Intrest Check - Steam Trek: Future Retro

Started by GloomCookie, June 09, 2010, 09:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GloomCookie

Play the game here
Open to anyone approved for their characters.

Currently looking for:
Kirk - Keenser - Madeline - Chekov

Hey everyone, it's me again  ;D I was browsing Deviant Art this morning when I stumbled across this awesome picture:

Combine that with JJ Abrams and the new movie, and I have the most awesome idea for a new RPG.  So without further ado, allow me to introduce my idea.

A History of Steam
While computers work and function in this new universe, the Enterprise and ships like her run on large steam generators and heavy machinery, rather than the complex electronic gadgetry we often see in the movies and shows.  The bright, shiny lights are somewhat more subdued, and most common items rely on small gears and pieces.

Phasers no longer exist, instead replaced by large guns that fire on rotating turrets.  Torpedoes resemble those from today, being long tubes with heavy explosives on the end.  Thrust is achieved by venting high-pressure gasses through the impulse manifolds, and warp is still achieved by running high-energy gas through the warp coils.  Things aren't quite as fast as the electrical versions, but they work, and they work well.

The idea is that we play through the adventures of the Enterprise and her crew but with a steampunk atmosphere.  I'm looking for people interested in playing her crew as shown above: Scotty, Sulu, McCoy, Kirk, Gaila, Keenser, Madeline, Chekov, Uhura and Spock.  I think a few cute and sexy adventures would be lots of fun.  Since we know most about her crew already, I won't require detailed character sheets, just pick out a character :)

Oh, and I call Gaila!  She's wicked sexy.

Please reply if you are at all interested!  I like feedback :D
My DeviantArt

Ons and Offs Updated 9 October 2022

Haibane

This could be interesting... I'll show an interest in Uhura if I may.

Side arms would be steampunk rifles and pistols I take it?

Perhaps if I may, I could go a bit gothic Lolita with the outfit?

http://maddierose90804.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/gothic_lolita_90.jpg

GloomCookie

Wear the style you like ;) I think she looks sexy in the outfit above, but that's fine.  I'm not gonna be picky.

And yes, firearms will be pistols and rifles.  No stun setting anymore :P

Oh, and the original pic incase you like color with your piccies

My DeviantArt

Feh. I'd be all over this if I had any muse.

GloomCookie

Quote from: Karma on June 09, 2010, 10:09:46 AM
Feh. I'd be all over this if I had any muse.

*hugs* I'd let you borrow mine, but she's busy watching Top Gear.  Little bugger.
My DeviantArt

Geradine

count me in. i guess i'll take... the half mad, tech savvy scottsman. *bows before the awsomeness that is scotty*
The view from behind a scope puts everything into perspective.

There are many things you can tell about a person by the way he/she writes. -me, i think.

GloomCookie

Yay!  Ok so we have Uhura, Scotty and Gaila chosen.  Come on peeps... we still got openings for Spock, Keenser, McCoy, Kirk, Madeline, Chekov and Sulu.  So if you want a spot, you better hurry!

Oh, and I'm a bit tipsy after taking sleep meds and snoozing for 10 straight hours... woo...
My DeviantArt

Haibane

Karma, you'd make a very good ambiguously gendered Sulu. Come on, you know you want to...

Yes, I would! But I'd get a few posts out and be unable to continue, leaving you all in the lurch. =/

GloomCookie

Quote from: Haibane on June 10, 2010, 05:14:17 AM
Karma, you'd make a very good ambiguously gendered Sulu. Come on, you know you want to...

So THAT's why George Takei turned gay!  I knew it!

Hehe come on Karma... you can hop in and if your muse shows back up, we'll chain it down and make it stay.  If not, no worries.
My DeviantArt

I have almost a year of experience in knowing how my muse is working, guys. I really think it's better to just not start than do start and get your hopes up unnecessarily. =/

RubySlippers

What no one took the chief red shirt, you know Security Officer with the low survival rate unless your a main character?  :o

I'm game if original characters are ok.

And what is this no stun weapons surely taser weapons have to be around and cloth tipped gun shells we have those now. And I could see an electro pistol and rifle as non-lethal options in the future. Security is not always there to kill people if I have to capture a prisioner I'd rather have other options than shoot them or go hand-to-hand.

And they even have swat gadgets in the US that fire multiple tazer devices for crowd control I saw that on Deadliest Warrior.  ;D

Elohim

Haibane

Quote from: RubySlippers on June 10, 2010, 12:06:45 PM
What no one took the chief red shirt, you know Security Officer with the low survival rate unless your a main character?  :o

I'm game if original characters are ok.

