News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Math Problem

Started by Oreo, December 13, 2016, 03:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oreo

Putting this one up because I usually don't miss the mark on these, but this one managed to get me to come up with a wrong answer. It is trickier than it appears.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Beguile's Mistress

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
60?

Oreo

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

Gadifriald

70!
I am a mighty ravisher of captive damsels and princesses!

Oreo

Quote from: Gadifriald on December 13, 2016, 03:36:30 PM
70!
Nope. <_<

Thank you both for playing though. *hugs*

Gadifriald

I just realized that I totally pewed the scrooch on that one because I messed up on what the French fries count as. Still don't have an answer as my other deduction would lead to BeMi's...

Oreo

Quote from: Gadifriald on December 13, 2016, 03:50:35 PM
I just realized that I totally pewed the scrooch on that one because I messed up on what the French fries count as. Still don't have an answer as my other deduction would lead to BeMi's...
That is the one that got me too Gadi.

Gadifriald

After the clew you sent...25?

Oreo

Quote from: Gadifriald on December 13, 2016, 03:53:50 PM
After the clew you sent...25?
Nope >.< That was my first answer

Gadifriald

I pewed the same scrooch again...*BANGS STUPID HEAD ON DESK*

15...fuck me, it has got to be 15...

Oreo

You got it Gadi. That thing drove me nuts. Now you know why I posted.

Gadifriald

To torture the rest of us! That is why you posted it! Cruel Oreo! CRUEL!!!!!!! ;D

Oreo

Yes, I have been caught. I needed to share the pain. I was so upset at myself for missing things.

AmberStarfire

Brackets would help clarify it for me.

I assume 5+(1 x 10)=15?

Oreo

Quote from: AmberStarfire on December 13, 2016, 04:30:11 PM

I assume 5+(1 x 10)=15?
Correct.

Oniya

In the absence of brackets, multiplication/division takes precedence over addition/subtraction.  The bit that got me was counting French fries.  (And there better be some Baileys in those chocolate shakes at that price.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Oreo

Quote from: Oniya on December 13, 2016, 09:27:45 PM
In the absence of brackets, multiplication/division takes precedence over addition/subtraction.  The bit that got me was counting French fries.  (And there better be some Baileys in those chocolate shakes at that price.)
That is what nailed me too Oniya.

Beguile's Mistress

I'm so used to people who throw the rules out the window on a daily basis that I completely overlooked the important part.

midnightblack

First line says that 3 cups amount to 30, so for 1 cup, I'll call it A, we have A=10. The second line says that A plus 2 burgers gives 20, so 1 burger, calling it B, gives B=5. Third line says that B plus 4 packs of fries gives 9, so 1 pack, calling it C, gives=1. Finally, adding B to the product between A and C we get 15.
The Midnight Lodge (O2 thread & completed tales compendium)
Thy Nightly Chambers (requests) updated!
Zerzura (albeit short, the best collaborative story I've ever completed here)

Oreo

Quote from: midnightblack on December 14, 2016, 06:43:17 AM
First line says that 3 cups amount to 30, so for 1 cup, I'll call it A, we have A=10. The second line says that A plus 2 burgers gives 20, so 1 burger, calling it B, gives B=5. Third line says that B plus 4 packs of fries gives 9, so 1 pack, calling it C, gives=1. Finally, adding B to the product between A and C we get 15.
Indeed ;D

CopperLily

3 Cokes = 30, Coke = 10
1 Coke + 2 Burgers = 20; 2 Burgers = 20 - 10; 2 Burgers = 10, 1 Burger = 5
1 Burger + 4 Fries = 9; 4 Fries = 4, Fries = 1
Burger + Fries * Coke. PEMDAS. Fries * Coke = 10. 10 + Burger = 15

Quote from: AmberStarfire on December 13, 2016, 04:30:11 PM

I assume 5+(1 x 10)=15?

The key to all of these problems is that, as equations, they're poorly written.

Had someone in a local gaming group where this happened - posing a puzzle about a retail store and theft. After much arguing, my answer was: "This is a poorly posed question, but the answer is 30 + N, where N is the cost of inventory." This didn't seem to satisfy them.

Inkidu

Actually this one doesn't need parantheticals
h+f*s=x

Using the values by solving the other two equations:

s+s+s=30
3s=30
3 =3
s=10

10+h+h=20
10+2h=20
-10      -10
2h=10
2     2
h=5

5+f+f+f+f=9
5+4f=9
-5    -5
4f=4
4   4
f=1

So assuming all these values are right (check mah proofs).

5+1*10=x

Well going back to order of operations

10*1=10 Multiply first.

5+10=15 add next

x=15

EDIT: Or 997 calories. XD
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

CopperLily

Quote from: Inkidu on December 15, 2016, 02:40:45 PM
Actually this one doesn't need parantheticals

The world never hurts for having more parantheticals for the same of clarity.

But this may also be why I have occasionally made a principled stand against "simplifying" equations.

Inkidu

Quote from: CopperLily on December 15, 2016, 08:05:43 PM
The world never hurts for having more parantheticals for the same of clarity.

But this may also be why I have occasionally made a principled stand against "simplifying" equations.
Oh yeah, no doubt putting that in parentheses would have have clarified it, and I'm not math genius. The answer doesn't violate the order of operations rules of algebra.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

AmberStarfire

I didn't actually write it down. I prefer to work things out in my head.

However, it's been a very long time since I was in high school and studied maths (20 years), with the exception of some accounting work (and I do my own).

There's that Bodmas rule, which I'd probably learned at one point and forgot. Knowing it would've clarified things, from what I can tell. Not knowing that rule, if it wasn't the other number it wasn't, then that left the answer. Process of elimination I guess.