Non buddies can see my YIM?

Started by Stygia, May 11, 2014, 08:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stygia

Hey guys, so I had an interesting experience lately - namely, I got an IM from someone who wasn't on my buddy list. I thought when you went into your On's/Off's, that little checkbox that says "Buddies Only" only showed my contact details to people on that list...

OR, is there a difference between the input for that contact information in the On's/Off's tab versus the input area for that information on the Forum Profile area? If I want to keep my YIM/other chat information to my Buddies Only, do I just enter it in the On's/Off's, and not in the Forum Profile?

Thanks!

Kye

The checkbox  in the ons and offs tab is for your ons and offs, not your IM's.  If you've entered your IM information in your profile that's visible to all members.  If you want it to be private you'll have to remove that info and only give it out to the people you want to chat with. 

Hope that helps!

Stygia

Ah, okay, I was under the impression that it limited all your contact information. Thanks!

Kye

Blythe

Quote from: Stygia on May 11, 2014, 08:43:54 PM
Hey guys, so I had an interesting experience lately - namely, I got an IM from someone who wasn't on my buddy list. I thought when you went into your On's/Off's, that little checkbox that says "Buddies Only" only showed my contact details to people on that list...

OR, is there a difference between the input for that contact information in the On's/Off's tab versus the input area for that information on the Forum Profile area? If I want to keep my YIM/other chat information to my Buddies Only, do I just enter it in the On's/Off's, and not in the Forum Profile?

Thanks!

Yep, there's two ways to input your IM info.

1) One is in your forum profile settings. This is visible to everyone and cannot be limited to Buddies Only. If you want to limit who sees your IM info, you will want to use method 2.

2) The other is in the Ons and Offs tab located at the top of your screen. Entering IM info here can be set to be viewed by Buddies Only. If I'm right, I have just removed my own IM info from my forum profile and configured my O/O one instead.