And what is this no stun weapons surely taser weapons have to be around and cloth tipped gun shells we have those now. And I could see an electro pistol and rifle as non-lethal options in the future. Security is not always there to kill people if I have to capture a prisioner I'd rather have other options than shoot them or go hand-to-hand.

And they even have swat gadgets in the US that fire multiple tazer devices for crowd control I saw that on Deadliest Warrior.  ;D
I'm taking this as a steampunk universe - so steampunk weapons. As in Victorian era. Maybe up to around WWI I suppose? Not sure, I'm not a steampunk geek.

RubySlippers

I got it rock salt, that is classic and hurts like hell out of a shotgun. :D

Is there a security officer?

GloomCookie

Oook I just got a PM from Karma saying that she will not be playing.  And Ruby, you're asking for quite a bit given that we haven't really gotten anything set up quite yet.  I'm stretching steampunk as it is to include some of the tech from Star Trek, such as large coils for the transporter and what not.  I'm not including stun weapons because I want that feeling of old-school that steampunk brings.

Also, I don't think there really was a security officer specifically assaigned.  There was a tactical officer, Chekov, but that got shared with Sulu.  I think both of them together manned weapons and helm, with navigation also being shared amongst them.  Scotty and Keenser were both engineering, and Spock, while second officer, was primarily a scientist.
My DeviantArt

Haibane

While Uhura just wore a wide belt, had a wonderful bust and looked gorgeous.

RubySlippers

Quote from: Linna on June 10, 2010, 03:43:00 PM
Oook I just got a PM from Karma saying that she will not be playing.  And Ruby, you're asking for quite a bit given that we haven't really gotten anything set up quite yet.  I'm stretching steampunk as it is to include some of the tech from Star Trek, such as large coils for the transporter and what not.  I'm not including stun weapons because I want that feeling of old-school that steampunk brings.

Also, I don't think there really was a security officer specifically assaigned.  There was a tactical officer, Chekov, but that got shared with Sulu.  I think both of them together manned weapons and helm, with navigation also being shared amongst them.  Scotty and Keenser were both engineering, and Spock, while second officer, was primarily a scientist.

No a old school security officer, you know in the series and recent movie (the red shirt fell into the beam after going gung ho on the way down with the explosives if you recall he went Yeeee Haaaaa and refused to pop his chute until too late) who kicks butt with guns and bare hands and swords. In the old series they tended to die every episode they were in protecting the main characters like Kirk.

And anyway a shotgun with rocksalt was used in the old west and hurt like hell without killing so would be easily fine tech wise. I never did a steam punk game so am not sure what the tech is and we don't need transporters can't you just have shuttles?  ;)

The one in the movie was an engineer. :P

GloomCookie

Quote from: Karma on June 10, 2010, 07:31:35 PM
The one in the movie was an engineer. :P

Yes.  The Chief Engineer decided to prove he had bigger balls than anyone else on the away team, so he waited till the last second to pull his chute.  Which was stupid.  There was no one on the platform when they were expecting to land, he had the only set of explosives since he was the only one trained to use them, and I think his worst offense was being Australian.

From what I've been able to figure out, Scotty was responsible for both Engineering and security, which makes quite a bit of sense if you think about it.  If you're about to issue someone a gun and tell them to go stomping around the crawlspaces, you want them to know the ship like the back of their hands.  You also want them to know what to shoot at and what not to.  Sure, Engineering is an important target, but there are plenty of points between the Bridge and Engineering that are vulnerable.  Hell, one guy with an ax can cut the main bus from the Bridge to Engineering and sever all controls.

And no, there will be no rock salt unless it happens to exist naturally on a planet's surface.  And even then it's going to sit there, being happy rock salt, hoping someone doesn't come along and stuff it down a metal tube atop some powder and sends it flying out towards someone.  That's just rude.
My DeviantArt

GloomCookie

I will be posting the first thread now.  We'll be starting with a bit of a layover in the Gamanine System picking up supplies for the Enterprise.  It's strictly senior officers going and we're only there to pick up some spare parts for the Enterprise before we move on.  This is a good chance for us to get some RP started while we try and pick up a few more players.

Edit: RP Thread is up, if you have a character chosen out here, please go ahead and post.  I have Scotty, Uhura and Gaila taken already, so anyone else is free to choose who they want.  With approval.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71712.0
My DeviantArt

Haibane

I need to watch the new movie, still haven't seen it! That was why I didn't recognise a couple of the characters in the group pictures.

I also think we need an OOC thread.

GloomCookie

It's called Blockbuster.  You get your purse, I'll get the car.  MOVE IT!
My DeviantArt

Muse

Linna, I don't recognize a few of these charecters.  Is this just star trek done steam punk, or is it a crossover? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

They're all Trek, though from the new movie. The only one I can't name is the brown alien, but she is in the movie, though only for a moment casting a withering glare at someone.