos for a while with sound! Until I get error messages saying the videos can't load, I hit that button again, and magically they can load again.

Okay so here's the problem with Firefox.  When I got to my photobucket account, the places where you click to copy the link?  Those don't show up, not until I switch pages, but it's not long enough to actually grab a link.  I like Firefox because as of a month or two ago Chrome decided it wanted to not save messages if I hit the back-button.

I play on a chat rp site where there's a relatively small buffer of text.  If you go over it, the system pops up that you went over it.  I used to hit the back-button and voila, my post would be there.  But no more!  I have to figure if I'm typing for too long and then ctrl+a and ctrl+c to copy everything.  Not a huge deal, but when I forget I just lost a massive post.  It's beyond frustrating.

I'm giving all of this information because I would like to continue using Chrome.  However if YouTube doesn't work, then I'll have to use Firefox in addition.  And that's just annoying.  Plus using Firefox isn't a solution to the problem it's just a work-around and I still have no idea what's wrong.

Also, I get the same issues with Explorer (but I mostly use that just for email so I don't care).  The crazy thing is that I have Creeper World 2 from KnuckleCracker.com on my system.  Fun game, totally done in flash, and it works and plays fine directly on my computer.

I honestly have no clue what's going on, and I feel like it's only a matter of time until Firefox stops working with YouTube as well.

Oh, I also run Vista 64-bit, dunno if that matters or not.

Thanks!

Oreo

I know it wont help with the Youtube issue, but do you have Lazarus? It will keep you one click away from restoring a multitude of posts, let alone the one you might have just lost. It has saved me more times than I can count.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Darwishi

I do now!  I saw that a while ago and totally forgot to install it.  I'll just have to see how it works.

Now just to figure out why YouTube and Flash audio doesn't work in Chrome and Explorer.  Really more just Chrome. >.>  I like the browser, I even have an add-on that allows me to set up a refresh on my pages with just a couple of clicks.  That's how I keep up with posts on E.

Darwishi

Small update.

YouTube completely fails to play any movies on Firefox, and I downloaded Opera, same issue.  Firefox also fails to even show a lot of embedded videos that aren't on Opera.

Windows Media Player does still play with sound even on Chrome, but YouTube and all Flash-based things do not play sound, but they do play video.

This is starting to impact my work, I've had a couple of clients ask me if I can do a certain type of animation and I'm unable to tell them because I have no way to look at their examples.

Also, I did look at the latest version for Adobe Flash Player and it has a little fine-print blurb about not supporting several 64-bit systems including Vista (which is what I have).  Could that be the issue? And if so, is there any way to go to an earlier version of flash to test that theory out?

Thanks!

Darwishi

Alright, this is mostly in case anyone else is having these issues. 

Apparently RealPlayer has this thing where you can download and record videos off of various websites, so I uninstalled RealPlayer, I don't really use it anyway...and now Firefox plays videos!

...without sound.  So I'm still having audio issues, but one part of the puzzle solved.  Real Player may be causing issues.  Now I just have to figure out why the audio isn't playing.  I'm scouring through all of the Adobe forums for answers. 

Oreo

It works for me on my HP desktop. I am running Vista Home Premium, 64bit. With Adobe flash player 10.1, Mozilla Firefox version 3.6.19. Though my laptop works with version 3.6.22. I know the Firefox is woefully old, but it allows me to run all my precious addons.

Edit. Did you reboot and do you have all your codecs?

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

Darwishi

It worked for me too at Flash Player 10.1. =P  They juuuust went to Flash Player 11.  It prompted me, so I installed it, and I didn't think anything of it.  Until all this crap started happening. >.>

There are massive issues with it.   If I don't have a codec it's normally a very obscure one.  Not what YouTube and Armor Games run on.  Although with this new player it could be some kind of a conflict for all I know.  I'm gonna hunt and see if I can't find an old version of Flash to install, cause it worked fine and dandy before this last upgrade.

Vekseid

May want to try installing the community codec pack linked in the thread on top of this forum. It will tell you if something is messed up with your codecs.

Darwishi

I tried and it gave me this error:

500 - Internal server error.
There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

Oreo

Darwishi

That's the place I went to, clicked the CCCP download, it directs me to a page where my download will automatically start, and then the error message comes up after like fifteen seconds.

Oreo

Ahhhh, okay. I thought you meant you got the error message from trying to link from E. : (

Did you try the installation as Run By Administrator? I used to run into that issue a lot with Vista.

Darwishi